Chapter 1

Serendipity

"Seo Joohyun !" A girl calls out to another, who had just come into the class. "Yes ?" She answers cheerfully. "Come here !" And there she goes, running to the brown-haired girl. "Where's my lunch box ?" She asked while patting the girl's head. "Ah, I did it !" And she takes out a meal box out of her bag. "No fries ?" "Oh, I forgot." "Aish, I want you to go and buy it for me." "Okay, I will go after school ends." "Now !"

She looks at her watch. "B..but school is starting in 10 minutes." The girl glares at her. "I don't care."

And out she goes, running to the nearest store where she can get the fries.

Pants heard as Joohyun run as quick as she can to  the classroom, realising that it has been 15 minutes since school started. As she open the door, whole eyes are on her, as well as the teacher. "Miss Seo, why are you late ?! Do you parents own this school ?!" Screams heard. "Expected by nerds" Joohyun can hear the whispers as she bows down repeatedly, apologizing.

Joohyun.

I sit in the classroom, alone. I've got myself to detention after being 'late' today. I have to clean the whole classroom by myself. I glanced at my watch. 5.00 p.m. "One last wipe and everything setttles." I finish up by myself and without realising, I'm done. I put all the equipments into the store and pick up my bag, stretching a bit before going out. 

I am walking out tiredly when a whistle is heard. I stop on my tracks, automatically knows what it means. I turn around, and see Jiyeon and her gang on the alley at the side of the school. "Joohyun-ah. Help me." She said. "What is it ?" She smirked. "Buy me cigarettes." She said. "I can't go into the convenience store because of my uniform. So you have to go." She said. "B..but I'm wearing a u..uniform too..." I stutter. She laughs. "Of course I would know that, I'm not yet blind." Her playful stare change into a bad one. "So, you're going against us, you b**ch ?!" She pulls my hair. 

I groan, being helpless. I can't defend myself, or else Jiyeon would think I'm going against her. And that will make things much worse than what is happening now. In an instant, I was forced to be on my knees, kneeling before them. They surround me, and before I realise it, I was beaten into a pulp. Being helpless, I just received all their beatings. And, after a moment of beating, they went off. I just laid there for a while before picking up my phone, which have been on the floor since I was beaten.

I try to stand up, ignoring my pain in the abdomen. I groaned and walk. Before I get home, I went to the convenience store to buy plasters. I sit on the chair and apply plasters to my wounds. I cover up my bruises so that mom won't be able to see it. I don't want mom to know that I was bullied in school. Knowing it will just add her burden, which is already too much for a single mother to have. Suddenly, a bottle of beverage settles in front of me. As I look up, a smile plasters on my face. "Aunt !" I say. The aunt is the cashier in the store. And she knows me well, including my bully incident.

"Again ? Are they even human ? What's the reason this time ?" She questioned. I look down. "Nothing, aunt." I said. "You should report it quick. I'll help you, don't worry." She said, sitting on the chair beside me. "No ! It's okay, I'll be fine as long as you keep it a secret. Just, please don't report it, I don't want to worry my mom." I plead, tears almost falling down. She look at me sympathically, wipes my tears and hugs me. Then, my phone rings.

"Ne, omma ?" I said. "Joohyun-ah. Where are you ?" She asked. "I'm at the convenience store, buying snacks." I lied. She laughs. "Well, come home now. Your aunt came." She said. "Okay mom, I'm going now." I said and ends the call. I give some money to the aunt for the drink but she refuses to take it. I thanks her and walks out of the store, going home. I wonder what makes my rich aunt suddenly comes to my old, shabby house ? 

I went home and saw an expensive-branded car in front of my house. 'Must be uncle's', I thought. "I'm home." I said as I step into the house. Then, I saw my aunt, sitting opposite my mom, with her bodyguards at the back. "Omo, is this our Joohyun ? You're so pretty now." She said as I greet her. "Joohyun, come and sit here." Mom called me and I sit next to her. Aunt slide an envelope on the table towards me. "Open and read it." She said. "Our school has vacancy for welfare students, so I was thinking about Joohyun when I heard it." She said. I finished reading the letter and my mouth gaps in shock. "So, what do you say, Joohyun ? Would you accept the offer ?" So many things are going in my mind at the time. Gangnam Private High School is not a school that anybody can go. "Why do you looked bothered ?" Aunt asked me. "Huh ?" I asked. "You'll get scholarship with your good result." She said. "I'll give you time to think about it later and when you're done thinking, call me, okay ?"

That night, I can't sleep. I tossed and turn on my bed, thinking of what I should do. Then, mom comes in. She sits on the bed, and I do so too. "Accept it." She said. "It's your chance to improve." She said.

I look at mom. I saw her wrinkles on her face. She works so hard to fed our family since dad passed away. And she has always wanted me to have a bright future. If I accept the offer, I can be a better daughter to her and most probably, escape from Jiyeon.

I sigh. "Okay, I'll go."