Im Yoona

Please Stay

 

            Gyuri stared at the reflection in the mirror.  Her blonde hair was wavy and had a carefree attitude to it.  Her face was lightly done with makeup.  That was when she felt the most beautiful, little to no makeup.  Today she was wearing an oversized white hoodie with black stripes and tightly fitted black leggings.  She looked stunning, but she did not have many plans today.

            Tonight she did not have work.  For now though, she was going to eat a late breakfast/early lunch with Grandpa Joon at All Day.  What worried her was running into Taecyeon, whose place was nearby.  However, she was meeting Grandpa Joon.  She sought his advice because he turning into a father figure for her.  His advices and chats were the simpler parts of life.  Experienced and wise, he taught her about life.  For him, he enjoyed having a younger friend, who was also starting to become like a daughter.  He never had a daughter.  Only two sons.  From those sons, some grandsons and one granddaughter, but she was in Hawaii for school.

            Growing up, Gyuri’s father was an absent figure.  Her parents were forced to marry once both of their parents found out about the pregnancy.  Then shortly after Gyuri’s birth, he split.  They never got along according to her mother.  Since leaving, he never contacted them.  Being raised without a father was difficult.  Despite her beauty and talents, people would always see lowly of her.  Misfortune plagued them.  Her mother was an artist, but that did not help pay the bills or comfortably raise a child.  Gyuri had to learn how to be strong and independent.  Not much resources and an absent father, Gyuri wanted to prove something.  However, she did appreciate the father figure Grandpa Joon was turning into, despite knowing him for such a short period of time.

            Gyuri was done getting ready and was check listing her day’s plans.  There was not much on the schedule, but it was good to be organized.  As she made her way to the kitchen, she saw Nicole staring at a measuring cup.

            “Hey do you want to eat with Grandpa Joon and me?  He invited you too.”

            “It’s okay, I got to study for a class.  We have a test on converting cooking measurements,” Nicole continued looking at the cup and murmuring numbers to herself.

            Watching her friend was hilarious, so Gyuri could not hold her giggles.  However, Gyuri’s phone rang, so she checked her messages.  Her smile turned into a frown.

 

Can we talk?  I’m sorry for pushing you like that, but I’m only looking out for you- Eunhyuk

 

            True, he was only protecting her.  He always looked out for her.  He was the definition of a best friend.  Whenever she had a problem, he would listen.  Whenever she needed a shoulder to cry on, he was the one.  Whenever she was happy, he was happy.  Whenever she had great news, he was the first to congratulate her.  Whenever she needed support, he would support her.  He was the definition of best friend. 

            Due to their closeness, people told them that they looked like a couple.  Eunhyuk would smile at this.  Gyuri did not mind hearing this, but she never saw them like that.  Despite their closeness, they did not have that chemistry Gyuri searched for.  The only one she had it with was Taecyeon.  The same one she was currently trying to ignore.

            Now as she thought of this, she realized she was wearing his jacket.  That was why it was so large on her.  Despite its size, it felt soft and cozy against her skin.  It made her feel warm.

            “Omma what’s with the frown and you hugging yourself,” the food lover broke her attention away from the glass.

            Gyuri sighed, “Eunhyuk sent another text.  It must be the hundredth one since last night.”

            “Could you blame him?  He seemed upset after finding out about you and Taecyeon.  Who would have known those two are cousins.   They are so-”

            “Different.  Yeah, but could you blame me too?  He was on my nerves.  Eunhyuk does not understand Taecyeon.”

            Nicole sympathetically looked at her best friend, “He is only looking out for you.  We all are.  Taecyeon only seems to hurt you, and yet you always protect him.  I would think Eunhyuk knows Taecyeon better, based on-”

            “What?  Their hatred for one another?”

            “Well, Eunhyuk seems to know him better.  Why are you so mad at Eunhyuk?  He’s one of your best friends, along with me,” Nicole flashed a smile, but  it turned back to a frown, “You’ve never fought with him like this.”

            Gyuri knew her best friend would not understand her now.  “Have you ever met that person where everything about him is right?  The two of you have a chemistry that can’t be experienced by no other.  You’ll always need each other.  You’ll do anything for that person for his own better.  You’ll go against everything for him.  That’s how I feel about Taecyeon.  He scares me.  He challenged me.  Yet I allow it to happen because he and I are like that.  I’ve realized it earlier, but Taecyeon is slowly realizing it,” This was one of the few moments Gyuri revealed the rawness of her.

            “I have to go, but I’ll see you later.”

-------

            Im Yoona.

            “Hi my name is Im Yoona and you’re-” his date gasped, “Ok Taecyeon?  Is that you?”

            She started to walk towards him, but Taecyeon could only step back.  She reminded him why he left the states.  He thought he could escape her problems.  The least he could do was feel guilty about his problems.  He did not need to be reminded of it. 

            Yoona…

            Yubin…

            “It’s been awhile.  How are you holding up?”  Yoona understood his reaction.

            “I… I can’t do … this…” Taecyeon trembled, “I have to go.”

            “Wait, we should talk about what happened. I can help-” Before Yoona could finish her statement, he sprinted away.

            “Yubin,” he whispered to himself.  He almost pushed a waitress.  He swerved away from the tiny statue.  He made his way to the door.  The bell rang. 

            Taecyeon did not make it far.  Just a few steps away from the café, he bumped into someone pretty hard.  The person fell down.  Not wanting to be rude, he tried helping the person up.  She had familiar blonde hair.

            “I’m so sorry … Gyuri?” Taecyeon was taken aback.

            As he helped her up, he saw his grandpa standing next to her, “Grandpa?”

            Grandpa Joon chucked, “Funny, Gyuri this is the grandson I’ve always wanted you to meet.  I think you two would hit it off-“

            Gyuri finally opened her eyes, “Taecyeon?”

            “Gyuri,” he watched her.

            Grandpa Joon saw this, “I guess you know each other already.  What a small world.”

            Following behind Taecyeon, Yoona caught up to him, “Finally I found you.  I think we need to talk.”

            Taecyeon responded by grabbing Gyuri’s hand, surprising everyone.  Usually he would grab her wrist.  Their fingers tightly intertwined, Taecyeon pulled her away.

            “Let’s go.”

             Despite Gyuri being mad at him, she did not protest because she understood this behavior.  Giving Grandpa Joon an apologetic expression, he nodded in approval.

            Yoona stood there, not believing what was happening.  She tried to follow them, but Grandpa Joon stopped her.

            “Aren’t you worried?”  Yoona exclaimed.

            Grandpa Joon watched them, “No, I believe they are in good hands.”

-------

            After so much walking and pulling, Gyuri stopped, “What are you doing?”

            Taecyeon watched her face and said nothing.  He continued walking with Gyuri.  What seemed like an hour, they stopped in front of a movie theatre.  Silently, he studied the schedule, and pulled her to the box office.  She did not hear what he said, she was too perplexed by his behavior.

            What was causing this?

            Taecyeon decided he wanted a drink, so they stood in line of the concession stand.  Their fingers were still intertwined.  His fingers wrapped around hers.  Despite his mood, she felt safe.  His face was so severe though.  People in the area could fear its force, so they curiously observed these two.  Some men would try to check out Gyuri, but Taecyeon’s glares shooed them away.  Women would try to catch his attention, but he would only ignore them or put his attention on Gyuri.  When he observed her, his eyes softened.

            Once he ordered a coke, he picked one straw.  Were they supposed to share?  He led to the theatre, still holding hands.  As they sat down, the film started.  Their hands let go, but Taecyeon protectively placed his arm around Gyuri.  Why was he like this?  During the film, Gyuri did not watch because her eyes were fixated on Taecyeon.  Even though his eyes were on the screen, he was not watching.  It was more like he was thinking.  He was in deep thought again.

              When the film finished, he grabbed her hand again.  This time she followed him, no questions.  As they were walking , people would state.  Them on the other hand, would ignore.  By the time they stopped, they were in front of a store.  Taecyeon looked at her, analyzing her. 

            “Isn’t that my shirt?”

            She nodded. He half smiled for once.

            “You fit it nicely.”

            They went inside the men’s clothing store.  He seemed to have an idea of what he wanted.  First he grabbed a pair of dark blue jeans.  Then he picked up a white shirt and black jacket.  It was one of the most relaxed outfits she had ever seen of his.  Usually he was in a suit or collared shirt.  He looked a little more comfortable, except he still had that intensity.  As though according to schedule, he held her hand again and led her somewhere else.

            Both were hungry since it was late in the afternoon.  Even though Taecyeon did not say much, he read both of their minds and searched for a certain place.  About thirty minutes later, Taecyeon seemed satisfied when he stopped in front of a retro American diner.  Gyuri had never seen the place, but she was fascinated.

            Inside, the staff automatically showed them a booth in the corner of the diner.  In between a poster of Elvis and a jukebox, it was isolated from the rest of the customers.  A waitress memorized Taecyeon’s order, since she only asked for Gyuri’s.  A medium cheeseburger, fries, and a water.  Taecyeon must come here often since he only nodded his head.  Their meal was silent.  However, Taecyeon would her hand and look deep into her eyes.  He had something to say, but how to tell?

            After finishing their burgers, they sat quietly.  Observing and analyzing each other.  Out of the blue, Taecyeon stood up and made his way to the jukebox.  Slipping in a quarter, he jammed the buttons until he was content.  A slow song that Gyuri did not recognize played.  Then he pulled her onto the empty area near the music box.  He held on to her waist tightly.  Gyuri automatically draped her arms around his neck.  There was some distance in between them. 

            Taecyeon whispered in Gyuri’s right ear, “Closer.”  As he said that, he pulled her in.  Not even a thin magazine could part them.  People were staring at such public display of affection.  Taecyeon did not care.  Why was he so affectionate with her?

            When the song ended, he placed a large bill on the table and took her hand.  They were off to another place yet again.  This time though, Gyuri recognized where they were going.

-------           

            About a few minutes later, they stood in front of his hotel, Legacy Tower.  The staff was shocked by their skinship.  They knew about the nightly “visits”, but they did not expect the relationship to change.  However, Gyuri herself did not understand what was happening.  Only Taecyeon knew.

            In a matter of time, they were at this hotel door.  The moment the door opened, Taecyeon led her to his bedroom.  He was strong, but not forceful.  While they stood near his bed, he nipped at her ear and made a path down her neck.  Then as he was close to her bosom, he faced her.  Cupping her face, he gave her a long deep kiss.  It was soft and romantic.  It was unlike him.  Slowly, he pushed her on top of the luxurious king sized bed.

            As they continued their kiss, Taecyeon caressed her body.  Praising her.  Then he stopped.  A tear strolled down his cheek.  He rolled off of her and sat at the foot of his bed.  His head was down.  Gyuri could hear him crying.  He needed her.  She then sat behind him and his hair.

            Taecyeon turned his head to her, “That night…”