Chapter 44

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: This was supposed to be up two days ago, but I decided to do some last minute changes so... here you go! Just 1-2 more chapters left guys so hang in there. :)

Anipang friends: Guys, you should stop playing and let me be number 1 for at least a week! Haha! Btw, thanks for the hearts! :) <3


 

 

The party started a little over an hour ago and her employees were having the time of their lives. Most were dancing to the beat of the loud music while the others were chatting and laughing with one another.

 

Everyone was busy enjoying themselves that they didn’t notice the lone figure sitting by the corner. The party was supposed to be for her but she wasn’t in any mood to celebrate. She much rather go home but knew well not to spoil her workers’ fun. Rarely do they get a break from work and Tiffany’s birthday parties were one of the days they would.

 

She sat there in silence, gripping the wine glass lightly, and looked around the room. She felt someone tap her shoulder and looked up to see Yonghwa smiling at her.

 

“Mind if I sit with you?”

 

She smiled back. “Not at all, Yong. Go ahead.”

 

He did as he was told and looked at her. “How are you enjoying the party so far?”

 

She wasn’t, but she couldn’t tell him that. Besides, other than the fact that the only person she wished to be with that time wasn’t there, the party was great. “It’s great.” She tried to sound as sincere as she could.

 

Yonghwa smiled amusedly. “Liar.”

 

She almost forgot how the guy in front of her knew her so well. He was one of her workers she was particularly close with – other than Juhyun, Sulli and Nicole. The four of them have been with her since she first got to the company so it was no surprise that they could read her like an open book – much like Jessica and the others. 

 

Yonghwa patter her hand. “It’s okay, Tiffany, I understand. But at least stay until after you blow your cake? Sulli had it made especially for you.”

 

She was touched. “She did? Well, okay. I guess I can stay until after that.”

 

“Good.”

 

---

 

“I knew it!” Yuri exclaimed and faced Sooyoung.

 

“At least I managed to get the key from the landlord!” Sooyoung had to defend herself.

 

She was ignored. “This is why I refuse to trust your plans. Foolproof or not, you always mess up. You didn’t even find out if she was here or not!”

 

“I’m sorry okay! But how was I supposed to know that she wasn’t going to be here? I only knew that Tiffany was going to be out because of the party Juhyun’s throwing for her.”

 

“Shut up before I throw something at you,” Jessica said as she plopped herself down on the sofa and massaged her temples.

 

Yoona giggled as Sooyoung stopped talking immediately. She sat beside Jessica. “So what are we going to do now?”

 

Yuri walked towards one of the rooms and opened the door. “Hmm, well, Taeyeon’s things are here. Might as well get these things out of here so we can work as fast as we can when Taeyeon arrives.”

 

“Good idea!” Sooyoung exclaimed.

 

“I’m glad you liked my idea because you’re carrying these bags to the car while the three of us think of how to salvage this plan.”

 

“Wha–”

 

“Don’t complain,” Jessica interrupted. “Your plan failed so this is the least you can do to make it up to us. Now go!”

 

---

 

Yonghwa left her sitting there while he talked to some of his co-workers. She was bored again and wanted nothing but go home but she promised him that she was going to stay until after the candle-blowing. She slumped her shoulders and leaned against her chair as she tapped her fingers to the beat of the music. 

 

She closed her eyes and was about to doze off – thanks to the wine – when a hand landed on her shoulder. She jumped in surprise and quickly turned her head. She almost gasped when she was greeted by a familiar smile. 

 

“So why isn’t the birthday girl enjoying her birthday party?”

 

Because you weren’t here. “I...” She was speechless. The person she had been dying to see the whole night was right in front of her, smiling that smile that she loved.

 

“May I have this dance?” Taeyeon’s right hand was held in front of her.

 

Gently, she placed her hand on Taeyeon’s palm and let the older girl pull her up from the seat. They made their way to the dance floor. Tiffany watched as the sea of her dancing employees parted to create a path towards the center. With a snap of Taeyeon’s fingers, the light dimmed and the song immediately changed in to a much slower one.

 

She looked around the room and saw her employees dancing in pairs, circling around the center of the dance floor where she and Taeyeon were.

 

Tiffany gasped when Taeyeon pulled her closer by the hand. Taeyeon took both hands and slowly led them to her shoulders. Taeyeon then placed her own hands on Tiffany’s hips, slowly leading their dance. They were looking deeply into each other’s eyes as their bodies swayed from side to side. 

 

“You look beautiful,” Taeyeon said.

 

“T-thank you. W-why are you here?”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes twinkled in amusement. “You don’t want me here?” She teased Tiffany by letting her hands slowly fall from Tiffany’s hips.

 

Sensing Taeyeon’s loosing grip, she panicked. “No no no! I was just asking because you told me you had to pack your things and so I thought–” 

 

Taeyeon ended Tiffany’s rambling by placing her lips on Tiffany’s. It was a quick kiss that left both of them wanting more. 

 

Taeyeon smiled, re-placing her hands back on Tiffany’s hips. “Juhyun called me about a party and asked if I could come as a surprise. Apparently, you found out about the surprise party but they really wanted to surprise you with something else.” She chuckled. “I was supposed to come out with the cake and surprise you then, but seeing your cute pout throughout the night made me unable to control myself from coming near you.”

 

Tiffany blushed then remembered something Yonghwa said. Cake? “Cake? You were supposed to bring me the cake? By any chance, did you make the cake?”

 

Taeyeon laughed. “Yeah, I did, and I forgot to clean up the kitchen too.” She shook her head. “Remind me to clean it up when we get home.”

 

Tiffany hesitated before asking, “So, you’re done packing?”

 

“Yup, I am.”

 

Tiffany sighed and looked down.

 

Taeyeon lifted her head by the chin. “Hey, don’t be sad. It’s your party and I don’t want to see you sulking. I rushed to finish packing just to spend more time with you so let’s enjoy it okay?”

 

Tiffany nodded and let Taeyeon peck her lips.

 

---

 

“Why the hell is this kitchen so messy?”

 

“Did a bomb explode in here?”

 

“Maybe they did it here?”

 

All heads turned to Sooyoung. “Ewwww!”

 

---

 

Tiffany walked in after Taeyeon and closed the door behind her. She sat on the couch and closed her eyes. The party ended quite late and although she enjoyed it a lot, she was dead tired. She didn’t know if she could walk another step to her bedroom so she had to settle for the couch while waiting for Taeyeon.

 

Meanwhile, Taeyeon walked in the kitchen and found it a little messier than when she left it. She scratched her head. I don’t remember taking out the ice cream. Nevertheless, she started cleaning up the huge mess.

 

Half an hour later, she was finally done. She walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. She smiled when she saw Tiffany sleeping on the couch with her head thrown back. She chuckled. As much as she wanted to carry Tiffany to the bedroom, it was physically impossible especially since she was tired.

 

She resorted to making Tiffany lie properly. That, however, woke Tiffany up.

 

“Hey,” Taeyeon smiled. “Why don’t we go to the bedroom so you can sleep properly, huh?”

 

Tiffany shook her head. “No, no. I still want to talk.”

 

“But you’re tired. We can do that tomorrow.”

 

“No. You’re leaving tomorrow. I don’t want to waste the time I have left with you.”

 

Taeyeon only smiled sadly.

 

Tiffany sat up properly and patted the empty space beside her. “Come on, let’s talk until the sun rises.”

 

Taeyeon chuckled then complied. The moment she was sitting, Tiffany’s head immediately found her shoulder, comfortably resting it there. She grabbed Tiffany’s hand and intertwined their fingers. “So what do you want to talk about?” 

 

---

 

“Shh! The door’s opening!”

 

Immediately, the all quieted down and waited for more sounds coming from outside. They heard noises from the kitchen and assumed that someone was finally cleaning up the mess. 

 

“Oh sh– We forgot about the ice cream! What if they notice it?!” Sooyoung panicked.

 

“Shh!” Yuri covered . “I told you not to touch anything from there but you just had to eat the ice cream and leave it there for the whole world to see!”

 

“I got hungry after carrying Taeyeon’s bags okay!”

 

“Shush you two! They might here us!”

 

---

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Didn’t you tell me that you’re brother and his family are here in Seoul?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“So why did you never visit him? Don’t you miss him?”

 

“Of course I do.” Taeyeon sighed. “It’s just that... er... he doesn’t know I’m here.”

 

“What?”

 

“I didn’t tell him I was here because he was totally against the idea. He told me that he would work overtime just to pay for Hayeon’s education but that’s too much for him. I mean, he has his own family to take care of. I can’t make him pay for that when I can work for it instead. I know he’d get mad at me if he knew I was here so I never told him. I also asked my parents not to tell him.”

 

Tiffany nodded. “So, that’s why.”

 

They continued talking until they fell asleep in each other’s arms.

 

---

 

“I think they’re asleep,” Yoona whispered as she pressed her ear against the door and heard nothing but silence.

 

“Sooyoung!” Jessica hissed at the girl who was about to doze off. “Check if they’re asleep.”

 

That jolted Sooyoung awake. “What?! Why me?!”

 

“Because it’s your fault we’re stuck here.”

 

Sooyoung groaned. “Ugh. One mistake! One mistake and they make me do all the work.” Nonetheless, she opened the door slowly, flinching when it made a loud creaking noise. 

 

“Carefully, Soo!” Yuri hissed.

 

“I know, I know,” she muttered. She went out of the room and tiptoed to the living room where she found Tiffany and Taeyeon snoozing peacefully on the couch. She gushed at the sight. Aww!

 

She went back to the room and motioned for the other girls that the coast was clear. “Let’s go!”