Picking Up Taemin

Please Stay

 

            “What you coloring, kid?”

            “Nothing”

            Taecyeon turned his chair to the little boy in front of him.  Across from him was Taemin, who was busy scribbling on his coloring book.  Every few seconds, the little boy would stop and carefully switch his crayons after some thought.  Then he would return to the book.  Seeing this, Taecyeon smiled at the scene.  Whenever Taemin was at the building, he would visit his Uncle Taecyeon.  During these times, the man did not mind.  In fact he invited the boy and enjoyed the company. Taemin would do homework, draw, read, color, or play quietly.  He was a good kid, never causing trouble and keeping to himself.  Sometimes Taecyeon would join in or help the kid if he was not too busy.  However they always made sure to have a snack time together because they loved food.  Taemin would try to share his cookies or something from his lunchbox.  Taecyeon would always provide something though.  Like right now when a tiny rumble was heard in the room.

            At first, the boy gave a cheeky smile to which the man laughed at.  They both knew that it was snack time.  Simultaneously they turned away from one another.  Taemin dug his backpack to find his lunchbox.  Meanwhile, Taecyeon pulled out a few treats from his desk drawer.  Once they both returned to the desk, they laid out their treasures.  Hungry, Taemin scanned the goods to see which snacks were desirable today.   At times he would grab some of the treats and inspect it carefully, making sure they were up to standard.  On the other hand, Taecyeon watched this scene.  He knew that his “nephew” liked to trade their snacks, to which Taecyeon played along with.  It was cute watching the boy be so serious over such a trivial thing like snacks.

            “My pepero for your two choco pies,” Taemin started the negotiations.

            “Your sticks for one choco pie and a tangerine,” Taecyeon threw a curve.  He liked challenging the boy at times because it forced him to think a bit.  Not only that, he liked watching Taemin’s face during his “thinking” time.

            The boy started to squint his eyes, as he tapped his fingers against his cheeks.  A few moments later, he pouted, “Pepero for one choco pie and an apple.”

            “Deal,” Taecyeon gave his hand out, to which Taemin shook.

            “Nice doing business with you,” the boy said in his most adult-voice.  The man chuckled at this, knowing that the younger one probably heard him say it once before. 

            “Do you want some banana milk?” Taecyeon asked he walked over to his mini-fridge in the office.

            “Yes please!”

            Once Taecyeon returned, he handed Taemin a carton and half of a sandwich.  At first, he was confused by this sandwich, he tried to inspect by staring at the contents.  However hungry and curious, Taemin took a large bite of the sandwich.  After a few bites, there was a smile on his face, “Uncle what type of sandwich is this?”

            “Spicy Italian.  I can assume you like it.  Do you want me to bring some more next time? ” Taecyeon chuckled as he ate his half too.

            The little boy nodded his head, as he ferociously ate the delicious salami and pepperoni sandwich.  Both enjoyed their mini meal, eating their snacks and sipping on banana milk.  Then they heard something.

KNOCK

            Both turned their attention to the door, where they saw a woman there.  Taemin just blankly stared.  Taecyeon on the other hand silently groaned to himself.  He put his sandwich down and wiped his face, preparing himself for what was to happen.

            “Yobo, aren’t you happy to see me,” Yoona had her arms out wide while walking to Taecyeon.  Once she reached her target, she hugged with little resistance.  Not wanting to give a bad image, Taecyeon reluctantly hugged her.  He wanted to maintain his nice image in front of Taemin.  Besides he did not want to teach bad behaviors to the youngling. 

            As Taecyeon broke from the hug, Yoona noticed the blank boy watching them with crumbs around his mouth.  At first, she was taken aback.  This child looked so much like her husband.  Big ears that stood out.  Slightly large boxy teeth.  The eyes were similar, large and mischievous.  They resembled each other so much.  Even the boy’s long hair reminded her of Taecyeon from a few years ago.  Despite this shock, she kept a calm face. Then she turned her attention to the boy, “Hi.  What’s your name?”

            “My mommy said not to talk to strangers,” the boy mumbled.

            Hearing this, Taecyeon smirked.  Boy did his mom teach him good lessons.  Especially to stay away from strange people like Im Yoona.  However, Taemin and Yoona did not notice this.

            “I’m not a stranger.  I’m Mr. Ok’s wife.” Yoona stepped closer.

            “Mr. Ok?  You mean Uncle Taecyeon.”

            “Yes, I’m Uncle Taecyeon’s wife.  You can me Ms. Im or Mrs. Ok,” she tried to convince the boy to reveal himself.  She was confused by this child’s appearance.

            “It’s okay kiddo.  You can tell her who you are,” Taecyeon tried to reassure the boy.  It was only so Yoona would not be so nosy later.  Besides he could tell she was getting impatient.

            Taemin stood from his chair.  Standing tall with his hands to the side, he looked like he had an announcement, “My name is Lee Taemin.  I like ramen with cheese.”

            “That’s interesting,” Yoona said with little care, but she was curious of this boy, “How come you’re here?”

            “Well, Uncle Taecyeon says I can come here-”

            “Taemin!” a familiar chirpy voice called out. 

            Hearing this, Taemin immediately turned his head to the door with a large smile on his face.  Taecyeon had a neutral face, but he was mixed inside. Meanwhile, Taemin jumped out of his chair, charging to the door.  His little arms swung in quick tight movements.  Those tiny legs of his took in big strides.  He called out, “I’m here Mommy!  I’m here Mommy!”

            As he reached the door, there was Gyuri.  The little boy wrapped his arms around her, elated to see her.  Gyuri looked at her son, his head, “Hi sweetie.  You haven’t bothered your Uncle Taecyeon?”

            Taemin lifted his head, “No Mommy.  Did you know Uncle Taecyeon’s married?  She’s here right now.”

            Hearing this, Gyuri immediately popped her head up.  She made eye contact with Im Yoona.  It was difficult to read her old rival’s face.  For some reason, it had a poker face to it.  Emotionless, cold, and stiff.  There was some type of aggressiveness to it though.  The way her arms crossed.  Was she trying to send a message?  However, Gyuri feared one question.  Did Yoona figure out Taemin’s relationship with Taecyeon? 

            “I know Mrs. Ok,” Gyuri held her son’s hand as he pulled her to where everyone else was.  Each step was heavier and heavier.  Her heart was pumping on pure adrenaline.  Her eyes kept darting to Yoona, Taecyeon, and Taemin.  Yoona stood there.  Taecyeon had a nervous smile.  Did he figure it out?  Then there was Taemin.  He had that playful grin of his. 

            “Gyuri it has been some time,” Yoona extended her hand to her rival.

            Suspicious, Gyuri stared at it.  However, she shook it anyway, “Same to you Yoona.”

            Being the young boy he was, Taemin could not sense the tension in the room.  Taecyeon, on the other hand, was fretful.  He saw the way Yoona stared at Gyuri.  If looks could kill, Gyuri and her son would be face down.  Seeing this look made him worry.  Now she knew that he still maintained some contact with his previous lover, what was next?  He only thought of those words she said that one night.

 

If you try anything, you won’t be my first target.

 

            At first, he thought it was an empty threat.  What could she do?  However, that look reminded Taecyeon of how conniving that doe-eyed woman could be.  If she was able to lure him into a loveless marriage, she probably had many plots in that mind of hers.  Gyuri would be the first target.  What would she have in store for her though?

            “I see you have a son,” Yoona pinched Taemin’s cheek.  Unlike previous cheek pinchings, he had a scowl, something rare to see on him. 

            Gyuri did not appreciate watching the scene.  Deep inside she wanted to smack Yoona’s hand away.  However, she could not do so.  She could not be defensive over Taemin like this.  It would only arise certain questions and problems.  This would not be for her son.   It would only be for her selfish actions, which was not afforded.  Especially as a mother.  Keeping her emotions in control, she gently squeezed her son’s hand, “Yes, this is my baby, Taemin.  He’s his mommy’s little angel.  Aren’t you sweetie?”

            Briefly taken over by her love for her son, she bent down and kissed his cheeks.  Taemin giggled at this, as he turned to kiss her on the lips.  He hugged her tightly, which allowed Gyuri to scoop him up.   As she held him in her arms, she smiled, “Sorry to leave so suddenly, but I need to drop off Taemin right now.  Is it okay if I come back and clean up this mess?  It’s just that he really needs to go.”

            “Don’t worry, I’ll clean this up,” Taecyeon reassured her.  His wife stood at the side with a silent approval.  She knew that her husband was making the right decision.

            “Are you sure?  I can do it,” Gyuri did not want the busy vice-president to have another responsibility on his shoulders.  Hearing this, Yoona was irritated to see that this woman was so insistent to be around her husband.  Did she not have her own husband to tend to?

            “It’s fine.  Take him to his next event,” Taecyeon said as he was putting away the treats and coloring books.  He then packed Taemin’s bag and placed it on one of Gyuri’s shoulders.

            “Bye Taecyeon.  Thank you again for helping me!” Gyuri slightly bowed in gratitude.  Then she turned to her former rival, “It was nice to see you again.”

            With a cocky attitude, she smirked, “You too.”

            As the mother and son were leaving the room, Taemin waved to the married couple, “Bye Mrs. Ok!  Uncle Taecyeon, am I going to see you later?”

            Waving back, the man nodded his head, “Definitely buddy.  Can’t miss it.”

-----

CRASH

            The wall faced no damages.  However on the ground were scattered glass shards.  Next to it was a split wooden frame.  Nearby was Taecyeon and Yoona’s wedding photo.  Unlike most modern wedding pictures, this one was serious and cold.  No love was captured.  They were like two statues that stood next to one another.  Like this picture was a mandatory assignment.  Then again most things in their lives seemed like that.

            “What am I going to do?” Yoona shrieked.  She was pulling her hair, racing across the room.  Each step was a short stomp.  It shook the room despite the young woman’s light body.  Along with her path she saw another picture of her husband.  This only caused her blood to boil, as she grabbed it.  Then with one throw, it flew into the room.  This time it hit an armoire.

            Sitting on the bed, Yuri was unsure of how to react, “Yoona, calm down-”

            “Calm down?” Yoona roared, snapping to her friend’s direction.  Fire burning in her eyes was an understatement.  More like a storm.  “How can you tell me to calm down?  Do you not understand what is happening?”

            “I don’t even know what you’re talking about.  You just told me to come down here,” Yuri tried to tell her angry friend.

             “She has a child!”

            “Who does?”

            “That .  Park Gyuri,” Yoona growled.

            “Why does it matter that she has a child?  Let her live her life,” Yuri tried to deviate the conversation.  She had to admit that she felt sorry for both of these women.  One was an emotional wreck.  The other was the target.  What was worse?

            “It matters to me,” Yoona pointed to herself.  “Do you not get it?  She has a child.  A son. He looks like Taecyeon.”

            Yuri’s eyes suddenly became bigger.  However, she did not want to jump to conclusions, “Are you sure Yoona?  Are you not being paranoid?”

            “I’m not!  He’s four.  He could be Taecyeon’s son.  It’s possible based on his age alone.  But he looks like Taecyeon I swear.  A younger version.  They have the same ears, same mouth, same shape, same nose.  Their eyes are similar.  That boy has a mix of his mother and father.  That mother.  That .  She always wins,” Yoona ranted.

            “But you’re with him now.  He married you before her because you were going to have his baby first.  Remember he slept with you.  He got you pregnant,” Yuri tried to reason.

            “That’s the thing.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I never slept with him.”

            “What?” Yuri was speechless.

            “I was never pregnant.”