Jae - Life's a surprise

DAY6 DREAMS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is what happens when your author refuses to do acadamic work and insists on getting this out before bed - enjoy!

---

"Hey Y/N... I'm really sorry... I can't go out tonight, its date night with Sungjin."

Not again.

Masking your disappointment, you quickly chirped out a response to your friend on the other end.

"It's alright then, you have fun with Sungjin. I'll see you another time."

You then ended the call before tossing your phone onto your bed and flopping down on it yourself afterward.

You've wanted to catch up with your family or friends but everyone was rejecting you for the same reason: date nights. You've called at least 3 friends and your cousin but everyone seemed to have a significant other to spend time with. Even your parents were going out to catch a musical together. Literally everyone was having something going on for them - except you.

 

You've never had a love life since young and growing up, you've never had a problem with that. You've always thought that boyfriends were a waste of time and money - which was probably true for a student. But as you gradually blossomed into a beautiful young lady and all your peers began to have a significant other, you found yourself spending more time by yourself and it does get lonely, like now. Recently, you've even been entertaining thoughts about being left on the shelf - something completely out of character to you. As much as you hate to admit it, the thought of growing old alone does scare you terribly, as it does to many other people. All you wanted was to spend some time with family and friends (and maybe find a boyfriend), was that too much to ask for?

 

After moping around on your bed for a few minutes, you decided that you would not waste away a good night just because you had no one by your side.

 

Well, a girl's gotta learn how to have fun by herself.

-

The moment you exited your car, all you could see were couples everywhere. Kissing, holding hands as they walked, coming together in the same colour scheme etc. Everything around you screamed 'couples!' and 'pairs!' and you stood like a sore thumb amongst the sea of lovers. However, you refused to let this deter you from achieving your purpose tonight. Lifting your chin up high and straightening your back, you walked tall and proud into the bar, your purposeful steps announcing your entrance. Choosing an outdoor seat facing the harbour to get a clear view of the evening sky, you declined the waiter’s offer of food and instead opted for a bottle of red wine instead. When the wine came, you took your time savouring the sweet alcohol in small sips. From the corner of your eye, you could make out a couple holding hands and giving one another kisses on the cheek. Was it so hard for a girl to not have to be reminded of her lack of a love life? Well, apparently not. Attempting to quench your frustration, you downed the next cup in one mouthful.

And then another,

And another,

And another.

By the time you got the end of the bottle, you were positively drunk. Having no rational control over your body, you walked out of the restaurant and onto the wharf without paying and when the waiter tried to chase after you, you pushed him away with an unusually good amount of force, leaving the waiter dumbfounded at your diminishing figure. That was when the waiter felt a firm hand being placed onto his shoulder, before a towering figure with spectacles turning out to be his saviour.

“I’ll pay for her bill – keep the change as a tip.”

Pressing a hundred dollar bill into his hand, Jae took after you.

-

Sashaying along the wharf in the cooling summer night, you began to let out a string of colour profanities from your lips, cursing the world and your terrible luck for leaving you without a boyfriend. When you finally got exhausted, you collapsed onto the ground in a heap, taking off your red heels and flinging them far, far away before curling up into a foetal position to bawl your eyes out.

“Hey, are you ok?”

Sniffling, you lifted your head from your arms, making eye contact with someone wearing thin, golden glasses and somewhere in your mind, you decided that the person in front of you was Harry Potter.

Letting a gasp escape your pink lips, you exclaimed this piece of information out loud to no one in particular.

“Harry Potter! I like your glasses!”

Reaching out, you pulled Jae’s glasses off his face before placing them on your own. The glasses were too big for the bridge of your nose and they kept slipping off but that did not deter you from looking up at Jae and giggling to him.

Shaking his head in disbelief as his lips cracked to form a smile, Jae could not believe what he was seeing right now. Were you even real? How could someone go from vulgar, sobbing mess to a giggling high school girl now? Jae could not believe the duality that existed within you and he blamed it on the alcohol as the cause of your haywire cognitive functions. Even with the smudged makeup and glasses that were too big for your face, he actually thought that you looked cute. But no matter how cute you looked, Jae knew that getting you home was of utmost importance.

“Hey erm… are you sober enough to tell me where you stay? I’m going to send you home – I can’t possibly leave you here.”

Alas, his words were clearly not registered and now, you were beginning to fiddle around with his glasses, muttering in broken sentences about how much you adore them.

“Never mind, I’ll help myself.”

Opening up your purse, he dug around for your identity card and finally got your address as well as your name.

Y/N huh? An interesting name for such an interesting character.

“Well, Y/N, let’s get you home now.”

Turning to face you, he realised that you were already asleep, your head leaning against the cool metal railing of the wharf. Letting out a deep sigh and light chuckle afterwards, Jae gently picked you up bridal style before retrieving your heels and purse, carrying you all the way into the passenger seat of your car as he took the wheel.

-

When your parents opened the door that night, to say they got a shock of their lives was an understatement. Never would they have expected a man to show up at the door step at midnight, much less one that was carrying their daughter. Being the dramatic person that she is, your mum had to say the most inappropriate thing in the world.

“Oh my god is she dead?”

Blinking rapidly, Jae his lips before replying.

“Eh, no she isn’t, she just had too much to drink. I know this looks really inappropriate and very misleading but may I?”

Opening the door a little wider, your dad led the way to your room and stayed in there till your mother chased him out and closed the door.

“What are you doing leaving them alone inside!”

“Letting them do their things of course!”

“What, are you insane?”

“You don’t know how long I’ve waited to see her appear home with a man in tow! Now would you just s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter