o1. Clueless

His Cactus, Her Love

 

“You got into an argument again? I thought you were going to confess…” My friend’s voice pierced through my string of thoughts.

“Airi, please. Let’s just never mention his name again,” I sweetly smiled at my friend, my eyebrow twitching.

We were walking through the hallways of school, pushing through the noisy crowds of students. It was break right now, and we usually didn’t have anything to do.

I frowned, still a bit irked from this morning’s conversation with my longtime crush, Myungsoo. 

 

----------------------------------------------

 

"Are you going for a Lee Hyori look?" He stuffed his hands in his pockets, looking at me with a questioning expression. "Aren't you putting too much on your eyebrows?" 

I kept a fake smile plastered on my face, my hands twitching in anger and annoyance. 

"So, anyways, what did you want to tell me?" He asked, a face full of confusion.

Five seconds before my serious confession- these were the words that came from my crush's lips. A cold breeze blew into my face as I debated whether I should punch him or not. In the end, I gave him a furious glare before stomping off, leaving him alone with his dumbstruck expression.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

“Oh, speak of the devil,” Airi grinned, pointing to a circle of laughing students gathered by the side of the large hallway. In the center off the circle was Myungsoo, laughing and smiling brightly as usual. Beautiful people; pretty girls and handsome guys always surrounded him. 

“Their aura is just completely different, huh?” She looked at them dreamily. I had to agree- his group was always filled with dazzling people. In fact, they seemed to light up every hallway they walked through. Myungsoo spotted me, and waved, a childish smile on his lips. I felt my insides flutter like a butterfly when I saw his face. Despite that, I ignored him and walked away with my friend. 

“And there you go again,” She chuckled and patted my head. Suddenly, the loud ringing of the bell echoed throughout the school.

“Oh, be quiet,” I muttered under my breath. “The bell rang.”

I waved good-bye to her, and proceeded to walk to my classroom. Sighing, I rubbed my sore shoulders; for some reason, my backpack was strangely heavy. It was probably full of my calculus books and stray papers. I approached the door of the classroom, and stared at the label on it. I didn’t particularly loathe math class, but the thought of having to sit beside Myungsoo irked me and pleased me at the same time.

“Aren’t you going in?”

I turned around to face Myungsoo, who wore a bright but confused expression.

“Oh… yeah,” I slid open the door, and held it open for him. He grinned and pushed me inside the classroom, his hand gripping the door open.

“What was that for?!” I frowned at Myungsoo, my anger rising dangerously fast. 

“I can’t let a girl open the door for me,” He casually replied, and walked past me. Myungsoo sat at the back, next to my seat. Soon, he was surrounded on all sides by giggling girls and guys. I pushed my way past the group, and let out a sigh as I sat down in my desk. 

“Show-off,” I muttered under my breath, burying my face into my arms. 

“Get back to your seats!” The students scrambled to get to their seats when the teacher entered the classroom. I propped my elbow onto the desk, and prepared for a long lecture by the calculus teacher. She coughed a few times before snapping her glasses in place.

“And so, when doing these vectors…” Her voice droned on. I pressed my pencil onto the paper, carefully taking notes.

“Yooae! Hello, hello, hello! Good morning! Hi! Anyone there?” Myungsoo whispered into my ears. I inwardly groaned, and shifted my position.

“What!” I snapped at him, making sure to be quiet. 

“Are you mad at me?” He pouted, pitifully staring at me.

“Glad to know that you have some common sense,” I replied, not taking my eyes off the teacher. His eyes drifted towards the white ceiling as a thoughtful expression replaced his pitiful one.

“Then, why are you mad at me?” He questioned. I could tell that he was thinking hard. Sometimes, I wonder how he even managed to not fall back a grade.

“Ha,” I snorted.

“Okay, fine! I’m sorry for this morning.”

“You are?” I asked incredulously. 

“I mean, I wasn’t trying to make fun of Lee Hyori or anything,” He continued. “If you want her look, I’ll support you!”

I stayed quiet, a sarcastic smile creeping onto my lips.

“What?” He cocked his head, confused by my silence.

“Do me a favor, and shut up,” I focused all my attention onto the teacher, whose ramblings were scribbled in messy words over the whiteboards.

“…Why are you so spiky? Spiky, spiky, spiky…” He frowned. “You cactus.”

“If I’m a cactus, then you’re a lump of dirt,” I muttered to myself.

“Did you say something?” He poked my shoulder. I quickly took a glance at his piece of paper, and snorted. As I expected, it was blank. Although I only had two periods with him, I could tell that his studies were on the downside. He only did three things during class; sleep, talk, and stupidly grin.  

“I told you not to talk to me anymore!” Using my calculus book, I smacked his arm with a loud thwack. 

“Miss Yooae. Mister Myungsoo. Is there a problem back there?” The teacher suspiciously walked towards us.

“No, Miss! It was just that… I had to swat at an annoying fly!” I smiled brightly, while pointedly glaring at Myungsoo. He awkwardly chuckled, and nodded at my statements. The teacher walked away, and I let out a sigh of relief.

“Oh, I nearly forgot!” Myungsoo’s face lit up, realization glinting in his eyes. “What did you want to tell me this morning?”

“It’s too late now. I guess you’ll never find out,” Monotonously, I replied, facing the front. From the corner of my eye, I could see that he was pissed. Even idiots get irked at sometime or another.

“Come on, tell me!” He whined. I glared at him, and motioned to keep his voice down. He shrugged and stuck his tongue out at the unaware teacher.

“Just say it! It’s not like I’m asking you to say you love me or anything…” Crestfallen, Myungsoo used his finger to trace circles on his desk. I froze; he was point on.

“Wait, you are?” His mouth fell ajar in a stupid expression. I whipped my head towards him, giving him a cold glare before slapping his shoulder. I awkwardly laughed, a hard expression on my face.

“Am I right?” He questioned, rubbing his shoulder. I narrowed my eyes.

“Go die.” 

 

----------------------------------------------

 

“You said that to him?” My friend’s body wracked with laughter. She clapped her hands, her face full of delight. We sat on a bench, eating beneath the shade of a large tree. A cool breeze would occasionally blow, and flowers of every color sprung up from the green grass behind us. We faced the basketball courts, where occasional yells of victory and groans of defeat would reach our ears.

“Airi, what else was I supposed to say?” I groaned and leaned down to pluck a strand of grass.

“Say yes! Say you love him!” She rocked back and forth, wrapped up in her fantasies. I believe that she has a serious, incurable case of fangirlism. According to guys, one word to describe her personality: sadistic. She had plenty of male friends, but was never romantically interested in any of them. I often pitied the guys who were stuck in her “friend zone”.

“At this rate, I’m going to be single for the rest of my life,” I twirled the piece of grass in my fingers, before letting it limply fall down onto the cement floor.

“Why are you so hung up on Myungsoo?” She brought her legs up onto the bench, sitting in a criss-cross position. “It’s a waste, too. You worked so hard up until this point. Don’t you want another guy to love you, even if it’s not him?”

I stayed quiet, slowly chewing my rice. Her words made sense- why was I spending this much time on Myungsoo? I used to be extremely plain in middle school. I hated to admit it, but he was the sole reason as to why I wanted to become prettier. I loved that clueless idiot for a total of four years now- a record that amazed me.

“I guess?” I nodded, slightly unsure. Airi clapped her hands, her eyes sparkling.

“I’ll set you up for a blind date then!” She happily packed up her things, stuffing them into her backpack. 

“Wait-“

“Oops, gotta go! I promised my Physics teacher that I would see him for the last few minutes of class,” She cut me off, and skipped away. Her figure slowly grew smaller and smaller, as I watched her disappear into the large school building.

“You don’t even take Physics…” I trailed off. Airi always had something to do, and ended up ditching me most of the time. It was odd, but I never asked her about it since I hated prying into people’s lives. In the slight of the moment, I remembered how Myungsoo had blonde hair in middle school. He caught my eye ever since the first day of middle school, but not because of his bright colored hair. He was simply different from the people he hung around. It was hard to explain, but there was a different air to him.

I frantically shook my head, trying to rid myself of all thoughts about Myungsoo. He was too dense, too idiotic, and too carefree. What am I doing, loving someone like him?

 


A/N.

Oh em gahh. Already 50 subbies? I love you guys! Oh, and "Yooae" had the most votes.

I wanted to make this longer, but... I made this as an "intro" to Myungsoo and Yooae.

I'm really sorry if this chapter , but I'll try harder! 

.