02. PLEASE STAY

Burnout

Even at 2 in the afternoon, Seoul's roads is a busy bustle of cars, speeding by here and there, their destinations unknown. Hyesung looks out of the window of Eric's car, feeling elation at the fact that he wasn't outside walking, as the sun's heat pierced through their skins when they walked out of his apartment just minutes ago. The aircon hummed gently in the background as Eric sped by the busy streets, silent and concentrated on his driving.

Hyesung looks out the window and sees his reflection on the wing mirror. His hot pink pullover did little to help on the blinding rays of the sun outside, but he didn't have much brain power to actually think of what to wear that day. He picked the first thing he saw, and this was right infront of him, along with his tattered and ripped jeans. He don on whatever shoes he saw first (a white sneakers) and then headed off with Eric towards the parking lot of their apartment building. He was silent while walking with him, but Eric didn't seem to mind that even a little. He reached out for Hyesung while they walked towards his car and locked Hyesung beside him through his arm dangling on Hyesung's shoulders. He was still stumped to do or say anything, so he let Eric be, which on normal occasion would've shocked him but it seems Eric doesn't mind any of his reactions today. He must really think he's sick and he's trying to be understanding.

WELL, YOU ERIC. Hyesung thought furiously. He sighs and continuously stares outside the window, trying to push all thoughts away from savage retorts and heartaching imaginery.

"I've missed this."

Hyesung turns around toward Eric's voice, "Hmm?" He mutters softly. His eyes trying to hide his contradicting emotions.

Eric spares him a side glance and gives him a small smile, "I miss roadtrips with you." He smiles on the road, his face thoughtful and bright, "No rowdy noises, no crazy talks..." He chuckles and gives Hyesung another glance while grinning, Well, maybe some crazy talks," He laughs and then shrugs, "But you know...just you and me." He finishes smiling brightly.

Hyesung nods and gives him a small smile, then goes back to staring outside of the window, his mind screaming expletives everywhere.

Disappointment crosses Eric's features as he looks at Hyesung's depressing form, "Don't you miss it too?" He mutters, his voice a little hurt.

Hyesung gives him a small glance and presses his lips, "I guess, a little."

Eric gives a tiny nod. He smiles at the road while he drums on the steering wheel, "I miss it especially these days."

Hyesung turns to look at him, his face registering shock, "Why?" He asks, his voice curious.

Eric shrugs and sighs, "So much has been happening. I guess." He drums his fingers on the steering wheel again, "I didn't predict it was going to be like this." He says sighing again.

Hyesung fixes his gaze upon Eric's face, there were fine lines appearing on it. He seems a little bit stressed out for somebody who just came back from a vacation. He didn't noticed it while he was looking at him awhile ago. It must've been because Eric always flashes him a smile, everytime he looks at him....

And the lines on his face were always of happiness.

Hyesung purses his lips, "Going to be like what?" He says, his voice calculating.

Eric sighs and shrugs again, "I don't know, just crazy."

Hyesung bites his lower lip, "Crazy."

Eric nods his head, "Mhm."

"Like me?"

Eric turns swiftly around Hyesung's corner, surprise written all over his features.

Hyesung laughs and grins at him.

Eric's face lightens up. He chuckles, "Maybe a little." he says grinning while looking straight at the road.

Hyesung laughs.

Looking ahead, Eric couldn't help but flash him a smile.

Silence envelops the car as Hyesung looks outside the window again--this time with a small smile on his face. Eric gives him a glance every now and then, and each time, smiling to himself.

Red light.

"What are you crazy about though?" Eric mutters out of nowhere.

Hyesung spares him a glance, and then smiles to himself at the wing mirror.

YOU. He thought achingly.

Hyesung looks back at Eric who was looking at him expectedly. He chuckles and shrugs, "Nothing." He bites his lower lip, "Just, you know, concert preparations, the album, you know, the usual." He says nonchalantly while shrugging.

Eric nods while gripping on the steering wheel, "Oh yeah. That's crazy." He mutters as he waits for the light to turn green again.

Hyesung looks straight towards the traffic lights, "Yup." He says nodding.

Eric turns his head towards him, "Need my help?" He says seriously.

Hyesung stares at the cars infront of him, not saying a word.

Eric goes back to looking at the traffic lights, "I'm just here you know." He says softly, "You can always tell me."

I KNOW. Hyesung thought miserably.

I HATE IT THAT YOU ARE.

BUT I CAN'T TELL YOU.

WHY THOUGH.

WHY CAN'T YOU? Hyesung asks himself.

"What are you waiting for Hyesung?" Eric mutters turning his body towards Hyesung, observing the expressions playng on Hyesung's face.

Hyesung looks around in surprise. DID I SAY MY THOUGHTS OUTLOUD?! He thought in panic.

Eric laughs at his facial expression, "What are you waiting for?" He raises his eyebrow at him, "I know you want me to help you." He says teasingly.

"Oh." Hyesung says relief seeping into his voice, "I'm waiting for you to volunteer." He says looking at him laughing nervously.

Eric's face registers surprise, "Really?" He raises an eyebrow again, "But I'm always a go when it comes to you."

Green light.

Eric steps on the accelerator and looks at the road infront of him in concentration as cars starts moving everywhere around him.

Hyesung looks out of the window again, trying hard not to curse outloud at Eric's pronouncement.

"I'm always a go when it comes to you."

HAHA, YOU ERIC. Hyesung thought furiously.

Hyesung's laughter comes out of his mouth, dripping with sarcasm, "Then there's no need to wait." He says pursing his lips and looking straight at Eric's driving form.

Eric gives him a glance and smiles sincerely, "There isn't. I'm just here."

YOU TIMES INFINITY. Hyesung thought miserably as he tried to give Eric a sincere smile in return, only for it to come out as what it is. It was a good thing Eric didn't look around to see his face, Hyesung thought feeling even more miserable.

Hyesung sighs, "I know." He says his voice reeking with sadness.

Eric nods, "Good." He says seriously.

Sighing yet again, Hyesung goes back to looking at the window and notices they've gone off the city and are cruising through nature. Lots and lots of trees, wide open areas, mountain views and a spectacular skyline. Despite the heat of the sun, the rays are much lighter now that they are approaching 4 PM. They've been travelling for 2 whole hours and Hyesung didn't even noticed.

Drumming on the steering wheel, Eric takes a glance on Hyesung's form again, and then towards the road and then back at Hyesung. He reaches out towards the radio and presses it to life. He fiddles with the buttons and then decides on a radio station. An unknown song was playing and was coming to an end.

Another song comes on immediately.

A melancholy tune...starting with a sound from a piano.

Eric smiles.

HEAVEN.

Giving Hyesung a side glance, Eric sings, "Falling without you~ Falling without you~"

Already cursing the heavens for this untimely event, Hyesung sighs and smiles at Eric. Then without further ado, sings his part on the song.

"긴 한숨과 짧은 인사말 (A long sigh and a short greeting )

내 서툶이 남긴 전부 (Is all that my ineptness leaves )

손 놓으며 마지 못한 말 (I let go of your hand but can't say it )

마지 못한 말 (Can't say it)"

Eric smiles through the whole part, even closing his eyes a little, feeling the music and Hyesung's voice.

"Bye." Hyesung finishes his part, then looks at Eric's face.

Eric turns toward Hyesung, a smile playing on his lips, "I really love this song."

Despite the ache, Hyesung smiles sincerely, "I think it's perfect."

Eric nods as the song continuously plays on the radio.

FOR WHAT I FEEL. Hyesung thought achingly. TODAY.

As the song totally envelops the car, Hyesung looks straight on the spacious road and remembers the time when Eric came to his apartment to listen to this very song for the first time. He was insistent, he remembers. He wanted to sleep then but Eric wanted so badly to listen to this with him. He didn't know why, but he let Eric enter his apartment anyway. They sat on his sofas, as the song played several times on his apartment, all of Shinhwa's voices collaborating and exploding together. It was indeed a beautiful song, but he thought, Eric would've loved Like A Star better. He didn't expect this sudden spurt of emotion from him, wanting to listen to this with him. Hyesung thought then, it must've been because he was his neighbor, but then again, Eric was with Minwoo when this was completed.

It'S CAUSE YOU'RE HIS BESTFRIEND. Hyesung thought sadly.

He could still remember Eric's serene face as this played on his living room. At one point, it looked as if Eric was sleeping already and when Hyesung moved closer to check, Eric opened his eyes and gave him a smile he couldn't recognize. There was something sad and happy about it, but he didn't think much about that as he moved away from Eric that night.

It felt like, it was just yesterday when it happened.

The wounds still feel so fresh.

But then again, Hyesung thought to himself, IT IS STILL FRESH.

"I will let you go~" Hyesung's voice sounded through the radio as the last dregs of the song plays.

Eric turns towards Hyesung, a smile playing on his face, "Will you?"

Hyesung turns towards Eric swiftly, "What?"

Eric points towards the radio, as Heaven ends.

"Oh." Hyesung says staring at the radio, dumbfounded.

YES?

NO?

I DON'T... I DON'T KNOW. Hyesung thought heartbrokenly.

"Of what?" Hyesung asks Eric instead, feigning innocence over what they were actually talking about.

Eric shrugs, "I don't know." He tilts his head, "Is there anything you'd like to let go of?"

Hyesung chuckles looking straight on the road, his expression downcast, "Anyone."

Eric turns towards him switfly, "Oh." He mutters, his tone surprise. He clears his voice, "Who is this unfortunate being?" he asks sincerely.

YOU. Hyesung thought desolate.

Hyesung raises his eyebrows and looks at the windows, "Just. You know." He shrugs, "Someone."

Eric breathes a sigh, "Man, what an unlucky fellow."

Hyesung smirks, "You think?"

Eric reply came in loudly, "YES!"

Hyesung turns towards him, shock at his reaction.

Eric laughs nervously, "I mean," he turns serious, "To be let go by you." He turns towards Hyesung, "That's... that feels bad." He finishes looking back at the road, his face registering sadness.

Hyesung raises his eyebrows just as Eric gives him a glance.

Eric raises his right hand towards his chest and points, "Here."

Hyesung turns towards the windows, his expression almost furious, THIS , he thought to himself.

Forcing a chuckle Hyesung gives Eric a side glance, "You think too much."

Eric smiles toward him, "I feel too much."

Hyesung shakes his head and then bows looking at his hands, "Me too. Me too, Eric."

Eric doesn't reply to this but keeps on staring straight on the road. Hyesung purses his lips and turns back to looking at the window. There weren't much cars moving their way as they're speeding through countryside. The colors outside were wonderful and vibrant. So unlike what Hyesung was feeling that moment.

After a few moments of silence, Eric breathes out, "I missed this."

Hyesung sighs, "Yes, you said."

Eric ignores this pronouncement, "Even the slence."

Hyesung smiles and sighs despite it all, "Yeah."

Giving Hyesung a glance, Eric says seriously, "I miss you."

Hyesung turns to him, his expression confuse, "What?"

Eric gives him a small smile, "I miss you, being here." He bites his lower lip, "With me."

Instead of expletives coming out of his head, a warmth spread through Hyesung's chest because of this. He smiles at Eric, sincerely, his espression thankful.

Eric reaches out for Hyesung's shoulder and squeezes it, turning again he says, "Don't leave me okay?"

Hyesung's eyebrows meet the center of his forehead, "Why'd you think that?"

PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU'RE MELANCHOLY AS RIGHT NOW SHIN HYESUNG. Hyesung's mind replied back to him. He tries hard not to laugh at himself.

Eric shakes his head, not noticing the smile playing on Hyesung's lips, "I've always thought about that." He says seriously.

Hyesung gives him a look of astonishment, "Really? Why?"

Eric bites his lower lip, "Must be because I don't want to lose you." He says giving Hyesung a swift glance and then back at the road infront of them.

Hyesung smiles sadly to himself on the wing mirror, "Because I'm you're bestfriend." He says to himself, his expression bordering desolation.

Eric chuckles, "No."

Hyesung looks at him, "Because?"

Eric looks at him and gives him a small smile, "YOU KNOW."

Silence envelopes the car as Hyesung doesn't reply to Eric's statement and instead looks outside the window again. The ache inside his heart is so bad, that the pain seeps through his veins, making it hard for him to breathe. He closes his eyes and rests his head on the seat.

"Don't ever leave okay?" Eric says seriously.

Still with his eyes close, Hyesung reaches out for Eric's shoulders, pats it and turns towards the window.

He opens his eyes as a single tear slides down on his cheeks.

That's the problem Eric. Hyesung thought sadly.

I don't ever want to leave.