010

Dance With Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

 The party has been going on extremely well, except for the fact that everyone kept on ‘taste-testing’ the food. Although it’s late evening, the sunset’s glow is really bright, still emitting hot air and a few breezes here and there. The boys have already sent up a tent for shade and the girls have almost completely set up the table for dinner. Finally, after Yuri and Hyoyeon bring out two small grills and place them one on each side of the long table, they run back into the house, passing by Yoona who brings in the meat for samgyeopsal.

“Wah, samgyeopsal?!” Taemin exclaims in excitement as he stands from his seat near Onew, who is still in a wheelchair. He is only eyeing just the meat. “Today’s the happiest day of the year!”

Yoona places it near Taemin and jokingly says, “You better thank Yuri and Hyoyeon for buying all of this.”

Just then, Yuri and Jessica enter outside with plates in their hands.

“Yuri ah, thank you!” Taemin sweetly exclaims, batting his eyes.

Yuri smiles bashfully as she sets the plates on the opposite side of the table, near where Minho and Jonghyun are at. “No problem.” She does an okay sign.

“We’re done,” Hyoyeon says, exiting out of the house to coming outside, informing the girls that there’s nothing left to set.

Behind her are Taecyeon and Key.

“Okay, we can all gather around and let’s get it started!”

As everyone gathers around and sits down in their seats, Yuri glances and hesitates. “Sica unni, is it okay if we eat without SNSD?”

“With their schedule, even if they told us they’re going to come late, it’s most likely that they won’t make it and will inform us when this ends,” Jessica answers.

Yuri becomes worried. “What about you?”

Jessica gently smiles. “It’s only one member who is missing, so our manager oppa can make his way about it to the programs.”

“Sorry.” Yuri didn’t want it to happen this way.

Jessica doesn’t want Yuri to feel bad, so she says, “It’s no one’s fault. So, don’t blame yourself.”

The girls smile at one another in acceptance.

“So, SNSD might not show up, right?” Key asks for a confirmation.

Jessica nods.

“How long are we able to stay here again?”

Yuri covers as she answers Key’s question. “As long as we want, though, I’m sure no one wants to spend a night here again, especially when there’s not enough room.”

So, they did spend the night here. Did anything happen? Key grabs for his drink and takes a long sip. “Yuri ah.”

Yuri looks at him, wiping with a napkin.

“I thought of a game already.”

*

Everyone’s crowding around the living room, waiting for Taecyeon and Minho to finish washing the dishes and Taemin and Eunhyuk cleaning the table outside as the girls, Key and Onew rest inside. The first of the boys who are cleaning to enter the living room are Taemin and Eunhyuk. They exhale in exhaustion as they sit down on the floor.

“Now…I know…how hard it is for girls to clean after a good meal,” Eunhyuk says, looking at the girls one by one. He applauses them. “I give you all props.”

Hyoyeon laughs. “How is cleaning hard?”

“Oh, it’s hard!” Eunhyuk and Taemin emphasize in sync.

Eunhyuk continues. “Especially when you have to bend over and move places to places…and…” His face scrunches in response.

Taemin takes over the explanation. “You have to touch the gooey spilled food…”

“Ya, but they’re food, not something disgusting.” Hyoyeon comments. She can’t believe the boys’ disgust is for something that isn’t even disgusting.

Yuri shakes her head in disbelief. “Oppa, then why were you two laughing uncontrollably outside?”

The two boys look at one another and laugh again at their own inside ‘joke’.

“Oppa, tell us!” Because she couldn’t get answers from Eunhyuk, she asks Taemin, hoping he would. “Taemin?”

Taemin has to control himself for a while, so Yuri waits. “We weren’t laughing, we were talking.”

“That loud?” Hyoyeon asks.

Taemin and Eunhyuk nod.

“Yeah, when I found out that he dances, too, I thought I’d teach him a few steps I am practicing as of now.” Taemin points to Eunhyuk. “He’s a fast learner just like you.”

Eunhyuk sits up straight. “Actually, Yuri’s a faster learner; in fact, out of all of us, I say Yuri is the best dancer here. She showed us the dance she improvised on the spot when you guys first met, and wah—” Eunhyuk’s mouth opens in amazement. “It was fantastic!” He points to Yuri. “Can you still do the moves?”

“What? It was improvised?” Taemin asks Yuri, not believing that the fantastic, on-the-spot moves that day Yuri showed were improvised. “In that quick moment, you thought of all that just to greet us?”

Yuri shies away from looking at Taemin. “I had to improvise because I didn’t think I’d had to do something, but—” she looks at the kitchen for Minho. Unbeknown to her, she doesn’t know that Minho can hear her even though he’s washing the dishes with Taecyeon.

The two boys are definitely listening to the conversation.

“…I just had to show someone I have potential too, for my age and for my gender.”

“That’s right!” Eunhyuk pulls Taemin back to him. “What did you think of it when you saw it?” If he’s Yuri’s new boyfriend, we’ll be fantastic friends! “Did you know that Yuri was so worried that you might think weird of her?”

“Eh, why?” Taemin looks back and forth between Yuri and Eunhyuk.

Yuri tries to cover Eunhyuk’s mouth, but is too late.

“She likes you, you know,” says Eunhyuk, grinning.

She immediately hides her face behind Hyoyeon’s back. “Oppa!!! Why are you telling him that?” She squeals, embarrassed at this confession. “Eonni, stop oppa.” She begs.

“Ya!” Hyoyeon scares her boyfriend and unintentionally scares Taemin too. She sends a big smile at Taemin. “Taemin, don’t worry about it. It’s just…a small…crush?”

Yuri pops her head out of hiding. “Eonni! You’re supposed to help me!”

Hyoyeon gently turns around and whispers. “You know I’m not good at helping like this when it’s true.”

Yuri pouts in fear.

Everyone laughs away at the scene.

Yuri looks down and slowly looks at the kitchen to Taecyeon and finally, to Minho.

Their locked eyes and for the first time, neither tries to pull away.

Did he hear? Wait, he can’t right? I mean, he should be able to hear only the water running, right? Why am I worried if he knows or hears about it? Yuri gulps. I…do I still like Taemin?

“Minho ah.” Taecyeon breaks Minho’s stare at Yuri when he asks if he can use the water to rinse the oil off the plates.

Minho’s focus comes back into washing as he looks away from Yuri. Why do I feel bad? Tch, that’s nothing that concerns me. He places a wet glass cup he has just washed away along with the other dishes and grabs another dish to wash.

It is the last one.

A huge bowl, which Taecyeon offers to help him wash as he is done with his side.

As soon as the two idols are done washing the dishes, they immediately come over to join the rest of the group in the living room, waiting to hear Key’s explanation ever since he’s promised to explain after the meal about an hour and a half ago.

“Okay, I guess I can start now.” Key smiles, very satisfied with the next thing that is going to happen very soon. He picks up Taemin’s bag from below him and reaches for something inside.

Of course, everyone curiously waits for him and his ‘game’.

“Do you see these?” He flashes out a deck of used cards.

Everyone nods, letting him continue.

“There’s no title to this game, but the rules and the gameplay are quite simple. Actually, I take that back. I guess we can call it, ‘Couple Running Man’?”

“‘Couple Running Man’?” Everyone asks in unison.

Key nods. “We all have seen Running Man, right? In a game where they usually play and go against each other. Instead of having our own names getting ripped off because it’s easily found, we’ll use cards to identify ourselves.”

“But how will we know who owns which card?” Jessica asks, already intrigued like the rest of them.

“There are pairs in the cards, so you’ll be working in pairs,” Key answers.

Taemin looks around and does a quick headcount. “But, there are only eleven of us. It’s not an equal number.”

Key playfully points at Taemin. “Yah, who says we’ll be playing. Only the ‘couples’ will.”

“Well, then you don’t have to play! I can be coupled with…” Taemin is about to say Onew’s name, but he sees the handicapped man who just smiled pitifully. “Then what kind of game is this if I can’t play?”

Onew agrees with Taemin.

Key cheers Taemin up. “Don’t worry. You’ll have fun. We’ll have fun.” He returns his focus to the rest of the players. “So, this is how the game plays. You’ll each stay and wait in separate rooms in the house before you are sent off to find another person with the same card I’ll give you by the door. The guys, once you have your card, come find me in the living room, and I’ll give you your destination. There, you will wait for your partner. Once you two are together, find a letter I have written hidden somewhere where you two will be at, and read it. Follow the directions, and the game will start from there.”

There is a pause as everyone tries to follow what Key just said.

“May the best couple…wins.”

*

Everyone has already picked a room to stay and wait in. All that’s left is for Key to give them their card and the game will officially start. The sun has already set, but it’s not completely dark yet. The sky may be cloudy, but it’s definitely still bright enough to see around, even if the game is to last two hours, as said by Key.

Yuri stays in her bedroom. Yoona is in the office. Jessica is outside. Hyoyeon is in the guestroom. Taecyeon is in the closet, though his body is pretty big and tall for the medium sized closet room in the hallway. Minho is in the second bathroom. Eunhyuk is in Yuri’s father’s bedroom. Finally, Jonghyun is in the garage.

Key walks over to Taemin, who has been keeping track of where everyone is staying. He whispers to Taemin, “Ya, you’ve got everybody?”

Taemin whispers back, “But I thought we’re not supposed to help you, so why are we keeping track of where everyone is staying?”

“Sh! Just do what I say, and you’ll have fun.” Key demands.

“Got it.” Taemin obediently obeys. “Here is where everyone’s at.”

Key grabs the paper and does a few markings. “Let me take this for a while, and I’ll give it back.” As he walks over to each room, he marks down something after placing the card in front of the doors. After about five minutes of doing that, he hands the paper back to Taemin. “Okay! The game has started! Boys. You may come out and see your card and come to me for your destination. Girls, stay where you are at.”

While the doors open, Taemin looks over the paper. By each name of the contestant, Taemin sees a letter. He starts to wonder what the letter stands for.

After all the boys left to their destination, Key says the same thing, except now it’s for the girls. Key has to go outside to inform Jessica.

The girls do the same, too, getting their destination from Key.

As soon as everyone’s left, Taemin asks Key, “What does each of these letters symbolize?”

Key grabs the paper. “The cards of course.”

“WHAT?!” Onew and Taemin shout in disbelief.

“I thought you were going to give it to them randomly?!” Onew says. “Wasn’t that your instructions?”

“Ya, think about it.” Key defends himself. “Even if playing it randomly turns out to be awesome, this ‘randomness’ is much better.” He turns the paper over and lets Onew and Taemin see the paper. “Look at each couple I’ve assigned. Trust me. This will be fun.”

Onew takes the paper as he can’t see from above in his wheelchair. He matches the person’s name to the letter and tries to find the partner. “Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk?” He reads the couple list. “At the garden near the children’s school.”

“Taecyeon and…”

*

“Oppa!” Hyoyeon shouts to get Eunhyuk’s attention. “Don’t tell me I got you as my partner!?” She frowns in disappointment.

Eunhyuk can’t believe what he heard. “How can you not be happy that you have your boyfriend as your partner?”

Hyoyeon angrily turns around. “Because I want one of the idols for a change.” She bites her lower lip to stop her from smiling in happiness.

He drops his card in anger. “Fine. I’ll-I’ll go back!” He turns around and walks away. With every step, he turns to look and to see if she will take it back. When he gets a few centimeters away, she finally gives in.

She grabs his wrist and clasps her hands into his. “Sorry. I was joking.” She shows him her card. “I got the Jack. You have it too, right?”

He shows her his card. ‘Yep. That’s why you came to me.”

“You mean, you came to me.” She giggles.

He tries to hide his shy face. “I was just trying to make myself clear so you’d see me.”

“Oh, I saw you.” She sarcastically comments. “Oppa, joke later, game now. We have to find the hidden letter, right? It should be around here since he sent us here.”

The couple looks at their surroundings. It is full of scented flowers as they are in a garden. They don’t know where to start the search or where Key could’ve possibly hidden the letter. All they know is that the letter is white and is a plain binder paper, as that was all he could use from Taemin’s bag.

“I’ll search this side, and you’ll search that side.” Eunhyuk suggests a split, which Hyoyeon agrees.

They cooperatively and carefully look for anything white, in case it might be the paper. They even check the nearby children’s trashcans that are set outside of the school. After much searching, which probably took about ten to fifteen minutes, Eunhyuk finds the paper. He calls for Hyoyeon and they read the fast-written letter out loud.

“If you found this letter and have no idea what it is about, please do not throw it away. It is for a game. If you are involved in the game, please continue reading.”

*

The next couple, Taecyeon’s, reads their directions in continuation.

“Congratulations on finding the letter. You are now able to start the battle. Both of you have an identical card. The next step is for you to enter your rivals’ territories and use any non-violent means to obtain their cards. At the same time, please be on the lookout for a joker.”

*

Minho looks at his partner. After she gives him a nod to continue reading, he reads the paper. “There are only two jokers. A joker will play an important role at the end of the game. But in order to win, you must obtain all eight cards including one joker, in total of nine cards altogether. “

*

“Because there are two jokers, it is possible to have two winning couples. One couple must have all nine cards and the other couple can win with just a joker. At the end of this letter is a question. Please read it, and both partners must truthfully answer it to one another. This will only be done once. Good luck. Key.”

Jonghyun puts the paper down as he finishes reading the instructions each couple has received. He looks at his partner. Let’s go...”

*

“That Key. Why is he asking such a personal question?” Minho crumbles the paper and tosses it behind him. He turns and faces his partner. “Let’s just go.” He leads the way as he exits their place, turning a corner onto the left.

They walk in silence, with him in the lead.

She doesn’t want to annoy him any further, as he already seems annoyed.

“...Taemin....” She finally musters courage to speak out. She sees him stop walking. She becomes stiff, nervous at what he’s going to do next.

He turns around and faces her. “Did you just called me Taemin?”

She shakes her head. “I said...I don’t know if I like...Taemin.”

Minho becomes flustered, but he doesn’t show it. “Why are you telling me this?”

She looks away from him. “...I don’t want any misunderstanding.”

Minho smiles after she walks passed by him in happiness. He realizes this and composes himself. What am I doing? Ya, who cares about who she likes. He turns around and walks beside his partner. “Let’s invade our easiest target first.”

Is it just me or did he just get happier? Yuri smiles and nods her head in agreement.

*

“What kind of question is this?” Yoona scoffs at the question they received in the letter. What can I even say to him?! She and her partner are a few centimeters away from one another.

“Do you want to answer first, or shall I answer first?” He asks.

Yoona puts the paper aside and tries to smile. “We don’t have to do this. It’s only a game. He—”

“Then, I’ll go.”

Yoona becomes nervous as her partner slowly walks toward her. She wants to walk backward. She wants to run. But she won’t.

His eyes pierce through her, not letting her go, as if he’s paralyzing her. He begins. “I...I know that you and Minho aren’t dating for real.”

*

“Do you have a first love?” Minho and Yuri are waiting at the stop line to cross over.

They are near Jonghyun’s and his partner’s area.

Each couple’s area is already listed on the paper, so that’s how they knew.

He avoids eye contact with Yuri. “Just in case Key asks, wanting confirmation.” He lies, when he knows down deep, he wants the answer.

When the signal comes on, they walk the crosswalk. While walking, Minho notices that Yuri’s walking slower than usual.

“I used to think it was Taemin,” she says. “But I think it’s pure admiration because we share the same love for dance.” She sends him a small smile.

Minho succumbs to that smile.

Finally, they turn onto another corner, which should be the spot for where Jonghyun and Jessica are.

Yuri’s face brightens as she sees her friends. “Sica unni!” She shouts but stops when she sees the serious expressions on Jonghyun’s and Jessica’s face.

Minho stops right beside her, seeing the exa

Please log in to read the full chapter