1/1

[CROSSPOSTED CHRISTMAS FIC] Of Presents, Hugs and Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Original prompt:

"Luhan is the most popular kid on their kindergarten, so he received many presents on their little Christmas party; however, he didn't recieved a gift from the persone he loves.
Sehun wants to give Luhan his present, but he's too shy since he is insecure."

--------

 

Little Luhan has it all.

 

He is the dream son of each and every parent along the block. A handsome—more like beautiful—kid with manners and skills, he is the golden child in the kindergarten. No, it could be said that he is the favorite everywhere he sets his tiny feet on. One should be heartless enough to not love such a sweetheart like Luhan, who people often think of as a cute cherub that the skies blessed the world with.

His fluffy black tuff of curly hair, doe-like eyes, cute button nose, apple cheeks, tender lips, naturally warm vibe and his squishy, little body make the kids in their kindergarten wonder if he is missing his wings, because he is basically an angel they could not help but admire. He can be mistaken as a child star by the aura of sophistication he naturally exudes despite not being born into an aristocratic family. He is always neat, courtesy of his parents’ efforts to make him presentable despite not being among the richest people living in the neighborhood.

The kid’s bag is always filled with baby wipes, a roll of tissue, baby powder and a comb to tend himself whenever he becomes dirty from playing. His school supplies are also complete and he often shares his pad paper to his classmates if they have none. Once, he gave out like half of what remained in his pad paper, causing his parents to scold him for being too nice that nothing was left for him. He does the same with his food, sharing even the last morsel of his sandwich and the last sip of his favorite taro bubble tea to his classmates. He behaves in a prim and proper and shows respect to elders, causing them to coo to the child and fall for his charms.

Luhan is one of the smartest kids in the kindergarten, third to his richest classmate Kim Joonmyeon and the cute, owl-eyed boy Do Kyungsoo. Maybe it is because of his love for reading, using some of his leisure time back at home to read books from his parents’ mini library or his habitual practice of asking his parents a lot of “whys” and “hows.” Along with Kim Minseok, his chubby and adorable best friend, they are the most athletic children as seen on how fast they run during their ‘tag’ games and whenever they are playing with a soccer ball in the central park near the kindergarten.

Luhan isn’t exactly the sociable type, but at least, he is heeding to his parents’ advice of getting out of his shell and interacting with others. Before, he was this shy, quiet deer who meekly sat in his seat on the first day during his first year in the kindergarten but having garnered enough attention for being one of the prettiest and downright adorable kids as days progressed, he gradually became everyone’s friend. His best friend turned out to be Minseok, though. He finds it hard to deal with Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Jongdae, Tao and their loud mouths, Joonmyeon and Yixing’s maturity for their age, Kyungsoo and Jongin’s somewhat blunt and snarky attitude, Kris’s weirdness, and Sehun’s silence.

Speaking of Sehun, that kid is the only one who seems to be not swooned by Luhan’s charms. He is the only person Luhan knows that does not seem to find the Chinese deer special. For some reason, Oh Sehun apparently shuns him by the way he never approached Luhan. All the kids are flocking around Luhan whenever the Chinese deer brings a new toy or wears clothes that look like designer brands, but Sehun always stays in a secluded corner, basking in his own world. His attention is always immersed in any of the books he brings with him, which the other kids find boring because they are basically about branches of science that children will often find uninteresting at their age. He is fond of reading literature books, too, which Chanyeol once pointed out as dull and pointless because they have no pictures. Thinking that little Sehun is merely practicing how to read the words, their homeroom teacher once asked him if he knew what the poem, a romantic poem by a famous poet in particular, means, and Sehun mumbled some explanation that the other kids found too hard to understand despite the simple words the evidently smart kid used.

Surprisingly, Joonmyeon and Yixing cannot understand what the books say even if they seem the most mature pair out of all the pupils in their class. Luhan often thinks how Sehun is not the first in their honor roll; perhaps, he is too preoccupied with all those books and that he is not interested with matters that he finds too childish, even if they are technically still kids.

Sehun is that one handsome kid who has a severe lack of friends. Kris, even though he is weird and hard to comprehend sometimes, has friends, but Sehun, despite not being really that out of this world, does not have one permanent friend in the kindergarten. It seems that he is so done with his classmates’ immaturity—which is supposed the way kids should behave, to be honest—that he opts to stay huddled in a corner with his books and his pink plushie, Pinku Pinku. He barely talks with the other kids, and when he does, they quickly back away because he often wears a poker face that scares them. His eyes emanate a cold aura and when he stares at someone, intentionally or not, he appears to be aloof and unfriendly. The kid does not seem to see it as a problem, as shown by his lack of effort to reach out to others.

Luhan, too, is afraid to talk with Sehun. How could he, if one stare at Sehun’s direction, he feels his face heat up? Little Luhan once tried to talk with Sehun by extending his hand for a handshake when they became seatmates, but Sehun merely looked at him with his intimidating stare. Luhan remembers drawing his hand back awkwardly, muttering a hushed “sorry” for disturbing Sehun in the drawing the slightly taller kid was making that day.

Luhan does not know why, but despite the rude first impression of his seatmate, he finds him rather interesting. Despite being devastated by the first ever rejection he experienced, Luhan could not bring himself to cry, too mesmerized on the way the snobbish kid moved his eyes across the page of a book. He looks so intelligent, the little cherub thought, and he found himself stealing glances at Sehun ever since that day. He actually wants to try talking with Sehun again, or perhaps, win his friendship by giving him sweets like what he often does with the other kids, but the fear of being rejected again holds him back. Besides, he does not mind leaving Sehun alone if he can snag the chance to silently gape in awe at the other’s cool demeanor.

 

He once asked his mother, “mama, what does it mean when Lulu’s heart thumps his chest too fast like he played soccer all day?” The pouting child tugged his mother’s dress with a pleading look. “Is Lulu sick? Will Lulu die?”

His mother answered him with a teasing smile and tone that caused the kid to be flustered. “Lulu won’t die. He is not sick. It probably means that he likes someone. Oh, does my Xiao Lu have a crush on some pretty girl?”

 

His little mind could not grasp the concept of having a crush at that time, but as time passed, he concluded that the crazy somersaults of his heart and the heating of his face despite not having a fever were the symptoms of his growing attraction for Sehun.

But Sehunnie is a boy, he often whimpers to himself, pouting while getting frustrated. He planned to tell Minseok one day, but a tiny voice inside his head told him to keep the secret to himself. He does not plan telling his parents, too, because the smart kid he is, he knows what he is feeling is strange… unique. His parents are both male and female, making him think that he is one queer child.

 

 

 

Little Luhan has it all, except Oh Sehun.

 

 

 

He is undeniably drawn to the cold little boy, and because Christmas is just around the corner, he promises himself to win Sehun’s heart by giving him the best present ever.

 

 

 

--

Little Sehun is a shy kid.

 

In more ‘adult-ish’ terms, he is a socially inept kid who does not bother talking unless necessary. It does not help that he inherited the stern, slit-like eyes of his father, because he is intimidating without even doing anything. He is raised by parents who were topnotchers back in their college days, so he is often taught of intellectual things instead of the usual bed time stories he finds childish. If they read him stories or he does it himself, he prefers short stories, novels and poems. He does not mind if the book has no pictures; he actually thinks that images are a bother because more words could honestly be put on the space they occupy.

His parents and his brother act like their normal selves around him but still, they give heed of topics that should not befall an innocent child’s ears even if they know that Sehun will easily grasp the concept. For that reason alone, it can be said that Sehun is bound to be more matured than his peers.

He does not socialize that much. It isn’t that he hates the other kids; it is just that he finds it difficult to deal with their wavelength. He considers it a bother to be bombarded with the beagle line’s incessant noises. He is not comfortable with Kyungsoo staring at him with big, round eyes and with Jongin poking his cheek every now and then, that naughty child always earned a glare from. Kris is downright hard to understand and Tao is too whiny for his liking, while Joonmyeon and Yixing are too… matured. Yes, Sehun himself is matured, but not to the extent of the duo who acts like a mother and father to the kids whenever the teacher leaves them for a while. Also, he cannot understand how Minseok and Luhan can be giggly 24/7, particularly the Chinese deer.

For some reason, Luhan has a permanent smile painted across his face, brightening up the room with the invisible beams of sunlight his tiny body is emitting. Sehun was shocked that the kid befriended him, because the others, even the annoying trio in the room, were too scared to approach Sehun who was scowling deeply that one particular day. Sehun found himself looking back on his book, getting all awkward because of the unexpected friendly gesture from the deer. He sensed the deer pouting while drawing his hand back, and suddenly, Sehun wanted to reach out and hold the boy’s hand all day. Not wanting to embarrass himself, he refrained from doing so, though he could not deny that he began watching over Luhan since that day.

He joins the kids in their games even if they are often too childish for his liking. He does not bother tagging Chanyeol and Baekhyun whenever he is the ‘it,’ not wanting to hear them holler right on his ears and chase after him like he is some alien from the outer space. Though, once Luhan joins the games, Sehun gets all flustered and leaves the scene as soon as possible. He often catches the hurt stare and cute pout on Luhan’s face every time he does that, but how could he help it? He does not want to be embarrassing on front of the Chinese darling. He once did stay, however, because Luhan seemed that he would cry any second. He probably thinks I hate him. And that day, because his eyes remained glued on Luhan throughout the game, he got tagged a lot of times and even tripped on process of running. His ears grew red when Luhan was the first one to reach him, wanting to help him stand up. He could hear Chanyeol still laughing in the background, with Kyungsoo smacking the giant’s head to make him shut up. Not wanting to seem vulnerable in front of the boy’s eyes, he did not take the hand and stood shakily on his bruised legs as he trudged to the kindergarten’s entrance to wait for his mother.

He badly wants to talk Luhan. He wants Luhan to tell him stories about his life directly, not that Sehun is always eavesdropping whenever the deer is talking with Minseok. Sometimes, only sometimes.

He wants to hug and squish Luhan’s cheeks like what the other kids are doing. He wants to hold his hand while walking to the playground. He wants to see Luhan smile at him and be the reason behind it. He wants to pull Jongin away from Luhan every time the other is subtly trailing behind Luhan like a tail, but what? Sehun is just an odd baby who thinks like an adult. He is just that someone who can be ignored for the rest of the day. Luhan is too good for him.

 

Oh Sehun is not a major loss anyway; Luhan has a lot of friends, right?

 

--

“What are you going to give me, Baekkie?” Sehun overhears Tao asking Baekhyun over their snack time. It is a few days before their Christmas party, and as expected, the kids are asking one another who they picked during the name drawing for their Secret Santa event. Sehun internally rolls his eyes because what is the sense of doing Secret Santa if they will spill everything? Well at least, Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Tao are the only ones who told everyone who they picked.

 

 

Kids, really.

 

 

“Baekkie is going to give you roaches,” Chanyeol grins at the panda, causing the latter’s eyes to water while shaking his head. “No, no, I don’t wanna—“

“Goodness, Yeollie,” Joonmyeon massages his temple while giving the taller kid a glare which turns out to be cute. "Do not scare him, okay? We do not want to hear Tao cry all day.”

“Calm down, Tao-yah.” Luhan smiles at the whimpering panda, causing Sehun to contemplate whether he should be pissed that the smile is not directed towards him or if he is supposed to be mesmerized at the lovely glimmer in the boy’s eyes. “Baekkie is going to give you a nice present, right, Baek?”

Baekhyun nods at this, but then Jongdae suddenly says—screams, “I want Luhannie to be my Secret Santa!”

Nods and noises of approval ring through the table, and in a blink of an eye, small little hands are tugging Luhan’s shirt.

“Lulu, who did you pick? Is it me? Is it me?” Their eyes are pleading Luhan to answer that it is one of them, and Luhan looks like he is in a dilemma. Maybe it is because he wants to follow the rule of the game, or it is because he is nearly falling from his chair from the multiple sets of hands that are tugging him. Only Kris, Joonmyeon, Yixing, Minseok and Sehun are not bothering Luhan, with the two matured kids plus Minseok declutching the kids’ hands from Luhan who looks like he will cry from having his shirt nearly ruined.

“L-Lulu cannot tell who he is,” Luhan says once everyone is back on their chairs. His face looks panicky when the other kids’ faces reflect their displeasure, so he sighs and waves his tiny hands around while saying, “but Lulu will give everyone a gift! Lulu promises!”

The kids cheer, clapping their tiny hands together, even Kris who is busy drawing another masterpiece, except Sehun who is spacing out.

“Luhannie is so kind,” Jongin grins, throwing his arm around the other’s shoulder that had Sehun’s blood boiling. The goofy boy quickly placed a big smooch on Luhan’s cheek while pulling him closer, and the blatant display of affection on front of Sehun’s eyes is too much to bear. His tiny hands squeeze around his almost empty bubble tea cup, but it goes unnoticed as the Yixing asks, “Xing wonders who picked Hannie’s name. Hannie deserves a great gift for being so nice throughout the year.”

Sehun visibly gulps at this, though the other kids are focused on Luhan’s pretty face who is obviously thinking who drew his name.

“Chen-Chen hopes that Santa will give lots of gifts for Hannie, like Santa did to me last year,” the troll beams with his incomplete set of teeth, but Joonmyeon cuts him, “Chen-Chen received a gift last year? But you are naughty the whole year! Why didn’t Santa give Myeonnie one?”

“Santa does not exist,” Kris deadpans, his eyes not moving away from the paper he is moving his artistic hands on. At last, he said something that makes sense, Sehun mumbles under his breath before getting up to throw his empty—crushed—cup in the trash bin. He is glad he left, because the table was soon filled with bickering about Santa’s existence, or the lack of it.

 

--

 

“Oh Sehun.”

“Shhh.”

“Sehun-ah.”

“Cut it.”

“What—yah, I am your brother—“

“What is it, hyung?” Sehun looks up from his—more like his brother’s—tablet in annoyance. The five year-old boy glares at his eight year-old brother who is taken aback at the cold look in his younger brother’s eyes. The elder sighs while pointing at the direction of the kitchen where their mother is, silently threatening the younger boy who merely rolled his eyes.

“Any day from now, I will surely tell Eomma how much you are disrespecting me,” the elder Oh mutters while taking a peek on his tablet. “What are you searching for, dongsaeng? It has been an hour since you borrowed my tablet and your ugly face is scrunched up ever since.”

The baby Oh does not answer, opting to scroll down the screen with his stubby fingers. He attempts to make the tablet face away from his brother but the latter is swift enough to grab the gadget from the smaller. Sehun stares with horror at his brother who starts cackling hysterically, even slapping his thigh while reading the writings on the screen.

“Omo, you are browsing Christmas catalogs?” Sehun’s elder brother laughs while scrolling down the screen. “What are you, an adult? This coat is more expensive than my possessions combined, Sehun-ah!”

What is even funny about it? “Hyung is exaggerating,” the younger shrugs while weakly punching his brother’s arm. “Give it back now.”

Turns out, his brother checked the whole browsing history and is soon laughing his heart out. “Love poems? Wedding rings? Seriously, Sehunnie?”

“Stop laughing or Sehunnie will tell Eomma hyung is bullying me,” Sehun frowns, but the elder merely answers, “like she will believe you. You are the one who is always hurting me.” The elder Oh clutches his chest dramatically that only made Sehun scoff. “Stop it, hyung.”

“Whoever this girl is,” hyung, it is a boy more beautiful than girls, “I assure you that she would not understand what you are trying to convey. Those gifts are for adults, Sehunnie. Who in your age will understand poems? I myself cannot understand. About the wedding rings, it is too early to think of proposing!”

“Who will propose?” Mrs. Oh emerges from the kitchen, a tray of freshly baked gingerbread cookies on her hand. The two boys instantly lit up at the mouthwatering sight that is slowly but surely making its way towards them.

Mrs. Oh carefully lays the plate containing the cookies before setting the tray aside. Sehun’s brother, of course, tells their mother what the youngest Oh was browsing about.

“Sehunnie, you cannot give jewelries to kids,” Mrs. Oh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter