Chapter 3

Love Line

It’s been a few days since I signed up for the talent show. I take out my crumpled up flyer from my bag again.

‘Talent Show on the 25th! Be there!’

What am I going to do? I haven’t written anything new in a while and the show is in a few weeks. I look towards my desk and open a drawer. I take out Mina’s handkerchief and play with it in my hands. I washed it the other day, but when I texted Mina all I got was, “I’m really busy lately, but I’ll get back to you!”

She never got back to me.

Even when I go to the performing arts building I try to find her, but no luck. Is she avoiding me?

One day, I’m walking out of my dance class when I see Jihyo walking by.

“Jihyo!”

“Oh Jeongyeon! How is your song coming along?” She smiles.

“Oh umm, it’s going ok I guess, I haven’t written much lately. But, I called you because I’ve been trying to reach Mina for the past few days, have you seen her?”

“Oh Mina? Yeah we had a class together just yesterday. She seemed really tired, probably from practicing. Poor girl had a few bruises on her legs. I told her to tone down her practices but she said she was fine. She’s probably in the practice room right now.”

“Really? I’ve been checking there and I never see her.”

“Hmm well maybe you’re just barely missing her.”

“Oh wow, I just want to return her handkerchief..”

“Is that all you want to do huh?” Jihyo giggles.

“What are you talking about?” I stare at her intently.

“It’s written all over your face Jeongyeon.” She smiles at me and grabs my shoulders, “I’ll be rooting for you!” She takes her hands off and walks away.

“What are you talking about!?” I yell out nervously.

“For the talent show duh!” She says laughing.

I take out my phone and read Mina’s texts again. I put down my phone and look at Jihyo who is still walking away. Does she know my feelings for Mina? Am I being that obvious?

Bzz bzz

I take a look at my phone and see a new text from Mina.

“OMG I’M SO SORRY.” Is all it says.

I smile as I type a reply.

“Sorry for what? Lol”

“I never told you when I was going to be free! I’m in the practice room right now! Do you have time to stop by?”

I smile and text her that I’m actually in the performance building now and that I’m heading over.

I take a few deep breaths and walk down the stairs to the practice room. When I get there I peek through the window and see Mina sitting down with a towel over her head waiting.

“Hey there.” I say as I open the door.

“Oh my gosh Jeongyeon, I’m so sorry, I’ve been so busy with practice that I keep forgetting to text you!” She says as she starts to stand up.

“Oh no sit down! You look exhausted, please sit!”

“In that case, sit next to me! I feel bad for not talking to you, I just lost track of everything.”

“It’s ok, besides it’s not like I was thinking about you all the time.” I say nervously.

I look down at Mina’s long slender legs. At first I was just in awe of how beautiful she was in her outfit, but then I noticed all the bruises Jihyo was talking about. They were all over, you could tell how hard Mina was working. It kind of made me feel bad for not writing anything in a while.

“Sorry you have to see me this way, I just finished practicing for the talent show.”

I look at Mina as she opens her water bottle and starts taking big gulps, and I can see the sweat roll down her neck.

“Guess it’s my turn to see you all sweaty huh? Let me return the favor.”

I take out the handkerchief and get closer to Mina, as I wipe the sweat off her face. Once again my nose is filled with the sweet scent of Mina’s lavender perfume. I look down and see Mina staring into my eyes. My heart starts to beat faster and faster in this silent practice room. I quickly sit back down and look away from Mina.

“Here you go.” I extend my arm her way and hand her the handkerchief.

“Oh right, thanks. I guess you kind of washed this for nothing, now that it has sweat all over it again.” She laughs.

When she grabs the handkerchief her hand touches mine ever so slightly and I can feel her soft skin. I look at her and all I want to do is tell her how I feel.

“Don’t worry about it, it’s your handkerchief anyway, it should be ok if it’s your own sweat.” I laugh softly.

“After I was done practicing, I saw a text from Jihyo that said you were here and wanted to return my handkerchief. Good thing I texted you when you were still around.” She says as she wipes off more sweat.

“Wait, Jihyo texted you?”

Oh great, now I know for sure she knows how I feel.

“Yeah she did. Hey, why didn’t you ever text me again if you were just waiting around for me?”

“Well you said you were busy so I didn’t want to disturb you too much. I’m in this talent show too so I have an idea of how hard you must be working. I especially know now that I see all your bruises, are you ok?” I look at her worried.

“Oh yeah I’m fine, don’t worry about it too much, with more practice these bruises won’t happen as often.” She says looking at her legs, “Hey, enough about me, what about you? How is your song coming along?” Mina looks at me with her eyes wide open and smiling, as if she was genuinely interested in the song I was writing.

“I have some of it done, I’m still writing for the most part. I’m trying to figure out a chorus at the moment.” I sigh.

“Why the long face? I’m sure you’ll be fine.” She says reassuring me.

“I’m sort of having writers block right now, and the show is a few weeks away so I’m kind of worried about it.”

“Mind if I check out what you have right now?”

My mind jolts as I hear that. Can I really show her what I have? Would she figure out that it was about her?

“It’s in my dorm room at the moment, maybe some other time.” I laugh nervously.

“Aww ok I guess.” She says pouting, she then checks her phone, “Ahh looks like I got to go home now, I need to shower and I have another class soon.”

We both get up and head out of the performing arts building together. As we walk down the steps I look to the side and Mina is keeping to herself. Before I can say something to break the silence Mina grabs my hand.

“Jeongyeon! I like you.”

“Wait what!?” I exclaim.

“I like you! You’re fun to talk to, and I want to get to know you better! It would be great if we could be better friends!” She says with her wide gummy smile.

“Oh as a friend, you scared me for a second.” I let out a sigh of relief, because I have no idea how I would react if it was for any other reason.

“Are you saying you wouldn’t want to date me?” She says pouting.

“I…ummm…it’s not that…I just”

“I’m just messing with you.” She laughs and swings my arm as she’s still holding my hand, “Let’s grab lunch tomorrow? It’ll be my treat!”

“Lunch? I’m sure I could do that.” 

“Yay! It’s a date!” She raises her arms in the air, with her hand still holding onto mine.

“A date!?”

“Yeah!” She smiles and finally lets go of my hand, “I’ll see you tomorrow Jeongyeon! I’ll text you this time I promise!” She says as she gets further and further away waving her arms in the air.

I get home with different thoughts running through my mind. I sit down at my desk and look at my hand that Mina held for so long. I pick up a pen and get to writing.

To be continued...

I want you
I secretly think about you all day
I wanna
Walk with you
On our love line
With our hands held
Tell me you feel the same way
With you
I’m loving loving loving loving
Loving that love line

weonhajana
mollae haru jongil ni saenggangman hajana
neowa hamkke
georeogago shipeo neowa naye
dulmane Love line
du soneul kkok japgo
malhaejweo geudae nawa gateun maeumirago
neowa hamkke
I’m loving loving loving loving
Loving that love line

원하잖아
몰래 하루 종일 니 생각만 하잖아
너만 볼래
망설이지 마 붙잡아줘
둘만의 Love line
두 손을 꼭 잡고
말해줘 그대 나와 같은 마음이라고
너와 함께
I’m loving loving loving loving
Loving that love line