Surprise for Kyuhyun

Dude, Where's my cat?

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

I’d just woken up; the sun was already quite bright outside my window, and I could hear my flatmate clanging dishes in the kitchen. Granted they were thin walls, but he was making a lot of racket.

Today was my birthday, but I didn’t really feel like turning twenty one. It was too old to not have a girlfriend. I felt a little lame for not having one by now.

I guess it wasn’t the only thing I could be doing with my life. I mean, I already had a fulltime desk job and great friends. What more could you need to be happy. But it wasn’t what I needed that I was thinking about, it was what I wanted that was circulating my mind.

I just wanted someone to brag about. Did that seem selfish? Was that wrong?

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYU!” shouted Hongki as he burst into my room. He held a small white plate with a delicious looking piece of cake on it, and a fork beside it.

“Is that for me?” I asked, sitting up. Hongki sat on the bed beside me.

“No, I thought I’d bring it in here so that I could eat it in front of you on your birthday, when it’s your cake…”

“Alright! It was just a question!” I said back in defence. I laughed.

“Here,” he handed me the plate, and I took it gladly, eyeing up the lovely looking cake that should have been in my tummy three minutes ago.

“This looks good, did you make it? I heard lots of banging going on in the kitchen earlier,” I took the first bit of cake on the fork and ate it.

It was sweet and felt like it was melting on my tongue. There were chocolate chips in it, and it had a gooey centre.

“Well, that’s the back-up cake. I was going to make you one, but I messed it up,” he said, putting a finger to his chin.

I laughed. “I love how you sort of knew that the cake would be a disaster,”

“Well, it’s happened before, remember Shindong’s birthday?”

“Yeah, I had to run to the supermarket to get a cake before he came back from the amusement park because you’d burnt the one you’d made him, and you forgot to put the flour in.”

We both laughed at Hongki’s awful cooking skills, while I finished off the cake.

“Come out into the living room and I’ll give you your surprise,” his eyes widened excitedly, as he took the plate out of my hands.

I barely had time to say anything before he disappeared out the door.

Lee Hongki; two years younger than me and a little too energetic for my liking, but also one of my very good friends; He’s the type who would jump in front of a car for you *lol reference to severely –love that song* or would try his best to make you a cake, or just be there for you when you needed him.

In fact, scratch good friend, he’s a brilliant friend.

I slipped my dressing gown on and headed out of my room, down the hall and towards the living room, where Hongki had told me to go.

I walked into the open plan room; the kitchen to my immediate left, and living room spaced out in front of me. There was a white sofa in the middle of the room, facing the front door, and a TV in front of it. Just beside the sofa was a small woven basket with a pink bow tied to the top. There was a light pink and white striped blanket covering the “Something” hidden inside it.

I stepped closer to the little basket, and inside was a really little furry creature. It was asleep and purring lightly. The little creatures fur was a dark brown that had tints of blonde in it.

Hongki came into view from the other side of the room.

“You like it?” he asked smiling smugly. He had his arms folded and was leaning against the wall.

“What is it?” I asked, still a little puzzled as to what it was exactly that he’d gotten me.

“Why don’t you find out?”

I knelt down and carefully took the card from next to the sleeping creature, careful not to wake it up.

I opened the envelope labelled “Kyuhyun Hyung~” and looked at the card inside. It had a little cat on the front with it paws up in the air. The card read “Happy Cat Day”

I read the message inside. “Dear Kyu Hyung, Have a great birthday, and even though you’re twenty one, I won’t mention the fact that you don’t have a girlfriend yet for this birthday. I hope you enjoy your present and look after her wonderfully. Love Hongki”

I chuckled at the card.

“Thanks Hongki,” he said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

“You’re very welcome, Hyung,” he walked over and sat on the sofa, watching as I tried to carefully see when the creature was inside the basket without waking it; although it proved unsuccessful.

The little brown creature gave off a very little yowl and opened its little eyes widely, looking at me. Her face was so little and her whiskers didn’t look like they were real.

“Isn’t she cute?” asked Hongki with his head on his hands looking down at both of us.

“She’s adorable! Where did you get her?” I asked, the little kittens head.

“Sunny-Dale Animal Shelter in town; they have some of the loveliest animals there, and they don’t have homes,” He explained. “Apparently, they found this little one stuffed in some bush at the back of an abandoned swimming bath just two days ago, poor thing. I told the lady that I’d be taking her to loving home.”

“Sunny-Dale, huh? Sunny, I like that, I think I’ll call you Sunny,”