Yubin

Please Stay

 

About One Year Ago

            That night Taecyeon waited for his girlfriend, Kim Yubin, at a bar in Koreatown Los Angeles for three hours.  Hell, he did not even remember the name of the place.  Yubin just texted him the name and time.  They needed to talk.  Was it not like that all the time?

            For the past two years, Taecyeon and Yubin were on-again-off-again.  This time they were on, but on the verge of off.  Both met each other through friends at a party.  The Korean community in Los Angeles was closely-knitted.  Everyone thought they made a good pair.  She was a model.  He was a lawyer.  Both were beautiful and popular.  However, inside they were not so picture perfect.

            Both had fiery possessive personalities that often clashed.  Many guys flirted and wanted Yubin.  She enjoyed the attention.  Taecyeon would not let this slide, so often times they argued.  Then on the other hand, Taecyeon was a desirable bachelor.  Raised from a well-off family, excellent schooling, and fantastic job, he was the guy every girl wanted.  Unfortunately, this caused Yubin to see green and cause drama half the time they were out.  There was also the issue of commitment.

            Taecyeon was not ready for marriage.  Yubin was.  In her mind, so was Taecyeon.  Besides jealousy, commitment was a source of arguments.  She wanted to meet his family.  He did not.  She wanted a ring on her finger.  He did not.  She wanted a house in Bel Air.  He did not.  She wanted three kids.  He did not.  They were at odds about this.

            Maybe this was why she stood him up again.  The night earlier, they fought about why she was not allowed to meet his friends who were visiting from Korea.  His response?  He was not ready yet.  This angered her because she felt like she revealed herself to him, while he cloaked himself in a mystery.  What did he need to get ready for?  Many of her friends were engaged or married within the first year of meeting their guys.  Why weren’t they?  His response?  They were not everyone.

            Then she dropped the bombshell.  Her ex boyfriend, Lee Donghae, wanted to get back together.  Unlike Taecyeon, he was ready to settle down.  The whole works.  Yubin was tired of waiting.  She was ready to accept his proposal.

            When Taecyeon heard this, he just left her house.  They were not over yet.  Yet.  He gave her a week to decide.  Earlier today he received a text.

Stone Parsley. 8 PM.

            She made her choice.

            Once 8 PM arrived, Taecyeon was already at the bar with a vodka in hand.  He knew her decision.  That was why he needed something strong tonight to wash the pain. 

            He was not in love with her.  He just did not like losing.

            After a bottle of vodka and three hours later, Yubin never arrived.  Irritated, Taecyeon decided to confront her.  Why did she not have the courage to tell him?  They needed to end this, and that was only possible by talking to one another.  Once and for all.

            Shockingly, the alcohol did not deter Taecyeon as he sped to her small place.  It was simple, nothing grand like her personality.  The lights were on.  Maybe she was home.

            Taecyeon parked in front of her home and found her spare key underneath a pot.  Too easy to find.  He opened the door.  He looked inside.

            Everything was in place.  Somewhat.  There was an empty wine bottle in her living room with two glasses.  Her ex was probably here.  Instincts kicked in.  He ran upstairs.  Her bedroom door was locked.  He put his ear to the door.  .  He could not take it.  Instantly, he threw her vase against the wall, ran away, and sped away.

            That night he went straight to bed.

            A few hours later, his cellphone rang constantly for what seemed like thirty minutes.  Upset and tired, Taecyeon answered the phone, hoping he could go back to sleep.

            “What?”  He was not a morning person.

            “Dude where were you around midnight?”  It was his friend Jinwoon, a LAPD detective.

            “I was at Yubin’s place.”  News of him and Yubin travelled fast.

            “What happened?”

            “Nothing I left.”  Why was he so curious?

            “Did you know Yubin and this guy were shot dead.  Also her friend, Yoona, is in a coma.  Someone whacked the back of her head.”

            “That’s terrible.”  Taecyeon did not know what else to say.

            “Yeah you’re one of the main suspects.”

            “Wait?  Why?”

            “Everyone knows you and Yubin were having troubles lately.  Ready to break up.  She and the guy were found in her room, half dressed.  The evidence points to you.”

            “It wasn’t me.”

            “That’s what they all say.”

            “You believe me?”

            “It’s hard to say.”

            “You can talk to Yoona-”

            “Didn’t you hear me say she’s in a coma.  I have to go, the chief needs me.  If I am you, I would get someone from your firm to help you right now. “

            This conversation definitely woke him up.  What should he do?  The only solution he had was to leave.  If he did not do it, he was going to be arrested.  It would ruin him.  He called his grandpa, who had to agree.  Even though they knew of his innocence, news like this could ruin one’s reputation.  In both places, reputation was life.

            Later that afternoon, he turned in his resignation and took a plane back to Seoul.

 

            “I should have stayed… I left like a coward… I needed to stick it out… I only look like the one who did it…” Taecyeon cried.

            Gyuri listened as she rubbed his back.  He finally revealed himself.

            “Shh it’s fine,”  he truly was a fighter holding this to himself.

            “Gyuri?”

            “Yeah?”  She whispered.

            “Can you stay tonight?”  His eyes pleaded.

            “I’m always here for you.  I wish you knew this.  I won’t let you down,” Gyuri promised.

            Taecyeon wiped his tears.  His hands were wet, but he caressed her cheeks, “I’m sorry I’ve been like this.  You deserve better.  I wish I could be there for you.  Be the one you count on.  I know how you feel about me.  I do want you, but I only bring trouble.  You don’t deserve me.  You deserve so much better-”

            “Taecyeon, please stop hurting yourself.  I want to be there for you.  There are times when we need to let people in.”  It pained her to see him like this.

            “You know all my life I prayed for someone like you.”

            Gyuri could not believe this.

            Taecyeon pulled Gyuri into his arms and they layed down.  Both were close.  Her head was nuzzled in his chest.  Taecyeon stared at the ceiling, and sometimes would look at her.  She rubbed his chest.  He her hair.  They stayed in each other’s arms and fell asleep.