Jae - Slowly, Quietly, Falling

DAY6 DREAMS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing you noticed was the shoes. There was not a single pair that was matched – the most intriguing one had to be the pair of flip flops, one black and one white.

This shoe size is really big; it’s almost twice of mine.

Closely the door silently behind you, you observed the space quietly. To your left, there was a kitchen with an island counter top. It looked clean, but you suspect it’s because nothing ever been done in that space. The space right in front of you was the living room and by a corner of the wall, you found an electric and acoustic guitar, the earth tones of both complementing one another. Down the hallway on your right, you found two rooms on the left, the first was occupied and the second was not, automatically making that your room. The space was clean and cosy; just like how you liked it. You decided that the first order of matters would be to unpack. Heading to the bathroom with your toiletries in hand, you found male cleaning products lining the entire place from shampoos to shaving cream.

Calm down Y/N, don’t be silly. You can’t possibly be rooming with a male. Maybe she just has a preference for male products? Anything’s possible right?

And yes indeed, anything was possible.

Before you could do anything else, a voice came from behind you.

“Excuse me, who are you?”

“Hi, I’m – ”

You didn’t manage to complete your sentence, simply because your suspicions have been confirmed.

You were staring back at a topless male with a sleepy look on his face that suggested you were conversing with someone that was not fully functional yet. Reality had just slapped you in the face. Your roommate was really going to be a male. That was when you let a scream tear from your throat and all hell had broken loose.

-

After much screaming back and forth, here you were seated on the couch in the living room with said male sitting on the floor in front of you with some clothes on. Even then, he was almost at your eye level.

He's so ridiculously tall it's unfair.

After an intense staring game, he finally broke the silence.

"I'm Jae what's good?" He then stuck out his hand, which you took.

"Y/N"

"So tell me what you're doing in my apartment again?"

"You mean OUR apartment. As I have so kindly mentioned 10 times before, I am your new roommate."

He then let out a scoff, which you took to great offense.

"I must be dreaming." Jae then closed his eyes, pinched his arms before opening his eyes again.

"Surprise Jae! I'm not gone yet and you're not dreaming."

You then crossed your arms as you watched him groan.

"There must be some mistake!"

"I would like to think so too, but unfortunately no."

"I'm going to be stuck with you? Lord have mercy."

"I think I should be the one saying that. Let's just strike a deal ok? It's really simple: just keep this place liveable and I'll leave you alone. Deal?"

"Deal."

But of course, you can't trust the devil when you make a deal with him.

 

Jae was an absolute pain to live with. It was almost as if he made it his personal life goal to make your life a living nightmare. There was not a single day when you could be spared from his teasing or torture.

 

“Jae, where's the coffee sachets?”

"On the top shelf."

“Goddamnit.”

"Good luck reaching it shortie."

 

“Stop walking around the apartment topless!”

“Why? Can’t deal with a little hotness sweetie?”

“Don’t make me stab you with my fork.”

“Feisty~” He then threw you a wink, causing you to lose all your appetite.

 

“You used all my soap.”

“Of course I did, they smelled so good.”

“I just bought this huge bottle last week and it’s all gone now!”

“That cannot be helped; taller people naturally have bigger bodies that require more soap. Besides, sharing is caring.”

 

“What is that sack that you’re wearing? You look like a grandma from the 50s!”

“It’s just an oversized shirt! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM WITH IT?”

 

“CASTLE ON THE HILL!” Shouts of pop lyrics would be followed by the aggressive strumming of Jae’s guitar next door, causing you to slam your pillow over your ears in a futile attempt to block out his singing. It was taking you all your willpower to not go over and strangle him.

 

No matter what you did, Jae would always have a sarcastic, unsolicited comment hanging on his lips to be hurtled at you later. He was out for blood and you were wearing thin.

 

Today had been a terrible day. First of all, your alarm didn’t go off, causing you to be late for your lecture. By the time you got there, it was over, causing you to get an earful from your lecturer. In the next class, you found out that you got a failing grade on an important assessment for the most ridiculous reason: your lecturer didn’t like what you had written. You were, of course, frustrated but you knew better than to argue with her. You had also gotten a call from your mother saying that your grandfather had a really bad fall and was now in the hospital. And for the last cherry on top, someone had to spill coffee over your new white shirt. The series of misfortune that continuously wrecked your day finally spilled out and you had spent a good half an hour stuck in the washroom trying to wash off the stains before breaking down into tears.

Why do I always have such bad luck? First I get a ty roommate and then now I also have to deal with this nonsense!

Another half an hour was then spent crying. By the time you were done, you dragged your tired body back to the apartment, praying with all your might that Jae would not be there so that you could be spared. Of course, no such luck. He was sitting on the couch strumming his guitar when he caught sight of you, launching into another verbal assault.

“Gosh you look horrible, like some ugly fish.”

And, that was the end of your fuse.

“Yea I get it Jae, I GET IT! I’m ugly, short, incompetent! I am a mixture of all these undesirable things in the world… but I…” By now you were choking on your words from all the tears threatening to spill over and behind that blurry screen you could see Jae’s shocked face; he had finally realised the severity of the situation. The last part of your sentence came out as a whisper, your vulnerability showing through the crack.

“But I don’t need to be reminded of it daily, it hurts, it really hurts”

Turning around, you slammed the door on your way out and for the rest of the night, you spent it at a 24 hour café where Brian had found you.

“Oh Y/N? What are you doing here so late at night?”

Sweet Brian. You knew him from business lessons and he was an absolute joy to be around. Both of you had quickly became friends and you also found out that he was the bassist for the band DAY6 which Jae was also a part of.

“Hi Brian. I’m working on some urgent assignment.”

“Is Jae being too noisy again?”

“No, I just wanted a new place to work on things to think better.”

“Ah~ We’re actually having a gig at Evening Luna tomorrow, do you want to come and hear us play? He’s actually a pretty decent guy when he plays the guitar; I don’t know why he’s such a prick to you.”

I would love to hear you guys play but I don’t want to face Jae so soon…

“I can’t… I’m really sorry Brian.”

“Oh… it’s alright then, there’s always another time! Also, are you ok? Did Jae upset you very badly?”

“It’s... I had a really terrible day. Both academic and family problems are coming at me from both sides and I just need some time away from that apartment and our school grounds in general. But, I’ll be fine I guarantee.”

“Ok, I respect your space. Well, you have my number; call me if you ever need someone to talk to. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Thank you.”

You waved as he left the café, wondering why Jae can’t be half as nice as Brian is.

 

The next day before the gig, Brian confronted Jae about you.

“What did you do to Y/N Jae? She looked really miserable last night you know?”

“I didn’t do anything to her!”

“Well then, I guess she finally snapped. I don’t know what you’ve been doing to her, but I don’t think she deserves that sort of treatment from you. You should apologise if you know you’ve done something wrong.”

That night, Jae left you your favourite strawberry cheesecake in the fridge (courtesy to Brian) with a note saying “I’m sorry – Jae” attached to it.

The next day, the cake was gone and so was the note, and Jae knew he had been forgiven.

-

Since then, your relationship with Jae has significantly improved. He stopped annoying you and sometimes you’ll have breakfast together. It was during these moments where you began to unravel the real Jae; the one that had brilliant thoughts to share and a cute infectious laugh. The first time you asked him to play a song for you, he seemed rather unwilling but after much spurring from you, he had finally agreed.

“What song do you want me to play?”

“Better Man.”

“Why do you want to hear t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter