Uneasy Thorns

Diary of Zhang Yixing

‘ANOTHER SHOOTOUT: 15 DEAD’

 

Yixing looked at the newspaper’s headlines as he leaned back on the wall. His eyes dropped to the picture of the gory scene that was covered in police tape and black body bags. “How awful…” he whispered, chilling as he read the newspaper.

‘Yesterday night was believed to be another shot out between the infamous Oh and Kim gangs after what seemed to be a drug deal. From a eyewitness account, the source says that Kim members arrived at the scene to retrieve drugs from another gang, who is likely to be the Lee gang, when the Oh gang surprised them by appearing. It is uncertain if this information should be trusted. However it is true that the Lee gang was involved as cameras captured their vehicles speeding down the roads. No members of theirs were shot.

As police investigate, the people have demanded for a stop to these gangs who now control our once peaceful home, Seoul. Rumor has it that police have managed to get word from Oh Sehun, the Oh leader, that there will be no more public interferences from the Oh Gang; the public will be kept away from dangerous work as long as the police are off their case. If this rumor is true, we hope the police will think of a wise way to go through for the sake of the citizens.’

“Oh… Sehun…” Yixing brushed his fingertips on that name, studying it a bit. “So he’s the one making a ruckus.” he whispered, before shifting to the blurry picture of the man. It was a tall gentleman whose facial features were blurred and half shadowed from his fedora hat. However, just looking at the picture still sent chills down Yixing’s spine.

It was horrifying to think that someone that dangerous was actually alive out there. Possibly lurking among them all, just watching as they panic and whisper in fear of him. The man probably was sitting down and drinking coffee as the newspaper made everyone jump in fear. It was crazy to think about.

“HYUNG! HYUNG! HYUNG!!” a loud voice cried over the jingling sound of the front entrance.

Yixing looked up to see a red haired boy bounce over to the register. “Oh, Chanyeol!” he greeted with a smile. He set the newspaper down. “You’re here! So early as well.” he muttered the last part as he checked his time. It was about 4 in the afternoon, four hours after Yixing opened his shop. Nothing too big happened, besides the news. Other than that, it was just the flowers and Yixing.

“I missed you too much to come later~” Chanyeol reached over the counter to pull Yixing into a hug. “Besides, I bet it wasn’t so busy.” he added as he ruffled Yixing’s hair before letting the florist go.

A shrug answered. “I mean I just opened up. I’m sure I’ll get a few customers soon.” Yixing answered as he looked back down to finish his notes. He was currently jotting down some ideas to liven up the place, something to take away the gloom.

“Ah, you still have this up?”

The tiny florist looked up to meet with Chanyeol’s finger pointing at the painting. He nodded, smiling slightly. “Of course. You painted it just for me. How could I not hang it up?” he asked, before looking back down.

Chanyeol was quiet for a bit before looking at his friend. “It’s funny because my friend was just asking me if I could paint a peony for him, except white.” he chuckled. “I said of course, as long as he pays me to do it. Supplies aren’t cheap. Then he threatened to kill me so I’m doing it for free.” The last part made the taller one laugh nervously.

However, Yixing didn’t. “Well, your friends seems to like dark humor…” he commented, as he set his pen down. His eyebrows knitted together to make a frown. “I don’t like that friend of yours.”

A snort came from Chanyeol. “You don’t like many of my friends. You always say they’re too dark, which is funny because you are just as dark.” he responded, pointing a finger at Yixing.

The smaller one blinked, confused. “Me? I am not…” he said quietly.

“Yes, you are. You have a whole room of red peonies where you just sit in silence and dance. To me, that’s… Woah…” Chanyeol trailed off as he took glimpse of the newspaper. He gently pulled the paper to him, to grab it from the ends to read it thoroughly. “This is… Surprising…”

Yixing nodded as he watched his friend read. “Horrifying it isn’t it?” he whispered. He sighed, taking a seat on the stool. “If only these wars stop… Seoul wouldn’t be such a bad place. I’m tired of seeing innocent kids getting shot out in the streets with these ‘gang members’ of theirs… It’s so sad… Right?” Yixing took a look at Chanyeol, who only stared back.

Something in that stare looked a bit dark, as if it could debate on what he just said but wanted to keep quiet. “Yeah. Innocent.” Chanyeol gave a smile, his eyes shining with joy. “I kind of wonder what goes on during those shoot outs, ya know?” he leaned on the counter, resting on his palm. “Just see what’s all this commotion, what they’re actually dealing with for us…. Citizens.” he hummed.

“Why would you wonder about that?” Yixing asked, a bit frightened on the look Chanyeol was giving. “Isn’t it best to not bother with what they’re up to? It’s already bad seeing they kill people and have them do their deals for their own need…” he argued.

Chanyeol stare before laughing loudly. He slapped the desk as his body reacted to his booming laughter. “You’re so funny! So so funny, hyung!” he cried in between breaths.

Yixing, however, was not laughing. He watched silently as his friend laughed away. It was confusing to see Chanyeol be so curious about what these gangs do and why he found it so funny when he should be horrified. But it was best to leave it alone… It wasn’t his place to question for an answer.

When Chanyeol calmed down, he took a look at his nice watch. “Oh. Looks like I need to get going. I promised I’d take my partner out for dinner.” He said, huffing in small giggles. He ran a hand through his slick hair, taking breaths in to stop his continuous laughter. “I’m sorry for laughing so much. You’re just so innocent to the dark.” he excused.

The florist wasn’t offended. He smiled kindly, understanding. “That’s what you think.” he answered He turned around to cut a peony off it’s stem. When the head fell gently on his palm, Yixing turned back around to a confused Chanyeol. He leaned forward, placing the flower on the tuxedo’s pocket. “I think I have an idea of what goes on in the dark.” he said gently, as he fixed Chanyeol up. Yixing flicked his eyes to meet Chanyeol’s surprised look. A small smile came out. “But yes. I am innocent to the dark.” he agreed as he leaned back.

Chanyeol looked at the peony before at his friend’s kind face. “You really are something, hyung.” he joked, leaning to pat Yixing’s hair. “I’ll be going now. Save me another flower?” he hummed as he walked to the exit.

A small ‘hum’ answered in place of the yes. Yixing watched his friend step outside and walk off to his car. It was funny. Ever since Yixing met Chanyeol, there was never a moment when he saw the other in casual clothes. It was always something of high fashion or brand. Something bloody rich.

There were times when Chanyeol asked Yixing if anyone was bothering him, that he’ll take care of them for him… Report them to the police he said. However, by the next week, the people who Yixing would complain about were missing… Some even murdered horribly... Missing limbs... Missing eyeballs.. tounges ripped out... Just horrific.

It was strange and wrong to be scared to talk to your own friend about people you just couldn’t stand, but to Yixing… it didn’t matter. Chanyeol was a scary person. He was just an intimidating guy who could put Yixing off sometimes.

How the two met? It wasn’t anything too special. Just Yixing letting a wounded Chanyeol sleep at his apartment after finding him out in the streets roughed up. Yixing never knew what really happened that night, because all Chanyeol would say was ‘it was just a bad night for him’. It wasn’t enough to be an answer but Yixing kept it as that, since the answer could possibly be even worse.

Yixing sighed as he slumped forward. It was so quiet around here. So quiet… So gloomy. Yixing looked around to see dust nearly collecting by the corners, signaling it was time to dust. He stepped off his stool as he grabbed his duster from the drawers. He walked around the counter to the small closet that hid itself behind vines and leaves. Carefully, he opened the door to reveal the small space with a ladder possibly his size. Yixing pulled it out, watching out for the vines and leaves.

Once out, the wobbly ladder was set up to stand tall as Yixing climbed it up. By the second to last step, Yixing stopped. He took his duster to dust the corners, when the bells screamed out. He didn’t turn to look who it was, as he dusted. “I’ll be right with you!” he assured, dusting off the corner. Pieces of dust fell off, touching Yixing’s face.

Out of disgust, Yixing blew roughly upward, waving his hand around as if he was mad. The rough movement made the ladder beneath him, tremble, threatening to give up. However, not even a second more, the ladder stood still. It wasn’t ready to give up, it was just still as soild. The florist noticed this. A small frown came over his face as he looked down to meet eyes with a pair of dark ones.

It was that man from yesterday. The strange man who seemed attracted to his painting.

“O-Oh… Hello.” Yixing said, awkwardly. He watched the man give him a look before tipping his chin up to the part which needed dusting. The florist looked back up, before realizing what the man was saying. “Oh right. Thank you.” he whispered, as he dusted quietly.

It was quiet, besides the sound of dusting and birds. Yixing felt a bit shy with the man beneath him watching his every move. It seemed to him that he wasn’t going to be dusting anything else after this. Once the spot was clean, Yixing looked back down to catch the man’s blank look. “I’m done now. Thank you.” he bowed his head as he tried to make his way down.

With his shaky footing, it wasn’t a real surprise that the florist allowed himself to slip up. Yixing nearly gasped as he began to slip down. However, the man managed to catch him before he slipped all the down. He looked at the customer’s look to see a blank stare.

“You need to be more careful, Mister Zhang. It would be ashamed if you died right here.” the man muttered lowly, as he looked into Yixing’s eyes. He set Yixing to his feet, looking down at the other. “Get a new ladder while you’re at it. It seems out of balance.”

Yixing looked at his ladder, somewhat seeing what the other was telling him. “Y-Yeah. I’ll see about it. Thank you.” he smiled at the man. The two just looked at each other awkwardly, before Yixing rushed past him. “S-So! What brings you back? What kind of flower would you like today?” he asked.

The man walked up to the register as he gazed around. His eyes found their way back onto the painting. He quietly mentioned for the same flowers with a small motion towards the painting.

The florist looked at the painting, a bit surprised. “Ah, the same ones again? Alright. Would you like ten again?” he asked as he walked to his shelf of bouquets to give to the man.

“No. Nine.”

“Nine?” Yixing was a bit surprised but it wasn’t that big of a deal. Besides, it wasn’t his money. He took a bouquet, before counting the flowers out. There were ten just like he thought, so he pulled one out. The left over one was placed beside the other bouquets, looking quiet sad. However, Yixing didn’t pay attention as he walked to the cash register. “That’ll be $90, sir.” he smiled.

The man pulled out the exact amount, handing it by hand. His eyes looked at the nine peony bouquet as it rested in Yixing’s arms.

Yixing put the money in, making sure he didn’t have any change for the man. Thankfully he didn’t. He looked at his customer, smiling. “Alright, here you go,” he handed over the bouquet, carefully. “I hope you enjoy them.”

In response, the man held the flowers close to his chest as if it was something he cherished well. His eyes shone with sorrow, as he looked at the beautiful flowers.“I will.” he muttered. He looked up at Yixing. “Thank you.” he muttered as he headed out.

The florist watched the man go, feeling a bit uneasy with how the man was. It seemed as if the other was just dripping the tears of madness or darkness. With an attractive face like his, it would surely be unnoticable, but to Yixing… It couldn’t be any more obvious.

How would he know? He was just a florist…

But he knew.
 

Because there was a time when Yixing was just like that.




 

Dear Diary,

 

Chanyeol came today. However, he seemed a bit odd. He gave me an uneasy feeling. Sometimes, I worry for him. I wonder if he possibly was under the influence of drugs. Possibly crack or . Hopefully he gets better. I would hate to see him become a methhead. Speaking of uneasy feelings, the same man came today. Much earlier this time. He wore a blank look throughout the store, but once I handed him those flowers, his look became that… of small puppy. He looked at those flowers as if he owed his everything to it, as if it was someone he missed. Probably his mother… Who knows? The man has a story in which I may never know about. I should rest. Maybe today wasn’t such a busy day, but I’m sure tomorrow will be… Goodnight, diary. Sleep well.

 

CLOSE, Zhang Yixing