Chapter 7

Ms. Independent

 

 

It was only minutes after she fell asleep that she heard a shout from the other room. She opened her eyes and quickly left her room for Tiffany’s. She held the doorknob and expected the worst.

 

Once she opened the door, she saw Tiffany squirming on her bed and whimpering. She was also saying something Taeyeon heard as “Sorry!”

 

Taeyeon wondered what Tiffany was dreaming about. She saw that the girl was still squirming. Taeyeon hurriedly sat down on the bed beside Tiffany and tried waking her up. When it didn’t work, she tried to hold Tiffany by the arms to stop her from moving. When she eventually did stop, Taeyeon laid herself on the bed, hands still holding on to Tiffany.

 

Without her knowing, Taeyeon fell asleep beside Tiffany.

 

---

 

“Ugh...” Tiffany groaned as she sat up and held her head.

 

“Mmm...” Her head snapped to the side when she heard the soft hum. Her eyes widened at the sight of a sleeping Taeyeon. “Yah!” She pushed Taeyeon and laughed as the older girl fell to the ground.

 

“What the hell?” Taeyeon said as she sat up. She looked towards the bed and saw Tiffany laughing. “Why did you push me?”

 

Tiffany stopped laughing and answered, “Why are you here?”

 

“You only wanted to ask that? You could’ve gently woken me up instead of roughly pushing me to the ground.”

 

“But where’s the fun in that?” Tiffany said, smirking.

 

“I didn’t know you were playful,” Taeyeon said as she slowly stood up.

 

“Oh, there are a lot of things you don’t know about me Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“Uh, yeah, about that...” Taeyeon started. She suddenly remembered why she was in Tiffany’s room in the first place. “...who were you dreaming of last night? I mean, I don’t mean to intrude, but you were kind of shouting apologies and you wouldn’t stop moving around.” Taeyeon kept rambling and didn’t notice how Tiffany’s eyes widened.

 

“It was nothing!” Tiffany shouted. Taeyeon stopped talking and looked at Tiffany.

 

“Are you sure? It didn’t seem like nothing. Again, I don’t mean to pry, but... if you’re going to treat me like a friend then I guess I should do the same with you, huh?”

 

Tiffany smiled, “Yeah, I guess. Thanks. But it was really nothing. Don’t worry.”

 

Taeyeon wasn’t convinced but decided to let it go. She looked at the clock on Tiffany’s bedside table and saw that it was almost lunch time. “Omo, we slept that long?”

 

“Hmm?” Tiffany looked at Taeyeon before looking at the time. “Oh, wow. We did,” she said flatly. It was the first time in a long time that she woke up that late and she can’t help but admit to herself that she liked it. 

 

“You don’t seem bothered at all.”

 

Tiffany shrugged before standing up and heading for the bathroom. “Wash up and meet me in the kitchen. I’m hungry,” she said before entering the bathroom and closing the door. 

 

---

 

“Oh, you started cooking?” Taeyeon said as she entered the kitchen. It was obvious in her voice that she wasn’t the least bit surprised.

 

Tiffany turned around and said, “Yup. I’m making ramen. That okay?”

 

“Of course,” Taeyeon said. “Oh, and I see you’ve also prepared the dining table. How convenient.”

 

“Mmm.”

 

“And all that work while I was in the bathroom. Swift.”

 

Tiffany didn’t answer as she continued cooking.

 

“Hey boss,” Taeyeon called out after a while, teasing the younger girl, which earned her a glare, “where’d you go yesterday? You were pretty drunk and tired, you know.”

 

“Client meeting. Couldn’t help but drink a little.”

 

“A little. Yeah right,” Taeyeon scoffed. Tiffany turned to face her and raised an eyebrow.

 

“Sorry.” Taeyeon looked down in embarrassment.

 

“Why are you apologizing? I’m just surprised that you’re starting to act more comfortably around me. I like it.”

 

It was true, as much as Taeyeon wants to deny it. She knows that she has grown comfortable around the girl. Who wouldn’t? Though it has only been days since they first met, Tiffany has been nothing but nice to her, so she can’t help but feel comfortable easily.

 

“Yeah.” She grinned sheepishly.

 

“About what you said, well, I went to the client meeting at first, but when they left, I had a few rounds by myself.”

 

“You’re a drinker? Never would’ve thought.”

 

Tiffany chuckled, “Not really. I only get to drink when I don’t have much work. I guess I lost a bit of control last night since I was also a bit tired from the long meeting.”

 

“You should’ve called me though. You shouldn’t be driving when you drink.”

 

“What’s a couple of shots?”

 

“A couple of shots is nothing, but you didn’t just have a couple of shots,” Taeyeon pointed out.

 

“What’s done is done. I got back here in one piece right?”

 

“Yeah, barely.”

 

“Still.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t respond as she watched Tiffany turn the stove off and brought the food to the table.

 

“Eat up!” Tiffany said as she got herself some ramen and started eating. Taeyeon did the same as she mirrored the other girl’s actions.

 

---

 

Halfway through their lunch, Tiffany decided to start a conversation.

 

“Tae, do you really need that much money for you go here to Seoul alone? I mean, you don’t know anyone. Isn’t it a little scary?”

 

“Hmm? Well, I guess it can be a little scary, but if you’re doing it for someone you love and someone who deserves it, then I don’t mind sacrificing,” she answered before eating some more noodles.

 

“Oh. You really want your sister to finish school huh?”

 

“You bet. Not only do I love her, but she also deserves to be educated. She’s really smart and talented. I’d hate it if all those would go to waste just because we don’t have the money. I’d go to a different country if I have to just so she can attend school.”

 

Tiffany was amazed. “You’re really a good sister, you know that?”

 

Taeyeon chuckled, “So I’ve been told.” She paused. “But you know, if it’s for someone you really care for, then it’s not a problem.”

 

“Why not just ask a friend to lend you money? Or... why not ask me?”

 

Taeyeon frowned, “I much rather work for it than ask someone to lend me money. It works better that way, I think.”

 

Tiffany nodded and looked at Taeyeon with pure amazement. Then curiosity got to her.

 

“Tae, what if uncle dismisses you? What will you do then?”

 

Taeyeon shrugged, “Go back to Jeonju?”

 

Tiffany tilted her head, confused. “Why not look for other jobs here in Seoul?”

 

Taeyeon finished her ramen before answering. “My parents were against me leaving Jeonju just to find a job. Even my sister was. I had to force them into agreeing, which they eventually did, but they gave me a condition that if it doesn’t work out, no matter the reason, I should go back home.”

 

Tiffany nodded. “Well, about how many months do you need to work before you can pay for your sister’s tuition?”

 

Taeyeon chuckled, “With the amount your uncle wants to give me... I’d say about 3 months. Don’t get me wrong, I told him I don’t mind receiving a smaller amount and probably spending more time here, but he insisted since you can be a handful,” she smiled before continuing, “And you are.”

 

Tiffany smiled back. She was enjoying the older girl’s company and friendship, no matter how new, so it would be sad if she suddenly leaves. Plus, the fact that the girl was doing it all for a family member warmed Tiffany’s heart.

 

As much as Tiffany didn’t need an assistant, she wanted to help the other girl to at least save up enough money to pay for her sister’s school.

 

---

 

After washing the dishes, Tiffany excused herself and went to her bedroom.

 

Taeyeon stood in front of the couch wondering what she can do. There was nothing she can fix or clean secretly since Tiffany woke up earlier again and practically did the house cleaning by herself. She frowned and sighed before sitting down on the couch only to jump in surprise when the TV suddenly switched on.

 

She felt the hair on her skin stand up at the thought of ghosts. She looked around the house hoping to find Tiffany standing somewhere holding the remote control, but there was no one except her. 

 

She stopped looking when she faced the TV and saw that the movie showing was the movie she wanted to see the most right now. 

 

She forgot about everything and stared at the TV.

 

---

 

“Uncle,” she said through the phone.

 

“Oh, Miyoung-ah. Is there a problem?”

 

“I just wanted to ask something... for a friend. If it’s not a bother, of course.”

 

She heard him chuckle, “Of course not. Go on, what is it?”

 

“We agreed on giving Taeyeon one month right?”

 

“Uh-huh,” he paused, “Oh wait, please don’t tell me you want her out now? Miyoung, we’ve talked about this. It hasn’t even been a week yet.”

 

She giggled at her uncle, “No uncle. Actually, I wanted to ask for an extension.”

 

“Extension? What do you mean?”

 

“Extend the one month to at least three?”

 

“Oh?” Her uncle was clearly surprised. “Why is that?”

 

“Well, she told me about how much she wanted her sister to finish school and that three months is probably all she’ll need to save up for that. So... can we?”

 

“That kid is really something huh?” He said. “Sure, of course, we can do that. Is she doing her job?”

 

“Uncle, you know me. I don’t need help.”

 

“Hmm... then I might have to lower her salary.”

 

She frowned. “What? Why?”

 

“Because she’s not doing anything Miyoung. As much as I want to help her, I hired her to do a job. If she’s not doing it, then why pay her?”

 

“But uncle, she needs money.”

 

“Then you need to start asking her to do things for you or she might not be able to save up for her sister. Three months, Miyoung-ah.” She can almost hear him smirk. “I’ll see you soon.” 

 

With that, her uncle ended their phone conversation.