Chapter 1 - The Author

The Lover's Signature
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you could have any super power in the world what would it be?

For most people, popular answers consisted of invisibility, super strength, the ability to fly, and…the ability to make someone love you. Of course, that all seems ridiculous, especially the power to make someone love you. After all, isn’t the point of love to discover who you love and who loves you, rather than use hocus pocus to make someone infatuated with you. A certain black haired beauty that was supposed to be an expert on the topic of love was praying to god for some powers. 

For Irene Bae, the only power she wished she had was the power to get rid of the frustrating writer’s block she had been struggling with for the past 2 years. She tucked back a few stray strands of her silky black hair behind her ear and groaned a little too loudly for the ears of the public. She raised her head up, looking around the cafe she was sitting in, and quickly muttered apologies to the handful of people who threw glances her way.

Irene ran her slender fingers through her hair and sighed. She collected her things, put them away in her Balenciaga designer bag, and quietly exited the cafe. She was met with the cool breeze of autumn weather and slowly made her way to the lot. Upon getting into her Mercedes Benz parked in the 3rd spot on the left, she sat in silence in the driver’s seat and closed her eyes. Peace was with her for only a split second before the familiar ringtone and buzzing of her phone went off.

“Hello?”

“Irene, sweetie!”

“Hi Henry..” Irene knew what the phone call would be about. It was basically the same conversation her and her agent, Henry, had for the past year. 

“I just wanted to remind you that you have a book signing tomorrow at 1PM.”

“Yes, Henry. I remember.” 

“Don’t forget you have an interview before that 12:30.”

“Yes, Henry. I remember.” 

“And listen sweetie, I’ll try to deflect the hiatus questions. Just please…please work on the next book. We can’t keep relying on your book signings and public appearances for your popularity. I’m already getting a mouthful from President Sooman.”

Irene felt the guilt easing up making it difficult for her to respond to her agent. She knew her block was making it hard on everyone especially Henry. Picking up his phone calls and seeing him was torture enough knowing he was the reason she was successful. Henry understood that she needed time and did everything he could to keep the company from firing her. Irene shut her eyes in frustration and breathed a slow sigh,

“Yeah…I know. I’m sorry, Henry. I’m trying really hard.”

“I know sweetie. Listen, repeat after me. Irene Bae is the best goddamn writer!” Henry shouted. Irene could practically envision the man doing the wonder woman pose through the phone.

She giggled. 

“Repeat it!”

“Okay okay! Irene…Bae is the best writer.” Irene winced at the fake-ness of the statement and how pretentious it sounded coming out of . 

“Best. Goddamn. Writer.” Henry affirmed. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Get some rest.”

“Thanks, Henry.” Good

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter