o5. Valentine's Day (pt. 1)

His Cactus, Her Love

 

“In the end…” I sighed, blowing my side bangs up. “I made chocolates.”

I clutched the wrapped box close to myself, my breaths coming out in puffs of white clouds. Today was colder than usual, and the gray skies showed signs of possible rain. I waited for Airi by the flower patch, my hands freezing. The neighborhood was as quiet as usual, except the loud barking of the dog in the house behind me. I rubbed my hands together, leaning back against a metal pole.

“Yooae, sorry I’m late!” Airi appeared though the foggy air, and panted as she halted right in front of me.

“It’s okay,” I shrugged, tugging my scarf higher so that it covered my mouth. Airi shivered a little, and I noticed a small, pink bag nearly falling out of her coat pocket.

“Is that chocolate?” I pointed at the pink bag, curious. Airi nervously laughed and nodded, before hastily stuffing the bag back into her pocket.

“Who’s the lucky guy?” I playfully nudged her shoulder. She inhaled deeply, the corners of her lips twitching.

“It’s a se…” A mysterious smile formed on her lips. ”…cret!”

“Fine,” I huffed, my words muffled by my scarf.

“Oh, and here’s your chocolates!” She fumbled around her backpack and retrieved a small white box, ing it into my hands. I carefully opened it to reveal two glossy chocolates. I raised my eyebrow when I saw the brand name embossed in gold at the corner of the box.

“Did you buy these?” I held the box up. “No hand-made ones? Where’s the love?”

“Next time, next time,” She grinned, patting me on the back.

“Thanks,“ I replied quietly, before letting my head hang guiltily. “I didn’t make you any though…”

“It’s okay,” She patted my shoulder, before a wide smile spread on her face.  “Singles Awareness Day!”

“Just dig that knife a bit deeper…” I growled, turning to her mimicking an angry expression. “What about you?”

“I’m… not interested… currently,” She slowly spoke. I nodded, soaking in her words. We began our walk to school, huddling closer to each other as the cold air enveloped us.

“Is that for Myungsoo?” She pointed her finger at the wrapped box that I was tightly holding on to.

“Yeah,” I shrugged. “In the end, I couldn't help myself.”

“Mm…” Her gaze lingered on my face for second, before they grew distant and cold. It was strange, but I couldn’t help but catch a glint of longing in her eyes.

“Should I give it to him after school or before school?” I kicked a small pebble, sending it flying through the air.

“Eh… perhaps you should sabotage his locker and throw away all the other girls’ chocolates?” She suggested.

A gust of wind blew past us, whipping my hair against my face. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ears, inhaling the crisp air. The piles of soggy leaves beneath our feet made crunching sounds as we trod over them. I tilted my head up. There was absolutely no sign of sunshine in the sky. A storm was approaching, and I could clearly sense it.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Before classes started, I crept along the hallways, peeking out from behind the lockers. The school reeked of the smell of sweets and the perfume. I rubbed my nose, a bit faint from the stuffy hallway air. I narrowly avoided a boy carrying a large bouquet of roses, squeezing past crowds of girls with colorful sweets in their hands. Slowly, I treaded sideways, glaring at my goal.

Myungsoo’s locker.

It was in the middle of a top row of lockers, a black lock adorning the front.

“Let’s do this,” I whispered to myself, patting my chest to calm down my nervous heart.

“Do what?”

“Huh?” I whirled around to see Myungsoo standing next to me, tilting his head in confusion.

“You’re acting suspicious,” He frowned.

“… I am?” I laughed nervously, quickly shoving the box of chocolates behind me.

“Were those chocolates?” He inquired, his brow raised.

“Erm-“

“Oh, I see! You don’t know where his locker is!” He brightly exclaimed, clapping his hands together in a sudden realization. I breathed in, closing my eyes to stop myself from kicking his leg in exasperation.

“I know where it is…” I gritted my teeth, glaring at him. He seemed unfazed by my glares.

“… Bye.” I quickly blurted out, staring at him with a blank expression for a moment before attempting to flee the somewhat risky scene.

“Wait wait wait!” He yanked me backwards, causing me to stumble. I stared up at his eyes- why was there an imaginary puppy behind him? He resembled an abandoned puppy, looking down at me with hopeful eyes.

“Perhaps… you’re nervous?” He suggested. “Want me to be your practice partner?”

“Hah?” My jaw dropped open, my mind blank. “What?”

His large brown eyes focused on my face, nearly melting me on my spot. No, not a good idea, Yooae! I hastily patted my cheeks, trying to keep myself from fawning over him.

“You know…” He gestured awkwardly, smiling stupidly. “You can pretend I’m him!”

The smile on my face momentarily twitched.

“Myungie!” A girl from my classroom squealed in a high-pitched voice as she ran towards him with open arms, squeezing him tightly. “Where were you? A bunch of us girls have chocolate for you! Come on, let’s go to the classroom!”

I stiffened and had to bite my lip from releasing my jealousy and anger. I’m pretty sure a fire had lit up in my eyes.

“Ah, okay,” He let the clingy girl drag him away. “Bye, Yooae! Today after school!”

I watched as the Myungsoo and the girl slowly fade into a small dot. I could already expect what I would see when I entered the math classroom; Myungsoo surrounded by his friends and admirers.

“Practice partner? Practice partner? Practice?!” I muttered to myself and squeexed my box of chocolates tighter, stopping before I could dent the surface of a chocolate. “So infuriating.”

 

----------------------------------------------

narrator's p.o.v.; jung airi and her troubles

 

Jung Airi.

Yooae’s best friend since elementary school.

A girl of many mysteries, which I shall not reveal. Is she really what she seems to be? Her past, her family, and herself- all that will be revealed later in the story. However, there are a few crucial things you should know about her.

She met had first love in high school.

That love soon grew to be one full of difficulties and thorns.

They were inseparable- yet, their relationship had to be kept a secret.

Airi stopped in front of a classroom, quickly turning her head cautiously to see if anyone was there- particularily Yooae. She clenched her hands, looking up at the classroom sign hanging above the door. This was Yooae’s math classroom, the one that she always complained about. Her heart race began to speed up as she stiffly wrapped her fingers around the handle. The rustling of the pink bag in her hands startled herself.

 

She shouldn’t be doing this.

 

Swallowing her fears and guilt, she cautiously double-checked to see if anyone was in the hallway. Her head pounded as adrenaline ran through her veins. Taking a deep breath, she quickly opened the door and locked it behind her. Ignorin the chattering of the classroom, she turned to face the male behind her. His surprised face quickly hardened, as he quietly spoke the words she had been longing to hear.

 

“Airi.”



A/N

I divided Valentine's Day into two parts because... lol idk. Anyways, sadly, it's too early to reveal who Airi is in a relationship with. 

You won't find out until... like... chapter twenty?

It could be a character who's already here, but also a character which I haven't introduced yet.

blarghh.

 

.