Chapter 17

Ms. Independent

 

A/N: Short update, but the next one's going to be very long so... yeah. :)


 

 

 

“Mr. Hwang.”

 

“How’s everything going so far?”

 

“Fine, Mr. Hwang. Everything’s going according to plan. This is easier than we anticipated.”

 

“Good. After everything’s done, you can go back home.”

 

“Thank you, sir.”

 

---

 

Tiffany heard a soft knock on the door and in came Taeyeon with their lunch. “Hey, you’re obviously busy so I took the liberty of buying us lunch. I also hope you don’t mind if I eat lunch here too. I just thought that maybe you don’t want to eat alone.”

 

Why would I mind?

 

She smiled and was about to thank the other girl when Taeyeon continued.

 

“And besides, I know how much you missed me these past two days, so I guess why not, right?” she teasingly said as she began to bring the food out of the paper bags.

 

Tiffany’s face instantly reddened. She couldn’t deny the truth in Taeyeon’s statement, but seeing that the older girl was only teasing her, Tiffany managed to roll her eyes and glare at the girl busy with the food.

 

Taeyeon has been teasing her since this morning. She isn’t usually the type who gets bothered by it easily, but Taeyeon’s teasing was different. It wasn’t so much because of the teasing really, but because it was Taeyeon.

 

She would want nothing else but for those teases to be true. 

 

“Snap out of it, boss. Let’s eat now. And as much as I want to get up and feed you there, your poor assistant is hungry too, so she wants nothing else but to eat together with her lovable boss here on the couch,” she batted her eyelashes, feigning innocence although she was obviously teasing again.

 

In return, Tiffany feigned annoyance and rolled her eyes. “What am I going to do with you?” she said before getting up from her chair and heading towards the office couch.

 

“Eat with me,” Taeyeon said with a dorky smile and gave Tiffany a pair of chopsticks, “here.”

 

---

 

They heard a knock on the door and Tiffany silently hoped that it wasn’t one of her best friends who she was so sure would make her life a living hell like they usually do.

 

Luck wasn’t on her side.

 

Jessica came barging in without waiting to be let in.

 

“Hello, my eye-smiling best friend.”

 

Tiffany sighed. “Hello.”

 

To make things worse, three more figures went in the office, greeting their frowning friend with wide smiles on their faces.

 

Tiffany mentally face-palmed herself. Oh God.

 

“What are you guys doing here?” she asked in a not-so-happy tone, “I’m very busy.”

 

Yuri grinned at the tone. “Oooh, time of the month?” Yoona, Jessica and Sooyoung snickered.

 

“No, annoying friends,” she said and threw a bunch of pens at her friends.

 

They laughed as the four of them tried to dodge the incoming pens. Taeyeon laughed loudly at the scene in front of her which caused the newcomers to finally notice her presence.

 

“Well, who do we have here?” Sooyoung said and made her way to Taeyeon. “No date with Sunny today?” she teased and put an arm around the shorter girl’s shoulders.

 

Taeyeon went along with the joke. “Nah, gotta make a living before I can take her out on another one,” then laughed.

 

Tiffany, who knew it was a joke, still didn’t like it. She only went back to work.

 

Jessica and Yoona grinned at Tiffany’s reaction --- or the lack of it.

 

“Let’s go out!” Yuri clapped her hands and pulled Taeyeon away from Sooyoung.

 

Tiffany looked up. “Uh... I’m busy. I told you that, right?”

 

“Then do you mind if we take Taeyeon along with us, then?” Yoona shoved Yuri aside and latched onto Taeyeon’s arm.

 

Tiffany watched as Taeyeon was passed on from on of her friends to the other. Somehow, she didn’t like it.

 

“Yeah, since you’re busy and all,” Jessica said and clung onto Taeyeon’s other arm.

 

No! Tiffany didn’t want to spend her day at the office without Taeyeon, but she didn’t really have any excuse for keeping the older girl there except the fact that she wants to be with her the whole day.

 

And she can’t tell them that.

 

“If she wants to,” she said feigning indifference.

 

The four looked at Taeyeon, “Do you want to?”

 

Taeyeon looked at the four, then at Tiffany, “You’re not coming?”

 

“I’m busy,” Tiffany answered simply.

 

“Oh... but... won’t I be like a 5th wheel here?” she pointed to the two couples in the room.

 

Tiffany smiled as she thought that Taeyeon might not want to go with them without her too.

 

“Ah, right,” Yuri nodded.

 

Jessica then snapped her fingers, “Sunny!”

 

Tiffany’s smile turned into a frown. Sunny?

 

“Huh?” Taeyeon didn’t understand.

 

“We can ask Sunny to come with us so Taeyeon won’t feel alone!” Jessica beamed at her very bright idea.

 

Taeyeon clapped happily, “Ah, that’s right!”

 

Tiffany scowled at Taeyeon’s happy face. So she really just doesn’t want to be alone. Heck. But I can’t let her be with Sunny again.

 

“Call her now! I wanna go!” Yoona whined and tugged on Taeyeon’s arm. 

 

Taeyeon pulled out her phone, slightly struggling because of the two girls tightly holding onto her arms, and was about to dial Sunny’s number when she heard someone say, “Fine, I’ll come.”

 

Everyone looked towards Tiffany who was starting to fix the papers on her desk. 

 

“I thought you were busy?” Sooyoung asked.

 

“I was, but you guys forced me.”

 

“We never forced you,” Yuri said.

 

“Yeah,” Jessica said with a smirk, obviously knowing what’s going on with Tiffany.

 

“I’m just going okay!” Tiffany raised her voice a bit, which shocked Taeyeon.

 

“Alright,” Yoona said and headed for the door with the others.

 

“Wait, what about Sunny?” Taeyeon asked, still holding her phone.

 

Tiffany raised an eyebrow, while Jessica nudged Yoona to do something.

 

“Well, Taeyeon, since Tiffany’s coming now, you don’t really have to call Sunny,” Yoona said.

 

Taeyeon nodded and walked with them out of Tiffany’s office.

 

---

 

“Where are we going anyway?” Tiffany asked as they walked out of the office building.

 

“Um...” Yoona pretended to think. Tiffany rolled her eyes, knowing where this was going. “Amusement park?” Yoona’s eyes glimmered when she said that.

 

Tiffany looked at her friends, as if trying to ask for help, but Sooyoung and Jessica only shrugged, while Yuri was busy staring at Yoona.  She sighed. “We’ve been there hundreds of times. Aren’t you getting tired of the amusement park?”

 

“You’re just scared,” Yoona stuck her tongue out at Tiffany and looked at Taeyeon, “besides, Taeyeon hasn’t been there, right Tae?”

 

They all looked at Taeyeon who only shook her head.

 

“See? Let’s go!” she hooked her left arm with Taeyeon’s and held Yur’s hand with her right, then dragged both girls to the car with Tiffany, Jessica and Sooyoung trailing behind.