ONE. [ FINAL. ]

TOGETHER WITH YOU. / b.b.h + p.c.y
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Together With You. [ one-shot !¡ ]

Word Count: 21,627

 

--------------------

 

A hand was placed on the car door as the brunet struggles to find the handle, desperately trying to escape from the car. As he felt the rough-shaped object in his hand, he roughly pulls away, the door unlatching itself, a breeze welcoming him.

Slowly, the smaller brings out one foot to the ground, using the heel of his dress shoes to feel the ground beneath him. His hand is tightly gripping the door while another is holding onto his cane, ready to be extended. With slow movements, he carefully places both feet on the floor, lifting himself off the seat as he lowers his head, the feeling of the roof grazing him.

Baekhyun balances himself, a hand on the side of the car, trying to balance himself. Once he finds himself balanced well enough, he takes away his hand from the car and moves a couple of steps away. The cane begins to extend as he unfolds it, the metal feeling cool against his sweaty palms.

He feels a swoosh of air pass by him, notifying him that the car he had traveled in had taken its leave. He didn't even get to thank the kind person who had brought him here. But, the brunet knew that he was just a burden.

Two years ago, on the 28th of November, at 1:00 pm, he lost his eyesight in a violent car accident.

It was a chilly day, a month after the split between him and Chanyeol. He was walking home from the grocery store, an abundant of bags each hanging desperately on his fingers. Everything became still when he crossed the street, lights growing in size as it rapidly drove towards him.

Baekhyun felt as if he was flying, the bags of groceries swaying in the air, fruits and snacks being abandoned on the street with pieces of glass. The car had rammed itself into the brunet, slamming him into the car, his body bloody as half of his body lay inside the windshield. Large pieces of glass pricked his pale white skin, rich red blood oozing out as it stained the gray car. His head hurt greatly and he had no energy to lift himself up a little to see what had happened to the driver. He couldn't open his eyes as he slowly fell unconscious. But, what he heard before falling into a deep slumber, a laugh was heard.

A loud laugh ringing in his ears.

Baekhyun found himself on a bed, a blanket covered on top of him as he was covered with needles and pipes. The sound of the monitor quietly played in the room, a sound that the brunet grew to hate in the passing time. He couldn't open his eyes, the only thing he could envision was darkness. He believed that he had no energy to lift his eyelids, letting it be as he waited for recovery.

It was a drunk driver, the police had said, reporting that the driver suffered minor injuries, but nonetheless was serving prison time for the catastrophe he had caused. The drunk driver had apologized in court, pleading that he had never meant for this to happen. He had sent his sympathy to the brunet, pleading for his forgiveness.

Being the kind-hearted person he is, he forgave him easily.

However, he loses himself after the doctor notifies him about his eyesight.

Baekhyun had become blind due to the extensive blow to the head, caused by the crashing of his body in the windshield. The occipital lobe, the part of the brain that controls vision, was struck heavily when the brunet landed on the car. The doctors had tried their best to reduce the blood and swelling, but some things couldn't be saved in time.

The brunet had no words to say. He lay there in his bed, fingertips grazing his eyelids as he lets the news sink in. How could one drunken accident lead him to lose the most precious thing in life, his eyesight? He felt numb, more numb as he realized that he can never see the world again. Chances of getting healthy corneas were a very slim chance, and the brunet knew that he had no chance.

No matter how hard he tried to fight it off, the darkness in his line of sight had untimely ruled in a victory.

Baekhyun shook his head, not trying to dwell on the past right now. Taking a deep breath, he began to walk forward, the stick constantly tapping the ground as he took each step. If he had his eyesight back, he would know the mansion like the back of his hand.

The smaller would be greeted with a large gate, adorned with modern designs, a security guard standing to the side, expressionless as he questioned sudden guests. He would see a large fountain placed in the middle of the old-victorian pavement, coins placed at the bottom from past made wishes. On each side, there would a freshly cut acre of grassy land, bushes of shrubs lining each side. Baekhyun would always stand in awe whenever he would look at the mansion, the exterior design fascinating him. The butler would then greet him and take his coat, escorting him to Chanyeol and his family.

Now, Baekhyun didn't know anything or see anything.

"Just keep walking straight. Walk straight. The gate should be in the front." He mumbled to himself, waving his stick around as he tried to navigate himself towards the gate. The brunet abruptly stopped when his cane made contact with something hard, something firm. Confused, the smaller taps his cane repeatedly on the object, trying to figure out what exactly it was.

"That's my shoe, Mr.Byun." A gruff voice replied, grabbing the cane softly to stop the persistent tapping. Baekhyun stands shocked when he realizes what he has done, mentally cursing himself for poking at the guard's shoe.

"I'm very sorry." He said, bowing his head slightly as he kept the cane by his side.

"Do you need help, Mr. Byun?" The guard asked as a minute of silence passed, the brunet awkwardly standing by. The brunet shook his head, snorting a bit.

"Why? Is it because I'm blind?" Baekhyun retorted, catching the stern guard off guard. The brunet wanted so badly to see the face the latter was making, but sadly he couldn't. He could only imagine that the once expressionless Mr.Kim would stand there with his mouth open, baffled with the blunt question.

"O-of course not." The guard stammered, the brunet chuckling a little at his tone. Baekhyun shook his hand a little, telling him it was alright.

"It's fine. I don't need help, Mr.Kim. But, thank you for the offer." He sent a small smile at the guard, hoping that he received one back as well. Waving the latter a goodbye, the smaller walked a little to his left before walking forward, his cane once again rubbing against the pavement.

Baekhyun still couldn't believe that he was here at the Park's Family Mansion. He didn't understand why, but one evening, he had received a phone call from the butler saying that Chanyeol's grandmothers birthday was this coming week and she would like to see him there. It shocked the smaller to know that the old lady still knew who he was. Baekhyun was no longer a part of the family after his and Chanyeol's breakup. It was a mutual breakup, but it still hurt him a little as he packed his bags and left what he used to call, home.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun met on a cruise in Hawaii. The brunet had earned a free cruise ticket after being promoted to head manager, an unexpected surprise for the hardworking latter. Baekhyun quickly packed his bags, a big smile on his face as he awaited his journey on the ship.


 

 

 

Baekhyun was sipping a martini as he stood outside, gazing at the view in front of him when someone approached him.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Someone said, startling the brunet as he quickly turned around to see who had spoken.

"You scared me." He replied, turning his back towards the stranger as he stirred his straw around in the glass. Baekhyun peered slightly at the corner of his eyes to see the stranger place his arms on the railing, his gaze focused outside.

"Sorry. It's just that, this is beautiful." He spoke, his voice rough yet smooth, almost like velvet. Baekhyun smiled softly, taking a sip of his martini before placing it on the table beside him.

"Hmm. You're right. But, what is beautiful? You have to specify." Baekhyun finally took the chance to turn his head to the side and look at the stranger beside him, his eyes traveling to the latter's face. He was taller than the brunet and more well-built than himself. His ears were a bit on the large side, lips plump and eyes dancing with light in his dark brown eyes. His skin glowed in the light, cheeks tingling a slight shade of pink as he looked forward. Baekhyun's eye widened when the stranger turned to look at him, a lazy smile on his lips.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." He said, sending a playful wink to the now blushing brunet. Baekhyun quickly faced forward, praying that the darkness of the night masked the evident blush he had on his cheeks.

"Don't flatter yourself." He retorted, the latter chuckling a bit. The laugh made the brunet smile, it was such a soothing sound to hear. Baekhyun didn't know why, but he couldn't seem to move away from the stranger. There was something about him that was pulling him towards his direction.

"You can say everything is beautiful. The stars twinkling in the night sky, the calming blue waves splashing against each other, or even someone in particular." Baekhyun rolled his head back, a laugh escaping from his lips. The latter looked at the brunet in awe, amazed at how beautiful he was. He sounded so beautiful, his words spoken as if it were a lullaby being sung to a baby. Baekhyun faced the stranger, a smile on his lips as the latter did the same.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer."

"Now, you're just using my words." He teased, placing a hand under his chin as he stared at him. Baekhyun didn't feel uncomfortable and he didn't know why. He should have left place awhile ago, but he found himself enjoying the stranger's company.

"So, before you said someone, in particular, was beautiful. May I ask who?" The latter turned his body so he would be facing the smaller now, a hand still cupped under his chin.

"It's someone." He vaguely stated, causing Baekhyun to roll his eyes at the vague answer. The brunet knew who he was talking about, but he couldn't help but play along.

"Let's not state the obvious, giant." Baekhyun sarcastically replied. The latter raised an eyebrow, slightly amused by the said nickname.

"Giant?" He mused, a smirk on his lips.

"Yes, giant. The name suited you since you know, you're fairly on the tall side. I've never seen anyone as tall as you, with your ears and all."

"Is that a compliment?" He asked an amused smile on his lips as the smaller bit his lips in nervously.

"Of course, I wasn't making fun." He quickly replied, hoping that his comment didn't hurt the poor stranger's feelings. It would be dreadful if the latter disliked him for his comment.

"It's okay. Since you called me giant, it is only fair I call you a midget." Baekhyun gasped slightly, a hand shooting up to his heart as he mocked a face of hurt.

"That's slightly offensive if I may say so."

"Really? I thought giant was a tad bit offensive too, but I'm not complaining now, am I?" He retorted, the smaller narrowing his eyes playfully at the taller.

"That's because it isn't as insulting as the word midget. The word giant can be meant as a good thing—you're taller and more huge compared to me. I wouldn't take offense to it."

"Then you shouldn't take offense to being called midget. Like you said, you're smaller compared to me." He tried to say, but Baekhyun shook his head stubbornly.

"I'll have you know, midget is a very insulting word. It makes me self-conscious about my height, even though I already know I'm quite on the short side. Come up with another nickname. I'm sure there are different options to choose from."

"How about dwarf?" He suggested an immediate scowl on the brunet's face. Baekhyun grimaced at the idea, the latter stifling a laugh as he caught the sight of him.

"Okay, the word dwarf is out of the question then." The taller sighed heavily, head deep in thought as he closed his eyes. The brunet raised an eyebrow as he patiently waited, his elbow resting against the railing as he leaned against it. The giant lets out an exasperated sigh a few seconds later, opening his dark brown eyes that drown the brunet in awe.

"I've thought about possible nicknames, but have come up with none." Baekhyun rolled his eyes, baffled that he was still on the nickname topic.

"Are you seriously still thinking about it?" He exclaimed, shaking his head a little as he looked at the giant with an amused smile.

"Of course. It's only fair that I call my new acquaintance with a nickname." He retorted, a smirk making its way on the smallers face.

"Since when did I agree to be your new acquaintance? I don't remember being one, especially to someone who's tall and has large ears." Baekhyun teases, the latter laughing a bit as he scratches the back of his head.

"Well, we are acquaintances now, aren't we? I don't think we have any friends aboard with us, so it's best if we stick together. And, I think we enjoy each other's company so that's a plus."

"Well, you are right. It won't be that bad to enjoy a cruise with a friend. You're not that boring, so you'll suffice."

"Damn, that hurt my pride a tad bit." He sadly said, a pout on his lips as his eyes lowered slightly. Baekhyun mentally cooed at the action, his heart leaping at the cute expression.

"Chanyeol." The latter brought his hand forward, a confused brunet looking down at it as he bit his lips.

"Huh?" Baekhyun asked, tilting his head to the side as he looked at the latter quizzically. The stranger chuckled lightly, retracting his hand back, placing it in his pocket.

"Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol is my name. We didn't introduce our names, so I thought I would go first." The stranger named Chanyeol replies, bringing his hand forward again.

"You're supposed to shake it." Chanyeol teased, a scowl sent his way as Baekhyun stares at him.

"I know, giant."

"Byun Baekhyun." The brunet replies, bringing his hand forth as it slowly reached its ways towards the latter's. Baekhyun's heart began to jump at the skin contact between them, the heat from Chanyeol's hand making him feel all fuzzy.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful person." The smaller chuckles softly, a light shade of pink dusting his cheeks as he looks at the dazed Park.

"So, I was that beautiful someone, right?"

"I don't know, you tell me, Byun." He playfully said. Baekhyun didn't know when, but he found that the space between them had decreased. They stood beside each other, arm's length as they talked to each other.

"What if I said you're more beautiful than the stars and the ocean waves? Would you believe me?"

"I don't know, you tell me, Park." He cheekily replied, a snort escaping from the taller's throat.

"It's a pleasure to spend this weekend with you, Byun Baekhyun." He chuckles, a wide smile etched on his face.

"Likewise, Park Chanyeol."

That night, the newly found acquaintances Baekhyun and Chanyeol found themselves infatuated with each other. They slowly began to draw closer to one other as they discovered each other's story. They chatted past midnight, giggles and jokes being shared between the two. After realizing it was too late to be up this late, both bid farewells to each other, ready to call it a night.

"Goodbye, giant," Baekhyun said, waving a small goodbye.

"Goodbye, midget." The brunet gave him a look of disapproval, a frown on his face.

"Goodbye, my cute midget." He corrected, sending a wink to the amused latter. Baekhyun didn't mind the nickname, as long as it wasn't used by itself. He found the nickname cute in a way and it warmed his heart. Baekhyun didn't want to leave right away, but the yawn that escaped from his lips told him otherwise, so waving one last goodbye, he found himself in his room, snuggling under his covers with a smile on his face as he thought about one person—Park Chanyeol.
 

 


 

"Mr.Byun!" He heard someone yell, footsteps rapidly being heard as they quickened by every second. Baekhyun grew frantic as he didn't know the person or what to do when that person arrived. Someone gently tapped his shoulder, causing the brunet to yelp in surprise. He moved away a couple steps back, lips formed into a frown.

"Who is this?" Baekhyun warily asked, his cane ready to attack at any given time.

"It's is me, Mr.Byun. It is Butler Lee at your service." Baekhyun lowered his cane, an embarrassed smile on his lips. The brunet knew that the voice sounded familiar, but he thought that for everybody.

"Oh, Butler Lee, I'm so sorry. I couldn't recognize your voice." He replied, lowering his head as a sign he was sorry. The old man laughed it off, saying it was alright. The Butler has a sad smile on his lips as he stared at the cane, knowing very well that Baekhyun was blind, yet he didn't know why. He wanted to ask, but he didn't want to intrude or make the brunet reminisce about the sudden incident.

"I'm blind, Butler Lee." He blankly said, a sad smile on his lips. The old man nodded his head slowly, sadden by the fact that a young boy like him lost the most precious gift.

"I know."

"I look weird with a cane and all, don't I?" He laughed sadly, his stomach twisting in pain as he laughed at his own pain. Being blind was something he never thought would occur or even happen in his life. It was an unexpected turn for him. It just came to him without any explanation or any chance to turn away.

"No, Mr.Byun, you do not look weird." The old man honestly said, his hands enclosed together as he sets it behind his back.

"You've always been so kind to me, Butler Lee. I'm very grateful." He said a warm smile etched on the latter's face. The old man felt sorry for the youngster and prayed silently that the brunet overcame the obstacles that he faced latter in life. He hoped he would make it through with any pain.

"Could you guide me inside the mansion? I can't really see where I'm going, considering I'm blind and all. So would you mind if you escorted me inside?" He politely asked, shifting his cane side to side.

"Of course I wouldn't mind." The old man reached forward the grab Baekhyun's hand, placing it gently on his forearm before signaling him that they were about to walk. With cautious steps, the brunet followed slowly beside the Butler, tripping ever so slightly on the cracks placed beneath him on the pavement. He felt utterly useless as he walked into the mansion.

Even though he had lost his sight, he still had his other senses. He could smell the mouth-watering aroma of the food, waiting to be eaten as it sat on a table. He could hear the soft music playing in the background while people chattered away, making conversation with the guests. He also knew, as he walked in, that dozen pairs of eyes were wearily looking at him as the Butler directed him to his seat. He could hear murmurs of pity and disgust as he followed the old man, his heart sinking a bit.

He wanted so badly to say something—to tell them to stop talking about him being sightless. But, he couldn't. He was a hopeless case, a pitiful fool that was just blind.

He felt the latter stop, a sign that he had arrived at his seat. He felt the Butler guide him towards his seat, lightly pushing him down so he didn't trip. Baekhyun smiled gingerly, patting the latter's hand as a sign of gratitude.

"Thank you, Butler Lee."

"You're very welcome, Mr.Byun. Would you like me to bring you anything, any drinks or—"

"You've done enough, Butler Lee. I don't want to bother you any further." The brunet responded, his eyes flickering up in hopes that he was looking at the latter in front of him.

"Very well. I will take my leave. If you need me, just ask anyone nearby." He said before the brunet heard retreating footsteps, letting him know that he was all alone. Baekhyun sighed heavily, his heart heavy as he played with his stick, opening and closing it as he wasted time. He didn't know what to do. He wanted to make conversation with the people nearby, but he didn't know them or what to even talk about.

Being blind was something that Baekhyun grew to deal with. At the beginning of the first stages, he didn't believe he was blind. He didn't believe that he could never see the world again, the colors displayed in front of him, the stars in the sky, or even the white swirls of cream in his coffee. He didn't believe it one bit. It was hard for him to cope with it. He had stayed in his bed, refusing to leave the comfort of his sheets. He had lost his job due to his denial of being blind, and during that time, he was blind and jobless.

It took a lot of convincing from his best friend, Do Kyungsoo, to get the smaller up and going. Baekhyun was miserable, but after his best friend comforted him, he grew to just deal with his blindness. Kyungsoo and his boyfriend, Jongin, helped the brunet through it all, helping him as he tried to accomplish day to day tasks. They had reshaped anything or threw away items that would be hazardous towards Baekhyun as he functioned around his apartment.

Baekhyun owed it all to Kyungsoo and Jongin for helping him get through this painful phase of his. Without them, he wouldn't be here, sitting down in his suit, in a glamorous mansion while he tried to fit in.
 

 


 

Baekhyun spreads his hands out, trying desperately to find awareness in his surroundings. Kyungsoo had left a voice reminder on the smaller's house phone, telling him that he wouldn't be present in the morning to aid him. Jongin had left to do a photo shoot but would be back with the doe-eyed boy at half past 11.

The brunet puffed his cheeks before slowly and cautiously rolling out of the bed, his hands roaming around to make sure he didn't fall at the edge of the bed.

As he rolled out of his bed, the smaller plopped his cold feet into his snug house slippers, the warmth making him whine in content. Baekhyun walked forward, his hands freely roaming until he felt the door underneath his fingertips. With a small grunt, he pulled the door open, careful to not fly away with it.

With cautious steps, the brunet grabbed onto the walls, moving slowly as he tried to make it to the phone. He had forgotten already where Kyungsoo had put the food and he was extremely hungry, his stomach growling loudly.

"You'll get your food soon. Let's just find it's location first." He murmured, patting his stomach lightly as if it was a person. Baekhyun knew where the phone was, but he didn't know how to get there without tripping on the cable wires attached to the extension cord or even bumping into a chair.

He had a couple of bruises that were displayed variously on his legs and hips, those parts being injured the most. Baekhyun knew that it would take more than a couple of months to somewhat be good at navigating himself without any aid. But, it was so difficult for him. In the back of his head, a small voice would whisper to him, telling him that he would never be like the rest of the world, walking down the streets like a normal person.

The smaller would cry himself to sleep frequently, the darkness scaring him as he lay awake. He wanted to see the world again in its full entirety, but he was filled with an empty view. He could only imagine what he would see in the tiny head of his, but that wouldn't suffice. The descriptions given to him by Kyungsoo and Jongin were also not enough to make him forget that he was sightless.

He would sometimes wish for Chanyeol to be with him. He would cry to himself, whispering the name of his ex-lover, wishing that he was there beside him. He believed that having Chanyeol beside him would help him cope with his misfortune, but he knew he wasn't thinking rationally.

They broke up for a reason: time. They didn't have enough time for each other. Chanyeol would always be at work at his company, arriving home at ungodly hours frequently. Whenever the taller would have a break from work, he would have to go to work to finish up deadlines. They barely saw each other, the weekends not doing them much justice.

It was a mutual breakup between both parties, but it broke the brunet's heart a little as he was no longer known as Chanyeol's cute midget.

He missed him, so much. But, he knew that they made the right decision to pull away. It was sad, but he knew Chanyeol was happy.

", stop thinking about him. Find the goddamn phone, Baekhyun." He scolded himself, a frown on his lips. He needed to find the phone, that was it. All he needed to do was to listen to Kyungsoo's soothing voice and find the breakfast that was prepared for him.

Baekhyun becomes slightly bold and decides to take a big step towards what he hoped was the house phone. His feet made contact with the small table, a yelp escaping from his lips.

"Ugh...I found it." He groaned in slight pain, lowering his hand as he tended to his injury. He waved his hands in a small victory, happy that he had found it without anyone's guidance. But, he knew that it wasn't really a victory because Kyungsoo had taught him how to get there from his bedroom, so the celebration was cut short.

He grabbed ahold of the table as he wobbled to stand up, the tiny injury making him whimper in displeasure. Baekhyun knew by heart which button on the phone would turn on the voicemails aloud. With quick fingers, his fingers felt the plastic box in his hand before he felt multiple buttons, all ranging from big to small. Feeling each button, he smiles in glee when he finds the button, a small triangle engraved in the middle.

"You have 25 old messages—"

" yes!" He yelled, his voice echoing in the empty apartment. He's done this before many times, but with Jongin beside him, telling him which button his finger was currently on. He felt good knowing that he found the button all by himself without any assistance.

"Message from Friday at 9:30 AM — Hey Baek, it's Soo. Listen, Jongin and I won't be here to help you because I have to finish some paperwork at the firm and Jongin has a photo shoot. Breakfast has been made for you, which has been left on the kitchen island, eight big steps from your bedroom or six big steps from the phone. We'll see you at 11, love you, Baek."

Baekhyun smiled tenderly at his best friends voice, his heartwarming. He was glad he met Kyungsoo at the law firm they both worked at. Kyungsoo was a tough nut to crack, especially for his dear Jongin. The brunet found it hard to get a word out of the doe-eyed male. He would always be cold towards him and his co-workers, hiding behind his desk as he typed away.

One day, Baekhyun had enough of his rude remarks and constant hiding. Without much talk, the brunet dragged Kyungsoo out of his desk, threw him his jacket and shoved him into his car. Kyungsoo was shocked at the act, his mouth opened as he stared at his frustrated co-worker.

"Listen here, Do Kyungsoo. I've been trying really hard to become your friend and you're making it very difficult for me to do so. I don't like your cold attitude towards me and I would like if you stop running away from. You're new here, I'm new here, so it's best we be acquaintances. I won't take a ing no for an answer." The brunet had spat, his hands gripping the steering wheel as he drove away.

Kyungsoo stifled a laugh, causing the smaller to stare at him in confusion. The doe-eyed couldn't hold it in any longer, his hands clutching his stomach as he doubled over a fit of laughter.

"What the is so funny? This is a serious conversation, not something to laugh about." He exclaimed, the car stopping as it stood in front of a seafood restaurant.

"Oh..my god! This is the funniest I've heard all day!" He laughed, his cheeks squishing together as he laughed loudly. Kyungsoo lifted his fingers, wiping the tears leaking from his eyes. 

"I'm so confused." The brunet murmured to himself, scratching the back of his neck as he tried to understand what the hell was going on with the person next to him.

"We can be friends alright, but all you had to do was ask." He replied, his laughs dying down as he turned his head to look at the shocked brunet.

"Are you ing kidding me?! I asked you so many times, but you would always use your ty attitude towards me." He yelled, his head spinning as he heard what the doe-eyed boy said.

"You didn't ask me. You would always approach me and ask how I was doing. You would blabber like an idiot on stupid , and I found it annoying. So, that wasn't really asking." He shrugged his shoulders, his hand reaching into his pocket to retrieve his phone.

"That is absolute bull! You are to blame too! You always avoid talking to us, even on the first day. You have some fault too." He scolded, his hands massaging his temples as he tried to delay his upcoming headache.

Kyungsoo sighed heavily, his hand shutting off his phone as he looked at the time. "Yes, I admit I have some part to blame. But, I'm always like that with everyone. That's how I am, cold and distant. I choose to be that way because people can be deceiving and manipulative at times, so I try to steer clear. People can be nice at first, but they can be two-faced after they befriend you."

Baekhyun nodded his head slowly, finally understanding why he was like this. He was right in a way. People come out all nice at first, but after a while, their true colors begin to show and that makes the smaller sad because Kyungsoo believed he was one of them.

"I won't be one of those manipulative es that you steer clear off. I am one hundred percent genuine at first glance. You can ask anyone at the firm." He gently said, retracting his seatbelt from himself, twisting his body to face him.

Kyungsoo chuckles a little, his eyes forming small crescents. "I can tell. I've never seen anyone as hell-bent as you to befriend me. You're the first to do so." Baekhyun fists the air in victory, happy that he was first.

"So, in honor of our friendship, let's eat some seafood. I'm ing starving and I'm pretty sure you are too."

"You are so right. Huh, I'm kind of glad you're my friend right now. Free food and a ride, this is amazing." Before the brunet could answer in denial, the doe-eyed boy dashes out of the car, a smile on his face.

"Nice to meet you, Do Kyungsoo." Baekhyun murmured to himself, a small smile etched on his face.

Baekhyun smiles lovingly at the memory as he holds himself with a hand on the wall. The brunet scrunches his brows together, forgetting what he came out of his bed for.

"Oh, breakfast. Okay, it was six big steps from the phone. I can do this." He said to himself, patting himself on the shoulder as he positioned his feet. Once his back hit the wall, he knew he was facing the kitchen island. All he needed to do was walk a few steps until his foot hit the legs of the stool.

After counting down, the brunet begins to take big steps, each being counted out loud. "One, two, three—" Baekhyun yelped loudly when his phone began to ring, the song blaring angrily as he tried to calm down his jumping heart.

" my life." He said as he let out deep breaths.

Baekhyun groaned in frustration, his fingers tangled in his locks as he tugs at them vigorously. "Stupid phone, now I forgot how many steps I took." He stomps his foot in a childlike manner, a string of curse words following suit. With a heavy heart, he decides to walk until he feels his feet hits the stool.

Baekhyun drags his feet across the wood floor, slowly making his way to his probably cold breakfast. As he walks forward cautiously, he feels his toes hit something hard, his balance in danger as he desperately tries to hold onto something.

The brunet shoots his arm out quickly in front of him, grabbing what he hoped was the table ledge. Baekhyun falls on to the floor, his head colliding on the edge of the stool while the object he grabbed followed him, landing on himself. The plate falls on the floor, crashing into tiny pieces as he feels them fall near his body.

He grabbed onto the breakfast, the breakfast that Kyungsoo, his best friend, took time in making for him to eat. A sob escapes from his lips, his eyes watering due to his failure. He had one job to do, and he ed it up. Something wet trickles down his shirt as it sticks to his back, the smell of something sweet filling the air.

With a heavy heart, Baekhyun decides to get up. The brunet places both hands on the floor, hoping to lift himself and take a shower to relieve himself from the stickiness on his body. As he tries to get up, his hands slip on the wet substance, his body crashing down again for the second time. His head collides with the hard floor, another sob escaping from his lips.

Baekhyun lays there, all sticky as he cries his heart out. Why couldn't anything go right for him? Why couldn't he do such a simple task that was given to him?

"Why did I have to be blind?! Why do you have to be so cruel god?!" He croaked out, his hand slamming against the floor as he sobbed vigorously.

"Baekhyun? Baekhyun?" He heard Kyungsoo say as the door unlocks. The brunet hears a gasp from behind, sounds of bags dropping to the floor.

"Baekhyun, oh my god!" Kyungsoo yells as he dashes towards the helpless smaller on the floor, covered in his breakfast. Endless waves of tears seep out of the brunet's eyes as he lays on the group helplessly.

Jongin rushes forward, crouching down to lift up his boyfriend's best friend. Baekhyun clutches onto Kyungsoo, his head attached to the crook of his neck. Kyungsoo pats his best friends back, drawing soothing circles as he tries to calm down the crying brunet.

"I don't want to live anymore! I can't take it anymore!" Baekhyun cries out as he holds onto Kyungsoo tightly. Kyungsoo begins to cry at how helpless his best friend looked, his boyfriend rubbing his neck as he comforts Baekhyun.

"Don't say that, Baek." Jongin softly says as he moves away from the pieces of the broken plate. Kyungsoo lifts up the brunet, hands placed on both sides of his face.

"Baekhyun, it's okay. You're bound to make mistakes. Don't pull yourself down." Kyungsoo sobbed as he wiped the brunet's tears. Baekhyun shook his head harshly as he cried endlessly. He didn't want to live anymore. He didn't want to be blind. He didn't want to be like this. He just wanted to be normal like the rest of the world.

"You don't ing understand cause you're not blind! You don't have to go through the struggle of hitting into every single goddamn item in this house. You don't have to worry about where everything is because you guys are not ing blind!" Baekhyun spats, hands enclosed in fists as he slams it against Kyungsoo's chest.

"Baek—" Kyungsoo tries to speak, but the brunet knows better and stops him from continuing any further.

"I don't want your pity, Kyungsoo. I don't need that ."

Kyungsoo bites his lips in frustration before removing his hands from Baekhyun's face. He grips the collar of Baekhyun's shirt instead and pulls him close until the latter feels his breath across his face.

"Listen here, Byun Baekhyun. We know you're blind, we got that, but it's not the end of the ing world. So who cares if you're blind, is it stopping you from doing things you want to do?"

Baekhyun tries to respond, but Kyungsoo silences him with a flick on the forehead. "Don't tell me it is because frankly, it isn't. You're stopping yourself from doing the things you want, not because you're blind. You use your blindness as an excuse, to prevent you from doing things. Pull your head out of your ing and try to be normal again. Jongin and I are here to help, but if you keep pushing us away, then you can kiss us goodbye because we don't want to help someone who doesn't appreciate the help they get."

Baekhyun looks up at Kyungsoo, his hands rested against his best friends chest. Jongin takes a glance at his boyfriend and gives him a small smile, a reassuring pat given on his hand.

"I-I'm sorry. I-I didn't realize what I was d-doing. P-please don't be m-mad." Baekhyun hiccuped, his eyes red and puffy as he holds onto Kyungsoo tightly. Kyungsoo scoffs lightly, a small smile on his face as he wipes away the tears on the latter's face.

"I can never be mad at you, Baekhyun. You're my best friend, for crying out loud. I just don't like how you push yourself down and give up so easily. I know it's not easy being blind, but you have to try in order to make it easier. We're here to guide you, but one day, you need to be able to guide yourself. Believe in yourself, Byun, because only you can do so."

"Now let's get you cleaned up and have breakfast outside today. Home cooked breakfasts are kind of boring to eat now." Jongin says as he gets a paper towel, wiping the brunet's hands-free of maple syrup. Baekhyun nods his head slowly, a small smile on his face.

"Thank you Kyungsoo and Jongin for being there for me."

"We love you Baekhyun, always remember that," Jongin says, placing a kiss on the top of the smaller's head. Kyungsoo smiles warmly at the gesture and quickly pulls them together, engulfing them with a big hug.

"Soo, you're going to be covered in syrup!" 


 

 

 

"Oh my, is that you, Baekhyun?" The brunet stilled at the voice, his palms growing sweaty as he heard footsteps approach him. He closed his cane, placing it gently on his lap as he patiently waited for the old lady to approach him.

"Oh, Baekhyun dear, you made it!" She cheered, her voice making the brunet smile warmly. Gripping onto the chair, he lifted himself up to show respect to Chanyeol's grandmother. Hoping he was facing her, he bowed respectfully, hands placed on his knees.

"It's been so long, my dear. How have you've been?" Baekhyun chuckled softly before lifting his head up, his bangs that once covered his eyes, now parted to the side.

His eyes flickered upward, a small smile on his lips.

"I'm blind now." He hears a heartbreaking gasp, a hand grabbing his own as the latter tries to grasp onto the sudden information.

"W-what?" She stuttered, her eyes wide in shock. Her eyes flickered towards his own, the grayness in his eyes making her heart churn in sadness.

"I can't see anymore, Grandma Park. Sad, isn't it? I'm no longer normal like the rest of the world." He said dryly, hands stuffed in his pockets as he moved the heels of his dress shoes. She hushes him quickly, a light smack on his hand.

"Don't say such things, Baekhyun. You are normal, don't think otherwise." She scolded lightly. She grabbed ahold of the brunet and sat him down, pushing it down to prevent him from standing up.

"Sit down dear, these people here are cruel when it comes to pushing and shoving. Hell, I don't even know half these people. Thank my son for sending invitations to his friends."

Baekhyun snorted lightly, a smile immediately present on her face. "If I may ask, how did it happen? You being blind that is." She questioned before dragging a chair and sitting beside him, her hand still placed on his. The people around her have the brunet a distasteful look and with one glare from the old lady, everyone plastered a fake smile, bowing their heads shamefully.

"People are such s." She whispered colorfully. Baekhyun chuckled softly at her quite colorful sentence.

Chanyeol's grandmother was nothing of what he expected. He expected that she be an old and cranky grandmother, steering clear of any guys that tried to start a relationship with her only beloved grandson. What he didn't expect was for him to be accepted with open arms, constant phone calls and visits being shared by each other frequently.

She was a gentlewoman, heart filled with love and happiness. She never once treated him wrong but rather treated him as if the brunet was part of the Park Family. Chanyeol would always gush about his dear old grandmother, the only person he is trusted with all his secrets.

Together with Chanyeol, Grandma Park was his favorite.

"It was a car accident." He quietly said, fingers entangled together as he had nothing else to do. He closes his eyes, trying to shake away the memories of the fatal trauma imprinted in the back of his head.

Stay away from me.

Grandma Park hums sadly as she looks at her grandson's ex-boyfriend. It was sad for a joyous boy like him to suffer like this. She never expected for this to happen to such a wonderful person, but she couldn't do anything about it. It was a shock to her, knowing that Baekhyun had lost his eyesight.

He wouldn't see how she had dyed pieces of hair black, contrasting with her gray hair.

He wouldn't see that she had worn a dress for the first time in 23 years, something the brunet would always pressure her on.

He wouldn't get to see anything, not even her dear grandson. Releasing a deep breath, she stopped herself from crying, telling herself that today was a jubilant day to celebrate her 67th birthday.

"Grandma, would you mind if you took me to see Mr. & Mrs. Park? I wanted to greet them, but I didn't know who to ask for assistance." Without any word, the latter hooked her arm with the brunet's, catching him off guard as she trailed forward.

Baekhyun felt people bumping into him even after he would softly yell out a polite excuse me. But still, it wouldn't do much as he would constantly bump shoulders with the people nearby.

He didn't fit in, but where was he supposed to go?

Kyungsoo was on a date with Jongin, their 2nd anniversary being celebrated. He didn't want to be selfish and ruin their date. He wanted them to have some time to themselves instead of helping him clean the mess he would make in the house. He could call for a taxi, but who was he kidding, he didn't even know how to get to the main gate by himself. He could ask for help, but he knew Grandma Park would search for him.

He loved her with all his heart, so if attending a party with a few hundred guests present for her birthday was something she did, he would attend for her sake. But, there was one other reason that he weighed heavily before coming here.

His ex-boyfriend, Park Chanyeol.

Baekhyun didn't want to come here because of him. He didn't want to be near him or even in the same room as him. He didn't know what would happen if he and Chanyeol met after two years. Baekhyun might fall in love with him again at just hearing his rough voice. The brunet wouldn't be able to control himself, but he had to think rationally. He couldn't hold onto Chanyeol, he had to stop his heart from beating rapidly at the mention of the giant.

He knew deep in his heart that Chanyeol was happy. Even if he didn't hear it, he knew that he was happy with someone. Knowing Chanyeol, he would blame himself for his blindness. He would put all the blame on himself, weighing himself down. He wouldn't let the taller do that. He wouldn't let him see him like this and let it ruin his happiness. Even if the brunet's heart shattered into pieces, he wouldn't let himself be seen.

"Byun Baekhyun, is that you?" He heard a female voice speak, a light bulb flickering in his head as he matched the voice to the person. Holding onto the old lady, he bowed his head in respect, a smile on his lips.

"Yes, Mrs.Park. It's me, Baekhyun." Without much warning, she dashed forward to give him a hug, his hair as he lay his head on her shoulder. Baekhyun holds the latter with both his hands as he receives a tight squeeze from her.

"Where have you been? You haven't once contacted me or the others, as a fact. What has been so important that you forget to call your family?" She scolds, releasing him from her grasp.

"Young-mi—"

"It's alright, Grandma. She doesn't know." The old lady tries to intervene, but he shakes his head to let her know it was alright.

"Know what?" She asked, confusion evident in her voice. With shaky fingers, the brunet sweeps his brown locks to the side, his face full in view. A nervous smile plastered on his face, he lifts his eyes up to show what he had meant.

"B-Baekhyun? H-How?" She quivered, a hand over as she looked at him closely. Baekhyun didn't want to speak, his words caught in his throat. He was glad when Grandma Park saves him, sadly explaining how he had lost his previous brown eyes. She hugged to boy tightly, his head softly as she whispered sweet words in his ear.

"It's okay, Mrs.Park. I've gotten used to not being able to see. It's been a struggle, but I've dealt to cope with the help of my best friends." He whispered, rubbing her back to stop her from crying uncontrollably. She nodded her head before lifting herself up, but instead, she cradled the brunet's face in between her hands and smiled warmly.

"You're a strong boy, Baekhyun. I know you can overcome anything that strikes as an obstacle in your way. That's why I adore you, dear. You never cease to amaze me." She softly said, her thumbs lingering around his eyes.

"You still look handsome as ever, Baekhyun." The brunet blushed slightly, a chuckle being heard from in front of him. The latter patted his cheek adoringly before placing a motherly kiss on his cheek, laughing slightly when she saw her lipstick imprinted on his cheek.

"Is there lipstick on my cheek?" He asked, his fingers gently touching the side of his cheek that was kissed. He feels the sticky product on the pad of his fingers and smiles.

"Sorry Baekhyun, my lipstick never stays on my lips, even when it claims it's transfer proof. Stupid lies." Using her fingers, she gently wipes away her imprinted lips, the lipstick smudging as it created a red hue on his cheek.

"Where is Mr.Park?" Baekhyun asks, a sigh being heard from nearby. He can't put a finger on who did it, but he assumed it was either Grandma Park or Mrs.Park. "Don't even get me started on that man. Always talking business, chattering away about stocks."

"That son of mine is something else, business this, business that. Not one word relates to anything besides money. I ought to smack his head with my wooden spoon." Baekhyun chuckled loudly, the two ladies cooing at his beautiful laughter.

They truly missed his presence after he had broken up with Chanyeol. When they had received word about the split, the giant's mother and grandmother were devastated by the news. He was like a ray of sunlight in the Park residence, always bringing smiles on their faces. After he left, his lingering aroma and happiness faded away, the house feeling dead again.

"Mom, have you seen Chanyeol?" Baekhyun visibly paled at the mention of his ex-lovers name, his hands clutching his trousers due to fear. Chanyeol's mother witnessed this, a saddened look on her face as she faced her eldest daughter, Park Yoora.

"No dear, I haven't." The eldest sighed loudly, muttering a few words under her breath. She paused when she saw Baekhyun in front of her, a smile on her lips.

"Hey, Baekhyun. Long time, no see." She cheerily said. Baekhyun nodded his head as he lifted it up, showing her a small smile. Yoora's smile faltered slightly when she saw his eyes and right away she knew that something wasn't right.

She scanned his appearance, confused as to why his eyes were like that. Her questions were answered when she saw him carrying a bright red cane by his side, the puzzle pieces in her head coming together.

He was blind.

Her brother's ex-boyfriend was blind.

Not wanting to sadden the mood, she approached him and gave him a light peck on the cheek, something that all women in the Park household were accustomed to do. She felt his lips curving into a smile, her heartwarming as she whispered in his ear.

"I've missed you, Baekhyun. Everybody does, including my brother." The brunet's heart began to jump as the words she said registered in his brain.

What?

Chanyeol missed him? His ex-lover missed him?

Baekhyun knew that he missed the giant, but he didn't think that he would be missed by him. He didn't expect this to happen. He imagined that Chanyeol would've missed him for a few days after their split, but would've stopped after he got himself a boyfriend.

Chanyeol was happy, he knew it. Baekhyun may be blind, but he could still find out things without using his eyes. He's heard so many stories of Chanyeol dating a close friend of his, someone he grew up with. It was too good to be true, but after the endless news announcements he heard on the same topic, he was bound to accept the news.

So, the question was, why was he still hung over with him?

Was Yoora lying to him?

Baekhyun shook his head timidly, not belie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter