Chapter 11 : Blood

In Another Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 11: Blood

 

Minkyung’s head was pulsing and her eyelids felt extremely heavy. The walk home had been long and tedious and she still really hasn’t accepted anything. Her thought on Yebin had changed in the past weeks, at first she liked her, and then she had no recollection of her at all but was replaced with unwanted emptiness, she then returned all her memory which left her so perplexed and now she tells her she comes from an extended bloodline of pureblood monsters?

 

Her parents wouldn’t be home yet, so the house was empty. He stomach rumbled, she had left her money at home so she hasn’t eaten since breakfast. She looked around the cupboard before making herself some instant noodles.

 

While she was stirring the noodles, she looked back at her arm, the same arm that had been controlled. The water was boiling in the background, reminding Minkyung of the events that occurred not too long ago. Her arm felt so foreign and she had absolutely no control over it. She thought back to everything that happened as she prepared the noodles.


 

It was all rather unbelievable but she had seen it and experienced it. She saw how she manipulated the water, she had seen how she made rain and she definitely saw how she blood bended her arm. She had found it easy, she thought to herself. She wasn’t even conscious of it. She could have killed me on the spot. If she was angry, she could just kill us all. Why? Why have we been chosen to live in a world where humans and monster have to live together. They could probably cover their tracks if they did kill someone. And she said she was a pureblood too. That means she probably can control some other element. She could take over the whole world within seconds. She’s pure blooded yet, she looks so human. Yebin said so herself that purebloods found it difficult to turn human, that even if you could, it wouldn’t be for long and would likely drain all their energy. Why is that she looks human? And Nayoung too. It can’t be possible.


 

The noodles had cooled by then and she started to eat. She felt the soft flavourful noodles fill and the warm salty broth . She had forgotten to enjoy even the smallest joys in her life. She finished the meal quickly and continued to wash the dishes. She felt the cold water slide down her hands, contrasting the warmth. She paused to think about availability of water, how it was everywhere. Whenever she sweats, whenever it rains, wherever there's a creek, whenever she takes her pills, wherever animals and humans go.


 

Yebin. Yebin. Yebin. Her name repeated itself in her mind. She pictures the small petite girl smiling like there was no tomorrow. She saw her eyes light up and just pure joy radiating from her. She could see that she had no control over her smiling mouth and she had held her arms high asking for a hug. She was so sweet.  Minkyung had notice every single time the girl looked at her, she had seen every time they had walked past each other, trying to Minkyung to notice her. Yet, she never always responded. Perhaps it was because Minkyung herself was too shy but she likes to think it was because when she did respond it would be even more special.

 

She had thought back to the time they first texted each other.

 

Flashback

 

Minkyung had seen Yebin on the verge of breakdown all day during school. She first noticed when she was waving to her and she replied with such a meek smile that Minkyung didn’t even think she was smiling. For the rest of the day, whenever she passed her, she didn’t even look up and she didn’t say a single word. Finally, she took a peek at her during lunch and saw her looking extremely dejected, not doing anything and just zoning out into her own thoughts. Without realising, her own smile faded away to be replaced with a slight frown. She took it upon her own initiative to find her number and text her.

 

She didn’t have to wait long for an opportunity. As she was waiting for her bus to come, she noticed one of Yebin’s close friends frantically trying to organise her stuff, dropping countless amounts of books and pens on the floor as she tried to pick them up. She walked up towards her and picked up one of her textbooks, handing it back to the girl.

 

“Oh, thank you so much Minkyung-ssi,” she greeted Minkyung, bowing after accepting her book.

 

How does she know my na- oh wait nevermind. Minkyung quickly recovered from her thoughts as she smiled back at the girl.

 

“No worries..?” she paused hesitantly, hoping the girl would understand it as an invitation to state her name.

 

“Eunwoo,” she replied.

 

Minkyung smiled “It’s no worries Eunwoo, just call me Minkyung unnie.”

 

“Ye-yes, Minkyung unnie. Thank you for your help, but I must run before I miss my bus.”

 

“Yes, of course, but before you go, may I ask if you could give me Yebin’s number? I need something from her as soon as possible.”

 

“Oh yes, hold on.”

 

She spent a few seconds digging through her bag, looking for her phone. She pulled it out and showed her Yebin’s number which Minkyung took out a pen and wrote on the back of her hand.

 

“Thanks a lot, Eunwoo! Go! Before you miss your bus and be careful to not drop anything!”

 

“Thank you unnie, it was nice talking to you!”

 

The two of them waved goodbye to each other. Minkyung stared at her, not looking away until she was out of sight. She wonders if the girl even noticed Yebin’s mood today. She certainly didn't even realises that I never introduced my name to her yet.

 

She registered the number on her phone and sent her a text.

 

‘Hello! It’s me, Minkyung!’


 

She left it at just that so that she could talk to her when they’re both online. When she arrived home, she saw that she replied.

 

‘Hello Minkyung unnie!’

 

Sent 9 minutes ago.

 

‘ How are you today ?’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter