First

Cut Your Teeth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Would you like some tea?”

 

“Sure.”

 

A light bulb flickers.

 

Profanities are etched into the wooden table where Jennie sits. Her leg shakes anxiously underneath as she waits for the young woman to return from the kitchen.

 

The restaurant is empty aside from the two of them. Jennie’s resume sits atop a scratch pad on the table.

 

She pours a cup for Jennie before sitting down and pouring herself one as well. Jennie takes a slow sip, savouring the bouquet of flavors on her tongue.

 

“This tastes delicious, Jisoo. Thank you.”

 

“I’m glad, it’s my own blend.” She smiles, and it brightens her whole face.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, it’s kind of my hobby.” The older girl drinks delicately, taking a long pause before looking at Jennie again. “I’ll speak frankly now, if that’s alright. We’re across the street from a hostess bar so we get a lot of drunks. The last part timer couldn’t handle it and quit.”

 

“Well, I have a black belt in judo so that doesn’t scare me.”

 

“You do?”

 

“No, but I really need this job so I wanted to sound capable.”

 

Jisoo stares at her for a moment before laughing.

 

“Ah, you’re funny.” She scribbles something on the paper in front of her. “Okay, you’re hired... You can start tomorrow, right?”

 

“Yes!”

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow at nine, then.”

 

“Yes, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Jennie nods, shaking the other girl’s hand. She hesitates for a moment, noticing for the first time the ring on her finger. “You’re married?”

 

Jisoo nods, her lips curved slightly into a mysterious smile.

 

“That’s why it’s so important I get the extra help.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Ah, you must not be able to tell with the apron.” She lifts the thick fabric, and Jennie immediately understands what she had meant. “I’m just far along enough to show.”

 

“I will work extra hard then.” Jennie grins, bowing deeply as the older girl laughs.

 

She leaves the small restaurant, stopping to take a steadying breath as she stands on the curb. She looks across at the bar Jisoo had mentioned, its unlit neon signage bleak in the daylight.

 

 

Jennie knew he wouldn’t meet her at the airport. He didn’t even know she was back in Korea. But there was still a distinct loneliness to watching other couples embrace at the baggage claim.

 

He hadn’t answered any of her calls whenever she’d managed to get ahold of a payphone. Her mother had smashed her cell, so there wasn’t any other way of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter