Chapter 2

Hoodies Are Serious Business

 

It had been a week since Sungyeon let Yewon borrow her favorite hoodie. Kyla begged to differ, saying that she had given it away to her. Sungyeon pretended to not hear anything. The heavy sigh coming out of the younger one’s mouth did not go unnoticed though. Both of them had just finished eating lunch together in one of the composing rooms, the duo chatting about everything under the sun until the subject of Yewon’s continued use of Sungyeon’s hoodie was brought up.

 

“For someone who was so worked up over that, you sure are taking it pretty well,” Kyla took the time to clean up the plastic bento boxes they ate from and stacked them neatly.

 

“What do you mean? She wanted to wear it so why not let her?” Sungyeon questioned.

 

“I heard you threatened the others about it.”

 

“Hey, that was just a precaution! I needed to instill my dominance here to get answers,” Sungyeon defended herself, slamming her fist on the table. “Besides...she felt safe wearing it.” The younger one quirked a brow and gave a knowing look. Sungyeon pretended to not notice that too, as she sheepishly scratched an imaginary itch on her cheek with a finger.

 

“If more of your clothes start to go missing, don’t say I didn’t warn you,” Kyla nonchalantly stated and quietly left the composing room with the garbage, leaving Sungyeon alone with her thoughts and scratched-out lyrics. She scoffed and shook her head. Why on earth would her own best friend steal her clothes? They weren’t even in the style that she likes. Kyla was definitely pulling her leg.

 

---

 

Sungyeon stood in front of her opened wardrobe, half-dressed and bamboozled.

 

Her favorite pair of sleeping pants has gone missing!

 

And her 2nd favorite hoodie too.

 

In her head, she could already see Kyla’s triumphant smirk. Damn it all. She refused to think of the very huge possibility that her own best friend was the thief once again. She had just taken a wonderful, warm shower after another day of hectic practice. Her much-needed time to rest has decreased drastically now. Time for another round of interrogations starting with…

 

“If you’re searching for your missing clothes again, it’s better that you go straight to Yewon,” Kyulkyung began as she entered the room before Sungyeon could even fully face her. The composer clicked her tongue. She was so ready to pin this one down on her roommate for once.

 

After dressing herself up in a white sweater with a faded logo and a pair of black shorts, she reluctantly went on the hunt for the supposed culprit. When she barged into the other bedroom without as much of a knock, all she found was Nayoung sitting on her bed, engrossed in a novel.

 

 

Oh . She really should have just knocked.

 

“Yes, Sungyeonie?” Nayoung asked, her eyes still on the book. She didn’t seem to be all that bothered by the sudden intrusion.

 

“Uh, hi unnie! D-did you see Yewon anywhere? I kinda need to talk to her about something,” she sheepishly said while twiddling with her thumbs.

 

“Oh, she followed Eunwoo and Yaebin to the store to get snacks, “ her leader flipped to the next page as she answered her question.

 

Sungyeon made a face. That sneaky little…

 

“I saw her wearing one of your pants and hoodies, I think,” Nayoung looked up at the ceiling in contemplation.

 

“You did?”

 

“I’m pretty sure I did,” her eyes finally looked back down at Sungyeon. “Did you wanted to ask her about that?”

 

Sungyeon could only give a half-hearted smile.

 

“Now that you mentioned it, she was the one who was in charge of the laundry yesterday.”

 

It didn’t take a genius like herself to know how her favorite pair of pants got into the hands of said culprit. Part of Sungyeon wanted to slam her best friend against a wall and demand her clothes back, but the majority of herself was too nice to even attempt that. There must be an entirely good reason why Yewon is starting to become a local thief. Her train of thought broke when she heard her leader call her name.

 

“We all tend to share clothes with one another here,” Nayoung’s tone dipped into one of slight concern. “ Considering that it’s Yewon we’re talking about, I didn’t think you would be that bothered by it, but if you want to, I can ask her to stop-”

 

“No, no, no! It’s not like that, unnie!” Sungyeon denied while waving her hands around. Great. Her own leader thought that the pair of BFFs were having a riff in their relationship. Sungyeon didn’t want to think of the reaction she would get from Yewon if Nayoung confronted her about this. “I’m totally okay with clothes sharing! Heck, Yewon can wear whatever she wants, but I just want to know the reason why she’s taking my clothes and not everyone else’s.”

 

That answer seemed to relax Nayoung, her frown of concern turning into that calm and contented look she gives whenever things are going well with her group. “I think you can ask her that yourself,” she said and returned her utmost attention back to her book.

 

There were the familiar sounds of the front door opening and a flurry of voices in a heated conversation of which cooking method for ramen was the best. Perfect timing, Sungyeon thought.

 

After leaving Nayoung to whatever world she was currently engrossed in, Sungyeon peeked her head into the kitchen and sure enough, the trio who went to the convenience store have returned with plastic bags filled with ice-cream and junk food placed on the dining table. Probably as a secret stash. Nayoung would have a fit later when she finds out. Her eyes trailed from that to the very obvious culprit she was searching for, guilty as charged, with her back turned towards her. Sungyeon eyed the black, oversized hoodie being worn by the girl with the sunshine smile that could melt the coldest of hearts. From there, she trailed down to those pair of grey and comfy track pants she uses as pyjamas. Wow, they actually looked pretty cute on her. Or maybe it was just Yewon making the clothes look cute? Why in the world was Sungyeon thinking like this? She needed to stop before her mind overdoses on cuteness.

 

“Sungyeon ah, is that you?”

 

The composer yelped. Cover was blown, thanks to the shortie rapper of the group. In that moment, she saw Yewon immediately turn around, a look of pleasant surprise on her face. To save her dignity and not be exposed for actually staring at her best friend like some teenager with a crush, Sungyeon quickly said, “ I’m telling Nayoung unnie about this.”

 

“Sure you will, kid, until you see what we’ve bought,” Yaebin smugly announced and nodded at Yewon.

 

Yewon happily took out a large cereal box from the bag, shaking it enticingly with a cheeky grin on her face.

 

Great. Just great. Sugar frosted flakes. She could never resist them, no matter how hard she tries.

 

Yewon holding the box of sugar frosted flakes? Unfair.

 

Sungyeon clicked her tongue again. “Damn it.”

 

“You’re welcome,” Eunwoo proudly hummed. “Now we’re going to take some of these over to the rest and hopefully not get caught by Nayoung unnie.”

 

Hopefully,” Sungyeon snided, silently wishing that Nayoung was done with her book.

 

“I’ll help to store the rest here in the pantry, unnie!” Yewon exclaimed.

 

“Thanks a lot! Join us later, okay? We’ll be in Minkyung unnie’s room,” Yaebin hurriedly grabbed a couple of the plastic bags which were filled with all sorts of snacks. The two 98-liners rushed out of the kitchen, leaving a restless Sungyeon alone with the culprit. Yewon started doing the task casually, not at all bothered by the brazen stare her best friend was aiming at her.

 

“Bribing me with cereal now, huh?” Sungyeon started, dangerously inching her way towards the girl. “You’ve got a lot of nerves.”

 

A playful smirk made its way up Yewon’s lips as she stored some of the extra snacks into the pantry. “I have no idea of what you’re talking about.”


“I suppose you have no idea of what happened to a couple of my missing clothes either?” she asked, and not interrogated. One of her hands tugged on the hood, pulling Yewon closer and to face her. Bad move, apparently. Yewon had that damn cheeky smile up on her face again. Poor Sungyeon was having a hard time trying to keep up her ‘threatening’ persona when this cutie was playing mind-games with her.

 

“Nope,” Yewon said, then grasped onto both of Sungyeon’s hands. “But look at this hoodie I found! It’s pretty comfortable and matches with the pants I’m wearing.”

 

Sungyeon couldn’t believe this girl. “Yeah. It...it suits you.”

 

“Wanna know something else?”

 

“What?”

 

Yewon moved in, bringing her lips closer to her ear. “I feel safe in them too,” she whispered softly, a hint of fondness melting in from her voice.

 

And just like that, Sungyeon admits defeat. No way in hell was she going to get back her property like this. “Well…” she trailed, staring back at Yewon. Her heart was annoyingly speeding up again. “They should be. They’re mine, after all.”

 

The strawberry-blonde girl tightened the hold on her hands, the crinkle near her eyes noticeable when she smiled with much affection at the composer. “I’ll return them soon.”

 

Sungyeon could only let out an exasperated sigh. “I can live without em’.”

 

“Be careful of what you say, Baesoongie,” Yewon lightly chuckled, a slight evil glint evident in her eyes. “Who knows what could go missing next time.”

 

“I’ll hunt you down,” Sungyeon raised one of her hand, pointing a finger gun straight at her best friend’s face. “Mark my words.”

 

The bubbly member didn’t say anything else, but to push Sungyeon playfully towards the dining table. Sungyeon curiously watched her getting two clean bowls from the cupboard with a skip in her step. “The cereal was my idea,” Yewon proudly announced.

 

“So you were bribing me after all!”

 

The two decided to enjoy their late night breakfast cereal on the living room couch while watching whatever that was on the television. With the both of them snuggling up closely, Sungyeon thought that all was well. She was still unsure of whether or not Yewon is going to ‘borrow’ something again in the near future, but hey, as long as there’s sugar frosted flakes, everything will be good.

 

A vibration from the depths of her shorts’ pocket.

 

Pulling her phone out, Sungyeon tilted her head questioningly at the notification. Opening the text up, she was greeted with a one word message in English.

 

Whipped.’

 

Followed by a photo of a very unimpressed Siyeon nibbling on a Pocky stick with an equally unimpressed Kyla next to her.

 

Sungyeon closed her phone and covered her face in shame.

 

Yewon, as always, was clueless as ever.

 

 

Author's Note: Sungyeon can never catch a break, can't she?