Confessions

Healer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Steel ropes bound themselves around every limb. She was lifted into the air. The woman raised her head, pleading for mercy. She was innocent! She had been framed. No one batted an eyelid at her tearful cries. The steel tightened around her frame, razoring into her wrists, her arms, her ankles, her thighs, her neck until she could not so much as breathe. This was the traitor's punishment in the land. Her last thoughts were of her betrothed. A tear trickled down her cheek. "Begin!" Came the command of the executioner. Biting her lip, she squeezed her eyes shut. Her body shattered. Limbs flailed, splattering blood in all direction.

"No!" Screamed Eunhwa jolting awake. Her whole body was trembling. She clutched her erratic heart and curled into a ball. Again she had dreamt of that woman. Eunhwa shook the memory from her mind.

The door flung open and in scurried Sehun holding a butcher's knife. "What happened?!" Sehun's eyes darted around the room. Finally, he relaxed and stared at her. The girl had the nerve to smile after scaring the life out of him! She smiled despite the despair. He grunted. If she could smile surely she was okay. Rolling his eyes he told her to get some rest. They had a long day ahead.

Purposely ignoring his request she climbed out of bed. "It's time to get up anyway."

Sehun eyed her suspiciously. Only thieves woke up at 3am. It was the prime time for a crime.

He followed her into the kitchen. She stared at the stove where an egg was frying. Her melancholic eyes met his and her lips twitched into a smile. "Breakfast?" She inquired. Sehun nodded. He threw the butcher's knife across the counter. Eunhwa rummaged her dingy cabinets and pulled out the largest sack of cat food Sehun had ever seen. He ogled while she began to fill bowels of cat feed and searched the apartment for signs of cats. Concluding she couldn't possibly have one, he was even more puzzled.

She filled up to five all the way till the brim, loaded them on top of each other. Proceeding to carry the tower she'd built, she headed out of the apartment into the chilly cold in nothing but her light nightgown. Switching off the stove, he trailed down the stairs behind her, bemused. She struggled with herself, her gown and those bowels but somehow made her way down to the ground. A perplexed Sehun followed her into a dark alley where she deconstructed the tower and gathered empty bowels.

He tilted his head in wonder. Did she feed every stray she ran into? Was he at the same level as a cat in her simple mind? Catman? He scoffed at that last one. Perhaps she thought him to be no more complex than a cat. The premise fitted quite well. Why else would a woman keep some strange guy in her home? "Catman," he whispered. Mildly offended, he refused to help her carry those empty bowels back. Swiveling on his heel, he raced back up the spiraling stairs. The warmth of the apartment was welcoming.

Sehun proceeded to have his breakfast a somewhat cooked egg and burnt toast. She lumbered in when he was chugging a glass of water. It tasted awful as expected. Milk was much better but Sehun refused milk that day.

"It's chilly out there," she breathed. Sehun scrunched his nose as she carried the used bowels to the sink where she proceeded to wash them. So gross. He'd used that sink to wash normal dishes used by humans. He pondered what else he was sharing with scrawny, diseased strays.

"Have you made up your mind to feed the world?" His words were dripping with sarcasm.

Eunhwa didn't notice that. She turned to him with sorrow glistening in her eyes. "I only wish I could take them in. The landlord won't let me. It must be awful to be alone out there."

Sehun didn't bother to reply. He was of the opinion that cats were programmed to be strays and did well in the wild. They were hunters and probably hated being domesticated. "Not everyone likes company."

"Maybe not," she mused. "Will you come jogging with me?"

Sehun shook his head. "Not today. I've to get the coal."

"You know, you're kind of like a superhero." She beamed at him.

Sehun flushed. If only she knew.

 

Sehun had been quite proud of his work when he surveyed the mounting bags of coal in the lounge of Banana Entertainment. Upon second inspection he wondered if he'd been too ambitious. The lousy lounge looked excessively tiny hosting the coal mountain. He pondered whether or not to return some bags from where he'd stolen them. However, coal was heavy, stinky too, and it hurt his pride to think he might have been excessive trying to make Eunhwa's wish come true.

All this battled against his logic, that 1) people would ask questions about where he'd gotten it from, and 2) this much coal it would take hours to distribute. The end result would be a good deed. Now Sehun wasn't particularly altruistic, but there was one idiot who got up every morning to lay bowls of cat food into the alley for starving, stray cats. This same girl had recently received a blow too large for her puny brain to handle. Helping others would cheer her up. Sehun rolled his eyes. At least this way he didn't have to feel in debt for mooching off her. He was not a stray. He'd earn his lodging and meals fairly. As far as logic was concerned, well... he was a magnificent liar.

Black Cherry owned him big time. Not only were they doing charity work but there were cameras around the area where their car had parked. Other celebrities were also in the spirit of charity. When Sehun had believed he was a perfect liar for telling Black Cherry and Mr. Kim that the coal came as a donation from a hyung he knew, he had been wrong. The perfect liar was Soobin who blatantly told the media that Black Cherry had spent their own money purchasing coal to make the act of giving more meaningful. Sehun wanted to applaud when he heard that one.

"You should learn from her," Sehun told Eunhwa.

Eunhwa was doing more than her fair share. From the car, she gathered bundles of coal in her little arms because bags were too heavy for her. She trekked around the hilly neighbourhood delivering coal and inquiring about people's health and even changing lightbulbs for old people who simply couldn't reach. She observed other idols giving out their autographs to residents. Not once did she get offended when people told her how lucky she was to be a manager. Whenever she thought no one was looking, she'd stop to massage her arms and grimace. As soon as she registered him or someone else, the customer smile returned and she would be the bubbly Eunhwa everyone knew. Sehun was bothered by this.

Why couldn't she be like her teammates? Soobin had decidedly dominated the cameras and worked only when they were around, publicising Black Cherry and even singing for residents. Jina had shown up in dramatic fashion; oversized sunglasses, a low top paired with a short skirt and stilettos. Her heels didn't suit the steep neighbourhood so she'd left for the car, grumbling how she didn't want to be there anyway. Hyerin had seemingly caught a cold although she'd been fine while she'd been rapping in the car. Mr. Kim, well that guy was useless anyway! He'd complained about sweating too much and had retreated faster than everyone. The only real one sweating was Eunhwa.

Sehun didn't participate as eagerly. He'd thought his job done the moment he'd brought the coal. Distribution, well, that was stupid considering the only things he distributed were drugs and organs. Sehun simply wasn't a charity man. He was an observer.

To make matters worse, Luhan had turn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter