chapter 4

Halloween ever after

" Hey," Yifan whispered softly, " you awake?"

I nodded, not quite yet ready to speak.

" Did you sleep ok?" he asked me and again I nodded. 

" Fanfan," Sehun mumbled sleepily, as he woke up slowly, stirred awake probably by us talking, even if we were trying to be quiet.

" Yes?"

" I gotta go potty" Sehun muttered," you gotta go potty too."

Yifan raised an eyebrow at his baby brother, " I do?" he asked.

" Uh  huh. So we should go together." Sehun suggested, well, stated more so than suggested, and Big Brother Fanfan bit back a smile. Because he'd managed to figure out that Sehun just didn't want to go to the bathroom alone. I couldn't blame the kid. I didn't want to go to the bathroom alone either. But unfortunately for me, it's not like I could just ask big brother Fanfan to walk me to the bathroom. Yes, yes, I was rather envious of a five year old- stop judging me.

" Let me take Sehun to the bathroom," Big brother Fanfan said to me. I nodded and with a sad look upon my face bemoaned the warmth of his body against mine as he got up and left. The sadness upon my soul, you would have thought I was a young bride sending her groom off to war before the wedding night had even fully gone to rest. 

As soon as Yifan and Sehun had gone, Dean crawled across many a body to come and take Sehuns spot,making the most pathetic of puppy eyes at me she hissed, " save.me."

" From what?" I whispered back.

" The hot college boys. They've been flirting with me. All night long. I don't know what to do"she hissed back.

I blinked at her, " Why would you come to me for help?" I hissed, " I don't know what to do either?"

" Well ." Dean hissed, " come on man. You're my best friend, you can tell me anything and I'll listen."

So I shrugged and made a face at her, " I don't know? Flirt back?"

Dean stared at me," how?" she hissed, " I don't know how?"

" I don't know either!!" I hissed, " what did they even say to you?"
" That elephants have big butts so it's ok if she thinks she looks like one. Some of us are men,"  Kyungsoo offered.

" That elephants are also soft and cuddly and you can't get that with a skinny woman" Jinyoung offered, " some of us dream about being drowned and soft warm women."

" That elephants are also cute, and some of us are ers for cute" Luhan also added.

Poor Dean, had she been a woman of lighter complexion, she would have been quite red, but fortunately for her, the blush was hidden, by the lovely toffee brown of her skin. As it was she was practically burrowed in my bosom as she tried to hide from the assault, muttering into the comforting and bounteous swell of my chest, " help.me."

Really, why she would ask me of all people for help I don't know, because it's not like she didn't know that I was just as hopeless as her with dealing with hot college boys. Heck I only had to deal with one, who wasn't even flirting with me and I was all tongue tied and drooling. So what more an onslaught of like six?

" I don't know," I hissed," distract them. Just change the subject.Go the way of the frilled lizard and just like say something so completely outrageous they'll be too stunned to keep flirting with you?"

" Like what?" Dean sighed pulling her face out of my s for a moment ( she was allowed to use them for comfort, as she had best friend priveleges) then said, " seriously, I don't think I can live like this."

I commiserated, truly I did, but what was I supposed to do? And even more so, what was I supposed to do when Jinyoung sighed and rolled over to us, wrapped one arm around Deans waist and said, " say no if this makes you uncomfortable."

Dean blinked. One second. Two second. Three seconds.And Jinyoungs smile turned absolutely predatory, as he pulled her into his body and scootched backwards, stating very calmly," you were in Sehun's spot."

I waved goodbye to Dean and she looked at me with such betrayal in her eyes you would have thought I had killed her favorite stuffed animal or something. But I barely had enough time to ponder my betrayal as Yifan lay back down behind me and Sehun crawled over me to get back in his place from before.

I stared at Dean and mouthed the words, " help.me" as Yifan put his arm back where it had been, pulling both me and Sehun into an embrace. Dean was not very sympathetic, infact her silent gloat of "hah!" was rather unneccessary if you ask me.

We lay there for a little bit, none of us really wanting to get up and face the day. Because getting up meant facing the reality of a halloween themed world that we just weren't ready to deal with. But after a few minutes Jaebum who must have been watching the t.v while the rest of us pretended to sleep grabbed the remote control, turning the volume on the t.v up." Your dad's on tv." he said. The news was pretty much the same. But, the District Police Commisioner was on television, standing next to him the Mayor, and behind them other official looking people, amongst whom included Junma, and Sam. 

The District Police Commissioner was giving a press conference. The Chief was also Yifan and Sehuns father. I had known he worked for the District but I hadn't known he was the frigging head honcho of our district. 

He informed us, that as of roughly 1900 hours last night when the first reports first started coming in, the city had been besieged by the supernatural. He pleaded with the citizens to please take them seriously, to heed all warnings as they would in a second be given by the Department of the Unexplained, which yes was an unlisted to the public branch of the military and government, under the direct supervision of the National Security Agency, who had for the last two decades been conducting scientific research into the existence of the supernatural. 

First Junma spoke, and then she gave the podium to the public relations officer of the Supernatural Defense task force. He gave us a rundown of the supernaturals so far identified. 

We were at risk of

Vampires

Wendigos

Werewolves

Demons- many subsets 

Gumihos

Nyau's 

And many others still as yet unidentified.

All these creatures could be killed, they were by no means infallible, but still citizens were urged to remain cautious and vigilant. To steer clear of strangers. To keep garlic about there person as a deterrant to vampires, it wouldn't necessarily stop them from trying to like bite you, but it would um... dissaude them, perhaps providing you with enough time to run and hide.

We were advised to keep salt on our person. It would burn a demon where it made direct contact. Not like incenerate them, but it would hurt them.

Wendigos were creatures of insatiable greed, and were more likely to attack people in larger groups than lone rangers, so stay away from places of large crowds as they were most likely to attack there. 

And so on and so forth. Vampires could walk out in the daylight, contrary to myth, but they were weakened in the day, as were the Nyau and the Wendigo. Not so for the Gumiho or the werewolf.

It was a lot to take in. It truly was, and by the time the press conference was done, I wasn't sure I could breathe.I was quite ready to have a full blown panic attack.

Sehun was sitting in my lap looking as scared as I felt.

" Zo?" he whispered softly.

" Hmmm?" 

" Are you scared?"he asked me.

" Very," I whispered back.Sehun leaned in and burrowed his face into my throat.

" Fanfan will keep us safe til papa gets here," Sehun said," I'll help. Don't worry."

Be still my heart, the kid had me shook with how absolutely adorable he was, though, he had this look in his eyes that let you know he meant business.

" Yes he will," Mark added, " Fanfan will keep you very, very safe. And the rest of us will keep Dean safe."

Dean made a sound that might have been an aborted squeal. Poor Dean. No really. Poor Dean. What was a girl supposed to do when beseiged by so many hot college boys?

Its not like she could run.

Poor Dean.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to us, things were gwanning, over where all the bigwigs of the city were. Not just our city, other cities and districts included. Because see. In addition to the usual halloween night absolutely wierd emergency room visits, that included like.... I burnt my hair off, or like, we stitched my eyebrows open a little too tight, other emergency room visits just as strange, but not yet registering on anyone's wavelength had occured.

Because see, what happened to you when you got bitten by a vampire, wasn't that you became a vampire, no, they had to willingly turn you for that to happen. No. What happened was that you basically became a ravenous hungry kind of half-dead walking cannibalistic blood hungry creature.  A zombie. For lack of a better name,.

Now they couldn't turn anybody else, but, they could erm well... eat us. And spread disease. 

So Sam, Junma and the police commisioner, the supernatural defense task force, the mayor and others had entered into heated discussion following the press conference, as they'd learnt that there was an outbreak of a rather deadly infection, that had been contained to one patient who had been undergoing intensive in the hospital, until of course, ( because you know, it's not like things were bad enough as it was), a victim that had been bitten by a vampire, being treated in the intensive care and isolation unit, had woken up, ravenous,and roamed the hallway, entering the room of the infected patient, bitten him ( eaten him),  then returned to his own bed, sated.

The nurses that had come to check on him later had unfortunately been bitten, but not knowing that he'd eaten the previously ill now dead infected-with-deadly-disease-patient, had fought him off,isolated him, treated her wound and gone about her business. Passing the disease on to others. And because we were dealing with the supernatural, apparently the virus had increased tenfold in strength, decreasing in time required to begin showing symptoms, so by the time the press conference was ending, cases were being reported left right and center.

So, someone suggested burning the district, or at least the 20 mile radius surrounding the hospital down.

" Uh..." Sam growled,taking deep breaths as she tried to keep calm," and the rest of the district?Sir?We just burn them down as well."

"This is war," the man condenscendingly replied, " casaulties cannot be avoid."

"These are civilians we're talking about," Sam growled," am I to believe that civilian lives are acceptable losses?"

" This disease is spreading, and fast. We cannot fight these... these... these... supernatural things and disease at the same time," he snapped back, " yes. Burn the place."

Sam took a deep breath and her boss placed his hand on her wrist.

" I think we all understand the situation I must agree with Ms. Sam here, there are too many innocent civilian lives being put on the line here. We cannot just order a strike on the whole area."

" Evacuate it," someone suggested.

" We just got done telling everyone to stay indoors, now you want me to tell them to evacuate. To willingly go outside and travel for who knows how long, where they will be at real danger of running into any one of the many creatures we just described. Do you really think they will evacuate? I wouldn't" Yifans father, a.k.a Yixing asked.

And so they argued and argued and argued, til eventually it was decided, when a report came, indicating that in the last hour and a half infection incidents had increased by 5%, that they would indeed bomb the area.

It should be mentioned that Yifans' apartment was just shy of the blast radius. Because, you know, it's not like things were bad enough  for us, yeah.

 

Sam growled as she stalked down hallways, and headed towards the section of this underground bunker that had been sectioned off for members of the supernatural defense task force, her boss close behind her trying to keep her calm.

" Sam," Bambam said.

" Yes sir?" she said slowly, turning to face him, with her jaw clenched.

" Call your sisters.And that is an order. It is also an order that you make sure they are armed with information. More information than those idiots think we should be releasing to the public," her boss, Commander Kunpimook Bhuwakul a.k.a Bambam said to her and Sam blinked.

" Sir?" she asked.

" I was clear. I scanned my room for listening devices so it's probably best you make the phone call from there. In the meantime I'm going to go talk to Yixing," he said, and then he his heel. Sam blinked after her boss, then decided it was best not to look a gift horse in the mouth and quickly hurried to the mans office and called Dean.

At the same time that Junma and Yixing were calling Yifan.

Their phones buzzed at the same time.  And the rest of watched the two respective conversations like spectators eavesdropping on two athletes making play strategies.

" Sam.. you... you're not joking are you?"I heard Dean ask,and I had only heard sound so scared one other time in our lives, last night. 

" When dad?What.. what do you want us to do?" Yifan asked quietly. I didn't know him well,obviously, but I like to think that he sounded terrified..." ok.... ok... ok. Yes dad. Love you too. Yeah... um... he's right here. Hold on." Yifan handed the phone to Sehun, who spoke to both his dad and Junma then hung up and crawled into Yifans lap.

" Papa says I have to be really brave and listen to you," Sehun said, " he made me promise."

"Yifan?" Minseok asked softly, "what's going on?"

" I think we're about to find out," Jaebum said pointing at the t.v again, as Dean handed me her phone. 

" Hey kid" Sam said.

" Hi" I whispered back.

" Listen to me carefully. I need both you and Dean to stay with the boys you are with. And in a few minutes i'm gonna have to go and give another press conference, but afterwards we'll call you back and I'm gonna tell you, all of you some things. Ok.?"

" Sam, what's going on?" I asked carefully.

" They're going to bomb an area not too far from you. You might get caught in the blast radius," Sam said honestly.

I whimpered.

" I need you to stay with those boys, and I want you to listen to me. Are you listening?" she asked.

" Yes," I said softly.

" I will not. Let. Anything. Happen to you. I love you."

" I love you too," I whispered back.

" Ok, now hang up. I'll call you as soon as we're done this stupid press conference."

I hung up and turned to the t.v. Whereupon, Papa Yixing came upon the t.v and told everyone in " the following cities and areas to immediately begin evacuating the area."

We weren't one of the areas. But put us on the map and we were close enough for discomfort. 

" You've got to be kidding me" Jackson whispered," who the hell is gonna evacuate with demons and vampires and freaking wendigos roaming the street. It would be suicide." 

" That's what dad said. He said we're better off waiting til after the blast. Because it will at least take with it some of the supernatural. He doesn't want us to evacuate til after the blast," Big brother Fanfan said.

We all agreed. And you could tell from the look of pure frustration on Papa Yixings face that he too agreed that this was not the right way to go about things.

To alert the area, for those that perhaps had not yet seen the press release, a district wide emergency siren was sounded.Loud, piercing, and it made Sehun cry.

Yifan picked him up and patted his back. He didn't tell Sehun it was ok. He didn't tell him not to cry. He just patted his back til Sehun stopped crying. And then big brother fanfan rocked Sehun to sleep. 

When Papa Yixing, Papa Yixings assistant Baekhyun, Junma, Junma's secretary Jongdae, Sam, Commander Bambam and the public relations officer of the supernatural defense task force Tao called, Sehun was asleep in Yifans arms.

The collective force of the adults begun by giving us this advice.

" Get into a basement." Commander Bambam said, " do you have one?" he asked.

Big brother Fanfan shook his head.

" You need to get into one," Commander Bambam said, " You're gonna tape the windows down, tape the doors down. Stockpile as much water and dry food as you can, torches and obviously salt and garlic. Here I'm going to let Sam give you the rest."

Sam took over for him, and told us how, vampires could not enter your home unless they were given permission, that part of the myth was true. Werewolves could be reasoned with, and were not as bad as they were being made out to be, so if they had to chose between a werewolf and another supernatural, run towards the werewolf. There were incantations that could momentarily immobilise certain types of demons. She made us write them down and promise to start memorising them. It wouldn't work for all demons. Only some.

" Now kids, I'm about to ask you to do something absolutely terrifying," Junma said once Sam was done explaining, "I need you kids to find yourselves a basement before 1600 hours today and to get yourselves in there and locked down. Cell phones and power will probably be down, but internet might still be up, so charge a laptop and we'll communicate that way. If you go to the house there's a satellite phone in the safe Fanfan, the password is your birthday and Sehuns birthday and then dads and mine, backwards."

Yifan nodded.

" But don't worry about trying to get it if it's not safe. We'll find you no matter what." Papa Yixing said," all of you. Stay together. You'll be safer together, despite what we said about Wendigos. Also," Papa Yixing paused and Commander Bambam smiled and said.

" Also, if you should like... you know....take into your heads to like.. you know..... oh accidentally let slip on like social media or just yell it from door to door, for people to hunker down in their basements, I like would be only mildly disapproving in front of the people that would ask how the hell the information got out. Only mildly." 

Junma, Sam, Jongdae, Baekhyun, Yixing, and Tao all snorted at that.

" Oh and also," Sam said, " I wouldn't advise it, but if you can't run. Then fight. They hurt just like we do, even if they are exponentionally stronger. So as a last resort, if you can't run and hide. Then fight."

Once we had hung up, we all fell silent for about a minute and then Dean took a deep breath and said.

" So? We need a basement. Where do we find one?"

After discussing it for about ten minutes it was decided that Fanfans parents home was the closest, and would offer the most space and protection. 

I wasn't ready. I really wasn't ready to go back out there. But neither did I want to be blown away to smithereens.

So I reluctantly found myself standing sort of half behind Yifan, half next to him, Sehun in his arms with his bag of candy solidly gripped in his hand, ready to head out. 

I needed like a shot of alcohol, but since we had none, I decided I'd take the next best thing. Candy. That I tried to steal from Sehuns bag- only because I didn't want to wake him up by asking him- stop judging me. I successfully got a piece, was about to pop it into my mouth when I saw the puppy eyes Dean was making at me, and because I was the best of best friends I tossed her the piece I had been about to eat and stole another one for myself. 

Really though, please stop judging me- a little candy theft should be allowed in situations like this, forgiven even, I mean I was terrified and I needed something to calm my nerves. So did Dean. Which is why I did her a solid and stole another piece of candy for her.

" Stealing candy from children," Chanyeol tskd softly coming to stand behind Dean. 

" I need something to calm my nerves, stop judging me," she grumbled, and had she been a smarter woman, or one not quite so short, she would have looked up to see the absolutely predatory grin on Chanyeols face. And in the next second he had one arm wrapped around her waist and was leaning down to place a kiss on the side of her neck.

Dean squealed and turned her body to look up at him in shock.

" I said calm me down"  Dean hissed, " not wind me up!!"

" Oh sorry," Chanyeol said, " that always works on my mum.Maybe I just don't have the magic touch.Here let's try Jinyoung, maybe he can calm your nerves." They moved too fast for her, they were after all athletes, and before she could even think to protest, Jinyoung was standing right in front of her with a ridiculously dangerous grin on his face.Leaning in he placed a kiss on the other side of her neck. Dean made a strangled sound and her hands did a thing by her a side.

She was saved by Mark who pulled both Chanyeol and Jinyoung away and said, " leave the poor girl alone. Here, you can hold my hand if it will make you feel better,"

Dean latched onto his hand, only to be pulled into his arms and kissed right on the lips.

She truly squealed then and I slapped a hand over my eyes, muttering, " I'm too young for this."

Kyungsoo chuckled and said, " I promise no more kisses. Would you like to hold my hand?" to Dean.

" I don't trust you," she replied, and Kyungsoo pouted. Truly, it was a most heartbreaking pout. One she was weak to, and so found herself taking his hand. And then we did the terrifying and stepped outside the apartment.

I really wasn't ready for this.