Waiting

Please Stay

 

            “Losing blood.  Need to get in surgery,” doctors and nurses rushed down the hall pushing the heavily bleeding body.  Everything was so clean, but blurry.  The surroundings were white consisting of grey and teal blobs.  Probably the doctors and nurses in uniform.  Nothing was straight.  Things seemed to be moving around, the world was spinning.  Voices were now becoming less coherent.  Instead all sounds were turning into one large irritating sound that buzzed and rang in the ears.  It was nonstop. 

            Suddenly everything was becoming darker.

            “Losing conscience.”

               Then things started to reappear.

            “Make… everything…needed…surgery…”

            Voices were drowning out and shooting back up.  The distortion slowly turned into a mind-sticking cacophony.

BEEP

            “Hurry…heart…”

BEEP BEEP

            “Start the injection…”

            A needle pricked the skin, but there was no pain.  Despite the wounds and bleeding, only one area was truly broken.  The heart.  Even though now the world was starting to blacken and sounds were becoming mute, the heart was still crushed.  The pain always seemed to linger.

My Gyuri

-------

            “Gyuri!”

            Knowing the keeper of that voice, she turned her head to find him to see if she lost him yet.  However, before she could trace him, she found a speeding car in her direction.  There was a man inside with his eyes towards the road, but not looking at it.  Instead he seemed more focused on his phone call based on his muted yelling and his free hand flailing around in anger.  Even though Gyuri saw this, she could not move.  She really was a deer stuck in head lights.  Her feet would not move.  Jaw hung open.  Eyes opened wide.  She was frozen.  The car was too close.

            She was going to be run over.

            Then she felt something hit her.

            The moment the impact came in contact, her eyes were already closed.

            She hit the ground.

            Her eyes fluttered for a few moments.  It was then she put he hands in front of her face.  No blood.  Just a couple of scratches.  Then she saw a bloody figure behind her hands.  There was blood everywhere.  On the ground.  Soaked though the white collared shirt.  Dripping down his face.  It was Taecyeon.

            “Nooo!  Taecyeon!” Gyuri screamed as she realized this.  Frantic, she crawled to his side as she did not have the energy to stand up.  Once she reached there, she cradled his head in her lap.

            “Why did you push me!  I should had been hit!” she cried.

            People gathered around them and tried to get help.  Roads were blocked.  The driver just shook his head in frustration.

            “Gyuri?” Taecyeon groaned.

            “Shhh… don’t waste your energy,” she tried to nurture him.

            “I’m sorry…I love you,” Taecyeon tried caress her face.  He could barely reach her cheek, as his fingers made bloody against her smooth pearly skin.  Gyuri grabbed his hand and set it down, as she held on to it tightly.  Her other hand touched his face.

            “Haha… I guess it’s okay for me to touch you right now,” Taecyeon coughed while half smiling.

            “Shhh.”

            “I know you’re mad at me, but do you love me?”

            Gyuri nodded her quickly.  Tears streamed down her face.

 

            Hitting the wall with the back of her head, Gyuri slowly slump into her stiff chair.  She looked at the ceiling.  It was blank.  Blank enough to repaint the scenes from earlier.  Frustrated, she threw her face in her hands.  Still she saw Taecyeon’s face.  It tortured her.

            “Gyuri?”

            Very slowly, she lifted her head.   There was Grandpa Joon in his golfing outfit.  He must had been on his way to a game.  Seeing him, Gyuri immediately bowed.

            “Hello Grandpa Joon.”

            Seeing how weak she was, Joon signaled her to sit down with him.  She looked like she would collapse any second, despite her “decent” appearance.  In short and a grey v-neck t-shirt, Gyuri had a few scratches and slightly messy hair.  Still she was just as injured as her love in surgery.  Today was a shock.  They fought.  He confessed.  She almost got hit.  He saved her.  Now he might die.  Because of her.

            “How are the both of you?” Grandpa Joon was worried.

            “I’m not sure to be honest.  He just went into surgery,” Gyuri was guily for having so little information about the situation.

            “Today must had been a rough day.”

            Frustrated she nodded her head.

            “I guess he told you?” Gyuri asked.

            “About?”

            “Eunhyuk and Yoona.  Don’t look shocked that I know, he always tells you everything,” Gyuri said.

            “Yeah, those were not smart moves on my grandsons,” Grandpa Joon shook his head.  Sometimes, he wished that his grandsons’ personal lives would run more smoothly.  Ever since they were boys, they had hardships.  Even though they were from wealthy families, they had emotional turmoil.  Eunhyuk had to deal with being the second-rate son because he was illegitimate.  Taecyeon needed to be the perfect man that his parents wanted him to be.  Now the boys were slowly maturing from their issues, but they were now in love with the same girl.

            “Grandpa, what did Taecyeon mean when he said might?” Gyuri was confused.  She needed an explanation.

            Nervous, Joon tried to think about the appropriate response, “Well-”

            “Where is Taecyeon?” Chansung panicked.

            “Are you okay Gyuri?” Nicole was concern.

            All of their friends rushed out of the elevator and ran to where Gyuri and Grandpa Joon were sitting.  Seeing the respected elderly man, they bowed in respect.  Watching the, Grandpa Joon chuckled that these kids were still respectful even in situations like this.

            A nurse suddenly tapped Gyuri on the shoulder, “Ms. Park?”

            “Yes nurse?”

            “We tested your blood, it is compatible to donate to Mr. Ok,” the nurse handed Gyuri a couple of papers.

            “Thank you,” Gyuri bowed and  looked over the paper quickly.

            “You can donate blood?” Eunjung quizzed.

            “I thought you were AB,” Hara was confused.

            “Yeah Taecyeon is AB too,” Gyuri whispered.  She felt guilty for putting him in this situation.  For just doing something like donating to him her blood would ease a part of her. 

            “Where’s Taecyeon’s parents?” Jay was looking around for them.

            “Don’t worry son.  I called them.  They should be here soon,” Grandpa Joon assured the group.

            As though right on time, the elevator flung open revealing the mysterious Mr. and Mrs. Ok.  Mr. Ok was like Taecyeon, tall and handsome in more casual, but slightly professional look, in dark tan pants and an ivory Brooks Brother sweater.  Mrs. Ok was glamorous in her black pants and cream blouse, she looked like one of the fancy women in a soap opera.  Both were hustling around the floor, worried about their son.  Then they finally spotted Grandpa Joon.

            “Father!”

            “How’s my little boy?  What happened” Mrs. Ok was frazzled.  She almost fainted, but Mr. Ok caught her in time and set her in a chair.

            After fanning herself and somewhat pulling herself together, Mrs. Ok looked around, “Why are all the boys here?  Who are these girls?”          

              This was Gyuri’s first time seeing Taecyeon’s parents, for she knew their dislike of her, but she gathered up the courage.  Nervous, but with standing tall with her confidence, Gyuri bowed to them.

            “Hello Mr. and Mrs. Ok, I am Park Gyuri.”
            Mrs. Ok observed this girl and sneered for a couple of seconds, “So you’re Gyuri?  Taecyeon’s girlfriend.”

            Confused, Gyuri did not know how to respond, “Yes Mrs. Ok I am his girlfriend.”

            “The reason why he’s here-”

            “Minhee” Grandpa Joon sternly scolded her, “That is very rude to say.  Gyuri is not the reason why Taecyeon is here.”

            Miffed, Mr. and Mrs. Ok sat on one side of bench and kept to themselves.

            Everyone else sat and waited.

            What seemed like forever, finally ended when a middle aged finally came to the hallway.

            “Is this everyone for Ok Taecyeon?”

            Everyone stood up and gathered around the doctor.  They were nervous about the results.

            “I’m Dr.  Song Seungheun, the surgeon for this operation.  The procedure went well.  Yes he did break a few bones in his ribs and arm, and much more that I can discuss in my office.  For now, he just needs to relax.  In fact, he just woke up,” Dr. Song calmy explained.

            “Can I see my baby?” Mrs. Ok panicked.

            “Actually Taecyeon requested to see Park Gyuri only.  Is she here right now?” Dr. Song was trying to find her.

            Stepping out from the crowd, Gyuri  bowed, “I’m Park Gyuri.  Thank you Dr. Song for taking care of Taecyeon.”

            “No problem Ms. Park, that is my job.  Let me lead you to his room, he was quite insistent to talk to you.”

            Gyuri walked with Dr. Song to Taecyeon’s room, where much still needed to be resolved.