Two Turtle Doves

12 Days of Writing (Christmas Special)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prompt: 
“You’re not capable of love.”
“Yet I love you.”
“You want me, there’s a difference.”

-credit: the-modern-typewriter

7 months, 2 weeks, and 5 days. That's how long I had been here. Locked like a bird in a cage.

"Good morning, Princess, time for breakfast." Baekhyun burst through the door. Sighing, I moved from my bed to the small table in the corner. "It's just take out from the iHop down the street, sorry. We're all a bit busy with . . . stuff."

I didn't bother a reply. There was no use. It didn't bother him though, he only gave me a wistful smile and left, locking the door behind him. Each click of the 3 locks felt like rocks dropping to the pit of my stomach.

This was my every day now. Baekhyun, the right hand man, would bring me food in the mornings. 7AM sharp. 12PM was lunch, Kyungsoo brought that by. 5PM was dinner, the only time I got to leave my room, breathe fresh air that wasn't constantly circulated between the four walls of my prison. If only I didn't have to spend it with the devil himself.

"Sehun's running a bit late today," Jongin said, bringing me into the dining room. "He's said you could start without him."

Minseok, the ever present prison guard, gave me a brief smile when I passed him, going to my usual chair at the end of the table. Always by the fireplace, on the right side. Sehun would sit at the head of the table. Jongin left me to it, returning to whatever job he had. 

The housekeeper, an older lady named Aneta who only spoke Polish, brought in the steaming plate of food. Steak with vegetables. Fridays usual meal. Before sauntering back into the kitchen, Aneta patted me on the shoulder, just like she had ever since I'd been brought here. Some days her actions reminded me so much of my mother, I struggled to get through dinner without breaking down. Aneta was the only person in this god forsaken mansion I didn't hate. I had an inkling that she barely understood what went on right under her nose. 

I ended up eating dinner entirely alone that night. It wasn't a first. Sometimes Sehun got held up and didn't come back in time. I never asked where he was or what held him up. I finished my food and let Minseok me back to my room. 

It wasn't normal, however, for him to miss dinner several nights in a row. No one even came to bring me out; Minseok brought me a microwaved dinner to my room 3 days in a row, never muttering a word about what was going on. I wasn't allowed to ask either. 

Finally, after 4 days, Jongin came to get me. He smiled as he always did as he brought me to the dining room. Minseok was already there, hovering in the corner by the fireplace. To my surprise, Sehun was already there as well, in his chair at the head of the table.

"I must apologize for my absence," he said, standing when I entered the room. He looked as impeccable as ever. The black trousers he wore and the deep red button down pairing perfectly with his neatly combed jet black hair. "Work has been demanding lately."

I didn't respond as I took my seat. Shortly after, Aneta brought out the dinner. For a moment, I had to recall what day it was, my inner schedule out of whack from the lack of consistency. Today was dumpling soup, Tuesday.

"Today, however," Sehun cont

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter