Tangerines

Under Her Spell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment the cub left the room, Mina spiralled in pure agony caused of her forgetfulness. How can something so important be forgotten quickly and carelessly? The times when she relied on her heart, she was heavily let down and disappointed. She wondered where that kiss landed. She groaned when she unexpectedly checked a cold and same forgotten chicken noodle soup in her pot. She could eat the leftover soup for breakfast, so she preheated it as she continued her best to remember the kiss.

 

I guess, this was what she meant when she fed me last night, she sighed to herself. The cub wasn't the type to lie about what happened. In short, the kiss really happened beside the fact that Chaeyoung wanted to mess with her head. I am already a mess when it comes to you, the penguin declared in her head. It happened, so her great question was, "Where did I kiss her?" she whispered as she tapped her lower lip as if the action will help her current situation. Forehead because of the height differences? Her cheeks because I definitely adore it? Or let's be real and I kissed her on her lips? she thought as series of possible answers ran inside her head.

 

The girl was shortly distracted from her thoughts because of the boiling sounds from the kitchen. She turned off her stove and took a bowl of hot soup from the pot. Mina placed it on her table and pulled one of the chairs around her dining table. She spooned and gently blew on it to avoid burning her lips or tongue. The penguin tasted the cub's specialty soup for the first time with an actual recollection of its flavor, A bit bland but it's okay. She quietly ate her breakfast; and after she finished eating, she took her medicine just what the baby cub instructed.

 

Since she was still in the process of recovering from her fever, Mina decided to lie again on her bed and possibly sleep for the day. She sprawled her body on her bed and tried to relax, but she was disturbed by a soft and silky feeling against her left forearm. Mina looked at the direction and saw the responsible tiger cub, "Chaeng-Chaeng," she pouted and grabbed the plushie. She looked at its beaded eyes, "What about you? Did you know or witness what happened yesterday?" She sighed, giving up at the idea, "I am losing my mind over this."

 

She looked one more time at the cute plushie like she was expecting for it to answer her back. Mina noticed something unfamiliar on the small tiger. She lifted and completely sat herself on her bed before she squinted her eyes for further inspection. When she looked at the toy cub's mouth, there was a very little and faint red mark. She deduced that it was a lipstick stain, and it wasn't hers. The color was redder than what she uses. Chaeyoung's? she questioned herself.

 

Please, kiss Chaeng-Chaeng goodnight.

 

The words struck her like a lightning in a harsh and stormy night. Her body tensed as her foggy memories of yesterday surged like strong tides of the sea. She breathed as yesterday's events and conversations resurfaced along the violent waves of her memories.

 

That very little and faint red mark lighted a candle that burned a whole forest in her head. She remembered the playful acts of Chaeyoung when she aided her for her dinner, medicine, and clean fresh clothes. She remembered their conversation and her hints for her feelings inside the elegant bathroom as Chaeyoung's hand burned yet innocently attended her flushed skin. She remembered how caring Chaeyoung was when she tucked her to sleep, only for her to quickly ruin those efforts after few seconds. Of course, she remembered her initiated kiss the moment she sensed and thought that the cub will leave her. Selfish as it may have sounded, but last night she didn't want Chaeyoung to leave her side, even for her sleep. She remembered the confusion and shock written on Chaeyoung's face when she fluttered her eyes open. She remembered how little of her sanity had managed to slip during their moments, sinking the truth inside her fuzzed mind that she was kissing Chaeyoung. She remembered how she just painfully smiled against her soft lips before she laid back on her bed.

 

Mina buried her face on the plushie and breathed, "I had the bare minimum of control and selfish decision when we kissed," she muffled on Chaeng-Chaeng. She lifted her face from the small cub and looked at it again, "I probably decided to forget about it in my hazed state, Chaeng-Chaeng," she whispered to her lifeless companion.

 

-------

 

Chaeyoung stared at the steaming bowl in front of her. A blanket was adorably cloaked around the cub's small frame as she was obediently seated in front of their dining table. Her face was a bit flushed, but she was already recovering for the night. "I can't believe you're still offering another chicken noodle soup for dinner," the small girl said, looking up at her generous and attentive best friend. "Sick people don't get to complain," she said as a matter of fact and handed the cub her medicine.

 

The small and sick girl accepted her medicine and started to eat the neverending chicken noodle soup. "I still can't believe how you got infected by Mina in less than twenty-four hours," the silver haired girl said as she sat opposite to her roommate. After an hour when Chaeyoung arrived from Mina's place, she started to tell Jeongyeon that she also didn't feel so good. The cub was a bit hot when Jeongyeon checked her forehead, so she offered her the thermometer to properly check her temperature. In the end, Chaeyoung really had a fever possibly because of their yesterday's adventure.

 

"That's because I'm fragile," she said, taking another sad spoon from her bowl. She groaned when the flavor touched her tongue — it was a better version of the soup, but it was still the same — and she grimaced, "I hate this soup, Jeongyeon." "Just eat it and stop complaining," she pointed to the defeated cub. "I've been with this soup since last night," she whined, "Promise to cook me something different for tomorrow."

 

Jeongyeon sighed, also defeated by her demanding roommate, "Nayeon should really stop from spoiling you, but okay, I promise." Chaeyoung smiled and took her medicine.

 

-------


Mina woke up for her morning class. She sat up and stretched before she grabbed her bathrobe. The penguin finally decided to take a proper bath since all she had yesterday was her improvised self sponge bath. She yawned as she entered her bathroom, A quick hot shower won't hurt my recovering body, she thought while undressing.

 

She adjusted the water to her desired temperature and walked under the hot steaming water. The girl sighed as her body relaxed. She took her shampoo and squeezed some of it on her left palm. She began to wash her hair, lathering her scalp with her minty lavender shampoo. Then, she grabbed her soap and focused on washing her body. Once she had lathered her body, she turned the shower again and rinsed her being. The penguin tilted her head upwards and let the water drop on her forehead. Chaeyoung, she unconsciously thought. She slowly reached and touched her lower lip before she smiled, A selfish yet satisfying decision that I made.

 

When she was done with her quick shower, she turned the shower off as she let the excess water to run down on her body. She walked to where she had placed her robe and wore it. She then grabbed a clean towel from her cabinet and dried her hair along her way back to her bedroom. For today, she will probably dress warmly since she was just sick yesterday. She wore a pair of blue jeans, black turtleneck under a maroon red cardigan, and her brown ankle boots.

 

Once she was dressed, she headed in her kitchen to take her cereal box from one of the cupboards. She poured herself a bowl and kept the box back inside, and walked to her refrigerator to add some milk in her bowl. With her readied breakfast on her hand, the penguin walked to her dining table. She took her time with her food and then brushed her teeth when she finished eating. After she wiped dry, the girl headed back to her bedroom and grabbed her charging cellphone. She noticed that she had a message from Jihyo.

 

Jihyo:
Busy on campus break? Let's go have coffee.

 

Mina smiled and texted back an okay to her friend. Along her way out of her bedroom, she took her shoulder bag that was rested on her study table. She put her phone inside and headed to her front door. The penguin stopped when she realized that her keys weren't currently in her possession. After all, she didn't need to lock and unlock the door with a key when she was inside her unit. She tried to remember where she had placed her forgotten keys, Ah, my jean pocket, she thought as realization dawned to her.

 

The penguin quickly waddled back inside her bathroom and to the clothes' bin. She rummaged the bin and pulled the dirty jeans she wore last Saturday. The girl took her keys from one of the front pockets and dropped it back to the bin. Something caught her attention, a piece of clothing that was familiar but she definitely did not own. She grabbed the cub's forgotten navy blue jacket and smiled, Guess, I have no choice but to visit her today, the girl excitedly thought. The elegant girl hung the jacket on her left arm and left her secured unit.

 

Before Mina arrived at her morning class, she took a small detour in the laundry shop and asked the laundress to take extra care of Chaeyoung's navy blue jacket. With this strategy, she could take the jacket back from the shop after her meeting with Jihyo, and she could easily meet Chaeyoung and return her forgotten jacket before their next classes. She smiled at her smart strategy and at the convenience of exchanging schedules with the tiger cub before she walked to her classroom.

 

-------

 

"Thank you," Mina thanked the waiter who placed their orders on their table. The waiter simply smiled at the two before he bowed and left them. Jihyo moved her ordered cappuccino while Mina took her latte. "So, how are you two?" Jihyo looked at the penguin. Mina sipped her drink before she answered, "We're good and my Chaeyoung tolerance is currently improving." Jihyo looked at her friend before she gave her a motherly smile, "That's great. I'm happy for the two of you." "Thanks," the elegant girl smiled back. "I heard you two had a little date last Saturday and things happened," Jihyo shot the question straight to the person in front of her.

 

The wonders of the friend made her coughed, "W-what things?" she nervously stuttered. Her friend knowingly smiled at her, indicating she was messing with the quiet girl with her normal double standard statements. "I was only testing the water, Mina. Does that mean something really happened in your little get away with her?" the round faced girl asked and then lifted her own drink to her lips. Mina composed herself, "It wasn't a date or a little get away, Jihyo," she said. "It was a celebration for her grade improvement and she wanted to treat me since I helped her," she informed. Her friend looked at her intently as if she was reading her movements and facial expressions. Only silence with Jihyo's inspection filled their atmosphere.

 

The penguin just sighed in defeat, "Okay, maybe I thought of it as a date," she looked at her now smiling friend, "But don't judge me. I tried my best to talk myself out of it." "I know. I know you long enough that you had a date mindset when you two celebrated," Jihyo laughed at her but in a friendly manner. Mina sighed again, "Besides Chaeyoung's probably still oblivious about her general situation." Jihyo frowned at her friend, "Hey, cheer up. You'll get there, just don't give up on her." The penguin smiled at Jihyo's reassurance, "I'm not planning to."

 

The two sipped their drinks before they continued their topic, "So, what else happened?" th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter