Part 2

Please Stay

 

            “What is there to celebrate?” Taecyeon sneered at the drink in disgust.  Still, he was staring at it.   He used the mirror’s reflection to observe what was going on behind him.  His gang of groomsmen was shifting uncomfortably and trying to chug their drinks.  Tensions were rising.

            “At least try,” Jay tried to alleviate the heaviness.  “Just drink.  Today’s a wedding.”

            “Quit it already!” a voice hollered from the corner of the room.  It was Nichkhun leaning against the wall.  Propping himself up, he walked back to the gang.  “Why are we all faking it?  We’re not the least bit happy.  Drinking isn’t going to do anything.  We are only fooling ourselves.”

            Junsu peeped, “Jay’s right though.  We need to try.”

           

            Taecyeon’s jaw dropped.  He stammered, “W-who?”

            The middle seated person rose from her chair.  Her figure was tall and skinny.  All too familiar.  Then she turned around.  It could not be.  Was this a nightmare he was having?  Was he still sleeping on the rooftop with Gyuri?  Please wake up.

            Im Yoona.
            He needed to get out of this.  Desperate, Taecyeon blabbered, “Why do I need to get married?  I’m already dating!  In fact, dad you just saw her!  Everyone heard her!  I’m back with Gyuri-”

            “Silence,” his father cut him off.  “Your mother and I agreed with the Im family that you’ll marry Yoona.  In fact, we all signed a contract.”

            This could not be real.  Taecyeon raised his voice, “Why?”

            Yoona stared at him like an innocent deer.  Her eyes grew big.  Lips quivered.  She started to shake.  For a second opened, but nothing came out.  Then she whispered, “I’m pregnant.”

 

            “Try to cheer up, Ok,” Junho pleaded with his best friend.  He was seated on the couch because no one dared to touch the groom.  “There’s a baby on the way.”

            The groom’s voice went one octave lower, “Who said that meant I should cheer up.”

           

            “Who’s the father?” Taecyeon asserted.

            “You are,” Yoona struggled to deliver through her choked crying.

            “How could you be disrespectful to her and your in-laws,” Mr. Ok rose from her desk, slamming it in anger.

            Mrs. Ok placed a calming hand on her husband’s shoulder, “Please relax.”  She stared at her son, “You’re stressing the baby.”

            Frustrated, the suspicious man blurted, “How far along are you?”

            “13-14 weeks.”

            As much as he hated to do so, Taecyeon tried to count back the past 13-14 weeks.  He realized that it consisted of Gyuri somehow.  Losing her once was terrible.  A word that understated his feelings.  Twice though, and more permanently, was a death sentence for him.  However, it would be worse for her.  She was broken by him, but she forgave him and allowed him back into her life.

            Then Taecyeon remembered that 13 to 14 weeks ago was that night with Yoona.

 

            Gyuri stood at the front of the old European-styled church.  It was like something she dreamed of her wedding to be.  A simple stairway out front surrounded by stone benches and a flourishing garden.  Stain glass windows beautifully decorated the church inside and out.  To the side, she noticed that there was a long black limo.  That was not what Taecyeon wanted.  He would want to drive in his vintage muscle car with a “Just Married” sign.  However, this was not under her control because this was not her wedding.

BANG

            Gyuri’s eyes traveled to the bell tower.  Then she looked at her watch.  3:00 PM.  There were only thirty minutes left until the wedding started.  Only thirty minutes left to tell him.  It was now or never.  She needed to get this off her chest. 

            Taking a deep breath, she straightened her dress and searched for her invitation.  She was actually invited to the ceremony and the party.  Gutsy a move it was.  After finding the perfectly handcrafted car with gold bordering and excellent calligraphy, she prepared herself.  She was unsure how he would react.  All she had was hope and courage.  She needed it.

           

            Taecyeon knew what would play out.  It was the typical route for people like him in this situation.  He had to marry Yoona.  He did not need to, but he had to.  If not consequences would follow.  He had seen it in the case of his cousin, Lee Hyukjae.  Eunhyuk’s parents were never together.  Just one night.  However, their actions carried out in the lives of the mother and son.  Both were outcasts.  Similar to Gyuri and her mother.

            Being a single mother and a child to one meant a loner’s life.  No one would want to go near them.  Mother and child were like incurable contagious diseases.  It would be difficult for the mother to carry a job.  People would label her.  The innocent child would be alone and bullied by fellow peers.  With little resources and unending negativity, the child would have slim chances of success.  Unlike the common fate for these children, Eunhyuk and Gyuri were not those cases for different reasons.  Eunhyuk was fortuned to be the only, but illegitimate, child of a rich businessman.  This gifted him hidden tainted opportunities.  Gyuri on the other hand struggled through poorer upbringings.  She managed to survive and dodge an unforeseen future through ambition and talent.

            Before hearing this, Taecyeon had a good idea of his future.  A life with Gyuri.  As cheesy as it sounded, he wanted the family life with her.  A large house filled with many kids like he desired.  Knowing her, she would want dogs.  Crazy as it sounded, they would juggle kids, dogs, and work to have the ultimate family life.  They would raise and watch their children grow.  Eventually grow old together.

            At last he discovered what he wanted.  He had to fight for it.

            Without hesitation, Taecyeon blurted, “What if I don’t marry her?”

            The room silenced.  A pin drop could be heard.  The mothers slumped in their chairs, hands on their foreheads.  Their fathers were at lost of words.  Mr. Ok looked like he ran out of air.  Across from him, Mr. IM gripped on to his seat.  Yoona stood there, holding her non-existent bump at the time.

            “Do you know what will happen?” Mr. Ok exploded.  His face redden as he a file at his son, containing the contract and ultrasound photos.  “You idiot there is a child.  Look at that!  If you don’t marry Yoona, you’ll disgrace our family, Yoona, and your child.  It was decided that if you don’t marry her, you will lose your share of this company.  Instead your child will have it all.”

            “Who cares about my shares!” Taecyeon fought back, “My child can have them.”

            “Have you considered your respect and placing here in this company?”

            “I can quit!  I’ll find another job.”

            “What makes you think you’ll be hired anywhere?  Everyone will know about this and not want you!”

            “Who said I’ll be in Korea.  I can go back to America and raise my child there.”

            Yoona spoke up in between the two Ok generation men, “Don’t take away our child.”

            The toll and shock of the news was affecting Taecyeon, “I don’t want to be with you!”

WHAM

            A hard object whacked Taecyeon’s jaw that sent him flying to the ground.  For a moment he out.  Then he woke up, lying on his back and touching the sore spot.  Standing above him was Mr. Im, whose fists were clenched.  Desptite the sprinkled white hair and thick rimmed glasses, Mr. Im was quite intimidating. 

            “You defiled my daughter.  Now you must pay the price,” the angry father growled.

            This unfazed Taecyeon as he stood up and walked to the door.

 

            Gyuri walked inside the church and saw that there were staircases leading downstairs.  Based on hunch, she thought that maybe Taecyeon would be there.  She followed her gut and descended to the bottom floor.  Once she was there, there were two hallways.  On her left, she heard feminine giggles and squeals.  The other side was much more quiet.  It was dead.  She knew that to her heart’s sadness that she should go to the right side.

            The path seemed long and tiring, where she tried to a door.  There were a few, but it was difficult to choose with little knowledge.  Her fingers brushed against the wall.  It was like as though she was trying to catch a signal.  Then it stopped when she heard low voices.  It had to be Taecyeon and his friends.

            Nerves wounded themselves up.  Her heart quaked in fear.  Everything that she needed and planned on saying was jumbled.  How could she tell him?  It was too much for her to handle.  It had to be done though.  That being cemented, she brought her hand to the door knob.

            “Boo,” a voice whispered behind her.

            The sudden voice scared her to her wit’s end.  Jumping in shock, Gyuri held both her hands to her heart.  She slowly turned, hoping not to encounter the worse.  Unfortunately, the turn was faster than what she intended.  Now she was face to face with her nightmare.

            Im Yoona.  In a bridal dress.  Marrying her love.

            “I guess you failed my test when I sent you that invitation.  However, I knew that you would come,” that sassy voice snared at the blonde.

 

            The silver door burst open, where Taecyeon was standing there.  His fists were clenched.  Teeth gritted.  He did not want to be here at this point.  Frustrated eyes scanned the room.  Finally he found her.  She was sitting at one of the waiting couches.  There was a look of concern.  She must have heard something.  However, not the whole conversation.  If not, she would not be worried for him. 

            Seeing her distressed boyfriend, Gyuri ran to his side, “Are you okay yobo?”

            Taecyeon’s eyes soften at the sight of her, “Let’s go.”

            That being said, he pulled her away from all of this.  He wanted to be far away as possible.  That was not possible though because they would find him.  Instead he needed to be somewhere that would be safe for Gyuri.  However, safe was not the term.  She needed to be in her comfort zone. 

            Before both of them knew it, they were in his Ferrari.  Gyuri wanted to drive the car.  That was not possible though.  Taecyeon opened her door and made her sit there.  He was going to be in control now.  Despite his fury, Taecyeon kept his eyes on the road.  It was like as though he put all his anger on one object possible. 

            At first Gyuri did not recognize the path.  Minutes later, she figured out they were going her place.  So soon?  Why?  Gyuri did not ask any questions though.  Taecyeon was too quiet.  His eyes were darted.  It was not the right time.  If he made a decision, he had a reason.  He would not change it. 

            Once they arrived at her apartment, Gyuri followed the silent directions.  She pulled out her keys and got them inside.  She pressed the elevator button, even though Taecyeon knew what floor she lived on.  For some reason, she felt like she needed to do this though.  Based on his facial expression, he was trying to crunch up a solution to the mysterious problem from the meeting.  This continued as they went inside the elevator, where it was silent.  Then they walked to her door.  She opened it once again.

            From there, Taecyeon pulled her hand and led her to the couch.  Both sat down and stared at one another.  Gyuri was concerned.  What made her lover like this?  Taecyeon was worried.  How to tell her?  They were like this until Taecyeon opened up his mouth.

            “I’m getting married.”

            Gyuri was shocked, but she thought there would be a solution.  It was only a marriage that was not set in stone.  He was not engaged yet.  He could figure this out.  However, she needed the details, “To who?  Is it Qri?”

            “No.  It’s Yoona.”

            Was it possible that a ton of bricks just landed on her?  She may had not seen any debris around her.  Her mind was now whacked.  “W-why?”

            This was where Taecyeon was eerily quiet.  He would not say something for a minute.  Gyuri let him do this.  Apparently he was scared.

            “S-she’s pregnant.  It’s mine.”

            If she thought earlier that a ton of bricks hit her, this was worse.  Her heart felt like it was pounded relentlessly.  Then someone threw in a black hole so deep, she would never be found.  Before she could say anything more, Taecyeon continued.

            “I won’t marry her though.  I want this child, but I’ll raise him or her.  I want to be with you-”

            “You can’t.”

            “Why?” Taecyeon expected this.

            “I don’t want the child to end up like me.  No father,” she looked at him earnestly.

            “This child won’t be like that.  I will be there for him or her,” Taecyeon grabbed her hands tightly.

            “Like you, I want us to be together.  However, this child needs a proper family with his or her mother and father.  If you’re with me, this child  will know I’m the reason why he or she did not have the family deserved.  I can’t do that a child, when I know those same feelings,” Gyuri revealed her fears.

            “It would be worse if it’s Yoona and me.  I can’t stand her.  How will this be good for my child!” Taecyeon pleaded.

            Gyuri broke down, “You have to leave.  Do this for me.  Promise me that you’ll try your best with Yoona.  Raise your child the best as you can.  I know it’s possible, you’ll be a good father.  Please though, do everything you can for him or her.  Even if that means sacrificing what we have.  Love them with all your heart.”

            This pained him, but he tried to hold her in his arms.  She pushed though, “If you love me… You’ll leave me.  Just fulfill my promise.  Don’t waste it.”

            He knew what feelings she spoke of.  He knew she meant every word.  He knew she would sacrifice this.  However, he tried to hold her again.

            She pushed him again.

            “Leave me right now!” 

            He had to listen to her.  That being said, he left her apartment.  Before he could leave, he looked at her.  She sat there sobbing.

            The moment the door closed, she fell to the ground and cried. 

 

            Yoona glared at the woman who truly held Taecyeon’s heart.  It enraged her that this woman still had that effect.  How was that possible?  Furious, Yoona grabbed her enemy’s wrist and pulled her to the end of the hallway.  The grasp was tight and full of hate.  It hurt Gyuri to feel those thin fingers wrapped around her.  Those nails dug into her smooth milky skin.

            “Why are you here?” Yoona hissed.

            Gyuri was not afraid of this woman, “I need to tell him something.”

            “What that you love him?  Blah blah we all know that.   Are you willing to do that?  Steal the father of my child on my wedding day?  How would you feel every day knowing that you’re a home wrecker?”

            That last word stung Gyuri.  She did not want to be anything close to that.  She did not want to hurt this innocent child.  This child was the reason of her loss, but that was not his or her fault.  It was only the result of two people’s drunk actions. 

            Foot steps were nearby.  Gyuri did not react.  The bride grabbed the blonde into the small room next to them.  Turning on the lights, they were in another prep room.  Gyuri’s eyes were glassy.  Her lips pursed.  She was lost.

            Yoona saw the effect her words had and continued on, “Don’t try to come near Taecyeon.  Don’t touch him.  Don’t talk to him.  Don’t even think about him.  Now Taecyeon and I need to raise our child and give it the best it needs.  What it needs are its parents.  Not a broken life because some bimbo wanted to ruin its life.”

-------

            Ok Joon never thought he would mourn at a wedding.  That was until he heard his favorite grandson, Ok Taecyeon, was going to marry Im Yoona.  He thought that he would finally see his grandson truly happy for life.  It was so close.  However, it was over.  Now a child would have to suffer.

            Before the reception, he walked over to his grandson’s room in the church.  He saw that all the groomsmen were there, trying to cheer the man of the day up.  It was no use.  Nothing would cure these problems.  Not even a child.  The never-ending pain was evident in the man’s eyes.  They were dead. 

            “Taecyeon, may I give you something?” Ok Joon peeped. 

            For the first time, Taecyeon turned away from the mirror and walked to his grandfather.  Seeing that it was important, the groom instructed his men to go outside and fellow guests inside.  They immediately followed.  Once they were alone, Grandpa Joon let out a deep sigh.

            “Taecyeon.  I understand what you’re experiencing.  I may not have it at first hand experience, but it’s terrible.  Please though, try to be on your best today,” the old man put his hand on his grandson’s shoulder.

            “I can only try so much.”

            “Remember about your child.  Don’t treat him or her like your father did.”

            This touched Taecyeon’s heart.  He needed to be a good father.  He could not resent his child.  However, it would not bring his Gyuri back to him.  Before Taecyeon could think of a response, he saw his grandpa give him a velvet box.

            “I was originally going to give this to you when you were ready to propose.   Seeing life’s course though… I still want you to have this.  It’s your grandma’s.  We decided that we wanted you to have this.  For the one you love… However, do what you want with it.”

            “Give it to Jiyoung,” Taecyeon was ridden with guilt.

            “No.  It was meant for the one you truly love the most.  If you’re lucky, you’ll be able to give it.  I hope you’ll have the chance to be with her.  If not, give it to your son.  Maybe he will have luck,” Grandpa Joon insisted, as he shoved the box in Taecyeon’s hands.

            Based on experience, Taecyeon accepted it.  His grandpa would never take it back.  He slowly slipped it inside his suit jacket.  They stood there for a moment, until Taecyeon hugged his grandpa tightly.

BAM

            Hearing that, Taecyeon told his grandpa to stay in the room.  He then ran outside. 

            It was Gyuri.  Next to her was a dropped bowl.  It was not broken.  She was here though.  He needed to talk to her.  He needed to let her know his feelings.  Before he could do anything though, she looked like a caught deer and ran away.

            “Wait!” Taecyeon chased after her.

            Surprisingly for her, she was able to quickly run in her heels.  However, right when she was outside the church, her feet gave in.  She had to stop.  This was not her best idea though, for Taecyeon was able to catch up to her.  Despite the short run, he was huffing and puffing.   Following behind him were his groomsmen.  They were all confused and shocked.

            “Please stay,” Taecyeon bent his knees.

            Even though she intended to leave as far away as possible from him, she could not help but to listen.  She walked closer to him and helped him back up.  Despite what was happening, she did not realize that her hands were around his neck.  Meanwhile his hands were wrapped around his waist.  Everything was so wrong, yet so right.

            “Gyuri, do you want to be together?” Taecyeon looked deep into her eyes.  It was like he was reading her soul.

            This reminded her of her discussion earlier.  She was guilty again.  Then she looked down, “I’m sorry Taecyeon.  I have to leave.”

            She tried to take his hands off of her, but he resisted.  Her mind yelled at her to stay in control.  Her heart was different though.  Filled with emotions, she followed her heart.  She now held him again. 

            “If you have to go, why are you here?”

            Gyuri looked into his eyes too.  They were full of love.  Full of care.  All meant for her.  It could not be though.  He needed to shift them to someone else.  However, she wanted to tell him what she needed to say, “Taecyeon.  I-”

Home wrecker

            Those words echoed in Gyuri’s head.

            “I want to tell you… I love you.  I wanted to tell you this, so you know that I’m not mad you.  I forgive you.  I truly do love you.  Fate is cruel.  I am thankful though.  Thank you for everything.  My love,” Gyuri cried as she reached up to kiss him. 

            It was a long bittersweet kiss.  Taecyeon held her closer.  He never wanted to let go.  Gyuri’s right hand fell down to his chest.   It had a smooth, but slow pulse.  She wished that she could be with him forever.  Both of them that tears strolling down their faces.  Salty watery drops mixed together.  They showed their love, passion, emotions, and so much more through that one kiss.

            Sensing that it was not right to torture him like this, Gyuri pulled away.  Taecyeon was hurt by this, but her eyes told him to follow.  Before she could go, he held her hand.  Gyuri did not resist. 

            He was slow, wishing to prolong this moment.  Instead of frantically searching for the object, he shuffled around to get it.  Then he pulled out a black velvet box.  This shocked the blonde, who had no idea on how to react.  She could only cry more.  Taecyeon saw this.  He wiped a tear.  Then he opened the box.  There sitting was a five carat emerald-shaped diamond on a silver band. 

            “Gyuri please have this.  I was told to give this to the woman I truly love.  That person is you.  You may argue, but you’re my one true love.  I want you to keep this and cherish this.  I don’t deserve this, but please do that for me.  I love you,” Taecyeon pledged his love to her, as he slipped it on her ring finger.

            Touched by this, Gyuri hugged him tightly.  It was all she could do.  Taecyeon pulled her back.  He then pecked her lips. 

            “I love you Gyuri,” Taecyeon whispered.

            “I love you too,” she whispered back. 

            This time, she pulled back.  Then she walked away.  Leaving Taecyeon.  He stood there, watching her.   Then his friends brought him back to the church.  He had to start a new chapter in his life.  Without her.