I like ours the most - i

no more words left to spare

September is a hectic month, so full of artist comebacks and show guestings and photoshoots that they barely have a spare minute to breathe, let alone plan something for Nayeon’s birthday party. Jihyo’s every minute is spent travelling between the recording studio and filming locations, Sana’s left to deal with the rush of school children on trips after their Summer holidays and Nayeon is caught in the middle of it all, stuck all day in the studio, one idol group blurring into the next. Even Jeongyeon and Mina barely get a chance to see each other, both shooting for TV cameos and music videos and CFs. It’s a miracle Jihyo gets the chance to call at all.

“I’m glad the kids have some free time,” Jihyo says on the other line, bundled up in one of Nayeon’s sweatshirts and nursing a cup of tea - one from the set they’d gotten her for her concert, if the tag had anything to say about it.

“Me too,” Jeongyeon sighs out, peering up at the ceiling and wondering if Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were still up at such a late hour. “Tzuyu’s been studying hard. Chaeyoung and Dahyun have been keeping her company while they brainstorm.”

“Have they come up with anything yet?” Jihyo asks, shifting on the screen as a fresh-faced Sana joins her on the couch, clad in a jumper that looks too familiar to be a coincidence.

Jeongyeon narrows her eyes, careful not to raise her voice louder than she should, worried that she’d wake Mina from the longest sleep she’s had in days. “Is that my jumper?”

“I stole it from Minari,” Sana explains with a cheeky smile, cuddling up against a pliant Jihyo, who doesn't seem to mind how Sana snakes around her. “I didn't know it was yours, Jeongyeonie~”

Jeongyeon opens to ask for it back, but Jihyo cuts in with a look that silences them both, and Jeongyeon is left to wonder if Jihyo is really younger than them. “Can we please get back to the task at hand?”

“Right,” Jeongyeon shakes her head, brushing her hair out of her eyes and wondering what her managers would think if she just got rid of her bangs all together. “Chaeyoung and Dahyun both gave a few ideas when they dropped down for dinner earlier.”

“Are you adopting them?” Sana jokes before Jihyo can speak, only to get distracted by Jihyo’s small hiss, burning her tongue on her tea. Sana coos and urged Jihyo to look at her, and Jihyo seems to be happy under Sana’s attention… Which would be cute, if only Jeongyeon wasn’t the one watching.

“E- hem ,” Jeongyeon lifts her brows, and at least Jihyo blushes, shrugging away from Sana’s touch. Sana lets out a grumpy huff, but burrows back against Jihyo’s shoulder, hands lost in the pockets of her sweatshirt.

“Okay, okay, we’re focused. What did Chaeyoung and Dahyun talk to you about?” Jihyo glances back towards the hallway when they all hear a noise, holding their breaths for a moment before they speak again.

“Chaeyoung suggested a princess day, where you two take Nayeon out for a spa day before joining us for dinner at a nice restaurant later in the evening. Dahyun...” Jeongyeon pauses when she feels Mina’s head nuzzle against her back, unable to help her smile at her pleased noise, seeming to be satisfied that Jeongyeon was still there. Jihyo smirks. Jeongyeon flips her off. “Dahyun suggested a surprise birthday party at your apartment. Small, intimate, away from the public’s eyes.”

“The spa day will have a lot less preparation involved,” Sana admits, her cheeks puffing out briefly in thought. “But the thought of people trying to follow us around all day is quite unappealing. I know Nayeon wouldn't want that, and neither would Jihyo. Besides, I want this to be special. ”

Jihyo hums softly in agreement, pursing her own lips in thought as Sana wriggles about to get comfortable, resting her chin on top of Jihyo’s head. “That leaves buying decorations and food.”

“We’ll sort it,” Jeongyeon declares at the look of worry Sana and Jihyo share, seeming to consider their own packed schedules. Jeongyeon knows of her own schedule, but she’s sure she can boss Dahyun and Chaeyoung around a little easier with Tzuyu, Mina and Momo on her side. She lifts a hand at Jihyo’s skeptical look. “I promise.”

“And Nayeon unnie?” Jihyo asks, lifting her brows. A whole morning to keep Nayeon away from the apartment, a daunting mission in itself when all Nayeon wants to do is take naps all day.

Jeongyeon sighs and resigns herself to her fate, knows better than to think she can handle Chaeyoung, Dahyun and Momo when they’re hopped up on the excitement of the day. “I’ll sort her, too.”

Jihyo and Sana hang up then, hurried and rushed as Nayeon’s voice sounds from their room, and Jeongyeon sinks into the bed, ruffling her hair and wondering what she got herself into. Still, Mina shifts behind her, an arm winding around her waist and a sleepy kiss pressed to her shoulder, and suddenly things don’t feel quite as daunting anymore.