Conversations

Please Stay

 

            “Aren’t you going to answer?”  Taecyeon’s father, Hyunjae, demanded.  He was slowly losing his cool.  His hand gripped one of the sofa handles with all his might, restraining from fully blowing up.  Minhee, Taecyeon’s mother, saw this and decided to take over the discussion.

            “Son, do you understand how difficult setting up that meeting with Yoona was?  Right now, Yoona is every mother’s dream daughter-in-law.  I wish every night that you bring someone like her home.  Please marry someone like her.  I want to have grandchildren…” his mother turned away.

            “Mom, dad, I can explain,” Maybe not, but maybe it was time to discuss his past with Yoona.  Only his grandpa, close gang, and Gyuri knew about Yubin, but maybe it was time his parents learned too.

            “Is it because of that blonde girl you ran off with,” Hyunjae cut in.  His hand was pale from the tight grip and his face was redder than ever.

            “How do you know about-“ Taecyeon was shocked.

            “Her mother said the date did not go as expected, but your mother received a call from one of her friends who saw you leave the coffee shop with that other girl,” his father glared.

            “How could you leave with someone else right in front of Yoona?  That is like a slap to her face.  That poor girl,” his mother sympathized.

            “Some people who heard or witnessed it bothered your mother about this girl you’re parading and your recent activities,” his father’s voice was slowly getting louder.

            Almost as if on cue, his mother fainted a little, “Mrs. Shim told me the worst one.  She said that her children told her about the various women you bring to your room.  The worst was that her son, Dongwoo, saw probably the same blonde girl from today leave your place.  I’ve even learned that this blonde you’re sleeping with works at a nightclub.”

            Taecyeon tried to cut in, “Mom-”

            “You be quiet when we are talking to you!” Hyunjae roared.

            Minhee continued, “That was not all.  Someone else mentioned that this one was a bar girl or a hooker.  This blew my mind.  If the Im family knew about this, you would have not been allowed near Yoona.”

            Taecyeon was appalled.   Words could not escape his lips.

            Hyunjae could not contain himself, “Son!  How can you be foolishly sleeping around like that?  Sneaking women left and right.  Are you stupid?  Did I raise you like that?  How could do that to us?  Next time, use your upper head.  Not your lower one.  Can’t you see that this blonde is a gold digger!”

            That was it.

            “Don’t you dare say that about Gyuri,” Taecyeon leapt from his seat.  He towered over his parents with fiery eyes.  His fists clenched, “You do not know anything about her.  Do not judge her.  You have no right to.”

            His father chuckled, “So Gyuri is her name… Son, do you really think you know this Gyuri well?  I know women-”

            “She is not everyone,” Taecyeon snapped.

            “Well it does not look well for you, our family, and the company if your girlfriend has a much lower-”

            “She’s not my girlfriend yet.  We are working it out,” Taecyeon interrupted.  Even thought that was not the best comeback to say Gyuri was not his girlfriend, he did not want to lie.  He had to be open and honest.  That was the only way to go forward.

            His father was not going to back down, “I don’t care about its status.  What I care about is your standing in the company.”

            “Why does this matter with Gyuri?”  Taecyeon roared.

            In a matter-of-fact tone, Hyunjae answered, “Did you know the board has been monitoring you?”

            “So?” Taecyeon gulped mentally.  Hopefully they did not find out about Yubin.

            “Well there is word that they are placing Eunhyuk in Legion.”

            Crossing his arms back, with a smug cool look, Taecyeon did not care about that, “So, he’s going to be there.  It’s not going to affect me.”

            “That is where you are wrong.  The board has been thinking about demoting you and make Eunhyuk as the company’s number three.  After me, of course,” Hyunjae announced. 

            “There’s more.  Your heirship might be revoked and passed onto Eunhyuk instead.”  The final bomb drop.

            Minhee tried to provide a solution, as she had her son sit down.  Holding his hand, she advised him in a soothing tone, “This is why we do all of this.  The board is a hawk, monitoring and analyzing your actions.  Everything you do affects you, but also us and the company.  Don’t you care about all the effort we made for you?  The schools, the clothes, the money, everything.  They were so you looked presentable, perfect.  That is why we are trying to set you up in possible marriages with high quality women like Yoona.”

            “You don’t need to be partying and sleazing it up with s like Yuri,” his father retorted.

            Taecyeon clenched his teeth and growled, “She’s not a .  For your info, her name is Gyuri.  If you actually cared and knew me, you would know what I really do.”

            With that being said, Taecyeon stood up and glared at his parents.  As he turned and was about to leave, his father yelled at him, “Ok Taecyeon at least call Yoona to see her again as a sign of sorry.  At least, it will improve your image.”

            His father marched to him and handed the house phone.  Both men stared at the phone.  Then they exchanged harsh eye contact.  Taecyeon predicted the expected.  He grabbed the phone and started dialing, while his father repeated the Im household number.  Placing the phone to his ear, Taecyeon took a deep breath.

RING

            Breathe in.

RING

            Breath out.

            “Hello?”  Taecyeon greeted in a deep voice.

-------

            Gyuri dragged Eunhyuk to the kitchen, which was somewhat private, but it was still audible for those outside.  While being pulled, Eunhyuk was overjoyed that Gyuri was touching him, even thought it was a tight grasp on his wrist.  Anything was good after all, it meant that Gyuri touched him.  He smiled, until they stopped.  Serious face on.  Depsite looking happy a few minutes ago, Gyuri had an irritated expression like she wanted to slap him.  However, he could tell she held it back for now that is.

            Taking a deep sigh, “Lee Hyukjae, seriously what is the matter with you?”  rarely did she call him by his full name.

            “I don’t know why you’re mad at me.  I’m only trying to watch over you.  As one your closest friends and someone who cares for you, I am concerned by your relationship with Taecyeon.  You don’t know him.”

            “I understand him more than you do, “  Gyuri snapped.

            Throwing his hands in the air, Eunhyuk sighed, “I do know more, we are related.  I’ve known him since the day he was born.”

            “You don’t know him.  You know of him.  I don’t want to fight with you, and with that I am sorry for starting this on a bad note.  It’s that I don’t want our friendship affected by my relationship with Taecyeon.

            Our friendship affected by her relationship with Taecyeon.  Those words stung.  They were cuts and stabs to Eunhyuk’s heart.  His eyes blanked.  Even though Gyuri and Taecyeon did not call each other girlfriend or boyfriend, they were considering themselves one.  Eunhyuk could see the love in her eyes.  Not for him.  For Taecyeon.   

            These days Taecyeon appeared different too.

            “Please Hyuk?  I’m sorry for exploding at you, but can we still be friends?  You’re one of my best friends.  I can’t lose you.”

            Best friend, which was he was to her.  Still she couldn’t lose him.  That made his heart flutter.  If Gyuri was happy, he was happy.  As long Taecyeon did not hurt her, Eunhyuk would deal with it. In the end, Eunhyuk would stand next to Gyuri’s side.  He would be her end game.

            “Gyuri it shocked me at first, butI will try.  I’m sorry for being overbearing,” Eunhyuk responded.

            Arms opened wide, Gyuri hugged Eunhyuk tightly.  It made him feel at his top, as he hugged her back.  Then he heard a phone.

-------

            “Hello?”  Taecyeon greeted in a deep voice.  A smile appeared.  A few head nods, laughs, and questions,  Taecyeon talked as his father watched.  Things were going according to plan.  This boy just needed the some guidance to find the right answer.

            “Are you free tomorrow?” Taecyeon asked.  Another smile.  Another head nod.  “That sounds perfect.  See you tomorrow Gorgeous.”

            Taecyeon handed the phone back.

            “Son that wasn’t so bad talking to Yoona”

            “Who said it was her.”

-------

            “Taecyeon?”

            “Yeah,” Gyuri grinned, “We’re having our first date tomorrow night!”