This World We Live In

Office Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

As you get older, time becomes relative. The longer you live, the larger the fraction of time becomes and it goes quicker each year. Before I knew it, it is already the end of my first month working at Kim Dragon Corporation. I’ve learnt so much and at the same time, so little. I feel like I’ve still got a long way to go.

 

Another hurdle was only placed in front of me today.

 

“You can do it right Wheein?”

 

I don’t know when Miss Moon started calling me by my first name, but I love the way it sounds coming from her lips. When she smiles at me, there’s no way I would deny her anything. I wonder if she knows that.

 

All I can do is nod, even if my heart is jittering from the thought of next week. Miss Moon is asking me to do a presentation in front of our entire department. Granted, it only consisted of ten people, but it’s my first presentation in the real working environment. I’m so nervous that my fingers tremble.

 

When I’m at lunch, it hits me.

 

“What am I going to do Hyejin?” I ask despairingly. The last time I had done a presentation was two years ago for my university dissertation, which I had prepared for, for a whole month and I only had to present to three of my lecturers, who I'd known for three years. This presentation would be in front of ten people who I barely even know. 

 

“You have a week to prepare right? Don’t worry, I’ll help you out.”

 

I look at Hyejin as if she’s an angel. She really is my knight in shining armour. I grab her hands urgently.

 

“Thank you Hyejin! You’re a life safer.”

 

Hyejin chuckles and lightly pinches my cheek affectionately. “You don’t need to go that far. We can meet tonight, at the usual place?”

 

I grin and shoot her a gun signal.

 

“Of course!” I answer in my broken English, seeing her a wink.

 

Like a good friend, she laughs and sends back the signal. I can always count of Hyejin to play along with me. Ever since I’ve known Hyejin, - being nearly 10 years now - she’s always been right hand man, and shoulder to cry on. She knows me in and out, and I know her just as well.

 

So, it takes me slightly by surprise when she doesn’t understand my infatuation with Miss Moon. I understand in this world we live in, queer relationships aren't the norm yet, but I think love is love which shouldn't be discriminated against. Although I've never really expressed any interest in women romantically, or even men at that, I wouldn't mind if Miss Moon was my girlfriend. In fact, thinking about it for the first time, it makes me blush profusely. 

 

I don’t know when the conversation started. One minute we’re talking about my presentation, and the next, my girl crush.

 

“If you add this formula into the top bar, it will change your column. Then, when you input your figures, it will automatically configure your graph, making it easier to copy and paste it into your presentation.”

 

My eyes boggle as Hyejin moves my laptop mouse. The Moo Café, famous for its milk drinks and radish kimbap, is relatively empty. This was our favourite place as students, and has been ever since then. With its homely décor and chilled atmosphere, Hyejin and I spent many hours here.

 

“I’m amazed Hyejin. How do you know so much?”

 

She smiles smugly. “You know I’ve been at the company for a year now. I am technically your senior.”

 

I guffawed. “I don’t think I can see you that way after seeing you fall flat on your face, with your own skirt over your head. I can still picture how pink those were.”

 

Hyejin gasps, slapping my arm. “I thought I was going to die that day.”

 

“Let me tell you, if Miss Moon had seen me in that state, I would definitely die from embarrassment.”

 

When I mentioned Miss Moon’s name, Hyejin immediately withdraws. I didn’t know Miss Moon bothered her so much.

 

“I don’t understand what you see in her.” she says. “She’s not that pretty.”

 

The pout quickly forms on my face. “To me she is.”

 

“Do you really like her that much?” Hyejins asks.

 

I furiously nod.

 

“Do you like her more than me?”

 

Before I can answer, the bell above the door jingles, signalling the entrance or departure of people. My eyes subconsciously glance towards the door, and I see a couple enter. My eyes boggle when I recognise one of the woman.

 

“Oh my gosh, isn’t that Miss Moon?”

 

Hyejin’s eyes almost roll back to the back of her head, but she turns around. When she quickly turns back, her eyes are wide. I know I’m right. My gaze hones in on the woman wearing a white hoodie and red cap, with slim fitted Nike bottoms. She looks so sporty and stylish. However, her outfit doesn’t take away her feminine features and long blonde hair. Even without makeup, she’s stunning.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter