Missing Hero

Office Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

On the first day of my new job, the gateway to the real adult life, I did not expect to see her. I am supposed to be a new woman, an adult taking her first steps towards a fulfilling career. Of all people, I did not want her to see me as a bumbling mess.

 

“This is Jung Wheein.” introduces the head of HR. “This is Moon Byulyi, your new superior. She’ll be in charge of your induction and probation period.”

 

I can’t even speak. Her soft gaze and polite smile, I just freeze. I’ve seen pretty people, even gorgeous people, but there was something about Miss Moon that makes me stop thinking. Perhaps it’s recognition. The euphoria of recognising your hero.

 

 

My blood ran cold as soon as I felt a large hand press against my lower back. It was inching lower and lower. I wanted to cry out but my voice was stuck. I was stuck. Mentally, I begged for someone to stop him, to save me. Anyone.

 

“Hey!”

 

Everyone’s attention in the busy carriage turned to the loud voice. When I turned, the taller woman held the older man’s hand high, her fingers wrapped firmly around his wrist. He looked startled, with his balding hair and scar at the corner of his lip.

 

“What are you doing touching a school girl?”

 

Whispers of disgust filled the carriage as they stared at the man. With all the focus on him, he couldn’t even talk. However, as soon as the subway came to a stop, he dashed off when the doors opened. I could only stare after him.

 

“Are you okay?” she asked.

 

Still shocked, and slightly humiliated, I could only nod. Her smile was sympathetic and she lightly patted my head. My cheeks warmed at the touch.

 

“You did good.”

 

My eyes stung as tears welled.

 

“I’ll take you to your school. It’s Hongik High right? I recognise the uniform.”

 

Even though I tried to protest, the woman still travelled with me. I discovered she had also gone to the high school, graduating a couple years before. With her long brown hair and her wide smile, I didn’t want to stop talking to her. She was also so interested in everything I said. It made me blush how concentrated she was. I wondered if she looked at anyone else that way. I wished it could only be me.

 

“Well, we’re here.”

 

I glanced around and she was right. We were at the entrance of my high school.

 

“Work hard at school student!”

 

Then, as quick as she entered my life, she left.

 

“Thank you!” I finally yelled.

 

When she turned, smiled, and waved, I desired nothing more than to take a photo. I wanted to capture the way her nose curled up and her eyes squinted.

 

Suddenly, a body push into me.

 

“Morning Wheein.” happily greeted Hyejin. “What are you looking at?”

 

“My love…”

 

“Me?”

 

“No!” I exclaimed. “Her.” I said, pointing down the hill.

 

Hyejin followed the direction of my finger, but she couldn’t see anyone. I could only sigh and walk with her to class, arms linked. I wondered if I would ever meet her again. Hopefully, if a deity was watching, they would grant me the fate of our reunion.

 

“So, what’s her name anyway?”

 

I stopped. And I screamed. After all that, I didn’t even know her name.

 

 

I stared at Moon Byulyi. Although her hair has changed from straight brown, to wavy blonde, her eyes and smile are just the same. Her gaze is only focussed on me, and her smile is just as bright as before. It’s been over 5 years, but my body is still reacting the same.

 

“She’s cute.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter