Chapter 3

Ms. Independent

 

 

It was the next day and Taeyeon woke up extra early to prepare Tiffany’s breakfast and the things she needed for the day. She also made sure that Tiffany’s car was clean.

By the time she finished everything, Tiffany went out of her room and went into the kitchen, hoping to make Taeyeon and herself some breakfast. When she was about to step into the room, her nose picked up the smell of something delicious. She immediately went inside and found Taeyeon pouring orange juice in one of the glasses.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Tiffany said.

The voice startled Taeyeon and almost made her drop the pitcher of orange juice.

“Oh, hi boss. Good morning. I made breakfast.” Taeyeon said while smiling.

Tiffany, on the other hand, was frowning. “Didn’t I tell you that I don’t need anyone doing things for me?”

Taeyeon was shocked, she didn’t know what to say, so she just lowered her head. Disappointed in herself that she seemed to have made her boss upset. 

Tiffany sighed, “Have breakfast. I’m sorry, but I’m not hungry. I’ll be in my room, tell me when you’re finished.”

Taeyeon only nodded although she wasn’t sure if Tiffany saw.

Aish, I only made my boss upset, Taeyeon thought as she stared at the food prepared on the table.

“I guess I can eat all of this,” she said as she started devouring her own cooking. 

After half an hour, Taeyeon has finally finished eating and cleaning the table.

She walked towards Tiffany’s room, and knocked.

“Come in.” 

Taeyeon entered and looked around the room, it was very pink even for a girl like her. 

“Yes, Taeyeon? Are you done?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Why are we back to that again?”

“Huh? Oh, Tiffany. Yes, I’m done.”

“Okay.”

“I’m sorry.”

Tiffany waved her hand telling Taeyeon it was nothing.

“I’m going to change now, Tiffany.”

“Oh, you’re going somewhere?”

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow, “Aren’t you going to work?”

“Oh, I am, but why do you need to change?”

“I can’t go to your office wearing short shorts.”

“Haha! Yeah, that would be funny. Seriously though, you don’t need to come with me. You can stay home and watch TV, or something. Better yet, why don’t you go out with your friends?”

“Huh? No. I have a job.”

“Yes, and that is to obey me. So either you stay here or go out with your friends.”

“I don’t have any friends here in Seoul.” Taeyeon said honestly.

“Hmm, I need to introduce you to my friends then,” Tiffany said thoughtfully.

“Oh, no need, Tiffany.”

“Why not?”

“They’re your friends. I’m in no position to-” her sentence was cut off by Tiffany.

“And you’re my friend, so what’s wrong with that? They won’t bite.”

“I just don’t think I should be friends with my boss’ friends.”

“Stop that. Now get out, I need to change.”

Taeyeon nodded and walked out of Tiffany’s room. She went to the living room and sat on the couch, not touching anything else. It was her boss’ apartment, so she shouldn’t be touching things when unnecessary.

15 minutes have passed when she heard the door to Tiffany’s room open revealing a now ready-to-work Tiffany.

Taeyeon was about to walk towards the side of the living room to get Tiffany’s things, but was stopped by her boss.

“No. Sit. I can get it myself.”

She obeyed Tiffany and sat down again, while watching Tiffany pick up her things with ease.

“I have to go now, Taeyeon. I’ll pick you up for lunch and we’ll meet up with my friends, okay? Oh, and by the way, don’t you dare clean anything other than the things you’ve used okay? Okay, bye!” Tiffany said quickly then rushed out the door.

Taeyeon didn’t have any time to react. She just sat there not knowing what to do. She wasn’t allowed to clean, and she doesn’t want to touch any of Tiffany’s belongings if she’s not going to clean them.

Hours passed but Taeyeon hasn’t moved from her position. She wasn’t sure what the time was, but figured it must be close to lunch time when she saw Tiffany coming in the apartment. 

“Hey, Taeyeon.”

“Hi.”

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon and noticed that the girl was in the same position she was in before she left for work a few hours ago.

“Did you even move from the couch, Taeyeon?”

She shook her head, “No.”

“Well, why not? I only told you not to clean anything, not become a statue.”

“I didn’t know what to do.”

“You could’ve watched TV or something.”

“But I didn’t want to touch your things.” Taeyeon reasoned out.

“Oh? Why? Are they gonna bite?”

“Oh, no,” Taeyeon chuckled, “I just didn’t want to touch them, that’s all. It’s not my house, so yeah.”

Tiffany frowned, “This is your house for the mean time, Taeyeon. So everything here, except the things in my bedroom, are yours, too.”

“Well, I’m still not comfortable doing that, so I won’t.” 

Tiffany decided to just let it go, “Fine. Come on, let’s go. My friends are waiting for us.”

“Oh, no need, Tiffany, I can have lunch here instead-”

“No time for arguments, I don’t like to keep my friends waiting,” Tiffany said as she pulled Taeyeon out the doorway.

***

After dragging Taeyeon into the car, Tiffany managed to drive off the parking lot before other girl can make a run for it. 

Now, they were on their way to one of the restaurants a few minutes away to meet Tiffany’s friends. Taeyeon was still convincing Tiffany that there was no need to introduce her to her friends.

“I told you, it’s alright. They’re very nice people. I don’t know why you’re so worked up about this.”

“It’s because there’s no need to, Tiffany. I work for you so I don’t need to befriend your friends.”

“You work for me, and I consider you my friend. I’m going to tell you to come with me to this lunch and introduce you to my other friends.”

“I don’t see why you should introduce me to them,” Taeyeon said rather stubbornly.

“You don’t have friends here. Well, except me. What if I’m not with you though? You’ll remain sitting on the couch ‘til you die?”

Taeyeon chuckled, “No, of course not. Only until you arrive.” She grinned.

Tiffany rolled her eyes, “I’m not even going to challenge you because I know you’ll do it.” She stopped the car then faced Taeyeon, “Okay, we’re here!”

Taeyeon looked outside the window, “What?? That fast?? I didn’t even have the time to convince you to just drop me off by some other coffee shop.” She sighed dramatically.

Tiffany laughed, “Yeah, right. As if you could convince me. Come on, let’s go. I see them inside already.” She got out of the car and waited for Taeyeon to do the same so she could lock the doors. “Come on, Taeyeon! My friends haven’t got all day!” she shouted from outside when she saw that Taeyeon wasn’t moving.

Taeyeon didn’t even budge.

“Taeyeon! If you’re not out of the car in 3 seconds, I am going to tell my uncle that you’re not doing your job!” Tiffany threatened.

“Oh, sh--!” Taeyeon quickly undid her seatbelt and got out of the car, almost tripping herself in the process.

Tiffany smirked as she witnessed everything. Taeyeon then made her way to Tiffany’s side. “You’re mean.”

“I’m not. You’re just disobedient. Now come! I’m excited to see my friends.”

They walked side by side and entered the cafe where they heard a booming voice, “TIFFANY!!!”

Taeyeon winced at the loud voice and quickly looked at the source. 

“YURI-AHHH!!!” Tiffany shouted, making Taeyeon cover her ears. 

When Taeyeon removed her hands from her ears, she heard Tiffany say, “Come on, Taeyeon. The table’s here.”

Taeyeon followed and saw that the table had 4 people surrounding it, including the girl her boss called Yuri.

“Tiffany, I’ll order us food. What would you like?”

Everyone around the table looked at Taeyeon weirdly, making Taeyeon a little scared. 

“Oh, no, you sit here.” Tiffany pointed to the seat beside her, “I’ll go get the food. Get to know my friends.” She smiled before heading to the counter.

Taeyeon was left standing by the table feeling awkward. She didn’t know what to do. She never had great social skills so she didn’t know if she should sit down like Tiffany said or wait for her boss to come back.

“Aren’t you going to sit?” A voice broke her thoughts. 

She looked at the table and saw Yuri looking at her. “Er...”

A chuckle, “You know, we won’t bite.”

“Ah, haha. Yeah, Tiffany told me that,” she said as she awkwardly scratched the back of her head.

“She did, huh? No surprise. Anyway, I’m Yuri. And this is Yoona,” she said as she pointed to the girl next to her

“Hello,” Yoona said and gave Taeyeon a small wave and smile.

“H-hi.” Taeyeon tried her very best to stay calm. 

“Hello, I’m Sooyoung and the one sleeping is Jessica,” said a girl stood up and held out her hand. Taeyeon was amazed at how tall the girl was. She was in awe as she never saw any other girl that tall. 

“Excuse me? Are you okay?” Sooyoung waved her hand in front of the dazed short girl. She chuckled then said, “I know I’m hot but please don’t stare at me like that. This girl might punch the living day lights out of you.” She again pointed to the sleeping Jessica. 

“O-oh, no, I- I w-w-wasn’t.” She was getting more and more uncomfortable despite the friendly nature of the four, well, three - because the other one was sleeping.

The three laughed a bit, “We know. I’m just kidding. Why don’t you sit down? Tiffany might take a while so waiting for her would be a bad idea.”

“Oh, thanks, but I could probably wait for her.”

“Why do you need her to be here for you to sit? Do yo need her to pull out your chair?” The other girls laughed again, “Is she your personal assistant or something?”

Taeyeon frantically waved her hands in front of her, “No no no, it’s actually the other way around.”

When she finished her sentence, everyone, including the now awake Jessica, stared at her with the mouths slightly open.

“What did you just say?” Jessica asked.

“Uhh, I’m Tiffany’s personal assistant?” She didn’t know what she said wrong for the four to stare at her.

The four looked at one another before staring back at Taeyeon.

“Um, I’m sorry, but why are you staring at me like that?”

“Yeah, guys, why are you staring at her like that?” Taeyeon turned around and saw Tiffany making her way to them with a tray of food and drinks. “Oh, and Taeyeon, didn’t I tell you to sit down?”

Taeyeon ignored the question and made her way to Tiffany’s chair to pull it out for her.

Tiffany stared at Taeyeon then made her way to Taeyeon’s chair to sit there instead. “Sit down now.”

Taeyeon looked at her weirdly before complying.

While all of that was happening, Tiffany’s friends were quietly observing the two. There were all thinking the same thing: How can Tiffany, the so-called Ms. Independent, suddenly end up having a personal assistant?

They were all brought back to reality by Tiffany’s voice, “So guys, what’s up? Why were you staring at Taeyeon just now?” She said while taking a bite from her food.

“See, Tiffany, your friend here,” Jessica said while pointing at Taeyeon, “said something quite interesting.”

“Oh?” She glanced at Taeyeon before facing Jessica again, “What did she say?”

“She said that she’s your assistant. Now, we all know that can’t be true because you have never accepted anyone’s help, not even from us, if it will benefit you, but here she is, claiming that you hired her as a personal assistant,” Sooyoung explained.

“Um. excuse me,” Taeyeon squeaked from her chair, causing everyone to look at her, “I never said she hired me.”

“Doesn’t change the fact that you’re claiming to be her assistant.”

“Guys, stop that,” Tiffany said. She did not like the way her friends were accusing Taeyeon of making up stories so she decided to in, “What she’s saying is true. She is my personal assistant, but like she said, I didn’t hire her. Uncle did.”

“Ahh... Sorry, Taeyeon,” the four all said together.

Taeyeon only smiled at them.

“But why, Fany? Didn’t you tell him that you’re fine on your own? I mean, I don’t agree with that statement in any way, but why?” Yoona said.

Tiffany sighed, “He said he’s worried for me and that I needed to be taken cared of because that was what my parents told him to do before they passed away.”

“So you agreed right away?”

“No, of course not, but he told me to give it a month. If by the end of it, I still don’t need Taeyeon’s assistance, then he’ll dismiss her personally.” She took a sip from her drink before continuing, “Besides, I don’t treat her as my assistant anyway. I treat her as a friend, which is why I brought her here to meet you guys.”

“Oh goodie! Now you won’t feel left out anymore! There are 6 of us!” Sooyoung said.

 


 

Chapter 3! :) You guys might wait a bit longer for Chapter 4 because I'll be working all day tomorrow. But anyway... comment! :)