MarkHyuck: One

NCT High

Donghyuck was very scared since it is his first day of school. What would it be like? Not that he would ever show anyone he was afraid. That's not his trademark style. His trademark style was to not care and just be awesome like a diva. It had worked for him all this time, why stop now? The bus was not exactly a very 'divalike' entrance, but he had to make do. No one even dared looking at where he sat in the back. Everyone was nervous anyways. He could see some of his old friends from middle school. 

'Old friends' was the correct term for this. This year, Donghyuck wanted to start again. He even got himself a new name: Haechan. This new name gave him the newfound confidence he needed to get through all of this. He got all of his strength out of this. That's exactly how he got up and walked off the bus, walking right past his former best friend: Jeno. Jeno looked at him puzzled, he could not figure out why Donghyuck would be like this all of a sudden. All of their lives they had been together, but now Donghyuck had left him all alone to fend for himself. This day could literally not get any worse for Jeno already. 

Haechan walked straight up to the building. It was all new for him, but he did it with flair and confidence, attracting many curious looks from everyone around. This was just what he wanted on his first day: to be part of the main clique. The Mean Girls were known all through middle school. All of the girls had wanted to be part of this clique and actually a lot of guys too. They normally don't accept just anyone and that was why he wanted to get in. It would give him the name and status he needed so much. 

 

On the other side of campus Mark arrived. He was driving his expensive car into the parking lot. The same old boring school came into sight as he parked his car in the usual spot. Mark was very tired of all the boring routine this school had. Last summer had been amazing, just driving around and doing what he wanted. He even got to work on some music while he was away. Not that his parents would ever approve. Every single time he told them about they would shake their heads and tell him to focus on football. He needed to get that scholarship to get into college soon. There was not that much time left for him to do so. 

After getting out of his car, Mark looked around the parking lot. There were lots of new people around at the start of a new year. Only two years ago he was part of said group. Now he was a junior, ready to take on the world he knew so little about. The world he wanted to get to know. Lots of people looked at him, he was used to it by now. The girls gave him wanting looks as he ignored all of them. None of them seemed to ever interest him in the way they should. Of course he had tried dating before, but it just never felt right. He wanted it to feel right for once, not just date someone for their looks. 

That's when Mark saw Haechan for the first time. He saw him walking up the front steps with all of his sass. He had never seen a guy do that before. There was something in his manner of walking that kept on attracting attention and Mark actually liked that. The boy did seem like he didn't give a damn about what other people thought about him. It was everything Mark ever wanted to be: fearless. Without knowing Mark started walking towards the boy, but he was too late. A group of attractive young men were already swarming around him. He knew some of them. Their clique was known as "The Mean Girls" and was obviously a parody on the movie with the same name. Ten was one of them. He knew him because someone on his team was good friends with the boy. 

He decided to just move past the group of people and go inside. Class was going to start anyway.  He needed to get to his locker before class started to get his books. Man did he hate dragging those things around, but he had to. This was high school after all. After going to his locker he turned around to look for something in his bag, but knocked someone over instead. It was the boy from before. Mark immediately bent over to get the books the boy dropped on the floor. He felt horrible for bumping into him. 

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to..." he started saying but saw the boy did not try to pick up his books. Mark looked up at him and saw a sassy glare. 

"Who do you think you are? Walking into my like that and making me drop my books? This is not another teen movie, okay?" Haechan said with as much sass as he could muster. 

"Well, if you're going to be rude, pick them up yourself..." Mark said and dropped all the books again. 

"I'm not picking them up, you are", Haechan dared to say and looked right into the other boys's eyes. Man, did he get in lost in them. They were the kind of brown that just made your knees weak and your heart melt. Haechan had to try with all his might to not break his sassy glare. Mark was equal to him and he was not used to it at all. 

"Why were you even behind me?" Mark sighs, but does not pick up the books. 

"This is my locker..." Haechan said while pointing to the one next to Mark's. Mark sighed again. He would be seeing this guy for the rest of the year and man did they start out great... 

"Look, I don't want to fight since I'll be seeing you a lot over the year. My name is Mark, what's yours?" he tried being polite to the other boy because that was how he was raised. 

"I'm Haechan", he said with lots of confidence. It was the second time he'd said this name out loud to anyone. It felt strange, but would get better in the end. "Now, are we going to stand here all day or are you going to pick up those books?" 

At that Mark rolled his eyes, closed his locker and went to class. He'd had enough of this boy thinking he was everything after just arriving at this school. It did kind of excite him too, to see someone not care about age or status and just go for what he wanted. Haechan was definitely a person he would have to watch for the time being, because that boy could be trouble. A lot of trouble. 

Meanwhile Haechan waited for Mark to be out of his vision to pick up his own books. It was a bit embarrassing to be that sassy without any result. He'd done the same thing earlier with the Mean Girls, with lots of succes. They wanted him to join the team, after a trial period, of course. But somehow with Mark it did not seem to work. Which angered him a lot. Haechan knew what he wanted and went for it. He also had to admit that Mark looked kind of great. He'd noticed him from across the lot and wished to talk to him like he'd never wanted anything else, but seems like the guy is an . Which makes him so much more attractive, oddly. Haechan did not know how to interpret these feelings he was having towards this boy he just met, but he knew he had to stop. And that's when the bell rang. 

During lunch break Haechan was invited to sit with the Mean Girls at their table. It was an honor to be invited there and he would never take it for granted. The head of the table was Ten. Ten was not mean at all, he was just nice and had lots of leadership qualities. He was also a good friend of someone on the football team. Which is how he got this position in the first place. There were a few new members too besides Haechan. Their names were Chenle, Jaemin and Renjun. They seemed to fit right in, just like Haechan did. 

"Haechan, I heard that is not your real name..." Chenle suddenly said while munching on his salad. 

"It is my real name. Want to see my ID?" he said sassily. It was really his name on his ID too. He'd convinced his parents to change it altogether. It made him feel better about himself, more confident. They wanted their son to feel at his best at all times. 

"Chill, it's fine. Just a rumor", Chenle laughed it off with a laugh that sounded like a seal. It was kind of cute and all the others thought the same thing. It seemed like the kid had been adopted into this group already. Haechan wished deeply to be accepted like this too. And it did all seem to work. 

"Dude, this guy from the Jocks table keeps on staring at you", Jaemin said while pointing him out. It was Mark. It looked like he was daydreaming about something while his eyes were fixed on Haechan. It made the little boy curious as to why he was so fixed on him. 

Mark was really dreaming. It had started out by looking at the new guy on that popular table. Somehow it caused him to dream about him, which was weird. Mark usually never had these kind of feelings. 

"Are you looking at Donghyuck?" Someone asked Mark, making him snap out of his daydream. 

"No, I was looking at my locker neighbor Haechan..." Mark informed the guy. He remembered him being a freshman with the name of Jeno. He looked like a good prospect for the team: already buff enough to enter this year. 

"Ahh, that's the name he goes by now..." Jeno silently whispers while walking away. He left Mark even more confused than he ever was. Mark did not know what to think of it so he stared some more, shamelessly. Only when Haechan finally looked back did he avert his eyes to look at the other side of the cafeteria. This was going to be a long school year.