chapter 6

Halloween ever after

A trip that should have taken us maybe two hours at most, by foot, took us about twice that time. For two reasons. Firstly, because we went the long way,and secondly because we weren't moving very fast, and then thirdly, ok so for three reasons, not two, but thirdly, we had to avoid demons, turning back a couple of times. 

" What the hell are they even doing?" Jackson hissed as we hid behind the wall of a house that to a street we'd been hoping to go down, but found that plan foiled when we'd turned to find a couple of steaming fellows. As in they had steam coming off their bodies , and their bodies were this ghastly green colour. They were just sitting there,seemingly basking in the sun, while their bodies just... well melted. It was honestly all kinds of disgusting. 

" Oh man that's disgusting," Minseok croaked.And it really was.

" Again I ask," Jackson repeated, " what are they even doing?"

" I don't think we should hang out to find out," Jaebum said.

I agreed with him. I really didn't want to hang around to find out.

" We can go back down 10th and make a right on Parkway," Luhan suggested.

 So that's what we did. Finding that route mostly user friendly, til of course we got to the end of Parkway and had to make a left. Then we ran into a vampire. He was preoccupied the blood out of some poor sod so fortunately he didn't see us, which allowed for us to escape back the way we came.

" Dammit," Yifan hissed," We just need to get past this one block and then we'll be home."

" Yeah, but there's a vampire between us and your place," Mark said.

" I... might have an idea," Luhan said slowly, " you're not gonna like it though,"

" Then no," Minseok, Mark and Yifan said together. Luhan pretended not to have heard them and continued speaking.

" If I distract the lone vamp, the rest of you can make a mad dash for the house and I'll catch up," Luhan said.

And we all said, " No!" Luhan rolled his eyes, and countered with a very mature, 

" Yes. No one's faster than me, and he's the only thing standing between us and your basement Fanfan. So I'm gonna distract that bloodsucker over there, y'all are gonna make a mad dash for the house, salt it like crazy, leave the door open for me, and I'll do a lap round the block and catch up."

" Luhan that's crazy... dammit Luhan," Yifan hissed, but it was too late because Luhan had already made a break for it. He held his hand out as he ran by a wire fence, deliberatelt cutting himself on the wiring so he'd bleed. The blood of course, the smell of fresh blood piqued the vampires attention, and it lifted it's head like a dog sniffing out a bone. 

" . Ok fine. As soon as that vampire is gone, we're gonna make a run for it," Yifan hissed, already grabbing onto Sehun and flipping him onto his back. Jaebum doing the same to Jongin, while Mark and Minseok each held onto Lilee. 

" Now" Yifan growled. And man did we run. Hard and fast. Til we were barging through the front gate of Yifan and Sehuns home. We ran straight down into the basement, and Yifan was already whipping out a bag of salt from one of the backpacks of stuff we'd brought with us, and drawing a barrier around the basement while the rest of us huddled down and tried to catch our breath.

" Luhan," Minseok said, grabbing another bag of salt and heading back upstairs.

As I sat down and tried to catch my breath, I looked around and I have to say, it was a really  nice basement. It had been retrofitted as a family room. The floor was carpetted. There was a fridge, a t.v, a radio and large couch that ran the full span of every wall in the room. There was also a small bar in the corner and a full bathroom included.The couch I learned opened up into a bed in three of the sections. Like, I know that the supernatural apocalypse really wasn't the time for me to be to home decor, but it was a really  nice basement. I couldn't help myself.

" We need something to board the windows up with," Jinyoung said as he helped Lilee sit down.

" There's plywood in the toolshed," Yifan said, " I'll go get it."

Sehun latched onto Yifans hand, " I'm scared Fanfan,"he said.

Big Brother Fanfan got down on his knees and lifted Sehun onto the couch, crouching eye level with him he said," I know buddy. But, we need to board the windows and the doors up. I'll be back before you can count to a thousand. Promise." He held out his pinky finger and waited, " Pinky promise."

Sehun hooked his own pinky round Big brother Fanfan's. " Besides," Big brother Fanfan added with a most obnoxious wink, " you and mama still need to do the thing right? And you need me for it right?" 

Sehun giggled and nodded.

" Then I absolutely have to come back.So here, you and Jongin see how far you can count before I get back ok?" Big brother Fan fan said and Sehun nodded. He started counting before Big brother Fanfan had even stood up. 

Jaebum laughed softly and said, " come on big brother fanfan. We better run fast,"

" We?" Yifan said even as he stood up.

" Yeah, I'm not letting you go out there alone. Come on, you're wasting time. The kid's already up to 20" Jaebum retorted. Yifan sighed and grabbed the another bag of salt and headed upstairs.He tossed the bag to Minseok who was busy salting the upstairs and said, " I'm going to get the plywood and toolkit. No Luhan yet?"

"Not yet,"Minseok growled, " I'm going to ing kill him when he gets back."

" Get in line," Jaebum muttered, then turned to Yifan and asked, " you ready?"

Yifan snorted, " no."

" Let's do this then," Jaebum replied.

They made a mad dash for the toolshed. They grabbed as much plywood as they could between the two of them, Yifan grabbed the toolbox en masse while Jaebum watched his back.

They were just running out of the shed when Luhan came screeching down the corner, " get the . Inside.!!" he yelled.

There were two vampires and a demon hot on his tail.

We, in the basement, could see all this from the window, and it had us holding our breath.

Luhan aint never lie when he said he was fast.Man was he fast. How a human could move that fast I don't even know. But he was fast. Like roadrunner aint had nothing on this boy. You could almost see the the trail of dust behind him.

He wasn't alone. He'd picked up a friend on his travels, and she was peddling a bike pell mell, full force ahead right next to him. 

Yifan and Jaebum ran through the front door, throwing their load on the floor and held the door open for the lady that Luhan had picked up, and Luhan himself. Both of whom came hurtling through the front door, Minseok slamming it shut right behind them.

" Basement!!" Yifan growled, " Go!!

Luhan grabbed the hand of the lady that had come in with him and dragged her in the direction of the basement. She was hurt. A wound under her ribs, scrapes on her hands and knees, deep scrapes, a bruise on her forehead, and cuts all down her legs. 

Yifan, Minseok and Jaebum were right behind him. They slammed the door down to the basement shut " get away from the window" Yifan ordered, " Minseok"

" On it," Minseok replied throwing a bag of salt at Jinyoung, who immediately doubled up on the line of salt he'd already put in the window sill, while Minseok re-lined the other window. Yifan re-lining the door as well. Sehun scrambled from the couch and rushed for Yifan as soon as Yifan stepped away from the door, attacking Fanfans legs in a bonecrushing hug.

Big brother Fanfan grunted and reached down to rub Sehuns back.

" So.." Big brother Fanfan gasped, " how far did you get?"

" 873" Sehun mumbled.

Yifan smiled and sat down, pulling Sehun into his arms," didn't know you could count that far buddy. I'm proud of you."

" Zo helped," Sehun answered with a pout.

" You should say thank you to Zo then," Yifan said. Sehun pouted at me and said

" Thank you Zo,"

I smiled at him.

" Now Luhan," Minseok growled," Why? Just why?"

Luhan grinned and said, " because.. because... because... because,"

" Because he's my hero," the new addition said.

We all turned to her and Luhan offered a most dramatic " Thank you " in her direction.

" You're hurt," Jackson suddenly said, " both of you."

" I'd be dead if it wasn't for your friend," the newcomer said.

" Dude, I highly doubt that. You are one serious badass" Luhan offered, " I came round the corner and she was fighting, I mean legit fighting this demon. With her handbag,"

The newcomer snorted, " um, it wasn't much of a fight. The damn thing had me pinned to the ground, and was basically just teasing me. So here your friend comes, and he just... throws his whole body against the demon. Throwing it off me, so I get up and he's trying to keep the demon from sinking it's teeth into him,"

" And then this beautiful badass of a woman grabs a rock and like lays into the beast man. She's grabbing my hand and pulling me up before I even know what's going on. There's a bike just ahead of us, so I push her onto it and yell at her to follow me," Luhan explains.

" Badass she may be," Mark said " but she's bleeding and I'm going to patch her up. Also, forgive him, he's too busy lusting after you to remember his manners. So what do we call you miss badass?"

Miss badass chuckled and said, " Teddy. My name is Teddy."

" Well Teddy. Hi. Your hero's name is Luhan, and i'm Mark, that's Fanfan...."Mark went around doing introductions. 

Teddy smiled at everyone and then allowed herself to be manhandled into a position on the floor so Mark could see to her wounds, while Jinyoung held Luhans leg between his own and rolled his eyes as Luhan flinched, even though the antiseptic was yet to make contact with his cuts.

" Dude," Jinyoung sighed in exasparation, " stop moving."

" It hurts," Luhan whined.

" I haven't even touched you yet," Jinyoung sighed.

" Ok, so I spoke in the wrong tense. It's going to hurt. Same difference," Luhan griped back.

" Oh my gosh," Jinyoung growled, " how are you such a baby?"

" He's not a baby," Teddy hissed, " he's my hero."

" Yes well, please tell your hero that I need to clean his wounds, so he needs to sit still," Jinyoung responded.

" Hero love," Teddy cooed, " hold still for the man please."

" Yes dear," Luhan cooed back, immediately holding still, by stuffing his shirt into his mouth.

" These are some nasty cuts on both of you," Mark commented, " but... you'll live."

" Thank you. All of you," Teddy said, " you didn't have to let me in. So thank you."

Yifan smiled and said, " please don't thank us for that."

" Um.. guys?" Lilee said softly, " is that clock correct?"

We all looked up at the clock in question, and a fewof the boys said some bad words, that we shall not repeat here.

The clock read 3:37pm. We had 23 minutes til the bomb dropped.

" We can do it," Jaebum said putting a calming hand on Yifans shoulder, " I'll start boarding up the windows. "

" I'll go grab blankets and stuff, and extra food." Jackson said.

" Ladies," Mark said, " is there anything in particular that you might need that us boys wouldn't necessairly think of?"

" You need tampons?" Dean asked me.

" No. Do you?" I asked her. She shook her head and we both turned to Teddy, who shook her head and said, 

" Though, I have heard that they can be used for more than your period, so if you see some boys you might want to grab them." Teddy said.

Jaebum had already started hammering the boards into the windows, and Jackson was already heading upstairs with Minseok following close behind him, to watch out for him.

" I'm gonna go grab the sat phone," Yifan said standing up.

I grabbed his sleeve, and he looked down at me.

" What can I do to help?" I asked.

Yifan looked around and said, " do you want to come up with me? You can help me bring things down?"

I nodded and got up, following him upstairs, my hand in his. First stop was his parents room,where he headed for the safe, put the code in and grabbed the sat phone. I couldn't help but watch the doors, the windows, watch the yard as he did that. There was a laundry basket in the corner and he grabbed it.Like I could read his mind, I pulled the covers off his parents bed and dumped them in the basket. While he pulled drawers open and grabbed clothes, some for us ladies. He glanced at the watch on his wrist and said, " come on. clothes for the kids in the next room, and then we should head down."

I nodded and followed him there, quickly grabbing handfuls of clothing, that we tossed in the basket. Then we rushed downstairs. 

The others were also just rushing in. Jaebum waiting by the door with plywood and hammer and nails. As soon as we came in through the doors he started boarding it shut.

We had food, we had flashlights, we had blankets for the cold night coming. We had the sat phone. We had each other. 

" Two minutes," Lilee warned.

" Ok, Everyone away from the walls then," Mark said." Flashlights ready, while I re-salt the perimeter,"

My heart fair swooned when Yifan grabbed both Sehun and I, and pulled us into his arms. 

Again, I don't think he realised what he was doing. I'm pretty sure I was just another small person to be protected. Jongin was biting his lip and eyeing us, and Yifan smiled.

" I'm big enough for three, why don't you come sit with Hunnie?" Yifan said.

Jongin glanced at his mother and Lilee nodded, then winced, only to squeal as Minseok, Jackson and Jaebum gently tugged her towards them, setting cushions in the curve of Minseoks crossed legs and leaning her back against them. Jackson taking her legs and placing them on his own, rubbing at her calves, while Jaebum threw a blanket over her.

Luhan and Teddy had been put on the floor, their heads cushioned by Chanyeol and Kyungsoo's laps, and one blanket covering them.

Dean was in a Jinyoung and Mark sandwich, looking all kinds of lost puppy in need of saving. .

" Thirty seconds," Lilee whispered softly, eyes on the clock above us.

I'm pretty sure we were all holding our breath. At least I was. I was terrified. Like what if the basement didn't hold up? What if the explosion was so big it reached us, and tore the house down? What if.. what if... what if...?

" Sehun and Jongin?" Big brother Fanfan said.

" Yeah?"

"Close your eyes and put your hands over your ears ok?"

They did. 

Big brother Fanfan tipped my chin, placed my hands over my ears, and kissed me.

I felt the explosion. Oh man did I feel that explosion.

Both the metaphorical one and the actual one. Yifan kissed me for the duration of that explosion. And then, listen to this.

This hot college boy had the audacity to blush ever so cutely, once he released me from paradise... err... I mean stopped kissing me. 

When I looked up, Dean had her face buried in Jinyoungs neck, and Minseok had his hands protectively cupping Lilee's belly. Luhan and Teddy, if i'm not mistaken were holding hands under the blanket. And outside. Outside it was dark. No light filtering in through the plywood. And the power in the basement was gone. The only light coming from a couple of flashlights that we'd before hand.

" Fanfan?" Sehun whispered.

" Yes Hunnie?" Big brother Fanfan replied.

" Can I open my eyes now?"

"Yes."

Sehun did, and looked around, then scootched into Yifan and clung tighter to him. He was scared. Honestly. So was I.

" I'm gonna see if there's anything online" Jaebum said softly, grabbing one of the laptops that we'd made sure to charge and turning it on. They were reporting it on the news as an explosion of unidentified origin. They were urging people to remain indoors until the nature of the explosion could be determined. To remain vigilant against the supernatural threat.

The satphone rang and Big brother Fanfan answered on the second ring.

" Hi dad... yes... yes... yes we made it on time. Yes.. yes... yes we're fine.... yes I think we can. Ok. Love you too dad.. he're Hunnie." He handed the phone to Sehun who said his quick I love yous to his dad then hung up.

" Dad says we should wait it out for about two days before trying to go out. The bomb they used was a small scale nuclear device, but dad doesn't want to risk us getting caught in any possible fallout." Big brother Fanfan said.

" Well then," Minseok said, " I suppose we should get comfortable. To the couch we go then."

We'd only been sitting on the floor to get away from the walls during the explosion, but now that the explosion had passed, we could get back on the couch, and get comfortable.

So we did. In various huddles. Sehun and Jongin sitting together between the huddle of me and Big brother Fanfan, and the huddle of Lilee, Minseok and Jaebum. Big brother Fanfan had found a battery operated childrens read aloud and had slotted a pair of earphones in it for Sehun and Jongin to listen to. And that had them pretty occupied. 

Then he pulled me into him and wrapped his arms around me. I sent Dean a look that screamed help me.  She sent me the same look back. Because Jinyoung and Mark still had her in a sandwhich, cuddled round her, and holding onto one of her hands each. 

" Hey," Jackson suddenly said, " I think the T.V might be working."

He was right. The power button was red for the T.V. And when we hit the power button, the t.v actually buzzed on. The T.V and the main power lines must have run on separate lines because only the T.V was working. Nothing else was. But that was good enough for us.

" So....?"Jackson said, " like who wants to watch a movie?"

We watched a movie. We didn't even know what movie. It was just a movie that was playing when we turned the T.V on, some action flick, which considering the circumstances we found ourselves in,seemed highly appropriate. 

Because I mean, hey, the movie provided much needed distraction. 

As did Big brother Fanfan. He was very distracting. Holding me against his chest as he was. Cuddling me as he was. He was very distracting. And I much appreciated it. 

Stop judging me- You know you'd have done the same in my position.

You know you would. 
Don't even deny it.