Chapter 8

Falling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On the edge of the bed, still dressed in office clothes, Seolhyun sat. She knew the clock was ticking. She hasn’t called Yonghwa yet. In his own home, Yonghwa must have been anxiously waiting call from her. Several times Seolhyun heard the house's phone ringing and then stop. The girl had no intention of picking up the phone.

If she could turn the clock. If she could, she wanted the time to play when Taeyeon drove her home. As they sat together, talking warmly, laughing happily, in the car. She wants to have the chance to turn off her phone. If she does that, Yonghwa will not be able to reach her. That way, Taeyeon will not be angry with her.

Seolhyun was pressing the power button on her phone. Exactly as expected, many notifications entered. Seolhyun face looks cynical, she already knows all the notification is from Yonghwa. Though she hopes for notifications from others, it doesn’t seem possible. Seolhyun stares at Taeyeon's name on her contact list.

Seolhyun bit her lip. Seolhyun's finger is desperate to press the button to call Taeyeon. Connected. The feeling she felt was even worse than when she was in the elevator, going to Taeyeon's apartment.

"Hello."

Seolhyun almost threw the phone in surprise. She didn’t think that a phone call from her was answered.

"Tae?"

Silence for a moment. Then, "yes?"

Seolhyun is silent. Her hands twisted the blanket beside her. Her mind was spinning violently and her heart was racing fast. She was asking to herself to make any conversation. Reason that makes sense for her to call Taeyeon at this hour. There was no reason to think of it.

"Seolhyun-ah?"

Seolhyun's hand grasped the phone tighter. "Yes?"

" Why are you calling me?" Taeyeon's voice sounded tired. She's not sounding angry. But clearly the tone sounded enthusiastic.

" I ..." Seolhyun momentarily silent. "I want to say thank you for taking me home earlier."

" You already said that before."

" Umm and sorry about Yonghwa."

The conversation was still quiet. Seolhyun just heard Taeyeon's breath getting heavier.

" Why should You apologize?"

Not the response she expected. But at least Taeyeon didn’t disconnect unilaterally.

" Because well ..." Seolhyun again confused to find an excuse.

"Seolhyun-ah, it's ok."

Seolhyun shook her head. She didn’t know what the word was mean.

" I mean your fiancé called, reminding you to go home on time. Not to ignore your event. I have to agree with him. " Taeyeon sighed heavily. " If you have to go home early, you can say to me. I don’t want to because working, your personal business is neglected. "

Seolhyun's lips were locked tight. She can’t explain that personal business is not important to her. This time, for her, Taeyeon more important. Can’t. There is no way to explain it without making it look very sad and confuse. Seolhyun is silent.

" Night , Seolhyun-ah"

And the conversation is end.

Seolhyun felt her eyes blur. She looked down, still watching her cell phone, considering what she should do.

Not long after that, the phone rang loudly.

Seolhyun stared at the name printed on the screen. Wrinkles on her forehead. Her eyes shone in anger.

" Honey ?"

Hatred began to spread in Seolhyun. Seolhyun never felt that she hated a man so much, as she hates Yonghwa right now. Hearing the voice of a person who is considered to be snatching her happiness.

" What ? Why are you calling again? " She replied rudely.

" Seolhyun, are you crazy?" Yonghwa shouted. " You've been home late lately. Call from me, you turn it off. What are you doing? "

" I'm working." Told Seolhyun. The anger inside her grew bigger.

" Work until eleven?" Yonghwa's voice didn’t seem to believe it.

" Yes , you don’t believe it?"

" That's not it."

"So what?"

" Why turn off my call. " Yonghwa still doesn’t accept it.

" Look , Yong." Seolhyun's cynical. " I'm tired you always get angry with me. I'm tired of you told me this, told me that. I'm so tired. "

There was a sharp jolt of Yonghwa's breath, but Seolhyun didn’t care about it.

" I'm not your daughter. I'm not your sister. I am not someone you have the right to manage as I don’t have my own life. I'm not even your fiancee yet. You hear that, Yong? "

"Seolhyun." Yonghwa snapped. " Don’t be nonsense"

"Which part of my speech is nonsense?. Tell me which part of it? "

Yonghwa is silent, as if he is difficult to answer the questions given by Seolhyun.

The girl laughed. The echoes of ridicule, mixed up in frustration, plus the hatred of Yonghwa and the longing for the other, mixed together. All feelings are stirred, can’t be separated. All the mixed feelings aren’t even understood by Seolhyun.

" We're dating." Yonghwa finally replied. " Doesn’t that mean something to you?"

" Does a boyfriend behave so possessively like you ?. Does a boyfriend keep calling remind to eat vegetables?. Are you crazy, Yong. I'm not a four-year-old. "

Silence back again. Maybe Yonghwa also lost the word because he never suspected that Seolhyun could talk like that.

" Does a boyfriend act over like you today, Yong? You don’t care about the condition of me who may not be able to speak. You keep wanting to be heard. Is that kind of a good boyfriend? "

Still silent.

Seolhyun still talking, "or does a boyfriend say a million times about the engagement to be held soon? Like I can forget it. I can’t possibly forget if you say the same thing over and over again like a tape recorder. Actually, rather than you talking continuously, you better record it, then give it to me. Right? "

"Seolhyun-ah" Yonghwa like to argue. Despair tucked into the sound.

"Or repeated speeches, about how I shouldn’t forget the good day is one of the criteria of a good girlfriend? Is that what a boyfriend does when his lover is stressed with office work and deadlines? "

Not entirely like that. But in this case Seolhyun can’t be honest one hundred percent. At least, she consoled herself, three-quarter of the long sentence she narrated was the truth.

There was a sigh of despair.

"Is that a good boyfriend's attitude?"

" I ..." Yonghwa paused. " I don’t know what should i say, Hyun-ah."

Now Seolhyun is silent. She came down from the side of the bed and was now sitting on the carpet. Leaned against the side of the bed, and closed her eyes.

" I think I just a little panic. And it's brought to you, I'm sorry. " Yonghwa's voice began to re-start.

Seolhyun remained silent. She was still close her eyes, her hands the soft carpet feathers. In the dark even she was easier to imagine Taeyeon's face. Her laugh is loose and like ahjumma. Her soft lips made her look even more attractive. Her nagging when annoyed if there is something that doesn’t match with her wishes. Wrinkles on her forehead as she sees the document seriously. The usual eye rays look cool. But last night, before the call from Yonghwa bothered them, the eyes were so warm.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter