Chapter 45

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: One more chapter, yes? :) Honestly, this chapter was done weeks ago but I wanted to post it when I finish the last chapter. Unfortunately, it’s taking me forever to finish chapter 46 so I’m just going to post this now and write the rest of the last chapter later.


 

 

“Oh Lord, why must you be so heavvvvyyy?”

 

“Quit complaining and walk faster, Soo.”

 

“Yah! I can complain if I want to, Kwon Yuri. You don’t know what it feels like to carry an oversized child – who might be drooling right now, by the way – on your back! I feel like my spine’s going to give any minute now.”

 

“Shut up! You’re gonna wake her up and give us all a harder time!”

 

“How the heck are you having a hard time now? You can run and still have an easier time,” Sooyoung grumbled but fastened her footsteps anyway.

 

---

 

He woke up to the incessant ringing of the doorbell. Groaning, he got out off bed and slipped on his robe before making his way to the front door.

 

He opened it and almost jumped when he was met by four – no, five – girls standing – one was sleeping, actually – in front of him.

 

“Good even– er, morning, Uncle Hwang.”

 

He took a quick glance at the clock. “What are you girls doing here at such an ungodly hour?”

 

“Er, we completed our mission.” Yuri nodded towards the still snoozing figure resting quite comfortably on Sooyoung’s back.

 

Uncle Hwang nodded his head in understanding. “Well, Sooyoung, you can take her to the guest room while the rest of you can join me in the living room.”

 

They entered the house and Sooyoung trudged to the guest room, almost throwing Taeyeon’s body on the bed. She huffed and glared at the unconscious girl before walking out of the room.

 

“So what took you guys so look? I expected you to arrive with Taeyeon earlier.”

 

Yuri, Yoona and Jessica turned their heads towards Sooyoung, who could only scratch her head and smile sheepishly.

 

“Did something happen?” Uncle Hwang asked.

 

“Yes, Sooyoung happened.”

 

They went on to tell them about how they did their mission – mishaps and all – making the old man laugh.

 

“Well, at least you still got the job done. I’m hoping Tiffany didn’t notice?”

 

Sooyoung shook her head. “She was sleeping like a log. Even when we moved her to her bed. Might be tired from the party. Much like Taeyeon, actually. I remember knocking her head on the wall a few times and she didn’t even budge.”

 

“Maybe you knocked the poor kid unconscious, Soo.”

 

“Brain damage.”

 

“Or maybe you killed her.”

 

“Yah! I did not! She was still breathing when I put her in the guest room...” she trailed off. She was breathing, wasn’t she?

 

Uncle Hwang chuckled at the four. “Alright, alright. Break it off before you fight for real. It’s quite late now and I know all of you are tired. Jessica’s practically sleeping with her eyes open there. Why don’t you all head home and I’ll see you girls for Tiffany’s party tonight, hmm?”

 

They nodded and bade goodbye.

 

---

 

She felt a gust of wind hit her body and immediately tried to snuggle her body against the other behind hers.

 

She frowned when she felt nothing. She turned around, still with her eyes closed, and reached out, only for her hand to hit the empty side of the bed. 

 

Groaning, she opened her eyes. Her frown grew deeper when she saw no one beside her. Maybe Taeyeon was awake?

 

She sat up and stretched. She sat there for a minute, looking around the room. Only then did she realize that she was in her bedroom. Taeyeon must’ve carried me here? She shrugged to herself.

 

It was strangely quiet in her apartment. If Taeyeon was awake, then why was it too silent? Shouldn’t she be hearing the shower? Or maybe a cabinet closing? Or pans in the kitchen?

 

There was nothing but silence.

 

Her phone beeped, snapping her out of her thoughts. She fished her phone from her bag that was on her table and read a message from Jessica.

 

Happy birthday, Fany Fany Tiffany!

Hope you enjoy it!

See you at Uncle Hwang’s!

 

She smiled. Her birth–

 

Her smile disappeared. Suddenly, the lack of noise in her apartment made sense. Without another thought, she rushed to Taeyeon’s room.

 

Or what used to be Taeyeon’s room.

 

She opened the door and gasped. It was empty.

 

She opened the closet. Empty.

 

The bathroom. Empty.

 

She covered as she felt a surge of tears coming. She moved to the bed, sat on it and cried.

 

No clothes.

 

No bags.

 

No Taeyeon.

 

She didn’t even say goodbye.

 

---

 

A loud clang from outside woke her up.

 

She huffed and struggled to open her eyes. Everything was blurry. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. Taking her time to clear her vision.

 

Once her vision was clear, she looked around and frowned. Did she sleepwalk to her room last night? Or did Tiffany carry her?

 

But... This isn’t even my room. 

 

Curious, she stood up and headed for the door.

 

Where am I?

 

---

 

“Soonkyu-ah, what time are we supposed to be at Mr. Hwang’s again?”

 

“Around 6, Auntie.”

 

“Okay then.” The woman turned to her daughter. “Hayeon-ah, wear the dress we bought the other day okay? I want you to look good later.”

 

“Yes, Umma!”

 

“Hyo,” Sunny talked to her girlfriend, “has Jessica messaged you about Taeyeon?”

 

“Yes, babe! Taeyeon’s there.”

 

---

 

She walked out of the room and into what she thought was the living room. 

 

This is strangely familiar. Have I been here before?

 

She heard noises from another room in the house. She took a deep breath before braving herself to take a peek.

 

“Mr. Hwang?” He kidnapped me? Why?

 

The man turned around at the voice and smiled warmly. “Oh good, you’re finally awake. I was beginning to think Sooyoung really did kill you or something.” He chuckled.

 

“Er...” Mr. Hwang kidnapped me and Sooyoung wanted to kill me?! What. Is. Going. On?!

 

---

 

She opened her eyes forcefully. They hurt from crying and if it weren’t for the incessant ringing of her phone, she would’ve probably never open them.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Fany-ah! Happy birt–”

 

She ended the call just like that. She felt bad that she had to hang up on Sooyoung but today was anything but a happy birthday. She was sure Sooyoung would understand.

 

Another beep from her phone caught her attention. Hesitantly, she grabbed it and read the message from her uncle.

 

Happy birthday, Sweetie.

I’ll see you here at 7, okay?

I love you, Dear.

 

Oh yeah, the party. She forgot about that. Did she even want to celebrate now?

 

---

 

Uncle Hwang chuckled at the dazed girl sitting across the table. “Having a hard time grasping everything?”

 

She could only nod. She was still trying to process everything he told her. It was too much for her to take in and although she was thankful for all he did, her mind was still swirling with information. Everything was solved. There was nothing to worry about. She couldn’t believe it.

 

He smiled. “Well, take your time.”

 

“B-but... w-why? Isn’t it too much, sir?” She owed him so, so much. How could she even repay him?

 

“Anything for my niece, Taeyeon-ah.” He smiled proudly. “By the way, Taeyeon-ah,” he put down the newspaper he was holding. “I want to thank you for what you did for Miyoung. It means so much to me, really.”

 

She blinked. “O-oh. It’s nothing, sir. It was my job.” 

 

“It’s much more than that, and you know it, Taeyeon. I was only planning to look for a suitable assistant for Miyoung but got something – someone – much, much better.” He smiled softly at her before it turned into a teasing smirk. “How is she as a girlfriend, by the way?”

 

Taeyeon almost choked. “W-what?! You knew?!” She didn’t mean to yell, but was caught off guard and couldn’t control her voice.

 

Uncle Hwang winced then laughed. “Calm down, Taeyeon. Yes, I knew. I know love when I see it even when you try your best to hide it from me.” He smiled. “Although I didn’t know why Miyoung chose to hide it from me.” He sighed.

 

“A-and you’re okay with it?”

 

“Why wouldn’t I be?” He raised an eyebrow.

 

“W-well, our relationship isn’t exactly... normal s-so...”

 

“True,” he nodded, “but I’ve never seen my niece this happy before and trust me, that’s more important than keeping up with any norm.” He smiled at her. “I’ve spent years trying to get through to her stubborn head but always failed. You, Taeyeon, have managed to do it in less time. Not only that, you’ve also managed to capture her heart – her heart that deserves to love and to be loved in return. She has suffered so much since she was little and now that she has a reason to smile that beautiful smile... who am I to take that away from her?”

 

She felt a surge of tears coming. She was happy – thankful and happy. 

 

He noticed the watery eyes and almost panicked, but relaxed when he saw a smile forming on her face. He wanted to pat himself on the back. Good job, Hwang. 

 

“Thank you, sir. I don’t know how I could ever repay you.”

 

“Stop calling me sir and we’re even. Call me Uncle instead, okay?”

 

She nodded her head at the man she grew to respect and love.

 

He stood up. “Well, I trust you understand the plan for the party?”

 

She nodded.

 

He smiled. “Good. Anyway, there are some things I need to take care of before the party. Make yourself at home while I’m out, okay?” He waited for her response before leaving the house.

 

---

 

“Aish! Where are they? We’re going to be late!”

 

“Yuri, it’s only 5:30. why are you so eager to go to the party anyway?”

 

“I wanna see Tiffany’s reaction when Uncle Hwang makes the big reveal! It’s going to be epic!”

 

“No doubt!”

 

---

 

“Choi Sooyoung! What is taking you so damn long?! It’s almost 6! We need to get there before Tiffany does!” Jessica shouted from the living room. She was getting impatient waiting for Sooyoung for almost half an hour. Even she was dressed and ready to go minutes ago.

 

There was no response and the fire in Jessica’s eyes grew larger. Sooyoung was lucky she hadn’t thought of burning the house down, Choi Sooyoung with it– okay, maybe she has... once!

 

Jessica stomped her feet and marched to their bedroom, only to find Sooyoung in the middle of a messy heap of clothes. “What the hell is taking you so long? And why is it so messy?”

 

“I couldn’t find the dress I wore for my birthday last year. I badly want to wear it tonight,” Sooyoung said with a pout.

 

A pout that would’ve instantly melted Jessica’s insides if not for the overwhelming anger building within her. “Just pick any dress, for crying out loud!”

 

“No! I look good in that dress! That dress makes me shine! I stand out!”

 

“Good Lord, Sooyoung! You’re not even supposed to shine tonight. It’s Tiffany’s party, not yours!” She walked closer and grabbed a white dress on top of the heap and threw it on the bed. “That. I want you to wear that. Be quick. Don’t complain. I’m already angry as it is. Don’t make me angrier.”

 

Jessica left the room before Sooyoung could even open .