The Definition of Happiness

[One-shot Series] The Wings of An Angel

The Definition of Happiness

 

 

It was her worst Christmas. 

 

Seohyun finished her schedule just in time for their date. It passed midnight when she arrived at the quiet park of his building, so she thought that she had missed the chance to spend their first Christmas Eve together. However, when she reached their usual bench, he was not there.

Yonghwa gave her a call when he ended his schedule an hour ago, and told her that he would grab some food for them to enjoy together when they met. She told him that anything would do, really. She meant it. However, he insisted on getting her goguma snacks, and she told him to get her whatever he wanted the most. She remembered that he broked out to laugh and told her that it would be impossible, because the only thing that he wanted to taste was her. Even thinking about his words at the moment made her cheeks blush and her body heat up, so when she heard that, she only told him that she would see him later. When she hang up, he was still laughing wholeheartedly, and magically, she realized that she was smiling, too. 

Her phone rang, pulling her out of her own thoughts. Seohyun picked up with a small smile. It was probably him, because everyone who was closed to her knew that she was going to spend her Christmas with the man she loved. She would tell him to hurry up because she was freezing, and couldn't wait for some grilled gogumas and a cup of chocolate to warm herself, especially her hands up. Or his hands would do the magic trick, too. 

But what she heard destroyed all her imaginations, and her Christmas night.

 

She was devastated. 

Seohyun did not know how she made to the hospital without hitting anyone or anything, when her mind went blank after receiving the call. On the way there, she prayed to God that he would not be that cruel to her on Christmas Eve.

Even when she got to the hallway and saw the familiar faces of CNBLUE members, she still hoped that it was no more than a wicked joke that her Yong-choding had in order to force her to show her true emotions, rather than her usual composure self. However, when Jonghyun stood up and looked at her sorrowfully, her world shattered into millions of pieces. 

- No. 

Seohyun whispered. Her voice was hoarse and sounded strange to her ears. Before she clearly understood anything, she rushed to the operation room. People jumped in to hold her back, and even when she beat them hard, their grips never let loose. 

- Let me see him. 

Seohyun murmured. Tears were streaming down on her face. The whole world seemed so surreal as the thought of not being able to see him forever flashed through her mind. 

 - Please, God. Please!

She was never more genuine when praying to God than that moment for her entire life. Just let him live and she would never ask for anything else.

Suddenly, the operation door opened. Her world instantly became brighter, as Seohyun was sure that she never heard anything more beautiful than what came out from the doctor. 

And she knew that God had heard her.

 

The doctor told them that Yonghwa's brain was injured in the car accident, and they would not know how long it would take him to wake up, or worse, if he even woke up at all. But he did, after nine months of being in the coma. 

For the whole time that Yonghwa was being unconcious, one thing that Seohyun regretted the most was that she did not tell him that she loved him the last time they spoke. If he could never wake up, that would be the biggest regret of her whole life, the one thing that she would never forgive herself for. 

Seohyun made sure to say it everytime she went to the hospital to visit him; but it did not make her feel any less guilty. Thus, when Yonghwa woke up, the first thing she said was that she loved him, very much. And to the utter surprises of everyone in the room, he leaned in and peaked at her lips. 

Even when it was only a gentle touch, Seohyun knew that it was the best kiss that she ever had. 

 

The only bad thing about Yonghwa's recovery was that his mind was in a blank state when he first came back to life. He was like a child, having to learn everything once again, and the only difference was that he learnt them faster.

Since the doctor requested the therapy to start as soon as possible, Seohyun accompanied Yonghwa and his parents to the first session just few days after Yonghwa woke up. When the therapist spoke to Yonghwa and asked him to say something, he looked quite confused. 

His parents tried to talk to him, introducing their names and encouraging him to say mom or dad. However, as Seohyun gently squeezed his hands, he turned to her and smiled

- Go...gu...

He couldn't finish the word, but Seohyun knew what he meant. She bursted out to tears. He looked puzzled because he did not know why she reacted that way, so he decided to speak again, because everytime she said it to him, it always made everything seem so much better, even those bitter medicine and scary needles.

- I love you. 

And it worked, Yonghwa was sure, because she stopped crying and smiled at him. 

 

Few weeks went by, and Yonghwa had recover really well. However, there was one thing that bothered Seohyun. He couldn't remember her name.

He learnt things really fast, and many pieces of his memories also came back. He remembered his family, CNBLUE, his friends, and even some of his songs, but he could not remember her name, even though everyone had tried so hard to help him do it. Actually, it was more like he couldn't match her name with her face: he remembered her, and could speak the word Seohyun. However, he was never able to call her by her name when they met. He always called her by some random names that he could think of, and mostly, "sweet". And the only thing that kept Seohyun from loosing hope on him remembering them once again was that he always told her that he loved her, multiples times when they stayed together. 

That day, Seohyun went with Yonghwa to the therapy session again. It was almost Christmas, and she really hoped that the therapist could help him to learn her name by then, because last Christmas was disastrous and she wanted something better this year. 

The therapist tried to teach him few common words, and he learnt them with his usual speed. However, when he had troubles with the world "happiness". 

- Happiness is what you feel when you are happy, like when you can have some candies. 

Yonghwa shook his head. That was not what he recalled when he heard the word "happiness".

- You don't agree? Could you tell me why? - The therapist patiently asked

- It is not right. 

Seohyun looked at him surprisingly. She spoke gently

- How could you know that it was not right? 

- Because it is not. - He pouted. - It is not happiness. 

Seohyun gigled. Her Yong-choding probably was a really cute kid, when he was actually one. The therapist asked again:

- Could you tell me what your happiness is? 

He instantly turned to Seohyun

- Her. 

Seohyun startled. Her eyes became teary and she had to try her best to not cry out loud. Yonghwa was confused at her reaction, but after so many times, he knew the magic trick. He pulled her into a hug:

- I love you, Happiness. 

Seohyun chuckled. She knew that even when he could not call her by her name, her best Christmas had came early.

- I love you too, my happiness.

She returned it, with a kiss on the cheek for the bonus. 

 

The End.

 

A/N: This story is a gift for iBelieveYSIR for the continuous support for my other fic: A Date with Seo Joohyun.

To iBelieveYSIR: I hope you enjoy this one, even though it is not very long. Merry Christmas!