08. Prelude to Happiness & Heartaches

유리(Yuri) Glass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

08. Prelude to Happiness & Heartaches

(We wait and we hope silently that time is enough to heal the wounds left in vacant hearts)

May 30, 2007

Oh boy, here she comes.

“Happy Birthday Yoon-ah!” Jessica flung herself to Yoona causing to her to take a step back, hugging her as tight as possible. “I can’t believe you’re already eighteen! You’re an adult now!”

Yoona doesn’t know if her best friend has this short term memory just like the cartoon character named Dory or she’s just really clueless in general. Throughout the years of being friends with Jessica, the first thing Yoona had warned her friend is this day should never be celebrated. And yet, here she is getting the grandest hug her best friend could offer.  

“Yah, how many times do I have to tell you that—“Jessica cuts her off breaking the hug, and she looks at Yoona as if she wants to punch and hug her at the same time.

“What, that this day is unlucky because you were born and it’s the day your mother left? Please, if you weren’t born then what would happen to my poor soul? Stop blaming yourself for something you didn’t have an inch of fault at. I’m the happiest person because you were born and I love you and that’s enough reason, period. “

All Yoona could do was sigh at her. Jessica was right (as always). But somehow, the remorse feeling of this day just wouldn’t go away no matter how much she tried to replace it. It’s like this every passing year of her life. She’d learned a long time ago not to miss that person who had left her because clearly, she didn’t want a child, not Yoona. She’d known this reason coming from her prodigal father who was too heartbroken to even look after her.

Jessica nudges her playfully, and fortunately, she hadn’t notice Yoona space out for a moment. “Come on, Yoona. It’s your day. Besides, I heard you bumped into Choi Seunghyun earlier. It must be your lucky day after all” she adds, grinning.

Setting aside her other thoughts, Yoona looked at Jessica clueless, “Choi Seunghyun? Who—“ she pauses thinking of the encounter between her and that boy earlier. A small smile tugs in her lips. So that’s his name, she silently thinks.

Jessica smirks at her, “Oh, don’t tell me you’ve fallen for that boy too.”

Yoona’s smile immediately disappears replaced by a frown, “You mean the new transfer student everyone’s been talking about?”

Jessica nods, “Obviously the boy has both charms and connections, or else every girl in this school wouldn’t be in so much chaos every time he’s in sight.”

Before Yoona could even stop herself she asked, “What do you mean connections?”

“Well, everyone suspects that he’s one of the new school director’s sons. “

“There is another one?”

“That’s the mystery. No one really knows who the other person is. The only two things people know for sure is that he’s been attending here ever since and that they don’t have the same last name which makes it even harder to guess who, and even more interesting to gossip about.”

“So, do you think he is the son of the new director?”

“Probably, I mean—“Jessica pauses, the corners of tugging into a smile. “I knew it! You are interested in Choi Seunghyun”

Yoona opened to say something but it was already too late. Jessica already got the best of her. So instead of protesting, she turned around before her friend can see all of her.

 Choi Seunghyun…

Yoona doesn’t even know why she’s thinking about a stranger. Not to mention a stranger that knew her name, despite Jessica telling her that the boy was a new transfer in their school. She remembers their brief encounter earlier, feeling her embarrassment.

No doubt Jessica was right about the charm the boy had. Choi Seunghyun had the mysterious aura and is exactly the good-looking type of person whom every girl in their school would swoon over.

She just didn’t know yet, she’d be one those girls who’d fall over-heels for him. 

May 30, 2005

  Out of all the days, Yoona couldn't believe her birthday had to be the day she was running late for school. She was almost sure that her friend, Jung Jessica must be throwing a fit right now for being late and missing the whole 'happy birthday cheer' and grand hug she has prepared every year for Yoona, without a  fail. Fortunately, she didn't mind missing it or even the scolding she might get from the teachers because Jessica's greetings annoyed the hell out of her.    Today was supposed to be cursed. A day to be forgotten, or at lea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter