Dinner and Ice Cream

Please Stay

 

            “Mmm… Mommy, it smells good here,” Taemin his lips as he walked inside the familiar green and white tent.  Gyuri waited for her son, while she waited for Taecyeon.  However he was holding the tent flap for her, so she smiled at him when she went inside.  Taecyeon returned a wider grin.  Once the trio was inside, they looked around for a seat.

            Since it was Friday night, it was not a shock that the place was crowded with the dinner rush crowd.  People from various ages were in their seats, enjoying their meals.  Some were drinking soju and snacking on the delicious sides.  Meanwhile many were slurping delicious noodles and drinking the succulent homemade broth.  Even though it was crowded tonight, Taecyeon really wanted them to eat here.  After all, Taemin practically begged to have some ramen.  Not only that, being here brought back memories that he wished he could return to.

            “Ok Taecyeon!  Park Gyuri!” a familiar voice greeted them.  Standing at the stove was Granny Kim, who was probably making another pot of her famous homemade broth.  However, she diverted her attention to the trio, as she walked to them with her arms wide.  “Omo my two favorite younglings.  It’s been so long since I’ve seen you.”

            After giving them the strongest hug possible, Granny Kim suddenly saw the young figure standing behind Gyuri.  She could not help, but to admire the little boy, “Omo you two have a son together too-”

            “Actually he’s my son,” Gyuri had to correct the older woman before the conversation turned too awkward.  She never thought that saying those words would be so tough.  Especially in front of Taecyeon, who seemed disappointed with his head down and hands in his pockets.  Wanting to lighten the mood, Gyuri stepped back, “Taemin say hi to Granny Kim.”

            At first, Taemin was shy, as he clutched onto his mom’s dress.  However, he looked up at Taecyeon, who gave a supportive nod.  This made the little boy open up, to which he took a confident step and flashed his giant toothy smile, “Hi Granny Kim.  I’m Lee Taemin.”

            “What a cute name for a cute boy,” Granny Kim said as she pinched the little boy’s cheeks.  Unlike most children, Taemin did not react negatively to this.  At this point, he was used to all the cheek pinching and deathly tight hugs given to him in his short life span.  Once the attention showering was over, Granny Kim let them sit anywhere they like.  Before she let go, she asked for their order.

            “One miso chicken ramen,” Gyuri asked.

            “With cheese please!” Taemin added in.  Taecyeon smiled to this response, the boy was like his mother in some ways.    He noticed, for a child his age, he was clever like Gyuri.  There was also a certain eloquence to them when they talked.  Not only that, but there were mixed features to him, it was difficult was to explain.   Taemin looked like Gyuri in some ways, but nothing like Eunhyuk. 

            “Did you order cheese in you ramen too Gyul?” Taecyeon teased.

            “No mommy has this thing called a diet.  I don’t why but she can’t-,” Taemin blurted, to which Gyuri tried to correct him.  However, Taecyeon responded first.

            “You don’t need to diet, you look great.  Ahjumma, can you put cheese in all of our ramen?”

            She tried to argue back but gave up once the old woman walked away.  Then she turned her attention back to Taemin and Taecyeon.  They were already at a table in the corner, huddled over a napkin.  Taecyeon had a pen out and seemed to draw something.  Taemin watched in amazement based on the way he was carefully watching every of the pen.  The scene made Gyuri smile from afar.  She never thought that she would see this.  It seemed so natural this image.  Taecyeon and Taemin were like any father and son, bonding over something new.   That thought saddened her though.  Taecyeon was and was not Taemin’s father.  The little boy had Eunhyuk as a father, even though it was difficult at times.  Her mind was unsure of what opinions, facts, and decisions that she had to process.  Tonight was going to be long and complicated. 

-----

            “Mommy look at the cats that Uncle Taecyeon and I drew,” Taemin proudly held his napkin, as they left the tent.  Like any mother, Gyuri paused and looked at the masterpiece made by her child.  Even though they were quite simple and slightly scary looking cats, Gyuri loved it. 

            Taemin pointed to a certain corner of his napkin.  There were three cats next to a house.  “I drew these cats.  You see the cat with long hair?  That’s you, Mommy.  The small one is me.” 

            Gyuri noticed a much taller cat in the trio, “Is that Daddy?”

            At first, the little boy was perplexed, but he pointed to another direction, “No I drew Daddy with Grandpa Joon.  The big cat with you and me is Uncle Taecyeon.”

            This took her back a bit.  How was she supposed to respond?  However, she did not reveal these thoughts, as she smiled.  “This is really good sweetie.  Say thank you to Uncle Taecyeon for teaching you to draw this.”

            Taemin immediately ran to the tall man trailing behind them.  Once he latched his arms around Taecyeon's legs, to which Taemin ruffled the kid’s hair.  He grinned, then had a mischievous look on his face.  Without notice, Taecyeon easily lifted Taemin over his head and placed the little boy on his shoulders.  Gyuri was scared, hoping that her precious baby would not fall.  On the other hand, Taemin giggled and cheered for Taecyeon, who was like Superman to the child. 

            “How about some ice cream?” Taecyeon slightly turned his head to Taemin.

            “Are you sure it’s not too late?” Gyuri was worried.  She knew that Taecyeon was a workaholic, especially with the extra hours spent in the office.  It was not like she spied on him.  She just knew so. 

            Seeing her worried for him made Taecyeon smile a bit, “Don’t worry.  My treat.”

            “You don’t have to.  You already paid for dinner,” Gyuri argued back, but it was no use though.  In lightning speed, he started charging to the ice cream shop nearby with her little boy in tow. 

            Gyuri playfully rolled her eyes and followed behind. 

-----

            The ice cream shop was like a paradise of sweets.  Homemade milky caramel smells hinted the room, mixed in with the candies and fruit scents that permeated the room.  What was amazing was that one could taste a light sugary powder when entering the store.  Bright colors splattered across the room, with cute cartoons decorating the room.  Fancy white chairs and tables were neatly placed.  In that large group, a particular couple sat watching a little boy plaster his face against the glass, trying to decide which ice cream flavors to choose.

            “He’s really adorable,” Taecyeon commented.  He turned his head to Gyuri, “You’re a good mom.”

            “Thanks.  You don’t have to say that,” Gyuri replied.  For a moment, she was silent.  She then took a deep breath, “How’s Yoona and your child?”

            Taecyeon’s hand stopped tapping the table.  Guilt panged him again.  “Yoona is fine these days.”  He was unsure of how to tell her this part, “My son… Jin.  He died.”

            Hearing this, Gyuri gasped.  Then without notice, she grabbed his hands.  She could not believe what she was hearing.  She felt terrible for asking such a question, “I’m so sorry, Taecyeon.” 

            Feeling her tight grasp, his other hand placed itself over them, He her hands, trying to reassure her.  He did not want her to be saddened by him when she already had issues and a life of her own, “Gyuri, don’t be sorry.  I should apologize to you.”

            “Taecyeon…”

            “I do.  I hurt you so much-”

            “You had a baby.”

            “It was my fault that the baby miscarried,” Taecyeon hung his head.

            “You couldn’t-” Gyuri tried to stop him from hurting himself.

            “I told Yoona to get a paternity test.  I didn’t know that there was a chance of miscarriage, until after she lost the baby.  It was my fault.  Then there was Jin…”

            Gyuri could not help, but to be surprised by the thought of two kids.  However, she knew that Taecyeon loved kids.  He would probably sacrifice himself for a child’s sake.  She did not say anything though because she knew that he was withholding this information and pain for so long.

            “Two months after we lost the baby, I ended up meeting a social worker, who was looking for parents of this little Korean baby boy.  His father was a drug addict and his mother did not have resources to raise anyone.  At first, I did not think much of it.  Then I ended up meeting the social worker again, and I decided to adopt this little boy.  My gut told me to.  Yoona was excited by the idea too.  Even though it was a quick decision, we had a little baby boy in our home.  We named him Jin.  He was such a great kid.  He liked dancing and sports.  Every chance I had, I would take him to the park and spoil him.  I didn’t have enough time for him though.  I wish I was a better father…”

            “Taecyeon, you were a good dad to him,” Gyuri squeezed his hand.

            A couple of tears fell, “I was not there for him though.  He was taken away so soon.  One day, he was coughing.  Then hours later, he died…”

            Gyuri turned to Taemin, thankful for him being there happy and healthy.  The idea of losing him so suddenly was unheard and unthinkable.  She could not imagine such a loss.

            “If I could have been more responsible, he would be here today.”

            Despite his heart being torn up, Taecyeon tried his best to suppress his emotions.  Only silent tears slid down his face.  There was little color in his face.  His nose slightly flared from slow breathing.  His thumb her hand more softly than ever.  He could only face down. 

            It pained Gyuri to see him in this state.  He was in a state worse than she could imagine.  She knew of his feelings towards her, and the way it felt to be apart.  Then to add more losses on top, it was devastating to know how he suffered.  Gyuri had confused on how to comfort him.  One hand squeezed his, while her other hand moved to his face.  Carefully, she wiped each tear.  As she did this, tears started to form in her eyes.

            “Mommy?  Uncle Taecyeon?” little Taemin stood there.  His head crooked to side, “Why are you crying?”

            Gyuri did not know how to answer his question, but she whispered to him, “Go give a hug to Uncle Taecyeon.”

            Taemin fully understood and walked to his new role model, with little questions.  All he knew was that Uncle Taecyeon needed a hug, which he was willing to provide.  Without a doubt, Taemin turned to Taecyeon and wrapped his tiny arms around the much bigger man.  The hug was reciprocated, with Taecyeon pulling the boy into a bigger bear hug. For some reason, while hugging the boy, Taecyeon felt this strange sensation.  Similar to the ones he felt for Jin.  He wanted to protect, care, and love Taemin will everything he had.  He was unsure why.