Chapter 26

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: I’m sorry if the last update was short. I have a good reason though. I tend to cringe a lot when writing fluff/romance/sweetness. I don’t know why, I just do. So I stopped typing as soon as I felt I was about to puke rainbows. Haha. I only read chapter 25 twice! Haha. Anyway, this chapter’s quite short as well but it has bits and pieces of Tiffany’s past and the confession you’ve all been waiting for. 


 

 

“What is that kid doing here?”

 

“She’s staying here with us, darling. Remember, my brother and his wife passed?”

 

“Should I care? She’s not going to stay here.”

 

“But she doesn’t have any other place to stay in. I’m the only relative she has left.”

 

“That her problem, not ours. She’s not staying here and that’s final!”

 

She saw her aunt walk away. She then heard her uncle sigh. she looked up and saw him looking down at her with a sad smile. “Don’t worry about her, Miyoung-ah. I’ll talk to her and she’ll come around.” He patted her head and said, “Come, I’ll show you your room. You’re gonna love it!” He said it with forced enthusiasm although she can still sense the sadness in him.

 

---

 

She woke up in the middle of the night due to the sound of glass breaking and pans hitting the floor. She heard shouting from outside and easily recognized her uncle and aunt’s voices.

 

They were obviously arguing. Again. She knows it’s about her and her stay in their house. It was always the reason. 

 

As much as she wanted to go out of the room and try to stop the fight, she was scared of her aunt. Her aunt who never even looked twice at her. Her aunt who never bothered caring for her. It has been weeks since she first stayed in the house and her aunt has never made her feel welcomed.

 

She clutched tightly on her blanket, tears sliding down her cheeks as she closes her eyes, trying to block out the noise from outside.

 

---

 

She silently cried at her aunt’s funeral. Everything happened so quickly that not even her or her uncle can do anything about it. 

 

Her young mind wasn’t able to process what happened.

 

All she remembered was blood. A lot of it.

 

She cried until she felt a shove from the side causing her to fall down on the wet ground. She looked up and saw some of her aunt’s relatives crying while glaring at her. They kept blaming her for what happened. And although she did nothing, she felt guilty.

 

They kept shouting at her until she felt strong arms engulf her in a hug. It was her uncle. She heard him defend her against them. 

 

He tried helping her stand up, only to be pushed aside by the same people who were shouting at him.

 

She looked at him and saw sadness and pain in his eyes.

 

And it was all because of her.

 

---

 

She gasped and sat up as she panted heavily. She was trying to keep her tears at bay, but failed when it fell down drop by drop.

 

She felt a shift from the other side of the bed but ignored it. She gulped. Her dreams, or nightmares, worsened when she stepped in her old house; her old room. Guilt pierced her heart as everything replayed inside her mind. She wanted to do something, but what?

 

Soon, she saw Taeyeon sit up beside her, rubbing her eyes like a kid. It would’ve melted her, if it wasn’t for her dream still haunting her. 

 

“What happened?” Taeyeon’s voice was filled with worry.

 

She shook her head as an answer, not trusting her voice. She then felt Taeyeon shift again, and soon enough, she was engulfed in a comforting hug.

 

She cried on Taeyeon’s shoulder while the older girl rubbed her back and continuously uttered comforting words.

 

When her crying subsided, she pulled away from Taeyeon’s embrace and wiped her eyes. She sniffed and grabbed a tissue from her bed side table.

 

When she looked back at Taeyeon, the girl was looking at her concernedly. She tried to smile but found the she couldn’t.

 

“I’m fine now, thank you. You should go back to sleep.”

 

When the older girl didn’t move, Tiffany sighed and pushed the older girl to lie on the bed.

 

She plopped herself down next to Taeyeon, facing the ceiling. She felt Taeyeon’s eyes on her but she didn’t do anything. She didn’t want to explain now. Explaining would mean remembering what happened, and she didn’t want that. At least not now.

 

She froze when she felt Taeyeon’s arm wrap around her waist. She turned her head to see Taeyeon looking at her face, eyebrows furrowed.

 

What’s happening?

 

She immediately forgot her traumatizing nightmare and observed the girl’s face. She couldn’t get enough of it. It would be nice if she could see it every time she wakes up.

 

Taeyeon moved closer, tightening the hold she has on the girl.

 

Tiffany waited.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me now, but just know that I’ll be here to listen when you’re ready.”

 

A lone tear escaped Tiffany’s eyes at the sincerity in Taeyeon’s voice. The older girl was quick enough to wipe it off.

 

Tiffany moved to face Taeyeon, the latter’s arm still around her waist. She looked at the girl’s eyes, not even minding if she drowned in them. “Taeyeon...”

 

The older girl blinked in response.

 

“I like you too.”

 

She watched as Taeyeon’s eyes slowly widened, shock very evident.

 

“Y-you h-heard?” Her voice was trembling, which greatly amused Tiffany. She finally smiled, completely forgetting the dream she had just minutes ago.

 

She nodded.

 

“Y-yah! Were you even sleeping for real?”

 

She laughed. “Yes, of course, but then you decided to push me away, so I woke up.” She then moved closer and put her arm around Taeyeon as well.

 

“You were hogging the bed!”

 

“I know, I know. I’m sorry.”

 

Taeyeon calmed down and smiled but became nervous again. “Uh... I... uh...”

 

Tiffany frowned. “What, are you going to take it back now?” She pretended to be upset just to see how the older girl would react.

 

“NO!” Taeyeon shouted, surprising Tiffany. “No. I uh... I like you.”

 

It was dark but Tiffany can still see how Taeyeon’s cheeks turned pink. She knows hers were probably the same color, but she couldn’t care less. She grinned. “I like you too.”

 

Taeyeon smiled. “I know.”

 

“I know you know. I just told you,” Tiffany said, pinching Taeyeon’s cheek.

 

“I knew even before you told me.” She was still smiling.

 

“How?”

 

“You kissed me here,” she pointed to her cheek and saw Tiffany’s face get redder by the second, “twice.” She grinned when Tiffany let go of her to cover her face with her palms. She turned away and Taeyeon laughed, finding the scene very cute.

 

“You were awake?!” Tiffany’s voice was muffled by her hands.

 

“Well, I was only half awake when you kissed me in the living room, so I wasn’t entirely sure if that was you. But then again, who else could it be? It can’t be Mr. Hwang right?” she laughed, then continued, “but your wet hair woke me up when you kissed me here.”

 

“Oh my God,” was all Tiffany can say.

 

“It’s alright. I find it very cute actually. Very sneaky, Hwang Miyoung,” Taeyeon teased as she s her arm around Tiffany’s waist, engulfing her in a back hug. She was enjoying the feeling of Tiffany being in her arms.

 

Tiffany knew the older girl was teasing so she decided to fight back. She removed Taeyeon’s arm from her waist and turned to face the smiling fool she liked so much. “Oh, so is that why you kissed me too? ‘cause you found me cute?”

 

Her plan backfired when the older girl smiled wider. “That, and because I like you.”

 

Tiffany suppressed a smile and pushed the now laughing girl aside. “Yah! Go back to sleep! We need to wake up early for work!” She turned her back on Taeyeon and closed her eyes.

 

Taeyeon’s laughter died down and she moved closer again to hug the girl from the back. “Okay, okay. Goodnight, boss.” She squeezed Tiffany a bit and closed her eyes.

 

She smiled when she felt Tiffany’s hands on top of hers before letting sleep consume her.