Chapter 42

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: I’m so out of my element right now. Sorry for taking too long to update. if you follow me or have talked to me on Twitter, I might’ve mentioned why. Anyway, just... 3 more chapters until the end? Yup. :) Enjoy.


 

 

 

“They what?!” Mr. Hwang’s loud, surprised voice was heard from the other line.

 

Sunny nodded unconsciously. “Yup, they broke up.”

 

Mr. Hwang sighed. “Well, I can’t say I didn’t expect that to happen.” He took a brief pause to think. “But the plan is still on. I don’t want them to go through all this heartache but the plan should still push through. Besides, they’ll only have to endure for a few more days.”

 

“So what are we going to do now?” She was watching Hyoyeon play video games – and losing terribly – with Hayeon. Man, she’s pretty bad at this game.

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Huh?” She thought she heard wrong. “Nothing?”

 

“Console them, of course, but other than that, do nothing.”

 

“O-okay.” She didn’t know where he was going, but decided to trust the man. 

 

“Thank you again, Soonkyu. Just a few more days and everything will be done.”

 

“You’re welcome, Uncle Hwang.”

 

---

 

“Unnie, are you okay?” Sulli asked. 

 

They were at a restaurant not too far from their office having late dinner after a very productive meeting.

 

“H-huh? Oh, yeah, of course I am.” She tried to smile, but truthfully, she was far from okay.

 

It was another day of going to work without Taeyeon and she was dying inside. She missed Taeyeon very much but she had to stay strong. Only four days left until Taeyeon’s departure and she wasn’t going to make it harder for the girl to leave.

 

“Okay, Unnie. Well, how about we talk about your birthday party then?” Juhyun and the other were supposed to throw Tiffany a surprise birthday party but she unexpectedly walked in on them one afternoon inside the pantry and Nicole, being the talkative person that she was, continued rambling on about their plans without knowing that Tiffany was standing right behind her. 

 

Tiffany sighed. She wanted to tell them that she was no longer in the mood to celebrate but that would mean wasting their efforts. Besides, her birthday parties at the office were more of a celebration for the whole office’s hard work than her actual birthday. “I trust you guys. You know what I like.”

 

“So still at the office?”

 

She nodded. “Yes, you know I don’t like spending much on the venue. Just make sure there’s good food and overflowing drinks and we’ll be fine.”

 

“Got it, Unnie.”

 

---

 

“Don’t you think the party’s going to be too simple, though? I mean, we should do something more. Tiffany unnie’s been very down lately.”

 

Nicole, Yonghwa, Sulli and Juhyun stayed back after Tiffany bid goodbye. The four were always the masterminds to Tiffany’s parties.

 

“Well, Nicole spoiled the suprise,” Juhyun said, earning a pout from Nicole. She ignored it and continued, “but I’m sure we can still surprise her with something else.”

 

“What do you have in mind?” Yonghwa asked.

 

“Well...”

 

---

 

Taeyeon was about to slip under the covers when her phone rang. She groaned and picked it up before looking at the caller ID.

 

“Juhyun?”

 

---

 

Juhyun ended the call and smiled at her friends. “Now that that’s out of the way, how about we go home and rest? We can bother ourselves with the party tomorrow.”

 

“Okay. Let’s go.”

 

---

 

She walked out of her room, all ready for work. She walked quietly  as she passed the kitchen to the front door but stopped when she felt a soft hand grab her wrist.

 

“Aren’t you going to eat breakfast?”

 

She bit her lip and fought the urge to turn around and hug the owner of the voice. She missed her so much. “N-no,” she stammered without looking back. She cleared . “I have an early meeting today.”

 

“Again? You’ve been missing breakfast since...” Taeyeon’s voice trailed off.

 

“I really have an early meet–”

 

Taeyeon sighed and let go of her wrist. “Do you really have to avoid me like that?”

 

She spun around immediately after hearing what Taeyeon said. She saw the sad and hurt eyes. “I’m not avoiding you,” she tried saying with a steady voice.

 

“That was the same excuse you used yesterday–”

 

“But it’s tru–”

 

“And the other day. Even the day after that.” Taeyeon sighed again. “I know we broke up but...” she took a deep breath. “...is my presence bothering you?”

 

“W-what?” She wasn’t expecting that. 

 

“You don’t eat breakfast anymore. You leave early for work. You don’t even come home as early as before. If it’s because of me then I guess I can move back to my old apartment. There’s only four days left anyway and I–”

 

“No!” She did avoid Taeyeon these past few days after their break up but that was only because she didn’t know if she could stop herself from hugging and kissing the girl every time she saw her. She avoided Taeyeon but that didn’t mean she wanted Taeyeon to move out. She still wanted to see the old girl around even if it meant constantly peeking from behind whatever wall she was closest to.

 

“But everything seems so awkward around here and I don’t want you to feel uneasy in your own home.”

 

Tiffany sighed. “I’m sorry. It’s just...” She didn’t know how to continue.

 

Taeyeon weakly smiled. “It’s fine. Like I said, I can always move out. I’ll still be here during the day, so you don’t have to worry about me not fulfilling my job.”

 

Tiffany shook her head. “No no. You’re not moving. Nobody’s moving out.” She ran a hand through her hair and took a deep breath. “I’m sorry for avoiding you. I just... I don’t know. I didn’t think I could take being with you in the same room for so long without hugging you or kissing you.” She blushed when she realized what she just admitted.

 

“I know what you mean,” Taeyeon said in a small voice. Her cheeks were the same color as Tiffany’s. “And I know it’s really hard but I hope we can get past that. I mean, there’s only a few days left, I don’t want to spend the rest of our days together ignoring each other.”

 

The reminder of Taeyeon’s departure made Tiffany quiet. 

 

“Tiffany?”

 

“H-huh?”

 

“Can we at least go back to being friends? It’s better than avoiding and ignoring each other.”

 

“Friends.”

 

Taeyeon beamed a smile. “Good. How about that breakfast then?”

 

“Okay.” Tiffany followed after Taeyeon to the kitchen. Better than nothing.

 

---

 

“So we just sneak in inside the apartment and carry her out of there? Just like that?” Yuri asked as she gave Yoona a slice of pizza.

 

Sooyoung nodded. “Yup! It’ll be easy, trust me.”

 

Yuri looked at her suspiciously. “You know, things always go wrong when you tell us to trust you, so I’m just going to play it safe and not trust you.”

 

“Yah!” Her drink almost spilled as she abruptly stood up from her seat to pounce on the laughing Yuri. Jessica had to pull her down to make her stop.

 

“What? I’m just saying the truth, Sooyoung-ah.”

 

Sooyoung scoffed. “We just have to take her with us! What’s so hard about that? There are four of us, it shouldn’t be too hard.”

 

“Three,” Jessica intervened.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Three,” she repeated. “There’ll be three of you carrying her. I’m not going to carry anything or anyone.”

 

It was said in such a definite tone that no one dared protest.

 

Sooyoung cleared . “Right, there’ll be th–”

 

“I’m not carrying her either,” Yoona said.

 

“Oh! And her things need to be carried too, so I guess I should take care of that,” Yuri said right after.

 

“Yah!” Sooyoung stood up. “So I’m the only one carrying her?!”

 

Yoona looked at her. “You can do it, Sooyoung-ah. She’s like... half your size.”

 

“I can’t do it alone!”

 

Jessica shrugged. “Your plan, you do it.”