Chapter 6

Ms. Independent

 

 

On the way home, Taeyeon tried to strike up a conversation. “Have you eaten lunch?” she asked while glancing at the other girl.

Tiffany didn’t answer and continued being silent. Taeyeon feared for her life. She knew Tiffany would be mad as hell because of what she did, but part of her didn’t care. That part of her was glad that she made a move or else she’d feel completely bad for not doing anything for the younger girl when that was what she was paid to do.

“I’m sorry,” she said as she stopped at a red light. She didn’t look at Tiffany because she was afraid of the girl’s gaze.

Tiffany still didn’t answer. She glanced at Taeyeon and saw how scared the other girl was. She unconsciously chuckled at the sight.

Taeyeon heard the chuckle that eventually became soft giggles. She snapped her head to the side where Tiffany was. She frowned.

Tiffany saw it and stopped. She looked at Taeyeon again before sighing. She pointed at the stoplight ahead and Taeyeon saw that it has already turned green. She removed her foot from the brake and stepped on the gas pedal.

The ride was quiet again for a few minutes before Tiffany spoke up, which surprised Taeyeon.

“I’m not mad. Just... don’t do it again okay? I just don’t want to bother you like that.” She mumbled the last part but Taeyeon still heard it.

“What? You’re not a bother.”

“Yeah, that’s what he said,” Tiffany muttered under her breath.

“Hmm? Did you say something?”

Tiffany shook her head.

“Anyway, like I said, you’re not a bother. In case you forgot this is what I’m paid to do.” She glanced at Tiffany and smiled.

Tiffany rolled her eyes, “You’re not going to leave me alone no matter what I tell you huh?”

“Hey, I leave you alone.”

“Sure, after I scold you.”

“Well, yeah.”

“So, no matter what, you’re going to be this stubborn?”

“I’m just as stubborn as you are,” Taeyeon said and gave Tiffany a wide smile.

Tiffany smiled as well then shook her head.

---

Four girls were gathered in the living room of a medium-sized house.

“Interesting.” Jessica said after the three younger ones told her what happened in the café.

“That’s what I said!” The youngest said.

The tallest chuckled, “If we did that to Tiffany, for sure it’ll be the deathbed for us.”

“They’re both stubborn, which is a good thing in Taeyeon’s case. Maybe it’s better if she doesn’t know about Tiffany’s past after all.”

Everyone grew quiet at the mention of Tiffany’s past. No one was sure if they weren’t allowed to talk about it even if Tiffany wasn’t there.

Jessica sighed and bravely started the topic, “I think it’s silly that she’s still holding on to that. I mean, how long has it been? 10 years? 12 years?”

“She’s still blaming herself for what happened, but really, who would’ve known that that crazy aunt of hers is that crazy,” Yuri said.

“Hey, don’t say that,” Yoona frowned at her.

“It’s true though.” Sooyoung agreed with Yuri. “She went to that extent just to prove her point, but who could blame Tiffany? She was still young; she was still in high school for crying out loud. She needed someone to care for her.”

“Tell that to the dead woman.” Yuri said earning a smack on the head from her girlfriend.

“I told you not to talk like that!” Yoona said.

“Sorry,” Yuri mumbled while holding the back of her head.

Jessica ignored the couple, “What can we do? I mean, we tried, her uncle tried, heck, everyone in her office tried, but she just wouldn’t forget about it. Remember when I tried to set her up with guys countless of times just to make her forget about it?” The three nodded, “Yeah, turned them all down even before they could say good evening.”

“What do you expect from her though? I’m surprised she’s this nice to Taeyeon even if that kid is as stubborn as her.”

“Maybe that’s what she needs. Someone as stubborn as her. I mean, think about it, we were always so tolerant towards her, even her uncle. We never thought about being as stubborn as her. Funny thing is, Taeyeon isn’t even doing this to make her forget about her past. Taeyeon’s just... stubborn.”

“Yeah. Now that I think about it, it kinda makes sense.”

They all laughed. Never have they been so thankful that another stubborn person came to their crazy group.

---

“Hey Tae! I’m going out for a while okay? Just cook something for yourself and don’t wait up for me!”

“Okay!” Taeyeon shouted from the kitchen.

Tiffany walked by the kitchen and smiled at Taeyeon before making her way to the front door.

“Whew! Good thing I din’t cook for her,” Taeyeon said enthusiastically.

Tiffany heard it and smiled a small smile before closing her apartment’s door.

---

It was an hour past midnight and Tiffany has yet to return home.

Taeyeon was starting to get worried. Although Tiffany told her not to wait up, but being the stubborn person that she is, she waited.

She looked up at the clock and saw that it was already 1:05 in the morning. She didn’t know what to do. She wanted to call Tiffany but thought otherwise when she realized that the girl might be driving.

She stood up and sat back down on the couch. She stood up again and sat back down. “Gosh, it feels like I’m exercising,” she muttered. She stood up and started pacing around the living room.

She walked back and forth for 10 minutes until she felt dizzy. She sat back down and saw her phone. She grabbed it and was about to call Tiffany when she realized that she doesn’t know the younger girl’s number.

She scratched her head and let out a soft giggle. “How stupid of me.” She stopped giggling and sighed. She scrolled through her contact list and found Yuri’s name. She was about to press ‘call’ when she heard the sound of keys banging against each other. Soon enough, the front door opened, revealing a slightly drunk Tiffany who was wobbling more than walking. 

Taeyeon made her way to the girl and held her waist to guide her to the bedroom.

Tiffany slightly pushed Taeyeon away, “Yah, what are you doing?”

“Helping you,” Taeyeon answered while putting her arm back around Tiffany’s waist.

“I told you not to wait for me right?” She tried pushing Taeyeon away again but failed because she was too tired.

Taeyeon chuckled at the failed effort and slowly guided Tiffany to her bedroom; not even bothering to answer the girl’s question. She felt Tiffany get heavier half way there. She tilted her head to take a peek at Tiffany and saw that the girl was slowly falling asleep. She suppressed a laugh and walked faster.

Once they were in the room, Tiffany all but fell face first on the soft surface called her bed. Taeyeon gasped but shrugged the next second. She tried moving Tiffany to a better position but failed miserably when she found out that the girl was heavier than she expected. 

She sighed and decided to just leave the girl as is. “She’ll probably move by herself when she wakes up in the middle of...” she glanced at the clock and saw that it was already 1:45, “...the morning.” She finished her sentence with a chuckle. She left the room and made her way to her own room. 



 

More clue about Tiffany's past! YEY~ 

Thanks to the new subscribers and the comments! :)