Chapter 23

Ms. Independent

A/N: At least I didn't make you wait for another 3 weeks right? :)


 

 

Taeyeon quickly shuffled to her feet and dusted her clothes before helping Sunny up. She then turned to the two people still standing by the door. She cleared . “Uh... juice?” She didn’t wait for an answer as she hurriedly went to the kitchen.

 

Tiffany blinked several times before saying, “Uh... Sunny... can I... uh... bathroom?”

 

Sunny raised an eyebrow before pointing to one of the doors. 

 

Tiffany muttered a ‘thank you’ then quickly made her way to the bathroom.

 

---

 

Tiffany leaned on the bathroom sink after washing her face. She breathed in and out, trying to calm her heart. 

 

What she saw out there made her think twice about confessing. It pained her to see Taeyeon being playful and all smiles with Sunny, while last night, the older girl didn’t even want to start a conversation with her. 

 

Maybe listening to Jessica and Yoona isn’t a good thing.

 

She started to regret coming here. 

 

It was bad enough for Taeyeon not to like her back, but to see her this happy with someone else?

 

It hurts. A lot.

 

---

 

Once the two were out of sight, Jessica closed the door and walked closely to Sunny, who was standing by the couch. “So?”

 

Sunny grinned and gave her two thumbs up. 

 

Both Yoona and Jessica sighed in relief. “Wooh, good, because if not, all our efforts will be put to nothing. So when is your girlfriend coming?” Jessica said in a low voice, not wanting Taeyeon or Tiffany to hear any part of their conversation. 

 

“Next week, I believe. She has yet to tell me the exact date but I’m sure it’s soon. That girl is too excited to see Taeyeon again.”

 

“And Uncle Hwang’s plan?”

 

“Running as smooth as ever,” she grinned widely before quickly wiping it off her face as she heard faint footsteps coming nearer. She looked back and saw Taeyeon holding a tray containing glasses of water. “Where’s the juice?”

 

“You don’t have any. Water’s the next best thing I could find in that jungle you call a kitchen.”

 

“Yah! I haven’t even fixed everything yet, you ahjumma!”

 

“Oh, whatever, you midget.”

 

Yoona snickered but stopped when Sunny glared at her.

 

They continued their bickering until someone cleared . They all looked at the source and found Tiffany standing there. “Um... I think I need to go.”

 

Yoona and Sunny glanced at Jessica who only stood up and grabbed Tiffany’s arm. “Oh no, you don’t. We have something to discuss remember?” she intensely stared at Tiffany who would cower if she wasn’t used to it. 

 

“I don’t think so,” she feigned innocence.

 

Taeyeon only looked on with a straight face, not sure what she should feel right now. What should she feel? She hasn’t had time to thoroughly process her conversation with Sunny earlier because of their playful banter and the sudden appearance of Tiffany and her friends. Sure she told Sunny that she might like Tiffany, but up until now, she hasn’t really thought of the possibility.

 

“Taeyeon,” she blinked in surprise upon hearing her name, “Tiffany has something to tell you.”

 

She saw Jessica push Tiffany forward. She waited.

 

Jessica waited.

 

Sunny waited.

 

Yoona waited.

 

“Uh...” Tiffany was cut off by the sudden ringing of her phone. Sighing in relief, she grinned at the frowning Jessica before excusing herself to one of the empty rooms and answering the call.

 

Jessica, Sunny and Yoona all sighed while Taeyeon only looked at them weirdly. “What’s with the sigh?”

 

Sunny looked at her and said, “Tae, please get us some more water.”

 

Taeyeon looked at the table and saw that except hers, all glasses were still full. “But you haven’t even touched your glasses.”

 

Yoona and Jessica both grabbed two glasses each and threw the contents on a nearby plant. “Oops, well, would you look at that. No more water,” Jessica said and batted her eyelashes cutely at Taeyeon, who found it rather horrifying. 

 

She stood up and took the tray before scurrying to the kitchen while mumbling, “This isn’t even my house. Why am I serving the guests?”

 

After making sure that Taeyeon was out of hearing distance, Jessica eyed Sunny. “I don’t think it’s going to work with Tiffany. She’s too scared especially after what she saw earlier.” 

 

“Yah! That Taeyeon’s being too violent with me so I had to do something! Anyway, I don’t think it will work with Taeyeon either. She just realized that she might have the same feelings not even an hour ago. We need to plan this further.”

 

“But there’s not much time!” Yoona exclaimed but clamped a hand over quickly and muttering a ‘sorry’ to the two girls in front of her. 

 

Sunny shook her head. “Well, we don’t have much choice. We’re already interfering too much as it is. As much as I want them to be together soon, I also want them to realize how true their feelings are by themselves.”

 

Yoona and Jessica nodded.

 

Before the two can say anything, Tiffany went out of a room and sat down beside Yoona. “It was Uncle. He needs to see us before the week ends and since I’m not doing anything right now, and Taeyeon seems to be finished here, I told him I’d go there now.”

 

Jessica wanted to protest. “But-”

 

“Okay.” Sunny answer calmly. “You can go. Taeyeon’s done here anyway. Taengoo-ah!” She shouted.

 

“What?!” Taeyeon shouted and came out of the kitchen with glasses full of water. “I hope you don’t waste it like the last time because water in Sunny’s jungle is limited,” she said as she set down the tray on the coffee table.

 

Sunny glared at her. “Tiffany’s uncle wants to see you both. Go now before I feed you to my snakes and lions.”

 

“Really?!” Her eyes glimmered of happiness. “Omo! Thank you! You don’t know how boring you are to be with!” She laughed as she dodged Sunny’s punch and grabbed Tiffany’s hand before pulling her up and heading towards the door. She waved quickly and went out.

 

Sunny shook her head and laughed as she sat down beside Yoona on the couch, Jessica joining them as well. 

 

“Why did you let them go?” Jessica asked.

 

“Uncle Hwang will take care of it,” she smiled and grabbed a glass of water to drink it.

 

---

 

Taeyeon insisted on driving to Mr. Hwang’s house. As much as Tiffany wanted to protest, she didn’t want to argue with the girl in fear of not being able to talk to her again. 

 

They stepped out of the car and walked towards the door. Tiffany pressed the doorbell and waited for a few seconds before Mr. Hwang greeted them with a warm smile. “Hi, kids. Come in.”

 

“Hello, Uncle.” “Hi, Mr. Hwang.” 

 

They went inside the living room where both girl sat on the couch. 

 

Mr. Hwang followed by sitting on the arm chair adjacent the couch. She looked at them with a smile and said, “So... before business, how are the two of you?”

 

“Good, Uncle.”

 

He raised an eyebrow. “Just good?” He eyed the two of them. Not noticing any difference between their interaction from the last time he saw them, he figured nothing happened yet.

 

Tiffany nodded slowly, not sure where her uncle is going with this.

 

“Well, that’s good then.”

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

“So business?”

 

Taeyeon nodded again, suddenly feeling sad. 

 

Mr. Hwang handed her an envelope which contained a bunch of papers. “Read through it. Thoroughly, Taeyeon. It’s your contract. Tell me if you have questions. Miyoung and I will be at my library. Come, Miyoung.” He stood up and walked towards the far end of the house. 

 

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon, who gave her a small smile, before standing up and following her uncle.

 

---

 

“Is something wrong, Uncle?”

 

“I don’t know. You tell me.”

 

“Huh? I’m not sure I follow.”

 

“Are you okay, Miyoung-ah?”

 

She tilted her head. “Yes?”

 

“Really?”

 

She nodded slowly. “Where are you going with this, Uncle?”

 

He shook his head before opening a drawer and pulling out a folder. “Here’s a copy of Taeyeon’s contract. Read it.”

 

She got the folder and opened it, staring at it’s contents. “But why did we have to do this here? Can’t I read it with Taeyeon outside?”

 

“You might have concerns of your own, and being the employers, we have the right to discuss them privately. Go on, read it.”

 

Truthfully, Tiffany just wanted to burn the whole thing right then and there. She didn’t want to read it. She didn’t want to be reminded of how few her days with Taeyeon are. She only pretended to read it. She skimmed through it and pretended to flip the pages.

 

After a few minutes, she closed the folder and placed it on top of her uncle’s desk.

 

“Have you read it?”

 

She nodded without saying anything.

 

“Really?”

 

She nodded again.

 

“Every bit?”

 

Another nod.

 

Her uncle looked at her suspiciously. “And you don’t have any concerns? Objections? Additions?”

 

“No, Uncle,” she answered. She wanted to end this conversation and just go back to where Taeyeon was. 

 

“You’ve read every single word, Miyoung?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Mr. Hwang didn’t believe her one bit and sighed quietly. “Very well,” he took the folder and put it back inside the drawer, “the contract’s final then,” he stood up and made her way to the door. “Taeyeon’s leaving on August 1st.” He then stepped out of his library and made his way to Taeyeon without looking back.

 

Tiffany sat there, frozen. August 1st? But that’s...

 

“...my birthday.”

 


 

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN....