Fate

Adagio

Hyomin’s pov


It’s been over two weeks now after the incident of me pathetically weeping over that stranger voice. Seems like that story ended there. We will never meet and all this will soon be forgotten. I guess it’s not that hard. Nothing much happened though.


Yes. Nothing much except the fact that I actually found the video of the performance uploaded on internet. I find it on purpose obviously. Worse case is I even cut the specific part and save it. I am always bad with technology, suddenly now mastering how to cut a video. I’m beyond impressed with myself.


More to my embarrassment, I appears on the screen when the mysterious person approached me but fortunately I didn’t look bad as I thought there, I look more like a lost soul, a weeping lost soul and that person bending to wipe my tears seem to look like a knight in shining armour.


Weird enough, the second time I listen to it, it’s not that sad anymore. Maybe because I was completely unaware at that first time I listen to it. Who can even expect that she will collapse on the stage to reach for the deepest emotion, just for singing a song? Nobody. That was unexpected and touching at the same time.


I even searched for old same performances but didn’t find her at any. I got the info that they are all randomly picked by the organizers. The unsung talented peoples as they said. No details of identity revelation though.


So, like that I choose to move on from it. I am still curious about this mysterious EJ person but my life is too hectic to even keep thinking about that, it slowly leaving me, my curiosity fade as times goes by.


...


Another day start and like always I start it with being at work. I was preparing for a cup of coffee at my office’s pantry when the thought of Jiyeon hit me so suddenly that morning. I feel like there are a rush of sudden uneasy emotion passed me to the point of me nearly dropping the cup of coffee on my hand.


Feeling odd, I check on my phone’s screen, in case there are texts from her but nothing new from her. The next few minutes of unfading uneasiness, I dialled her number. It took me 3 calls for her to finally answer it.


“Where are you?” I quickly ask as she picked up the call, heartbeats rising with uneven rhythm.


“I was driving. Why?” She answered, sound clueless and totally fine.


“Are you alright?” I ask again, to make sure.


“I guess so. Why?” She sound even more clueless this time.


“Please be extra careful today” I’m still really worried. I know it’s maybe just my gut feeling but I still feels uneasy about it. It just hitting me too suddenly.


“You are scaring me”


“Please” I pleaded.


“I will and I got to hang up now. I got early morning meeting today. What about we meet at lunch? At our usual place” She sound a bit in rush, so I remind her again for the last time.


“Alright. Be careful”


It’s not like I have sixth sense or what but I remember there are few moments like this from before that I ignore, a very simple and random thoughts and I regret it for not following my gut instinct most of the times.


Time seems passed slowly today leaving me restless. I still feel uneasy. I can’t see her and didn’t hear from her, so my worry grow bigger with every tick of the clock. I don’t have a lot of work too today, so I can’t find any distraction.


It took me dozens time of glancing at the clock for it to finally reached to lunch time. I was a bit carried away by the sudden work to settled and missed my timing. I was thinking about picking her up but it’s already a bit passed time and she already text me she is now on the way.


I quickly leave the building knowing that I’m a bit behind the time and goes straight to our usual lunch place. It’s nearer to her place, so she will be there first before me. I want to at least make sure she is alright and look at her by my own eyes.


Adding to my worries, she is nowhere in my sight once I enter our meeting place. Worse than that, she is not picking up calls too.


I sat there for an hour, leaving several voice message asking her to call back once she get the messages. Feeling restless, I can’t even eat anything.


I almost drive to her workplace to check there for her when she suddenly call me.


“Where are you?” I ask in quite a high pitch voice, not even waiting for any seconds.


“Sorry. Something came up” Her voice didn’t sound convincing.


“Are you at work? I will go to check on you” I can’t go through the rest of the day peacefully if I didn’t see her first. She never been like this. She always tell me first if she can’t make it to meet me. Plus, she texted me before telling that she is already on her way. So not her to act like this.


“Please don’t. I’m fine”


“Park Jiyeon, tell me now where are you?”


...


As expected something went wrong. I drive fast to the mentioned hospital. See? She was at hospital. If I didn’t hear her talking to me by herself earlier I might lose my mind by now.


It’s hard to concentrate on driving when your mind is in chaos. I got 3 honks from other cars on my way to hospital. I can’t really think straight.


Since I need to parked my car quite far from the main entrance of the hospital, I need to run. There are quite a number of peoples walking around. I carefully walk fast so I would not bump with them but failed as my head finally landed on the back of someone who block my way right in front of me.


Weird enough, my gut caught a familiar scent from this person in front of me.


The person look back at me with brows raising, look so pissed but once she laid her eyes on me, her gaze a bit shaken.


She appears very familiar to me but my mind now filled with the thought of Jiyeon, I have no time to scanned this person to identify who she is, so I slightly bow, slowly muttering ‘sorry’ before quickly leaving her.


“What happened to you?” I said with cracked voice as soon as I saw Jiyeon. Her forehead covered with bandage. Cervical collar on her neck and splint on her right wrist. She looks really terrible. My heart aches badly looking at her condition.


It took her a brief silence before answering me. “It was a minor accident. An  brat suddenly hitting hard on the back of my car” She seems pissed upon the mentioned of the cause of her injury. “I lose balance and hit the road divider”


I hug her, thinking about what if something worse happened. “I’m sorry” The only thing that I could say.


“Please don’t say that. I’m fine” She said, removing me from her with using her left hand. “Look at me. I’m fine” She added, smiling brightly to convinced me.


“You are not” Tears threatened to fall on the tip of my eyes but she wipes it away before it even makes it way running down.


“Hey. Don’t be like this. This is just minor injuries” She said, trying to move around to prove that she is fine but ended up shrieking in pain.


“See? Stop moving” I said, frowning at her. “Are you hospitalized?” I ask, in case she need to stay longer.


“Nope” She answered. “I’m not dying” She grinned to me as if she is really fine. I shake my head, smiling. Deep down in my heart, I’m a bit relieved she looks fine.


“Please let me take care of you until you get better” I ask with pleading eyes. She didn’t respond right away, so I added. “Please. You take care of me last time when I caught a flu”


“Alright” She give in. I hug her again, slowly to not hurting her. I’m glad nothing serious happened. I can’t imagine my future without Jiyeon in it. I only have her. I can’t lose her.


...


I decided to pay a quick visit to old friend, Dr. Lee Jihyun, now that I’m here at the hospital. I was reaching at her office when I caught a view of someone leaving her room. Someone familiar. Someone that I bumped to earlier. She walk away back facing me and disappears in the corner.


I stunned for seconds, thinking hard if I actually really know that person before quickly knock and enter the room after getting the permission.


“Dr Lee Qri” I greeted her who seems unaware of me, who just enter her room. She must thought that I’m one of the staff.


“Hyominnie!” Her eyes beams with Joy as soon as she saw me.


“Hey” I greet her with a warm hug. “Long time no see, old friend”


“Yea. Life is getting too hectic to handle” She said tighten the hug.


“I can’t stay long. I happened to be around here, so I pay a quick visit” I said. Jiyeon must be already on my car. I left her a bit earlier when she went to get her medication prescription from the nurse.


Qri just shake her head, sending an understanding smile. “Alright. I got something to settled too”


I bid her goodbye after telling her to meet in future. Before I leave her office, I put my walk on halt as I remember something.


“Unnie, who is the person who just left your office before me?” I ask. Qri frown a bit, trying to remember.


“That must be Eunjung” She said, raising her brows, looking curious. “Do you know her?” She then ask.


“No. She just look familiar” I said, ready to leave. “You know, we should hang out more. You look more like stranger now to me” I added, throwing a playful smile to her.


“You are even busier than me” She throw both of her hands up.


“That’s not true and bye” I said, quickly leaving her office with wide smile plastered on my face.


Eunjung.


She is the mysterious singer. I am sure. No wonder she looks familiar.


So EJ stands for Eunjung.


What is she doing at this hospital? Is she one of the staff? Patient? She didn’t wears uniform though. 


Screw that. Jiyeon must be waited long for me. I quicken my walking pace, leaving all the questions behind my head to think later.


At least now I know how to get more information about the mysterious Eunjung.