Later that Night

Please Stay

 

            Taemin was in his Spongebob pajamas when he jumping on his bed.  Despite the fun filled night, he was still hyper and very awake.  Maybe hanging out with Taecyeon gave him more energy than he thought.  After the large ice cream sundae they had, Taemin passed by an arcade with Gyuri and Taecyeon following behind.  Seeing the flashing lights and tantalizing prizes, he really wanted to inside.   At first, Gyuri said it was too late since she was tired, but Taecyeon insisted that he would drive her home.  It was difficult to say no, after seeing the begging look from the both of them. 

            She agreed on the condition of two games.  That was not followed though, as two games led to two hours of games.  They spent their time there, playing against each other in various games.  Both had fun competing against one another, yet still supportive of one another as they cheered for everyone.  What Gyuri did not expect though was Taecyeon treating them to the arcades too, especially with a number of games they played.  He would not take her money when she tried to pay him back since he was Taemin’s relative.  Briefly, after that comment, she could think to herself about if he only knew.

            “Mommy can you read me another bedtime story,” Taemin used his super power of puppy eye mode.

            Gyuri looked at the clock.  It was 10:45 PM, a bit too late for a boy his age to be up.  Despite the cuteness overflowing from every pore in his body, she had to play the role of the responsible mother.  Sitting on his bed, she placed her hand on his hand.  He immediately settled down and crawled underneath the sheets.

            She scooted closer to him, and rubbed his head, “I’m sorry baby, it’s really late.  How about tomorrow?”

            Instead of fighting back, Taemin nodded his head, “Okay mommy.  I had a really good time tonight.”

            “You did?”

            Taemin snuggled closer to her, “Yeah.  I want to hang out with uncle Taecyeon again.”

            “You do?” Gyuri tried her best not to frown.  She was unsure of how to feel about this.  It was terrific that they got along, but it was difficult for her to explain clearly.  They obviously shared a connection, but they didn’t know why.  Even if Eunhyuk had the title of father, he did not have the sense of it.  It was her fault.

            “Maybe next time sweetie,” Gyuri kissed Taemin’s head as she held him tight.  She could not exactly tell him no.  He would ask why.  Then she had to think of something.  “Night my little Taeminnie.  Do you know how much Mommy loves you?”

            Taemin broke away for a moment, and stretched his arms out to the best he could, “This much Mommy!”

            “Even more,” Gyuri smiled as she playfully tapped the tip of his nose.

            “To the moon and back,” Taemin pointed to the sky.

            “More than you will ever know,” she squished her son’s cheeks and placed a kiss on him.

            “I love you, Mommy,” Taemin giggled.

-----

            Gyuri sat on the stool in her kitchen, mindlessly stirring her tea.  Each stir brought new ripples and circles that reflected back her.  She hoped that she could find that one answer to solve the multitude of her problems.  Instead of having that epiphany that she dreamed of, she only received her beautiful reflection staring back at her.  It was no use.  Besides what she was searching for was a dream.  She lived in reality.  Had it been a dream, she would not have been stuck in this situation.

             Gyuri felt a pair of arms wrap around her.  It was Eunhyuk, “Hey”

            “Hi,” she continued to back to her business.  One had on her cup, the other emptily stirring the drink.

            “Are you okay?” Eunhyuk continued to hold onto her. 

            She was quiet.  What to tell him?  For a moment she sighed but felt her hand stop moving.  Eunhyuk had a tight hold on it.

            He lowered his head, so he could make some form of eye contact with her, “You’re not all right.  Is it from work?”

            Nothing was said.

            Being the caring husband, he knew why she was in this state.  However, he was afraid of asking her about it.  It would be fine if it did not involve that Ok Taecyeon, but it probably did.  He was scared of her response.

            Gyuri stood up from her seat and walked to the fridge, “Let me make you some dinner.  You must be hungry.”

            She was not going to say anything. 

-----

           Taecyeon carefully closed his apartment door, trying not to cause a commotion.  A quiet click echoed through the place, which caused him to wince.  Based on the lighted stand-alone lamp next to the door, he could tell that Yoona was here.  One of her favorite Burberry purses hung on the coat hanger, along with her trench coat.  He thought that it was odd.  She was home quite early, for her that is.  Confused, Taecyeon glanced at the old rich grandfather clock near him.

10:45 PM.

            He was definitely seeing things right.  It was quite strange that she was home early.  His head crooked to the side, as he remembered that she mentioned something about going out with her friends tonight.  She did not exactly tell him so.  More like it was through a text message since she tried to invite him.  However, he told her about staying late at the office again.  The message was not long and apologetic.  It was straight and to the point.  Some would say it had a cold tone to it, but that did not matter.  For him and Yoona, things were curt.  Nothing emotional about them.

            As he walked down the hallway, he noticed a dim light in the living room.  Maybe Yoona had some friends over.  However, the room seemed quiet.  Still, he was going to let her continue on with her business.  He almost passed the living room.

            “Stop.”

            Taecyeon turned his head.  Sitting on the rich ivory loveseat was Yoona.  She was alone.  It was amazing that she stopped him since her back was against him.  She was staring at the burning fire place, which speckled little balls of fire at times.  Despite being behind her, Taecyeon could tell she was out tonight.  Wearing a blue and purple crazy printed Emilio Pucci dress and red Dior heels, it was obvious that Yoona had a statement to make.  Especially now, why would she be dressed like that when she was at her home already?

            “How was work tonight?” Yoona’s eyes became smaller as they glared down the fireplace.

            Taecyeon sighed, “I didn’t stay at work like I thought-”

            Her voice became icier, “What did you do then?”

            “I went out-”

            Suddenly she stood up, throwing her phone to the ground, “With Gyuri!”

            “How did you know?” he was taken aback, especially when she started marching at him.  Her eyes were now wide and wild.  Arms shifted back and forth in angry robust manner.  The clicks of her heels were louder and sharper.

            “How could you do that to me?” she screamed, ready to strike him.  “I saw you tonight with her!  At the ice cream shop!”

            Taecyeon knew Yoona was going to explode, “It was not like what you-”

            “It was so embarrassing!  I was with my friends when we saw you two at that table!  Holding hands,” she screeched, “My friends were whispering to me about how you and that -”

            “Don’t call her that,” Taecyeon roared.  “If I ever hear you-”

            Yoona smirked, “Somebody’s defensive.  I wouldn’t act all knight in shining armor for her.  Remember she is married.  Like how you’re married to me.  Imagine what people would say about her.”

            His hands were trying their best not to curl up, “It was not what you were thinking.”

            “How would Jin feel?  Knowing his daddy is going out with other women.”

            “Don’t try to use Jin as an excuse,” Taecyeon’s voice went one octave lower, “You were never there for him.  You were always out even when he was alive.”

            Suddenly Yoona’s mood switched, it was evident in her eyes.  Gone was this fiery anger.  Instead was this hint of sadness, but it seemed strange for some reason. “Have you ever thought I was recovering from the first one?  I need some time too.”

            “That didn’t mean you could turn your back to Jin.  Especially when you were the one who pushed for him.” Taecyeon turned his back on her.  “I’m going to my bedroom.”

            He started his walk down the hall, but he heard her voice.

            “Taecyeon”

            He did not stop.

           Yoona's eyes squinted and her voice went lower, “If you try anything, you won’t be my first target.”