07. DEAR ERIC

Burnout

"Slice the spring onions diagonally and add to the top..."

Buzz. Buzz.

Eric shifts his position from the sofa and ignores the buzzing of his phone from the table. His eyebrows meet at the center of his forehead as he tries his hardest to focus on what he was watching. The woman on TV is now slicing spring onions while a pot bubbled right beside her on the stove. Thinking if he's done this dish before, Eric reaches out for the remote to adjust the volume of the television.

"To better hear what she's saying." Eric mutters to himself whilst pressing the volume button.

More like to block all other sound, Eric.

Eric sighs as he hears his mind talking back at him. Rolling his eyes, he goes back to trying to understand what the girl on TV was saying, she was now stirring the pot on the stove and explaining about different kinds of soups.

Buzz. Buzz.

Eric kicks the pillow lying on his feet, it flew up and he rises from where he was laying down to catch it. Lying back down on the sofa, he stuffs the pillow on his face.

Buzz. Buzz.

"Shut up." Eric says, his voice muffled by the pillow that he was holding on his face.

Buzz. Buzz.

"You stupid little--" Eric says sitting up suddenly from the sofa, about to throw the pillow towards the cellphone lying on the table beside him. His thoughts get cut off as the sound of somebody punching in the keys to the door lock sounded from the outside of his door. He looks up from where he was sitting, pillow in the air, as Hyemi comes in with a bag in hand.

She turns around and sees his position, she chuckles, "What's up with you?" she says as she removes her shoes and places it on the shoe rack near the door.

Eric lowers the pillow down on the sofa and shakes his head, "Nothing." He gives her a smile, "Why so early?"

Hyemi shrugs and walks towards him, placing the bag on the other sofa beside Eric, "We finished early today." She gives him a sheepish smile, "But, I'm going out again with the girls later." She gives Eric a grin, "Will that be okay with you?"

Eric nods his head, "That's not a problem. Go.' He says taking the remote from the sofa and switching the channel of the television.

Hyemi gives him a huge smile and then walks towards the fridge, "How about you? Aren't you going out tonight?" She says while taking a pitcher of water and pouring it on a glass.

Eric looks up and scrunches his eyebrows, "Where am I suppose to go?"

Hyemi chuckles, "Isn't today Hyesung's birthday?"

Eric groans internally. So much for avoiding his cellphone.

Shrugging, Eric lies back down on the sofa, "I guess. Not sure if he's having a celebration today though."

Hyemi takes her bag from the sofa, "He is." She says cheerfully. Eric looks up from the sofa, a surprise expression crossing his features, she smiles at him, "I met him downstairs while I was parking. He's on the way to his car and he told me I can come if I wanted to."

Eric stares at Hyemi, "What did you tell him?"

"I told him I couldn't as I was going out with the girls, but I wished him a Happy Birthday though." She says shaking her head and then smiling brightly, "You should come to his birthday, we both can't come." Hyemi says walking towards their room.

Eric shrugs and looks back at the television.

"Besides," Hyemi says standing by the hallway, "He's your bestfriend."

Eric sits down on the sofa, turning to look at Hyemi's direction, she was smiling at him and wiggling her eyebrows.

Eric sighs.

"Oh wait. I almost forgot." Hyemi says as she walks towards him again, bag still in hand. She rummages inside her bag and takes a white envelope from inside, she hands it over to Eric, "Hyesung told me to give you this." She chuckles, "Actually, he asked if it was okay to give you this." she shakes her head, "He's always so shy around me."

Eric stares at the envelope on Hyemi's hand and then at Hyemi's face.

She laughs, walks over towards the table and places the envelope on top of it beside Eric's cellphone, "Read it." she says giving him a smile, "It's been a while." she added, "I'm not sure what happened to you guys but I think you should read that and go to his birthday." she turns towards their room again, "You can't avoid him forever Eric." Hyemi says as she opens the door to their room.

"Who says I'm avoiding him?" Eric says, looking at the envelope and then at Hyemi.

Hyemi purses her lips, "No one. But baby, it's quite obvious." She gives him a smile and then enters the room, closing the door behind her.

Eric sighs and looks back at the envelope lying on top of the table. He glances towards his cellphone which stopped buzzing awhile ago.

What was the point?

It's already difficult as it is.

Eric lays back down on the sofa and stares at the television screen, trying to absorb what he was watching. It took him a while to realize he was watching the Powerpuff Girls and not one of his favorite shows. Sighing and cursing internally, Eric sits down, takes the remote and turns off the television. He looks at the envelope again, breathing heavily.

Biting his lower lip, he picks it up.

Eric. It said. 

On Hyesung's handwriting.

He lifts his hand to touch the dried ink and felt his heart thump madly on his chest.

Eric could only chuckle at himself. A hand writing of your name makes you feel like this? What more if it's a letter?

But he misses Hyesung so much...

Sighing heavily, he rips the envelope apart and opens the note that was inside it.

Dear Eric. It said.

Eric's eyes sting with tears.

"Hold it together, damn it." Eric mutters to himself.

Dear Eric,

I know. I know.

I shouldn't be the one giving you a present when it's my birthday. But this is not a present, or well, I think not.

I couldn't help myself, Eric. These days it seems, I couldn't help myself very much when it comes to you.

How have you been? It's been a while. A lot of things have happened and I truly have missed your company. I thought that after everything, we'd be better, we'd be okay at least. But I guess it's not possible after all.

I'm really sorry for causing you pain. I'm really sorry for causing both of us pain. I'm really sorry for everything.

There's so much I want to tell you but, I guess it's not possible anymore, what with what happened between us. I just really hope that, in time, we can remain to be friends, not only because we are Shinhwa, but, because we are Eric and Hyesung.

Do you remember when we first met? I do. Recently, I can't seem to forget that moment. I can still see you in my mind's eye, very clearly, like you're right infront of me. It's as if it's happening.

A tear trickles down Eric's cheeks.

Can you see it Eric?

Hyesung was sitting by himself in one corner, his beautiful face confused at the loud music, and the number of people around him. He lowered his head, his shoulders low and his fingers intertwined.

He could remember very clearly he was standing with a couple of friends and he overheard that this new kid was brokenhearted. Eric looked at him and his heart prickled at how he looked like sitting there...all alone.

So he gathered his strength and did what he usually doesn't do.

He walked towards Hyesung and introduced himself.

Can you hear the music?

He could. It was loud, they were playing the dance hits that day and several people screamed and shouted and raised their glasses.

He didn't really cared about all of them though. What he cared about that very moment was this boy who was sitting beside him and was animatedly telling him stories about his first weeks at the States. Hyesung's eye lit up as he talked, and Eric felt comfortable with his company to the point he forgot he was the one who invited his friends over (who were now looking at them shaking their heads)... it felt as if, he was right where he should be.

Can you smell the air?

It smelt of cigarette and different kinds of liquor. But to Eric, it smelt of Hyesung's perfume and the promise of the start of a wonderful friendship.

Several tears fell down on Eric's cheeks. He bit his lower lip at the memory of Hyesung's laugh, the feel of his touch and the warmth of his company. A smile spread on his face remembering Hyesung's silliness when they're together, and how wonderful it felt like to be in his presence.

He looks back at the letter and breathes.

I remember them all. I can smell and hear and feel everything. And whenever I do, I wish for time to go back to where it once was. But it can't, and that's okay.

You know why? Because what's important is that you were by my side all these years. That I was lucky enough that I was never alone right after our first meeting because you were always there and you always believed in me. That whenever I felt troubled or is in trouble, there is always you I can lean on to, my support, my friend...my bestfriend.

You are my person. My hero. The love of my life.

And you will remain so.

I'm never planning to leave your side, Eric. No matter what my role is in your life. I will stand by you.

If you will let me.

Or you know what? Maybe even if you don't.

I've read that there is that one love that will burn your soul forever.

I think for mine, this is it.

It's you.

So I will be here Eric.

Always constant.

Never leaving.

Forever loving you, as you did with me.

I love you so much more than to the moon and back.

Hyesung

Eric looks up from the letter and sniffs. He raises his hand and felt the wetness of his face from the many tears that have fallen and is still falling from his eyes.

He stood up from the sofa, folds the letter carefully and places it in his pocket.

Then without further ado, he goes to the kitchen.

Wiping his tears, he opens the fridge.

* * * * * *

It was already 10 in the evening and the place he rented where jam packed with the people he invited. Everywhere there were people eating, drinking and chatting in their own little corners. Hyesung walked over to the bar and ordered his favorite drink. Smiling, the bartender mixes him his request and slides the drink towards him. Hyesung sits by the war and decides to people watch, smiling at people who were raising their glasses towards him, patting him on the shoulders, hugging him, shouting their birthday greetings and those who were also smiling at him at several corners of the room. He spots Dongwan and Junjin laughing at one corner, Junjin animatedly telling Dongwan something.

As if he felt his gaze upon him, Dongwan turns around and looks at him.

Hyesung raises his glass towards him, Dongwan gives him a smile and turns his attention back to Junjin.

Smiling brightly, Hyesung turns to look for Andy and Minwoo and spots them drinking with a couple of their friends, laughing loudly in their corner of the room.

Hyesung breathes in and out heavily.

Everyone were here, except for one.

He wonders how the presence of one person could change what he feels about everything today.

Turning towards the bar, Hyesung leans and bows his head, staring at his drink.

The lights suddenly turns off.

His senses alert, Hyesung swivels from his chair and tries to adjust his eyes from the darkness as quickly as he can.

"Happy Birthday..."

Hyesung laughs loudly.

Junjin walks towards him holding a cake in hand, with a candle lit brightly in the middle while the rest of their members gather around him along with the people he invited to come to his celebration.

"Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday..."

The crowd were all singing together, their voices sounded through the whole venue.

Junjin stops right infront of him, smiling brightly, obviously excited about the surprise.

The candle illuminates the faces of Minwoo, Dongwan and Andy, all giving him wide grins and prompting him to make a wish and blow the candle.

Hyesung closes his eyes.

"Hey, Eric!"

Hyesung's eyes flies open as he turns towards his left side.

Eric walks into the room and turns to look at him.

Hyesung grins at him.

Eric grins right back.

Turning to Junjin, a tear escapes his eyes as he leans down and blows his candle.

His wish was already granted.

The crowd screams as the lights turn back on, Hyesung hastily wipes his face and gives everyone a grin. Mouthing thank you to everyone his eyes can reach.

Junjin places the cake on the bar behind him and gives him a hug, "Happy Birthday, Hyung."

Then came Minwoo, "Happy Birthday, Hyesungie~"

Then Andy, "Happy Happy Happy Birthday, Hyung!"

And then Dongwan, "Happy Birthday, Hyesung."

He gave them all tight hugs and thanked them one by one.

Turning, his eyes scanned for Eric's face. He was talking to several people.

As if he could feel his gaze, Eric turns towards him, then raising his glass he mouths, "Annyeong."

Hyesung smiles, a memory flashes by his mind as he mouths back, "Annyeong."

Then turning his attention back to the bar, he takes his drink and sips. The bartender gives him a thumbs up, which he returns.

Chuckling to himself, he goes back to his earlier sentiment.

How one person's presence could change everything.

It could indeed.

Because one moment ago he felt desolate.

Now he felt like the world was right again.

He takes a sip of his drink again, smiling widely after.

Thank you, Eric.

* * * * * *

Buzz.

Hyesung takes his phone from his pocket and checks for messages.

You home yet?
Dongwan

Smiling widely, he types, "Yup." and presses send.

Putting his phone back on his pocket, Hyesung turns to open the door to his apartment. The moment he gets in the apartment, he takes off his shoes and almost staggers towards his living room.

In all truth, he was absolutely hungry. He barely ate at his party, when he decided to eat he realized he wasn't up for it and eventually forgot about it.

"It's okay, I'll cook." Hyesung mutters under his breath and presses the button to switch the light on.

Then stops.

It's either he was very hungry and imagining everything or he could actually smell food inside his house.

"But--" Hyesung says as he rushes towards the dining area and presses the switch to open the lights.

He opens his mouth, grins and places his hand over his chest.

There on the table was obviously steaming seaweed soup, steak and a cake.

Approaching the table he bites his lower lip as he sees a note on top of a prepared plate.

Hyesung. It read.

In Eric's handwriting.

Hyesung opens the note, a smile creeping on his face.

Hey,

I meant it then, I mean it now.

Happy Birthday.

Yours.

Always.

Eric

Sighing but with a smile on his face, Hyesung sits down on the chair at the head of the table. He looks for his phone on his pockets, searches for Eric's name and types a message in.

Nado.

Then laying his cellphone on the side of the table, Hyesung picks up his chopsticks and spoon, a grin playing on his lips.

Maybe not now, or ever.

Maybe in another.

But it doesn't really matter.

Because right now, he was happy enough.

Today is his birthday.

And everything felt right.