Under The Roof.

[One-shot Series] The Wings of An Angel

Under The Roof.

 

 

The doorbell rang in DBSK’s dorm on an early Sunday morning, waking up, well, only the leader Yunho, because the maknae was still in his deep sleep. Hoping that it was only a mistake, Yunho tried to go back to sleep as he was exhausted by the schedule of the day before, and he still had some events to attend later on. However, his phone rang right afterward, making him curse out loud whoever had the nerve to intrude his precious sleep.

- Annyeonghaseyo. – He sounded quite angry, making the person stutter

- Yunho o-oppa, I’m so so-sorry… but could you open the door for me please? I’m in front of your dorm.

The sweet and familiar voice from the other side of the line made him fully awake

- Of course, Seohyunie. Give me one sec.

 

Seohyun looked at Yunho apologetically when she saw how tired he look upon she entered the apartment.

- Oppa, I am only stopping by to leave you and Changmin oppa some food. I just think no one will notice me at this early hour but I forgot about your schedule.

Yunho shrugged but quickly rubbed her hair when he saw the guilt in her eyes

- It’s a bit too early. – He yawned. – But really, how could I complain when I get free food? You probably have to wake up earlier to do all this. And I’m sure SNSD’s salary is not cheap either.

They broke out to laugh. However, a growl was echoed through the house, interrupting the conversation.

- Hyung, stop your stupid laugh.

The voice sounded clearly sleepy and Yunho was sure that his maknae probably didn’t know what he was doing. Althought it was a bit cruel, Yunho couldn’t wait to see Changmin’s reaction when he knew whose laugh he called stupid. He grinned at his own thought, while Seohyun looked around nervously before turning her gaze back to Yunho

- Oppa, Changmin oppa is home and sleeping? Why did your manager tell me that he had some schedules this weekend and he wouldn’t be in Seoul?

- He did, but it finished sooner than expected so he came back last night.

- I didn’t know … I should have not come and let you both rest. – Seohyun shook her head. – Changmin oppa would still need proper rest after that…

Seohyun was trembling and unable to finish her sentence, and Yunho, being her big brother for so long, instantly reached out and patted her head.

- Shh. No one blames you for the accident, Seohyun-ah. Not me, and not Changmin either. And I’m sure that Changmin won’t complain when he sees the food you bring here.

She covered so that the sound of her giggle wouldn’t escape, but Yunho chuckled loudly when seeing her doing that.

- Really, Seohyunie? You would be the last person whom Changmin will be mad at. I should be the one who worry.

- You should if you keep talking nonstop and…

The mighty Changmin, who finally had woken up and decided to walk out to the common area to scold his hyung, found out that he had done something he regretted, but enjoyed nonetheless.

Seohyun was standing next to Yunho, eye wide-open as Changmin suddenly appeared, looking half sleepy, half awake, and most importantly, shirtless.

- O-oppa… - She exclaimed and immediately turned away and covered her whole face with her hands. She could feel her face burning with heat.

- Changmin! – Yunho snapped. – How dare you!

- Joohyunie. – Changmin abruptly stood up straight when he realized his precious little girl was present. – I’m so sorry.

- Go put on your shirt, now! – Yunho demanded

Changmin followed his hyung’s order, which rarely happened so. However, before he disappeared off the common area, he turned to Seohyun and asked not so quietly

- Joohyun-ah, are you sure that you don’t want to take a look before I put on my shirt? I am confident that my body is better than Kyuhyun’s.

Seohyun was too embrassed to let out any sound, while Yunho took the nearest cushion from the couch and threw it at him

- I am going to kill you, Shim! Chang! Min!

 

When Changmin finished his personal morning routine and entered the living room again, Yunho had already been gone, which left him and Seohyun stare at each other awkwardly, especially after what just happened. He was fully awake and regretted what he said as he wondered if Seohyun would run away due to embarrassment. Scaring her away would be the last thing he wanted to do that morning.

- Oppa. – Seohyun was the one who spoke first, or to be exact, mumbled, without looking at him. – Should we have breakfast now? You must be hungry.

Changmin looked her in awe. He was quite sure that she would say goodbye, and althought she still had avoided his gaze, it was much better than expected.

- Sure. Let me see what we can make.

Seohyun giggled

- It’s all done, oppa.

- Yeah. – He chuckled. – I forgot.

It was not the first time that Seohyun came to DBSK’s dorm and gave them food. Once in a while, she came early in the morning, and made a quick but healthy, ‘Seohyunies’ style’ breakfast for him and Yunho, or more often, she stopped by at night after a visit to her parents and dropped off some homemade side dishes. And at those times, it was all so comforting that it was hard for Changmin to imagine his life without her food, her smile, or simply, her presence.

 

They had breakfast in silence as they were too engrossed in their thought. Seohyun had thought of leaving the food and went back to her dorm, but Yunho had stopped her. He told her that he was sure that Changmin would need some company as being alone was not good for health recovery. And that was more than enough to make Seohyun stay without any hesitation.

- Joohyun-ah. Stop poking at your food.

Seohyun looked up, and surprised when Changmin had finished his portion and was looking at her food hungrily. She chuckled and pushed her dish to his side

- Oppa, take some if you are still hungry.

Changmin looked at the food and then looked at her before shaking his head hesistantly

- You are too skinny. You should eat them all. I’m full.

She gave him an amuse smile, and he sighed in return

- I am still hungry. Fine, I’ll eat half of it and you have to finish the rest?

Seohyun nodded, but Changmin noticed that she gave him almost all of the food on her dish. He furrowed his eyebrows and crossed his arms

- What happen to the always healthy Seohyun, huh?

- I had some already, oppa. Don’t worry.

Changmin put his hand open in front of her, and Seohyun looked at him questioningly

- Where is your vitamin supplement?

- Huh?

- I have to see you have them to make sure that you are still the same healthy Seohyun. – He winked. – Not some one tried to disguise as my angel to seduce me.

- Who knows, oppa?

Seohyun winked at him, but then she blushed deeply. She abruptly stood up to get her bag from the other side of the room while Changmin was chuckling

- Wow, my Joohyunie is really a grown up now.

Seohyun turned around and glared at him.

- Oppa!

- Haha. – He broke out to laugh. – I still remember those times when you ran into our practice room and gave us the vitamin supplement.

- You hated them at first. – She giggled.

- I did. – He nodded and shrugged. – I still kinda do. You have to admit that vitamin supplement doesn’t taste good. Burgers are much better.

Seohyun scrunched her nose. She knew he was teasing her, but still:

- Greasy food is kinda gross. You shouldn’t eat them too much. Once in a while is fine, but not more than that, oppa.

- Fine, fine. – He rolled his eyes, but then quickly chuckled before admitting his true thoughts. – I do miss your vitamin sometimes and yeah, I do cut down on my once favorite food.

They smiled gently at each other. Changmin didn’t know why and since when, but naturally, Joohyun had influenced him a way that he least expected. Even though she usually said that she came to him for advices, little did she or many other know that he also listened to the wise words of the little girl who always matured far beyond her years.

 

Changmin always knew that eating too much was not a good idea, as he sat on the couch and tried his best not to fall asleep. Seohyun was sitting next to him, and trying to write her own song. He peaked at it, and surprised to see that she was working on Baby Steps

- Didn’t that get approved by SM already?

She nodded absent-mindedly. He took a closer look at the paper. It was full of scratch, fixing, and rewriting, which clearly showed that she had been working on it a lot.

- Still the perfectionist, huh?

She nodded and gave him a naughty gaze

- I got that from you, oppa.

Changmin raised his eyebrows.

- Yah! Are you blaming me now? – He pretended to tickle her – I am sure that you are always the picky one ever since the first day we met.

- Am I? – She titled her head and looked at him suspiciously. – How could you even tell that when we first met?

He didn’t answer her question, instead he gave her a mysterious smile.

Truthfully, he couldn’t remember how they first met. She was always there in his journey as SM trainee and later, as DBSK Max Changmin: they trained together, cried and laughed together, and in some senses, grew up together. Like how living as DBSK Max Changmin became a second nature, having her in his life became instinctive. And thus, recalling the exact memories of her required too much effort to the point that it was almost impossible.

 

She continued to work in silence, while Changmin tried to read a self-help book, another thing that somehow he picked up along the way of being too close with Seo Joohyun. However, it was not his favorite genre, so he fell asleep before he realized.

 

Changmin was woken up by some delicious smells. In the kitchen, Seohyun was busy preparing some food. Looking at her back with his mind still half-asleep, he realized how homely Seohyun always made him feel: warm, caring and safe. Seohyun once told him that she felt grateful but guilty whenever he tried to protect her, and at that time, he only rub her hair without saying anything. She probably had not realized how she had always been his little angel, watching, guiding and supporting him with her love.

And so, it wasn’t him being kind. It was him being selfish for wanting her to always, and only be his angel.

 

FLASHBACK

Changmin was laying in his bed when he heard a light knock on his bedroom’s door, but he could care less to open it and face anyone at the time. His hyung had filed to court to leave SM few days ago, and before he fully understood what had been going on, he had stayed at the dorm, moving within the four walls and spent most of his time looking at the ceiling, like it could actually talk and have answers to all of his questions if he just stared at it long enough.

- Changmin oppa. – A soft voice was calling his name

Changmin could immediately tell that it was Seohyun. However, he was really tired and not in the mood to respond, so he kept quiet to pretend that he had slept, in a hope that she would get the cue and leave.

- I want to let you know that I am here. Whenever you need me.

He couldn’t help but rolled his eyes. Someone said that before, he was sure. And look at what was happening. They left. Leaving him alone. And Yunho hyung, if that counted.

Talking about Yunho. His leader also left him, exactly like his other hyung, rotted in his room, while he was busy with all the paperworks and questions with SM. Not that he wanted to blame his only hyung left, but he was resented with everyone, with the whole world even.

- Changmin oppa.

For the first time since they met, Changmin suddenly found Seohyun a bit annoying. Why couldn’t she understand that he needed no one.

- You are never alone.

He snorted

- Look at me right now.

- I am right outside, oppa.

Her voice was so warm and comforting, which was exactly that he had been needed. Yunho’s voice had been distant and hoarse lately. Everyone was too busy with accusing and blaming that they sounded so cold. And so, Changmin stood up from his bed, and moved closer to the door, so that he could have more of that warm voice

- Oppa. I won’t go away.

- Why?

He heard himself ask the question out loud. His voice sounded as if it came from a stranger rather than himself.

- Because you need me. – She sounded soft and calm as if it was the simplest thing in the world. As if they were having a normal conversation.

Changmin wanted to believe in every word that Seohyun said. He wanted to open the door and tell her that it was true, that he needed her and he didn’t want to be left alone. However, he was still confused and cynical, because clearly, he needed his hyung too.

- Then why…?

Suddenly, he felt as if all his strength was drawn out of his body, leaving him tremble and collapse on the floor, and he couldn’t finish his question. He was not sure if Seohyun could understand, but he was not even sure if he wanted her to understand.

- Oppa. – Seohyun hesitated. – Have you tried to ask them that question?

He had not. He was scared. He was scared if they would tell him that they no longer needed or cared about him. Or worst, they had never done so.

- I think they still love you, because love doesn’t stop the moment you choose a different paths.

Changmin listened to her words and tried to think about them. He didn’t know how long he had stayed silence and engrossed in his thoughts, but when he came out of his own world, he knew that hours had passed. He thought that Seohyun must have gone too, because the other side of the door was silent the whole time.

Thus, when Changmin opened the door and saw her looking at him, tired but relieved, with her angelic smile as usual, he was astonished. When she opened her arms and reached out to him, when he saw her eyes start to become watery, only at that moment, he realized that tears started streaming down his checks. He could no longer hold it in and immediately let himself break down in front of her, crying on her petite shoulders, and feeling for the first time in days, the warmth and love he needed.

END FLASHBACK

 

He got out of his thoughts and looked at her, just in time when she turned back to look at him. Their gazes locked, and Changmin knew that he would never find someone as precious to him as the lovely girl in front of him.

- Changmin oppa. I have to go, so I made you something for lunch.

Changmin chuckled

- Joohyun-ah, are you sure that you are not trying to make me gain weight so that no one else will like me?

She pouted.

- I am nice, oppa. Not like you, meanie.

- Of course, my Joohyunie is always an angel.

She giggled, because she didn’t know how serious he was about it.

She is forever his one and only angel.

 

A/N: This happened after chapter 13 in the fic A Date with Seo Joohyun.