Ch 7

Mafia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5:30am came around fast and before Misook knew it she was on her first mission as a member of the Mafia. Even though she’d grown up as part of it she had never ventured out on a mission with the others; her father had never let her interact with the ‘lower ranks’. 

Seeing everyone dressed in their police uniforms was weird and confusing, but as long as she stuck with Chanyeol and her teammates she would be alright. She was glad that Joonmyun had pointed out who was who because there must’ve been at least fifty officers here, all wearing the same uniform, and all standing around waiting for orders. 

Kyungsoo was speaking with a few officers next to one of the many police vans. He hadn’t spoken to Misook, or any of the other members aside from Minseok and Kai since arriving at the warehouse. It was important that he didn’t interact with them too much. The real police were under the assumption that Misook and co were officers from a different station, and Minseok and Kai were vital to Kyungsoo’s team - at least that’s what he’d told them. 

Kris hadn’t spoken to Misook since yesterday despite being the first to see her that morning. She assumed it was because he was making sure that everyone was ready for the operation, but from the way Kyungsoo explained everything yesterday she didn’t really understand why Kris was leading it when Kyungsoo clearly had a better grasp on the situation in the first place. Then again, Kyungsoo probably didn’t want to break his cover. 

She spotted Kris by the side of the warehouse talking to Joonmyun, who had his arms folded and a stern look on his face as Kris spoke. Misook was too far away to hear what they were saying, but Kris lifting his hand to Joonmyun’s cheek didn’t go unnoticed. 

She turned to Chanyeol who was stood next to her and said, “Does Kris always treat Joonmyun like he’s his girlfriend?” 

Chanyeol looked down at her, and upon being prompted by a nod of the head followed her gaze to the two males. 

“They’re just really close friends,” Chanyeol responded, turning his attention back to whatever he was looking at previously. 

“So I’ve heard,”  

“Why’d you ask?” 

She shrugged, “Just an observation,” 

The conversation ended there as the police began to move in on the warehouse. Kris disappeared off with Joonmyun following close behind, and Misook was left alone with Chanyeol and Tao. Chanyeol led the way into the warehouse. 

 

 

The plan had gone to the second the rival gang showed up to get their stuff back. The members of the mafia had scattered, abandoning the teams in which they’d been placed and Misook subsequently found herself behind a stack of crates completely alone while bullets and splinters of wood went flying overhead. She’d lost Chanyeol somewhere in the crossfire and had no idea where Tao had gone, though she was pretty sure he couldn’t have gone that far unless he’d jumped the crates. 

Another bullet hitting the crates opposite had her covering her eyes. The gun in her hand had run out of bullets a few minutes ago and she was completely defenceless unless one of the guys reached her. She squealed as a man dressed in uniform came barrelling over the crate behind her, landing on his side right next to her, looking bewildered. She sighed in relief when she saw it was Jongdae. 

“Need help?” He questioned as he recovered and sent a few shots back. Misook flinched when a bullet skimmed the top of his hair. 

“I’m guessing this is when we pull out?” She responded, tucking her gun into its holster. 

“You’d be correct,” he replied, “there’s a window behind those crates,” he pointed to a large stack about twenty feet away, “we can escape through there, but we’ll have to run like our lives depend on it.” 

Misook didn’t need to be told twice as she scrambled to her feet, and on Jongdae’s signal began sprinting towards the crates. She’d half expected to run into the other members on the way but was surprised when she didn’t. However, she didn’t have time to think about where the others might be and instead leapt onto the crate below the window and all but threw herself out of the opening, landing heavily on her side on the grass below. Jongdae was quick to follow her, but not without being caught in the left bicep by a stray bullet, causing him to fall off the window ledge and almost land on Misook for the second time in less than five minutes. 

Jongdae recovered quicker than Misook expected, ignoring the pain in his arm and pulled Misook along to the waiting getaway van. Kris was already in the van waiting, along with seven others. The only members unaccounted for were Kyungsoo, who was likely to be dealing with the situation with his colleagues, Sehun, who had probably taken up refuge somewhere until the havoc had calmed down, and Baekhyun who she hadn’t seen since the beginning of the operation. 

With the sound of wheels screeching filling the air, Kris made the decision to leave without them. Jongdae’s injury

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter