A Harvard Hoodie

Please Stay

 

 

            Three large mugs of dark roasted Colombian coffee and an English muffin with a hefty serving of strawberry jam did not energize Taecyeon like hoped when he entered the elevator of Gyuri’s apartment building.  As he stretched his arms and loudly yawned, he tried to retract the past few hours’ events that lead to his weariness.  After his discussion with Gyuri, he remembered that they both immediately left.  Separately though.  She was first.  Taecyeon decided to leave Qri with Changmin and Chansung, who were enamored by her.  To him, Qri was a great catch, but not for him.  He apologized for his actions, and she understood.  

            Due to his incredible drunkenness, Jay and Jessica dropped him off.  The car ride was silent, but everyone had the same thoughts.  Once they arrived at his placed, Seungyeon texted him to remind him of tomorrow’s lunch meeting with the investors.  As much as he dreaded this, he had to go in order to be in their good graces.  They always liked him in some way and spent  time with him, that was so they can size him up for future opportunities.  Since he needed to meet Gyuri too, he texted her if he could drop by in the morning.  She agreed.  When he received the confirmation time, he went to bed.  It was not that he was bothered by thoughts.  His heart had beaten so strangely. At one point it was wild.  Then it went at the speed of a tortoise.  Simultaneously his mind throbbed constantly.  By the time his alarm went off, Taecyeon only had an hour of sleep and his eyes were bloodshot. 

            Even though he was going to see Gyuri again, he could not handle it.  He almost dreaded it.  Her words and actions said she did not want him.  Yet the emotions she had were the opposite.  The fact that she wanted him to pick up his stuff confused him.  Their kiss earlier was filled with love.  She wanted him.  Then she pushed him.  What was going on in her mind was a mystery.

            Before he knew it, he was in front of her door.  He took a deep breath and pushed the doorbell button.  Five seconds passed.  They were silent.  He pressed it again.  Then he heard someone yell that she would be there soon.  It was Nicole.  At first, he was saddened.  Did Gyuri really not wish to see him?

            Ten seconds later, the door opened.  There was Nicole standing there.  She had an apron over her outfit with her hair tied up.  Despite her face speckled with flour and coconut shavings, there was the same cheerful grin she had.  After greeting one another, she led Taecyeon into the living room.  She returned to the kitchen.  Apparently, she was finishing her cake. 

            “Gyuri!  Taecyeon is here!”

            Moments later, Gyuri came out of her room and saw him.  Her heart was more emotional the closer she got to him.  She realized that he did not notice her.  He was in deep thought.  His head rested on his hands, while his eyes were glazed.  He was like this for awhile, so Gyuri patted his shoulder.

            The sudden action startled him as he jumped up on the sofa.  Seeing that it was Gyuri, Taecyeon immediately stood up to face her.  Then he awkwardly greeted, “Oh… G-good morning Gyuri.”

            “Morning.  Are you ready to retrieve a few things?”

            Taecyeon sighed, “I guess so.  Let me help you.” 

            “It’s okay.  I’ll bring them to the living room,” Gyuri placed her hand on his arm to stop him.  With that being said, she walked back to her room.  A minute later she carried the first box.  Taecyeon pounced up to grab it, but she stopped him again.

            “Remember your cast,” she pointed to the stone hard bandage.

            “Oh right,” he sighed as he returned back to his seat.  While she was gone again, Taecyeon went through the box.

            Inside there was his extra Sharper Image alarm clock.  Sometimes they would sleep in on the wrong mornings, so the clock came to use.  Underneath it was his extra notebook planner.  At times he would leave it at her place because he would stay at her place for days.  On the side were his running shoes.  During Saturday mornings or weeknights they would hit the gym together.  Just from the first box, Taecyeon realized how much they were in each other’s lives.  Then he spotted his Harvard hoodie.  It was her favorite jacket to wear.

            “I’m back with the second box,” Gyuri said as she entered the living room.  She noticed Taecyeon staring at her favorite jacket.

            “You can keep this,” Taecyeon blurted once he noticed her.

            “It’s fine.”

            “I know you like to wear this everywhere,” he insisted.

            “Don’t worry.  Besides, it reminds me of-”

            “Is it that terrible?”

            “I’m trying to forget-”

            “Do you want to?” Taecyeon boldly asked.

            Gyuri was silent.  Her lips were shut for a few moments.  It was like as though she was holding something in.  Then slightly opened.  It seemed to whisper yes, but she caught herself, “No.”

            Out of nowhere a cleaned up, but frustrated, Nicole marched into the room.  Gone was her grin.  Instead was a pout that was twitching.  She appeared to be muttering something in English, at first it was incoherent.  Later it was Korean.  Soon the two languages mashed and turned into some sort of alien dialect.  Taecyeon and Gyuri watched, not wanting to irate her.

            “At this point,” Nicole pointed to Gyuri, “Better not say no!  At times you do have a terrible memory, but don’t tell me you forgot about last night’s kiss.  Yes Taecyeon, I do know about it.”

            “Nicori,” Gyuri tried to settle her best friend.  However, she received a hand motion to sit on the couch, to which she oddly agreed.  At this point, the sitting duo felt like they were in couple’s therapy. 

            Nicole paced back and forth across the room, muttering to herself.  She stopped right in front of them and turned with one-foot military style.  One deep breath and she commenced the rant, “Where do I start?  Just now I was going to deliver a cake to my mom.  However, I decided you two are more important than a delicious coconut chocolate cake that I woke up early to bake.  Before I stepped out this door, I heard Taecyeon’s question.”

            “Nicole this isn’t necessary,” Gyuri tried to speak up.

            “Gyuri.  Please.  To think I was going to leave you a delicious slice," Nicole crossed her arms.  She then returned to her speech, “Back to where I left off.  Don’t tell you said no cause that is a total fat LIE.  You want each other back.  I know it.  Taecyeon, I’ve already heard about you behaving like a miserable .  Not only that, but you are trying to talk to Gyuri.”

            Then she turned to her roommate’s direction and spoke, “Don’t act like you hate him.  You’re in the same boat as him.  Moping and wishing.  You still want to be with him.  You’ve said this yourself, even when you’re not drunk.  A long time ago I would have stopped you, but I actually support you two together.  Taecyeon is different from the others I can tell.  Yes, he cheated, which is still a mystery.  Taecyeon, you shouldn’t have cheated in the first place.  But you are meant for one another.  It’s weird.  Still, I know you can work through this.  It won’t be easy, but it’s do-able.  By the time you get through it, you’ll be stronger than ever.”

            Gyuri could not help, but to release a sigh, “I don’t want us to end up like my parents.  Once a cheater, always a cheater.”

            “Seriously girl, did you listen to what I just said?” Nicole was irritated.  “Is Taecyeon like your father?”

            “No.”

            “That’s because Taecyeon isn’t any other person to you,” Nicole hoped this would put some sense into her stubborn best friend.  For a moment, she saw the clock was 9:55.  She groaned, “I need to go.  I promised my mom I would meet her at 10.  Can you kids try to sort this out?  Girl, at times you can be as stubborn as a mule”

            With that being said, Nicole rushed to her phone and cake.  Then she made a mas rush to the door.  Once the door closed, Gyuri and Taecyeon were silent while they sat.  Both avoided each other’s looks as they stared at the ground and fiddled around.  Suddenly Taecyeon’s leg stooped shaking.

            “That was the first in a long time I’ve seen her that angry,” Taecyeon awkwardly chuckled.

            “Yeah.  She is rarely like that, but when she is.  She has a good reason,” Gyuri explained.

            “Was she serious though?  Do you want to get back together?  You said yes.”

            “I do, but I’m worried.”

            “It’s understandable.  However, we can work though his.  When you visited me at the hospital.  When you kissed me back last night.  Did you hate me?”

            Gyuri meekly answered, “No.”

            “There is hope for us if we try,” Taecyeon was desperate as he grabbed her hands.  She did not resist.  She held on tighter.

            “It’s going to be difficult,” Gyuri loosened up for the first time in awhile.  Her head slowly turned to him and inched closer.

            Taecyeon then cupped her face, “Please give me a chance.”

            Gyuri shortened the distance between their faces.  Her lips slowly landed on his. 

-------

            An hour Taecyeon and Gyuri laid in bed, covered by the blankets.  Both were breathing soundly, as they were in one another’s arms.  Gyuri nuzzled her nose into his chest, while one of her hands his cast.  Taecyeon ran his fingers though her hair.  What happened seemed surreal.

            “This might sound dumb, but does this mean you’ll give me another chance?” Taecyeon carefully asked.

            Gyuri looked up at him and nodded. 

            “You’re not uncomfortable.  I mean… do you think what we just did was too soon?”

            Hearing this Gyuri giggled, “You talk a lot these days.  Who knows if it was too soon, but let’s just go back to where we were before.  To be honest, we’re going to get there anyways.  However, we’re going to work on our trust again.”

            “Honey, I promise I’ll do my best and earn your trust again,” Taecyeon committed himself.

            “I’m really happy to hear that,” Gyuri smiled.  “By the way, did you bring my things today?”

            “No why?”

            “Did you think something was going to happen today?”

            Taecyeon cheesily grinned, “Who knows maybe.  Maybe not.”

            That being said he proceeded to tickle Gyuri, but then she blurted, “Didn’t you need to go somewhere today?”

            This freaked him out a bit, but he then he took a deep breath, “I’m going to cancel it.”

            “Don’t you need to go,” Gyuri protested.

            Taecyeon then put his finger to her lip, “You’re my number one.”